Patient Comments: Tinnitus - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with tinnitus? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Chickie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 28

I have had tinnitus in both ears since I was a child. I believe it is due to many ear infections when I was very young. The noises are constant. They sound like tones or pitches, sometimes I hear heartbeat in my right ear. The sounds are numerous with different pitches and volume all at once. I find it very difficult to concentrate. I have not had any treatment (yet). I have had hearing tests which show hearing loss.

Comment from: Vivek, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: February 20

There was acute onset of ringing at night 2:30 am and I woke up. I had slight lack of sleep and was dreaming profoundly for few days. I recorded blood pressure (BP) 157/115 mmHG. I had numbness over pinna, unable to hear any sound from left ear. BP settled after few hours. Hearing recovered within 10 to 15 minutes. Sensation recovered after few months progressively. But a faint continuous ringing persisted since 1 year. I am having issues of feeling of dryness of soft palate a few weeks before the tinnitus. Also there was narrowing of the auditory canal while putting an ear bud to clean it since few years. Flickering in eustachian tube occurred intermittently after the episode. Now there is a feeling of something liquid flowing while lying, like gravity assisted along with mild ear pain (persists for few minutes and soon I turn my head for fear that it might increase).

Comment from: Elly Luff, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: May 22

I hear music; certain songs over and over again, only when I am alone. The tinnitus stops when watching TV or while listening to radio. I have a hearing aid. I have musical ear syndrome (MES).

Comment from: lucy1056507, 75 or over Female (Caregiver) Published: April 01

My mother has had tinnitus for at least 5 years now, heard lots of noises as loud as a lawn mower. Recently, she says she"s been hearing music instead, the same song over and over. She says it's driving her crazy.

Comment from: jakebear, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: January 08

Tinnitus caused long time hearing loss in left ear. I hear constant ringing noise but it seems from both ears. I have recently experienced dizziness.

Comment from: Widget, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: August 25

On May 4, 2015 I had wax removed from both of my ears. My primary physician said there was a little wax in my ears. However the ENT said my ears were full and he proceeded to use a metal scoop and dig the wax out. No liquid used, just digging which hurt a lot. I told him he was hurting me but he kept on going. When I got home that day I noticed my voice sounded tinny and sort of vibrating. I can't hear what anyone says on the phone or TV. I have had a hearing test but it has not been conclusive. Whatever the doctor did he damaged my hearing because I could hear just fine before I went to him.

Comment from: tomlane261, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: May 13

I have a constant ringing of the ears that will sometimes lessen for brief periods to the point where I can hardly hear the ringing.

Comment from: mae, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: August 12

I have had tinnitus for fifteen years with I a high pitched two tone sound, and have learned to ignore the ringing. Two months ago another sound was added, a deep tone that has a sporadic rhythm, that mimics human speech. It varies from soft and muted, to painfully clear, and loud. After trying sound machines, ear plugs, my hearing aid, and meditation, I have a difficult time sleeping. My MRI shows no brain tumor, I am not schizophrenic, and my GP and Audiologist can offer no help. I had a difficult root canal in an upper molar right before this began and wonder if this could contribute to this sudden onslaught of tinnitus.

Comment from: Trish, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 02

I have tinnitus and am scared I have a brain tumor, but was wondering if tinnitus can be a symptom for neck problems.

Comment from: uman, 19-24 Male Published: March 11

I had fungus in my left ear about 18 months ago.so i was having cleaning exercises by ENT twice a week. The fungus went away within a month. But what I got in return was that whistling sound in my ear. So in my case those hard sessions of cleaning ignited the cause.

Comment from: mita, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: March 11

I am a retired builder. Working around skill saw noises 12 hours a day; I found it necessary to have my ears checked. The test result shows that I loss about 75 percent of my hearing. While I am watching TV, I would have the volume turned up to 100, that is without the hearing aids on and 50 volumes. It is now March the tenth and i have had this ringing in my ears since February 12. So I am the new boy on the street .You can imagine how confused I was. I am waiting to see the specialist. Yes by wearing my hearing aids I have deadened the noise to the point that I can cope.

Hearing Ringing in Your Ears?

Subscribe to MedicineNet's General Health Newsletter