Patient Comments: Tinea Versicolor - Treatments

What treatment has been effective for your tinea versicolor? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: WILLIAM, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: September 06

I put pure bleach on a rag standing in the shower out of the water. Scrub hard, then wet the rag and scrub some more. Feel the burn, get under the water. It is extreme, but works in 2 applications. Believe me, I have tried everything else. It always returns every year. Be careful, it is bleach.

Comment from: WILLIAM, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: August 22

I put pure bleach on a rag standing in the shower out of the water. Scrub hard, then wet the rag and scrub some more. When you feel the burn, get under the water. It is extreme, but works for tinea versicolor in 2 applications. Believe me I have tried everything else. It always returns every year. Be careful, it is bleach.

Comment from: Kara99, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 01

I had white scaliness on upper arms during one winter. I told the dermatologist that the tinea versicolor was better after a couple of tanning bed visits before a winter vacation. Dermatologist explained it is a yeast thing, fixed by sunlight and the tanning bed mimicked the sun during the winter. He told me he shouldn't probably tell me that the tanning bed might help. It never returned after the sunny vacation.

Comment from: Average Joe, Male (Patient) Published: January 06

I have severe tinea versicolor and have had so for years. I have never permanently gotten rid of it however I can treat it and get it off my skin when need be and it usually stays away for 3 to 9 months at a time. As suggested using extra strength Selsun Blue 2.5 once or twice daily doesn't really work. I apply a liberal amount 4 times a day and leave it on for twenty to thirty minutes, repeating this for 4 days and the fungus is eliminated. It stinks and it is inconvenient but it works. I have tried everything possible and this is the only way I can get rid of it for months at a time.

Comment from: dede, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 11

As child in Chicago in winter months I suffer with psoriasis behind my ears and sides of my nose. My mom treated it with an ointment by Tegrin which is no longer OTC. Many years later I now have tinea versicolor. I didn't know what it was until my neighbor gave me selenium to try and it worked wonders. Later I went to the doctor with the same symptoms and requested the selenium shampoo. He reluctantly did and when I followed up he was surprised by the results. What depresses me the most is that my outbreaks are on my face; and every now and then, I get a spot between my breasts. This time it came back sooner, I wonder if it can be something I am eating. You think having this on your body is bad; facial tinea is a lot worse.

Comment from: Twags, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 30

I have had tinea versicolor for many, many years. I have always played sports and been an avid beachgoer all of my life. Selsun Blue does not work for me as quickly as I would like and it smells awful, however a very good dermatologist prescribed the Nizoral pills. He told me to take 2 of them with food, sweat off 30 minutes later, let the sweat dry on my body and not shower for 24 hours. This took the spots away almost immediately. I will be asking my doctor for a new prescription.

Comment from: soul, (Patient) Published: January 22

Frequent bath in sulfur powder plus Epsom salt soak is effective for tinea versicolor. Although effective I hate sulfur ointment because of the sticky 'granule-y dirty feeling' right after shower and hate the neem oil because of such strong garlic smell. In the evening at home I want to smell nice not repulsive to people around me so these 2 treatment options I couldn't do it. So the bottom line, I use these essential oils into aloe vera gel or fractionated coconut butter: oregano, sage, tea tree oil being must, (if money is not a concern add lavender, palmarosa and geranium. They are all antifungals and nature's perfume). Both aloe vera gel and fractionated coconut butter dry quick so in 10 to 20 minutes I put on my pajamas.

Comment from: ladybug, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: June 02

I have had tinea versicolor (TV) since my teenage years and since the recent flare ups in adulthood, simple OTC antifungal creams like found in the dollar tree and the 88 cent Walmart brand work just fine. If I use them at the first sign of reoccurrence it fades rather quickly. If I let it take over my back, neck, and chest, it takes longer to fade but the itching subsides quickly. It also helps when I shower directly after sweating as fungus thrives on sweat and that"s what TV is.

Comment from: funinthesun, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 05

I have never been to a dermatologist for tinea versicolor but all my symptoms are identical to ones that people diagnosed have described. I've had it for years and it just keeps spreading. I have tried Selsun Blue and that seemed to help but I was going through it quickly and now they don't carry it at my grocery anymore. I can't find any over the counter products with selenium sulfide, ketoconazole, or pyrithione zinc. I know there used to be a product called Zunspot but I don't think they make that anymore. I wonder if yeast balancing supplements might help.

Comment from: Itch-e-n-scratch-e, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: February 13

I was first diagnosed in 1985 with tinea versicolor while in the US Navy. The corpsman (similar to nurse practitioner) did a skin scraping to identify it. He said it has a nick-name in medical school as 'spaghetti and meatballs' because of how it looks. Because I was in the Submarine Navy there were more people than there were beds, hence we shared (hot rack). Because of this he said I could no longer share bunks because it is contagious when using the same bed. After leaving the military it came back with a vengeance while I was working in a very hot plastic extrusion factory. During this time I was noticing that the tinea was spreading on my skin due I think to the very high factory temperatures. A number of times I experienced what felt like sweat rolling up my back. I think this was a large number of tinea raising because hot air raises. The insurance group doctor said he did not see anything on my back, neck or arms and would not give me a prescription. He finally got so tired of me saying it feels like bugs are crawling on my skin that he gave in and prescribed a shampoo that it turns out was for head lice and body lice. He had me on that for three bottles per month for one year. It wasn't until I changed to Veterans Administration doctors that they are treating me with 2.5 percent selenium sulfide and 2 percent ketoconazole.

Comment from: FaerieWoman, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 24

I've had tinea versicolor for nearly 12 years. I first saw a spot on my belly when I was pregnant with my daughter but didn't think anything of it. Around the time she turned two years old, the rash started spreading. They gave me creams and told me to try the Selsun Blue thing, but I couldn't afford to keep up with it and was going through some difficult years. These days I use clotrimazole cream but it's hard to reach some of the spots on my back. I'm going to try the apple cider vinegar next time I take a shower!

Comment from: Lady 100, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 17

I suffered with the outbreak a little over 10 years ago when I was carrying my first child and I didn't know what it was. I ran into a woman about two years later that said she suffered with it as well but she didn't have any sightings on her skin and I asked what she had used. She told me she used an antifungal pill called Fluconazole and Selenium Sulfide shampoo. I went to my doctor and explain to him what I had heard and after he check my allergies he proscribed the pill and topical and it disappeared for about 3 years and came back but I went back to my doctor and got another prescription and haven't seen it again.

Comment from: ab, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 02

I have dealt with this for about 10 years. I have found that a sulfur ointment can really help control a small outbreak. Be sure to cover a larger area than just where the spots are. It's also great for your skin. However if it's serious I was given a prescription for nizoral oral tablets and that cleared it right up. It also helps me to control it before it starts by limiting the amount of sugars in my diet.

Comment from: Versicolor sufferer, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: December 27

I've tried Clinical Strength Head and Shoulders with 1% Selenium Sulfide, 1% Clotrimazole antifungal cream, 2% Miconazole Nitrate anti-fungal skin treatment, and Banana Boat Kids SPF50+. The Selenium Sulfide helped for a while and then because ineffective within weeks. The only thing that seems to work long term is continual use of the Banana Boat sunscreen. The active ingredients are Homosalate 15%, Octinoxate7.5%, and Octisalate 5%.

Comment from: Dixie, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: September 27

I have had Tinea Versicolor since i was in my teens. My father has it as well as my brother. Its mainly on our back and now around my breast as well as pubic area. It is a major issue for me now that it is spreading up my neck towards my face. I have tried many things in the form of shampoos and prescription creams but it smells awful and is hard to apply to all areas. I live in Alabama which is not the ideal place for such a problem. Now that I see there is an oral prescription, I will definitely be looking in to it! Thanks so much, glad to know there are more options!!

Comment from: 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 13

I was diagnosed with tinea versicolor when I was a teenager (close to 20 years ago). I wasn't given anything to treat it, but I was given stuff for acne. That cleared it up. It flared up again when I got pregnant, however, I couldn't take an antibiotic to treat it. It flared up again with my second pregnancy, but I gave birth 18 months ago, and I still have patches of it. The most annoying spot on is on my back on my bra line. I'm constantly scratching my back, and it's in a hard-to-reach area. I'm going to bring it up to my doctor at my next visit, and I'm hoping for a remedy this time.

Comment from: lolamanni, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 18

I've had Tinea for 25 years. My mother and her family had it also. Started as flat, red, itchy bumps; usually after being in sun/heat. When I moved to a warmer climate, the red bumps would still appear, but after I cooled down they turned to lightened skin discolorations. It almost looked like I had picked a bad sunburn. And the itching? Ugh, it can be miserable! Alas, I found a cheap regime that works for me.. Keep everything--body, clothes(bras!), sheets, etc--CLEAN, and wear cotton. Selenium sulfide 2.5 lotion/shampoo, 15 min a night for 2 weeks will knock it out for a little under a year. For a cool, dry climate, you'd probably have to do less and it'll likely stay away longer. Great tips on here! I'll have to try the cutting back of sugar and yeast.

Comment from: Helena, 35-44 Male (Caregiver) Published: July 06

My husband suffered with tinea versicolor since he was in his teens. He used the oral medication and Selsun Blue intermittently to treat it but, as the report says, it always returned. He noticed that giving up sugar and yeast from his diet for a few months prevented its return. Now, he has some occasionally but for the most part is sugar free and eats sourdough bread only. It has helped enormously. Helena, Melbourne, Australia

Comment from: Nikki34, Female (Patient) Published: June 19

I have suffered from tinea versicolor for 8 years. I have tried nearly everything - ketoconazole cream (prescribed by my dermatologist), tea tree oil, Selsun Blue, and Naturasil products. None of the above worked. Then I tried Ultra Colloidal Silver Gel, and it got rid of my tinea in a month. I applied it twice a day and washed the infected area with hydrogen peroxide before. It worked great, and it didn't smell bad. It is such a relief to have finally found a product that works against my tenacious tinea.

Comment from: didi, 25-34 Female Published: May 10

I've started on a three cycle course of Ketazol for my tinea versicolor. A month and a half ago I took 10 Ketazol's for 10 days. It took a month break from it. I started again on a 10 day course, then took another break for a month. Then, finally did my last 10 day course. It's starting to clear up slowly, yet my back is itchy.

Published: March 26

For many years I've had tinea versicolor. Selenium sulfide smells and doesn't work for me. Ketoconazole shampoo and cream also didn't work for me and are expensive.

Comment from: MDtoBE, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 02

I was prescribed the topical anti-fungal Ketoderm. Within a month, the appearance of my back was getting back to normal! This happened over 2 years ago and I haven't had a recurrence since. Additionally, I make sure that I dry my back thoroughly after showers and keep dry as much as possible. No more long wet hair dangling down my shoulders!

Comment from: X9, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: September 27

The best and effective treatment for Tinea, is any shampoo with 1% Selenium Sulfide or Banana Boat Sun screen spray. You just can use it for 1 week and expect it to quickly fade, you have to either wash with it every morning or use it as a lotion at night and wash in the morning. Or you can go to your doctor and ask for 100% Selenium lotion.

Subscribe to MedicineNet's Skin Care & Conditions Newsletter