Patient Comments: Tinea Versicolor - Signs and Symptoms

What were your signs and symptoms associated with tinea versicolor? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Nonstopcougher, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 26

I have been sick with bronchitis and a sinus infection for about 6 to 7 weeks now. I have been to the doctors twice and the emergency room. I have been put on three different antibiotics, prednisone, an albuterol inhaler, and I take OTC cold medications. I am still coughing a lot and have terrible coughing fits. I sound like someone with emphysema. I will cough until I throw up but the doctors don't really have any new treatments for me. They did a chest X-ray and I didn't have pneumonia. I am really tired of this.

Comment from: jenny, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: June 02

I have had severe emotional stress so frequent loose bowel movements occur all the time. I wonder if menopause causes you to have more frequent loose bowel movements, although I always had this colitis problem, it just got worse as I am older. Perhaps it helps to avoid milk and bread and red meat and too many tropical fruits and cooked vegetables, anyway I hardly eat bread mostly milk. I just want to stop opening my bowels, it is draining and embarrassing.

Comment from: Noelle, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 28

I have had tinea versicolor since my mid-twenties. I am now 59. I"ve never found anything that stops it for more than a couple of weeks. It"s spread from my back, up my neck, and on to my scalp. The itching is so intense that I scratch my head bloody while I"m sleeping. I"ve tried everything mentioned and nothing really helps.

Comment from: Sherlock, 45-54 Male Published: April 25

Using dandruff shampoo to treat tinea versicolor is a myth. It rarely works. I've had it for 31 years. I tried all the Selsun treatments. All that did was make me smell like sulfur. Canestan cream does nothing. Two things that I've found that work really well are: Take regular probiotics; yogurts, Yakult, or Inner Health Plus capsules. It helps keep the internal yeast manifestations in check. (A buildup of yeast in the body gets excreted through the skin). To treat the affected areas topically, I've found Whitfield's Ointment (Benzoic Acid) to be by far and away the quickest method of killing the yeast infection. It burns a little and is greasy, but it works. Apply it for two days in a row, just two hours per day. Then wash it off (which isn't that easy). It's worth the effort. For darker, reddish spots, they will just fade away. For the white spots, you will need exposure to the sun to tan them a little. I get both; the reddish/brown spots and the white spots. You never really get rid of this; you just have to treat it when it appears. The probiotics do help keep it to a minimum.

Comment from: noman, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: June 13

My face is very allergic and sensitive with tinea versicolor attack on my face, it is early stages.

Comment from: Arjan, Male (Patient) Published: June 12

I had this rash for years. Really didn't bother me, though I tried Selsun a couple of times to no avail. But some time ago I switched to a vegan diet for some other health reasons and guess what... slowly but surely tinea versicolor is clearing up. It is now summertime in my part of the world and usually the spots get red and itchy but no more. I cut out milk, eggs, dairy, meat, butter, margarine, and cacao and replaced it with loads of fruit and vegetables.

Comment from: Sam&Dakota, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: July 02

I have had tinea versicolor for 8 years now and I still haven't found anything that truly works. It covers my stomach, back, shoulders, arms, and neck. I get both the dark and light spots. Clotrimazole and medicated selenium dandruff shampoo worked for a little while but my spots always come back.

Comment from: bb, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 16

I have had tinea versicolor for about twenty years, since I was a teenager. I was diagnosed when I was about 18 years. It's worst underneath my breasts, and the sides of my breasts. It covers my whole torso, a little in my inner elbows, and a tiny blotch on my inner thigh that doesn't hurt. And up my neck a little too (wrinkley looking). It's dry, itchy, gets cracked, and painful on my torso. I've tried selsun blue, other medicated lotions, anti-fungal cream, tea tree cream, anti-fungal tablets and nothing has worked. I put moisturiser on it daily to relieve the pain from the extreme dryness - particularly in winter when the heater and the air is dry. Plus fresh bra daily, so no old sweat. I care more about the pain than the disfigurement.

Comment from: ahitch12, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: June 02

I have had tinea versicolor for about three years now. I have been to dermatologists three times, and they gave me a pill that I took once a week for six weeks. That worked, but sadly, it reappeared around three months later. I have tried antifungal creams, shampoos, pills, everything! I don't know what else to do. This disease is so embarrassing and will always ruin my summers! Tinea versicolor covers my back, neck, shoulders, chest, and stomach.

View the Adult Skin Problems Slideshow Pictures
Comment from: MZDYMOND34, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 18

I was diagnosed with tinea versicolor about two months ago. I noticed it first on my stomach, and it started spreading to the rest of my body (shoulders, feet, back, stomach, under my breasts, inner thighs, arms, and a little in the face). My doctor told me to use Selsun Blue. It appears to be fading but very, very slowly. I wish there was a way to rush it because I don't like looking at it. I still don't understand how I got it. No one in my family has a history of it. I thought it was because I take really hot showers. It's kind of embarrassing when out in public.

Comment from: this stinks, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 17

I am absolutely miserable, I have had this since I was 13 years old, ketoconazole doesn't even work anymore. the last time I had it, it was from head to toe, literally, I took the ketoconazole, and it went away for a month and came back with a vengeance, I'm so itchy I take claritin every day, I have no insurance I do not know what to do anymore, I can't even where decent clothing because it's all over my body, I look like a leopard.

Comment from: misinformed for year, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 16

I had itchy white patches on arms and chest for 4 years. I was miserable, my husband has it and he has scabs and bleeds all of the time it is disgusting. After 4 years i finally found a doctor with somewhat of a brain and gave me lamasil tablets and I took them for 3 months. My white patches and itchy bleeding skin is gone. My husband still has it but he does not care that he has disgusting scabs on his arms and chest. I will never know exactly what it is or where it came from. If I get it again I know to take lamasil for 3 months. Doctors need to research more and stop telling patients to use selsun blue or topical creams.

View the Adult Skin Problems Slideshow Pictures