- Take the Pancreatitis Quiz
- Boost Digestive Health
- Digestive Distress Slideshow: Problem Foods to Avoid
- What is tincture of opium liquid, and how does it work (mechanism of action)?
- What are the side effects of tincture of opium liquid?
- What is the dosage for tincture of opium liquid?
- Which drugs or supplements interact with tincture of opium liquid?
- Is tincture of opium liquid safe to take if I'm pregnant or breastfeeding?
- What else should I know about tincture of opium liquid?
What is tincture of opium liquid, and how does it work (mechanism of action)?
Opium tincture is an oral liquid medication used to control diarrhea. Opium tincture contains morphine which is an opioid pain reliever. Opioids can reduce gastrointestinal motility, propulsion, secretions, and increase gastrointestinal muscle tone. These effects help in controlling diarrhea. Opium tincture is a controlled substance.
What brand names are available for tincture of opium liquid?
Is tincture of opium liquid available as a generic drug?
Do I need a prescription for tincture of opium liquid?
What is the dosage for tincture of opium liquid?
- Adults: Take 0.6 ml by mouth 4 times a day not to exceed 6 ml per day.
- Children: Safe and effective use of opium tincture is not established in children.
Which drugs or supplements interact with tincture of opium liquid?
Opium tincture should not be used with medications like naltrexone and buprenorphine because they increase sedation and lower beneficial effect of opium tincture.
Opium tincture contains morphine. Morphine should be avoided in patients treated with monoamine oxidase inhibitors (MAOI) due to enhance toxicity of morphine including confusion, high blood pressure, tremor, hyperactivity, coma, and death. Drugs in this class include isocarboxazid (Marplan), phenelzine (Nardil), tranylcypromine (Parnate), selegiline (Eldepryl), and procarbazine (Matulane), and linezolid (Zyvox). Morphine should not be administered within 14 days of stopping an MAOI.
Is tincture of opium liquid safe to take if I'm pregnant or breastfeeding?
There are no adequate studies done on opium tincture to determine safe and effective use in pregnant women.
What else should I know about tincture of opium liquid?
What preparations of tincture of opium liquid are available?
Opium tincture is odorless oral liquid containing 10 mg of anhydrous morphine per one ml.
How should I keep tincture of opium liquid stored?
Store tincture of opium at room temperature between 68 F to 77 F (20 C to 25 C).
Latest Digestion News
- Dialysis Patients: Weak Response to COVID Vaccine
- Are You Eating Foods That Harm Your 'Microbiome'?
- Cycling During Dialysis? It Might Help Patients
- Sluggish Coworker? Maybe They 'Pigged Out' Before
- Can a Yeast Found in Cheese Ease Crohn's Disease?
- Want More News? Sign Up for MedicineNet Newsletters!
Daily Health News
Opium tincture is a controlled substance prescribed to treat diarrhea. Side effects, drug interactions, dosage, and pregnancy safety information should be reviewed prior to taking this medication.
Related Disease Conditions
Diarrhea is a change is the frequency and looseness of bowel movements. Symptoms associated with diarrhea are cramping, abdominal pain, and the sensation of rectal urgency. Causes of diarrhea include viral, bacterial, or parasite infection, gastroenteritis, food poisoning, and drugs. Absorbents and anti-motility medications are used to treat diarrhea.
Treatment & Diagnosis
Prevention & Wellness
Health Solutions From Our Sponsors
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Tincture of Opium Prescribing Information.