Ticks are known transmitters of disease to humans and animals. Tick-borne diseases include Lyme disease, Rocky Mountain spotted fever, Q fever, tularemia, babesiosis, and Southern tick-associated rash illness. Infected ticks spread disease once they've bitten a host, allowing the pathogens in their saliva and mouth get into the host's skin and blood. Tick bites are typically painless, but the site of the bite may later itch, burn, turn red, and feel painful. Individuals allergic to tick bites may develop a rash, swelling, shortness of breath, numbness, or paralysis. Tick bite treatment involves cleaning and applying antibiotic cream. Read more: Ticks Article
Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
Summer Skin Risks: Sunburn, Bug Bites & Poison Ivy
When it comes to summer, there plenty of hazards under the sun! Take the Summer Skin Hazards Quiz and clue in on the dangers to...
Lyme Disease Quiz: Symptoms & Signs
What you do not know about Lyme disease may surprise you. Learn the causes, symptoms, treatments, and complications of this...
Picture of Tick Bite Granuloma
Sometimes at the site of a tick bite, a persistent firm papulonodular lesion may develop. See a picture of Tick Bite Granuloma...
Picture of Lyme Disease (Erythema-Migrans)
Lyme disease is caused by the spirochete Borrelia burgdorferi and is transmitted by the pinhead-sized Ixodes ticks. See a picture...
Picture of Lyme Disease
Lyme disease is transmitted through a bite from a specific type of tick. See a picture of Lyme Disease and learn more about the...
Bad Bugs: Identify Bug Bites From Mosquitos, Spiders and More
What do bed bug bites look like? See spider bite pictures and learn how to identify bug bites from mosquitos, bees, bed bugs,...
Summer Skin-Hazard Pictures: Stings, Bites, Burns, and More
Don't let spider bites, sunburn, poison ivy, chigger bites, and jellyfish stings sabotage your healthy skin. Learn how you can...
Lyme Disease Symptoms, Rash, Treatments
Lyme disease is caused by the bacterium Borrelia burgdorferi transmitted to humans through infected deer ticks. Lyme disease...
Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever: See Photos of the Rash
Rocky Mountain spotted fever is a disease carried by ticks that can be fatal if not treated. See pictures of the symptoms of...
Related Disease Conditions
Although a fever technically is any body temperature above the normal of 98.6 F (37 C), in practice, a person is usually not...
Lyme disease is a bacterial illness, which is spread by ticks when they bite the skin. Initially the disease affects the skin...
Palpitations (Causes and Symptoms)
Palpitations are uncomfortable sensations of the heart beating hard, rapidly, or irregularly. Some types of palpitations are...
Travelers should prepare for their trip by visiting their physician to get the proper vaccinations and obtain the necessary...
The word "rash" means an outbreak of red bumps on the body. The way people use this term, "a rash" can refer to many different...
West Nile Virus
West Nile virus (West Nile encephalitis) is a brain infection caused by a virus. People become infected with the virus after...
Itch (Itching or Pruritus)
Itching can be a common problem. Itches can be localized or generalized. There are many causes of itching to include: infection...
Headaches can be divided into two categories: primary headaches and secondary headaches. Migraine headaches, tension headaches,...
Nausea and Vomiting (Causes, Natural Remedies, Diet, Medication)
Nausea is an uneasiness of the stomach that often precedes vomiting. Nausea and vomiting are not diseases, but they are symptoms...
Bedbugs (from the insect family Cimicidae) are small, reddish-brown tick-like insects that feed by sucking the blood of mammals....
Spider Bites (Common, Black Widow, and Brown Recluse)
Most spiders in the United States are harmless; however, black widow and brown recluse spider bites may need medical treatment....
Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever (RMSF)
Rocky Mountain spotted fever is a tick-borne disease that causes symptoms and signs such as fever, rash, headache, and muscle...
Bug Bites and Stings
Bug bites and stings have been known to transmit insect-borne illnesses such as West Nile virus, Rocky Mountain spotted fever,...
Viral Hemorrhagic Fever
Viral hemorrhagic fever(s), or VHFs are a group of illnesses caused by distinct families of viruses. Many of these viruses are...
Chiggers (Bites) Symptoms, Pictures, Home Remedies, Medicine, and Cure
Chiggers are a mite belonging to the Trombiculidae family. Chiggers are most commonly found in grassy fields, gardens, parks,...
Tularemia (rabbit fever) is an infection caused by the Francisella tularensis bacteria. People can become infected with tularemia...
Is Lyme Disease Contagious?
Lyme disease may be transmitted to humans via the bite of an infected tick. The bacterium Borrelia burgdorferi causes the disease...
Powassan Virus Disease
Powassan (POW) virus disease is a rare tick-borne disease that causes symptoms such as confusion, memory problems, fever,...
Treatment & Diagnosis
Medications & Supplements
Prevention & Wellness
- New Disease-Bearing Tick Set to Spread Throughout United States
- Asian Longhorned Tick Is Invading United States
- Tick-Borne Diseases Set U.S. Record in 2017
- Record Number of Tick-Borne Disease Cases in U.S. Last Year: CDC
- Health Tip: Keep Ticks Away
- Health Tip: Identifying Signs of Tickborne Illness
- Make Your Next Camping or Hiking Trip Trouble-free
- New Tick Species Spreading in U.S.
- New Tick Species Spreading in U.S.
- Big Slice of Red Meat Allergies Tied to Tick Bites
- As Ticks Reach Record Numbers, Take Precautions
- Lyme-Bearing Ticks More Widespread in U.S. Than Thought
- Tick-Caused Meat Allergy on Rise in U.S.
- Health Tip: Avoiding Lyme Disease
- To Repel Ticks This Summer, Try Insecticide-Treated Clothes
- Health Tip: How to Get Rid of an Embedded Tick
- U.S. Illnesses Tied to Ticks, Mosquitoes Are Soaring
- Health Tip: Recognize Signs of Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever
- First Screening Tests Approved for Tickborne Parasite
- Lone Star Ticks Won't Give You Lyme, But Can Still Make You Sick
- Dinosaurs Dealt With Pesky Ticks, Too
- Don't Let the Tick Stick
- Health Tip: Recognizing Lyme Disease
- Researchers Developing Early Detection Test for Lyme Disease
- Many Americans Unaware of This Year's Heavy Tick Season: Poll
- How to Keep Your Kids Out of the ER This Summer
- Health Tip: Preventing Tick Bites
- Could You Spot Bed Bugs in a Hotel Room?
- Tick-Borne Illness Suspected in 2-Year-Old's Death
- Coming This Summer: More Ticks and a Deadly New Tick-Borne Disease
- More Cases of Tick-Borne Powassan Disease Expected in U.S. This Year
- Don't Let Ticks Get Under Your Skin
- Ticks Carrying Lyme Disease Confirmed in Eastern National Parks
- Study: El Nino Could Boost Lyme Disease in Western U.S.
- Richer Houses Home to Wider Range of Bugs
- How to Keep Bug Bites at Bay
- Drug Duo Cures a Tick-Borne Disease -- in Mice
- 7 Ways to Give Ticks the Slip
- New Lyme Disease Bacteria Discovered in Upper Midwest: CDC
- Studying Tick Biology With Lyme Prevention in Mind
- Lyme-Causing Ticks Expand Their Range in U.S.
- Migrating Birds May Bring Exotic Ticks to U.S.
- Watch Out for Disease-Carrying Insects This Summer
- Tick Infection Epidemic Among American Indian Tribes in Arizona: CDC
- As Mosquito-Borne Illnesses Threaten U.S., Less Money Spent Fighting Them
- Another Tick-Borne Illness Documented in Northeast
- Health Tip: Caring for Bug Bites
- In Northeast, Weather Changes May Mean More Ticks, Earlier
- CDC Says New Tick-Borne Virus May Have Killed Kansas Man
- Health Woes to Worsen Due to Climate Change, Study Warns
- Health Tip: Safely Remove a Tick
- EPA Unveils New Bug Repellant Labeling
- Culling Deer Herd Curbs Lyme Disease, Study Says
- Guard Your Kids Against Bug Bites This Summer
- Tick Exposure Can Occur in a Minute in Infested Areas
- Preventing Tick Bites
- Prevent Tick Bites While Enjoying the Outdoors
- Midwest Ticks Show Signs of 'Heartland Virus'
- Health Tip: Check for Ticks
- Tick-Borne Illness Babesiosis a Hazard for Seniors
- New Tick-Borne Illness May Be Misdiagnosed
- Tick Safety Tips for Kids at Summer Camp
- Tick-Borne Meat Allergy May Have Affected Virginia Kids
- Health Tip: Defend Against Insect Bites While Traveling Abroad
- Deer Ticks Carry Yet Another Bacterial Threat
- Boughs of Christmas Trees Hold Many Insects, Bug Expert Says
- Lyme Rash Reappearance Probably Signals New Infection, Study Says
- Tick-Borne Illnesses in U.S. Move Beyond Lyme Disease
- Lone Star Tick Bite Might Trigger Red Meat Allergy: Study
- Tick in Man's Ear Gives Him Tinnitus
- New Tick-Borne Disease: 'Heartland Virus'
- Certain Tick Bites Might Spur Red Meat Allergy
- Health Tip: Check Yourself for Ticks
- CDC Warns of Another Emerging Tick-Borne Threat
- Tick Season Starts Early: How to Protect Yourself and Your Pet
- Warm Weather Triggers Early Allergy Season
- Northeast U.S. Should Brace for Spike in Lyme Disease: Expert
- Map Shows Where in U.S. to Beware of Lyme Disease
- Health Tip: Taking Care of a Tick Bite
- Man Dies of Brain Inflammation Caused by Deer Tick Virus
- China Documents First Case of Tick-Borne Disease Spread
- Health Tip: Removing a Tick
Subscribe to MedicineNet's General Health Newsletter