There are several types of thyroid disorders including hypothyroidism, hyperthyroidism, goiters, thyroid nodules, and thyroid cancer. Symptoms vary by condition. Diagnosis is made with blood tests, scans, ultrasound, or biopsy. Treatments depend on the disorder and can include medication or surgery. Read more: Thyroid Disorders Article
Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
Thyroid Quiz: Test Your Medical IQ
Your unexplained change in weight could indicate a thyroid condition. Take the Thyroid Quiz to learn about common symptoms and...
Picture of Graves Disease
Generalized diffuse overactivity ("toxicity") of the entire thyroid gland which becomes enlarged into a goiter. See a picture of...
Picture of Thyroid
The thyroid is a butterfly-shaped gland located in the front of the neck just below the Adams apple. See a picture of the Thyroid...
Hyperthyroidism Symptoms and Treatment
What is hyperthyroidism? Hyperthyroidism occurs when an overactive thyroid gland produces an excessive amount of thyroid...
Thyroid Problems Explained
Learn about thyroid problems such as hyperthyroidism, hypothyroidism, thyroid cancer, and more. Discover symptoms and treatments...
What Causes You to Sweat? Hidrosis and Hyperhidrosis
What makes you sweat (hidrosis)? Excessive sweating (hyperhidrosis) has many potential causes, including spicy food, smoking,...
Related Disease Conditions
Hyperthyroidism (Symptoms, Causes, Treatment Medication, Diet)
Hyperthyroidism is an excess of thyroid hormone due to an overactive thyroid gland. Symptoms can include increased heart rate,...
Miscarriage is the medical term for the spontaneous loss of pregnancy from conception to 20 weeks gestation. Risk factors for a...
Celiac disease is a condition in which a person has inflammation of the small intestinal mucosa when exposed to gluten in the...
There are four major types of thyroid cancer: papillary, follicular, medullary, and anaplastic thyroid cancer. Tumors on the...
Hypothyroidism (Symptoms, Diet, Natural and Medical Treatments, Tests)
Hypothyroidism is any state in which thyroid hormone production is below normal. Normally, the rate of thyroid hormone...
Thyroiditis is the inflammation of the thyroid gland. The inflamed thyroid gland can release an excess of thyroid hormones into...
Hyperparathyroidism is a disorder of the parathyroid glands. There are two types of hyperparathyroidism, primary and secondary....
In hypoparathyroidism, the parathyroid gland does not produce enough parathyroid hormone. Causes of hypoparathyroidism include...
Pernicious anemia is a blood disorder in which the body does not make enough red blood cells due to a lack of vitamin B12 in the...
Restless Leg Syndrome (Symptoms, Causes, Treatment Medications, Home Remedies)
Restless leg syndrome (RLS) is a common cause for painful legs that typically eases with motion, and becomes worse and more...
Gastroparesis is a medical condition in which the muscle of the stomach is paralyzed by a disease of either the stomach muscle...
Indigestion (Dyspepsia, Upset Stomach Pain) Symptoms, Relief Remedies, Medicine
Indigestion (dyspepsia) can be caused by diseases or conditions that involve the gastrointestinal (GI) tract, and also by some...
There are many causes of scalp hair loss. This featured article covers the common ones such as patchy hair loss (alopecia areata,...
Hypothyroidism During Pregnancy
Hypothyroidism during pregnancy can be treated with synthetic thyroid hormones to maintain the proper thyroid hormone balance....
Myxedema coma is the loss of brain function due to severe longstanding low levels of thyroid hormone in the blood. Myxedema coma...
Dilated Cardiomyopathy is a condition where the heart's ability to pump blood is decreased because the heart's main pumping...
Thyroid nodules are the most common endocrine problem in the United States. The term "thyroid nodule" refers to any abnormal...
Hashimoto's Thyroiditis (Symptoms, Diet, Treatments, Pregnancy)
Hashimoto's thyroiditis or chronic lymphocytic thyroiditis, is an autoimmune disorder causing inflammation of the thyroid gland....
Hyperglycemia (High Blood Sugar) Symptoms, Levels, Diet and Causes
Hyperglycemia or high blood sugar is a serious health problem for diabetics. There are two types of hyperglycemia, 1) fasting,...
Hyponatremia (Low Blood Sodium) Symptoms, Signs, Causes, Diet, Treatment
Hyponatremia is a condition in which the levels of sodium in the blood is too low. Some of the symptoms of hyponatremia include...
Gynecomastia (Enlarged Male Breasts Symptoms, Causes, and Treatments)
Gynecomastia, an enlargement of the gland tissue in the male breast is the caused by an imbalance of hormones. Certain medical...
Dry skin (xeroderma) may be caused by external factors, like cold temperatures, low humidity, harsh soaps, and certain...
Graves' Disease (Symptoms, Causes, Diet, Treatment Options)
Graves' disease is an autoimmune disease that affects the thyroid. Some of the symptoms of Graves' disease include hand tremors,...
Fatigue (Symptoms, Causes, Treatment)
Fatigue can be described in various ways. Sometimes fatigue is described as feeling a lack of energy and motivation (both mental...
Double vision (diplopia) is a symptom that my indicate Graves' disease, myasthenia gravis, stroke, multiple sclerosis,...
Fast-food consumption and lack of exercise are just a couple of causes of childhood obesity. Health effects of childhood obesity...
Stiff-Person syndrome is a neurological disorder associated with features of an autoimmune disease. Signs and symptoms of...
Local ResourcesFind a local Endocrinologist in your town
Treatment & Diagnosis
Medications & Supplements
- liothyronine sodium, Cytomel, Triostat
- propranolol, Inderal, Inderal LA, Innopran XL
- levothyroxine sodium, Synthroid, Levoxyl, Levothroid, Unithroid, Tirosint, Levo-T
- metoprolol (Lopressor, Toprol XL)
- prednisolone (Flo-Pred, Pediapred, Orapred, Orapred ODT)
- atenolol, Tenormin
- Beta Blockers (Drug Class, List of Brand and Generic Names)
- methimazole, Tapazole
- sodium iodide I 131, Iodotope, Sodium Iodide I 131 Therapeutic
- Thyroid Replacement Hormones
Prevention & Wellness
- Thyroid Cancer Survivors at Risk for Heart Disease
- Drug Duo Approved for Aggressive Thyroid Cancer
- TV Host Wendy Williams Has Grave's Disease
- Mild Low Thyroid Levels May Affect a Woman's Fertility
- High Thyroid Hormone Levels Tied to Stiffer Arteries
- U.S. Thyroid Cancer Cases Continue to Rise
- Can You Blame Your Headaches on Your Thyroid?
- Thyroid Levels in High-Normal Range May Be Linked to Cardiac Arrest
- Restrictive Diets May Cause Thyroid Troubles in Young Kids
- Surgeons' Experience Matters With Thyroid Removal
- Thyroid Trouble May Harm Women's Fertility, Study Finds
- Standard Treatment for Underactive Thyroid Gland Still Best: Experts
- Thyroid Problem Can Lead to Sick Leaves From Work, Study Finds
- Thyroid Tumors May Be More Dangerous for Cancer Survivors: Study
- Childhood Abuse Linked to Later Thyroid Problems for Women
- Chemicals in Carpets, Cosmetics Tied to Thyroid Problems
- Thyroid Disorders Tied to Complications in Pregnancy
- Mild Hyperthyroidism Tied to Higher Death Risk
- Overactive Thyroid May Raise Risk for Common Irregular Heartbeat
- Health Tip: Using an Antihistamine
- BPA Exposure Impacts Pregnant Women's Thyroids, Study Suggests
- Thyroid Treatment Guidelines for Pregnant Women Revised
- IUD Use Tied to Modest Weight Loss
- Eye Color Linked to Skin Diseases
- Lower-Dose Radioiodine Effective Against Thyroid Cancer
- Thyroid Condition Linked to Heart Problems: Study
- Screening Moms-to-Be for Thyroid Trouble May Not Help Offspring
- Some Causes of Stillbirth May Be Avoidable: Studies
- Study: 'Thyroid Support' Supplements May Be Risky
- 6 Steps to Improved Nail -- and Overall -- Health
- Flu Is Widespread in 11 States
- Overactive Thyroid May Raise Early Stroke Risk
Subscribe to MedicineNet's General Health Newsletter