There are several types of thyroid disorders including hypothyroidism, hyperthyroidism, goiters, thyroid nodules, and thyroid cancer. Symptoms vary by condition. Diagnosis is made with blood tests, scans, ultrasound, or biopsy. Treatments depend on the disorder and can include medication or surgery. Read more: Thyroid Disorders Article
Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
Thyroid Problems Explained
Learn about thyroid problems such as hyperthyroidism, hypothyroidism, thyroid cancer, and more. Discover symptoms and treatments...
Hyperthyroidism Symptoms and Treatment
What is hyperthyroidism? Hyperthyroidism occurs when an overactive thyroid gland produces an excessive amount of thyroid...
Thyroid Quiz: Test Your Medical IQ
Your unexplained change in weight could indicate a thyroid condition. Take the Thyroid Quiz to learn about common symptoms and...
Picture of Graves Disease
Generalized diffuse overactivity ("toxicity") of the entire thyroid gland which becomes enlarged into a goiter. See a picture of...
Picture of Thyroid
The thyroid is a butterfly-shaped gland located in the front of the neck just below the Adams apple. See a picture of the Thyroid...
What Causes You to Sweat? Hidrosis and Hyperhidrosis
What makes you sweat (hidrosis)? Excessive sweating (hyperhidrosis) has many potential causes, including spicy food, smoking,...
Related Disease Conditions
Hypothyroidism is any state in which thyroid hormone production is below normal. Normally, the rate of thyroid hormone...
Fatigue can be described in various ways. Sometimes fatigue is described as feeling a lack of energy and motivation (both mental...
There are many causes of scalp hair loss. This featured article covers the common ones such as patchy hair loss (alopecia areata,...
Hashimoto's thyroiditis is the most common cause of hypothyroidism in the US. This conditions is caused by inflammation of the...
Hyperthyroidism is an excess of thyroid hormone resulting from an overactive thyroid gland. Symptoms can include increased...
Thyroid nodules are the most common endocrine problem in the United States. The term "thyroid nodule" refers to any abnormal...
Gynecomastia (Enlarged Male Breasts Symptoms, Causes, and Treatments)
Gynecomastia, an enlargement of the gland tissue in the male breast is the caused by an imbalance of hormones. Certain medical...
Dry skin (xeroderma) may be caused by external factors, like cold temperatures, low humidity, harsh soaps, and certain...
Celiac disease is a condition in which a person has inflammation of the small intestinal mucosa when exposed to gluten in the...
There are four major types of thyroid cancer: papillary, follicular, medullary, and anaplastic thyroid cancer. Tumors on the...
Graves' disease is an autoimmune disease that affects the thyroid. Some of the symptoms of Graves' disease include hand tremors,...
Myxedema coma is the loss of brain function due to severe longstanding low levels of thyroid hormone in the blood. Myxedema coma...
Hypothyroidism During Pregnancy
Hypothyroidism during pregnancy can be treated with synthetic thyroid hormones to maintain the proper thyroid hormone balance....
Double vision (diplopia) is a symptom that my indicate Graves' disease, myasthenia gravis, stroke, multiple sclerosis,...
Hyperparathyroidism is a disorder of the parathyroid glands. There are two types of hyperparathyroidism, primary and secondary....
Dilated Cardiomyopathy is a condition where the heart's ability to pump blood is decreased because the heart's main pumping...
Miscarriage is the medical term for the spontaneous loss of pregnancy from conception to 20 weeks gestation. Risk factors for a...
Thyroiditis is the inflammation of the thyroid gland. The inflamed thyroid gland can release an excess of thyroid hormones into...
Stiff-Person syndrome is a neurological disorder associated with features of an autoimmune disease. Signs and symptoms of...
Fast-food consumption and lack of exercise are just a couple of causes of childhood obesity. Health effects of childhood obesity...
In hypoparathyroidism, the parathyroid gland does not produce enough parathyroid hormone. Causes of hypoparathyroidism include...
Thyroid Disorders - Experience
Please describe the type of thyroid disorder you have, and your experience with the disorder.Post View 29 Comments
Thyroid Disorders - Treatment
What type of thyroid disorder do you have, and what treatments have you received?Post View 4 Comments
Thyroid Disorders - Surgery
What type of thyroid disorder did/do you have, and please describe your experience with surgery for the disorder.Post
Thyroid Disorders - Diagnosis
How was your thyroid disorders diagnosed?Post View 4 Comments
Thyroid Disorders - Hypothyroidism
Please describe your experience with hypothyroidism.Post View 3 Comments
Thyroid Disorders - Hyperthyroidism
Please describe your experience with hyperthyroidism.Post View 6 Comments
Thyroid Disorders - Goiter
Please describe your experience with thyroid goiter.Post View 2 Comments
Thyroid Disorders - Nodules
Please describe your experience with thyroid nodules.Post View 2 Comments
Thyroid Disorders - Symptoms and Signs
What type of thyroid disorder do you have, and what were your symptoms and signs?Post View 13 Comments
Local ResourcesFind a local Endocrinologist in your town
Treatment & Diagnosis
Medications & Supplements
- Beta Blockers (Drug Class, List of Brand and Generic Names)
- metoprolol (Lopressor, Toprol XL)
- levothyroxine sodium, Synthroid, Levoxyl, Levothroid, Unithroid, Tirosint, Levo-T
- Thyroid Replacement Hormones
- atenolol, Tenormin
- propranolol, Inderal, Inderal LA, Innopran XL
- liothyronine sodium, Cytomel, Triostat
- methimazole, Tapazole
- prednisolone (Flo-Pred, Pediapred, Orapred, Orapred ODT)
- sodium iodide I 131, Iodotope, Sodium Iodide I 131 Therapeutic
Prevention & Wellness
- High Thyroid Hormone Levels Tied to Stiffer Arteries
- U.S. Thyroid Cancer Cases Continue to Rise
- Can You Blame Your Headaches on Your Thyroid?
- Thyroid Levels in High-Normal Range May Be Linked to Cardiac Arrest
- Restrictive Diets May Cause Thyroid Troubles in Young Kids
- Surgeons' Experience Matters With Thyroid Removal
- Thyroid Trouble May Harm Women's Fertility, Study Finds
- Standard Treatment for Underactive Thyroid Gland Still Best: Experts
- Thyroid Problem Can Lead to Sick Leaves From Work, Study Finds
- Thyroid Tumors May Be More Dangerous for Cancer Survivors: Study
- Childhood Abuse Linked to Later Thyroid Problems for Women
- Chemicals in Carpets, Cosmetics Tied to Thyroid Problems
- Thyroid Disorders Tied to Complications in Pregnancy
- Mild Hyperthyroidism Tied to Higher Death Risk
- Overactive Thyroid May Raise Risk for Common Irregular Heartbeat
- Health Tip: Using an Antihistamine
- BPA Exposure Impacts Pregnant Women's Thyroids, Study Suggests
- Thyroid Treatment Guidelines for Pregnant Women Revised
- IUD Use Tied to Modest Weight Loss
- Eye Color Linked to Skin Diseases
- Lower-Dose Radioiodine Effective Against Thyroid Cancer
- Thyroid Condition Linked to Heart Problems: Study
- Screening Moms-to-Be for Thyroid Trouble May Not Help Offspring
- Some Causes of Stillbirth May Be Avoidable: Studies
- Study: 'Thyroid Support' Supplements May Be Risky
- 6 Steps to Improved Nail -- and Overall -- Health
- Flu Is Widespread in 11 States
- Overactive Thyroid May Raise Early Stroke Risk
Subscribe to MedicineNet's General Health Newsletter