Patient Comments: Thyroid Cancer - Treatments

What was the treatment for your thyroid cancer? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: bballmom, 7-12 Female (Caregiver) Published: March 07

I am a 30 year old mother to two beautiful daughters. One is 10 and the other 11. My 10 year old was diagnosed in October of 2016 with papillary thyroid cancer. Her entire thyroid along with 24 lymph nodes where removed during the first surgery. We were then scheduled for radiation treatment 6 weeks after. The uptake scan before radiation treatment showed new tumors. We were then scheduled for a second surgery. While the scan showed 3 tumors, 4 were removed. Radiation is now scheduled and we hope that this cancer does not create any more tumors before then, however if it does we are wanting to know other treatment options.

Comment from: Ps, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 06

I'm 29. A few months ago I was gaining some weight and always feeling lazy and tired so I went to my doc, she asked me for T3, T4 and TSH blood test. The results weren't good so she asked for an ultrasound and that's where they saw a 1 cm nodule. I had to do a biopsy and results came out as suspicious of having papillary thyroid carcinoma, so the doctor advised me to remove all the gland so I had surgery. After they did biopsy on the gland results were positive, now I have to take the radioactive iodine to clean the whole area.

Comment from: judy, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 22

I am 42 and I was diagnosed last July with thyroid cancer. Going to the veterans hospital removed a whole thyroid in October. I went through radiation started on the hormone therapy in December. They found more cancer in the lymph nodes and I had a second surgery the first of March. They did the Iodine test found more cancer cells. Waiting on a pet scan to see what's next. My doctor told me at the beginning that it would be a long process still waiting. It could be so long because I have to go through the VA hospital.

Comment from: maramorai, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 09

A few months ago I had an MRI on my neck for my spine. A lump was seen on my thyroid. After an ultrasound and blood work I was sent to an ENT doctor. He did a fine needle biopsy on my right Thyroid. He told me it would be three to four days before I got the results. It was one day and he said it is Follicular Thyroid cancer. I asked for a gift receipt because it was going back and not the Mother's day gift I wanted. In another week I have to schedule my surgery. He is only planning on removing the right side, but will check the left at the same time. I do not know much more of anything else. I am a mom who is 35 and my husband is a long haul trucker. I am scared and do not know anyone else with this condition.

Comment from: Patty, 65-74 Female Published: May 15

My mom had pain in her neck, I think. She had an ultrasound and is now waiting to have an appointment with an endocrinologist. Two nodules were seen. I am especially worried because I just read something about breast cancer spreading to the thyroid. I think it's good advice to remove any and all negative people in your life while trying to heal. Years ago, I had a lump under my arm. It was tested, biopsied, everything – it was nothing. The doctor also found a lump in my colon, and I had all these tests and things set up. It was very scary. When I went in for surgery, it was gone. Where did it go? Who knows?

Comment from: adz, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 06

I had been using Thyroxine for the past 10 years until it was recently discovered I have thyroid cancer. My doctor said I can't take the radioactive iodine unless my nodules are removed first. It's bigger than the required size. I'm afraid to undergo another operation on my neck, as it's was my third already. I don't know what to do.

Comment from: my2kids4ever, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 17

I have a thyroid problem and I'm below active. Besides that I have had problems in my chest where the thyroid is. When I lay down I start to breathe funny like wheezing. I have already had this checked out last year and they said it was bronchial Asthma, but I don't really think so it only happens when I lay down. After reading about the symptoms for thyroid cancer should I get it checked out again. I do have cancer (breast) in my family.

Comment from: fran, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 18

I had b- cell follicular thyroid cancer 2 years ago. It was removed and the medications were increased. This is a very rare form of cancer. I think it was caused by Brach therapy radiation for breast cancer 11 years ago. I am now having problems regulating the amount of medications to take. I recently had a pet scan to see if the lymphoma is anywhere else in the body, I'm waiting on the results. I was in the ER last night for elevated blood pressure and palpitations; I think my thyroid is the cause.

Comment from: Mommajo223, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 24

I have a new diagnosis of follicular thyroid cancer and will be seeing a surgeon this week. No symptoms at all. We were actually ruling my thyroid out for other reasons. It is over a centimeter and there is also a small nodule on the right that is solid, so I'm guessing the whole thyroid will go. Just kinda bummed out about it. I have been dealing with other health issues this year and thought I was about to get my green light and not be poked on anymore. Know I will rise out of this but am concerned.

Thyroid Conditions & Treatments
Comment from: JessieP, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 24

Thirty years ago when I was 23 years old, the doctors removed only the left lobe of my thyroid. I refused to have the other side radiated at the time. I have had no recurrence of cancer.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 01

After I was first diagnosed with thyroid cancer, I had surgery to remove the half of the thyroid with the tumor. When I had a recurrence 7 months later, I had a radical neck dissection, which removed the rest of my thyroid as well as many lymph nodes in my mediastinem. This was followed by I-131. I had another recurrence 18 years later which was treated with I-131, and which eliminated some, but not all, of the tumors. Surgery right now would be more dangerous than letting the cancer stay where it is, so I watch and wait.

Comment from: lulu, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 16

I had a lump show up in my neck about 10 years ago. I went to see my Doctor who immediately sent for test. I had scans and a biopsy done right away. It was concluded that the lump would have to be removed. They told me if it was not cancer they would just remove the lump and that side of the thyroid. The lump was removed and that side. The lump was sent for testing and it came back that it was cancer. So I went in for another surgery to remove the rest of my thyroid and some lymph nodes just to be sure. They found a little more activity so they had me go in for another surgery just to remove more lymph nodes. I had radioactive iodine treatment and I have been feeling fine since. It was hard having 3 surgeries right after each other. My meds are adjusted from time to time and I still go for my yearly checkup with my cancer doctor.

Comment from: Ms Puppet, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 26

My symptoms were a lump in my neck and sleepless nights that led to disorientation during the day from lack of sleep. Found a lump in my neck and the doctor kept an eye on it for 2 years. Did an aspiration and told me that he just didn't like what he saw. Had the left side of the thyroid out and was sent to the lab which concluded that it was thyroid cancer. Sent the sample to the nearest University and they said it wasn't. I had no idea what to do next so my surgeon sent it to the top thyroid expert and she said that if they were to poll 10 experts on my case we would have 5 doctors say it was cancer and 5 doctors say it was not. My surgeon gave me the choice of what to do next. Have the other half out or leave it in and keep an eye on it, but I would probably have to have it removed later in life. I chose to have the other half removed. It was removed 4 weeks after the first half. I did radiation on the portion in the middle to dissolve it. Since my surgery I have had 2 I131 body scans and 2 sonograms and everything seems to be ok. My doctor sees me once a year to check my levels. I am currently on synthroid 112. If you are faced with the decision of whether or not to have the surgery. Have the surgery. Mine was considered outpatient, but I did spend one night in the hospital. Oxycodone for pain, which was minimal, and a few annoying doctor visits and you will be glad you did.

Thyroid Conditions & Treatments