There are four major types of thyroid cancer: papillary, follicular, medullary, and anaplastic thyroid cancer. Tumors on the thyroid are referred to as thyroid nodules. Symptoms of thyroid cancer include swollen lymph nodes, pain in the throat, difficulty swallowing, hoarseness, and a lump near the Adam's apple. Treatment usually involves chemotherapy, surgery, radioactive iodine, hormone treatment or external radiation and depends upon the type of thyroid cancer, the patient's age, the tumor size, and whether the cancer has metastasized. Read more: Thyroid Cancer Article
Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
Thyroid Quiz: Test Your Medical IQ
Your unexplained change in weight could indicate a thyroid condition. Take the Thyroid Quiz to learn about common symptoms and...
Picture of Thyroid
The thyroid is a butterfly-shaped gland located in the front of the neck just below the Adams apple. See a picture of the Thyroid...
Hyperthyroidism Symptoms and Treatment
What is hyperthyroidism? Hyperthyroidism occurs when an overactive thyroid gland produces an excessive amount of thyroid...
Cancer-Fighting Foods in Pictures: Resveratrol, Green Tea, and More
Experts have praised certain foods for their ability to reduce cancer risks. Learn which foods and eating strategies may help...
Thyroid Problems Explained
Learn about thyroid problems such as hyperthyroidism, hypothyroidism, thyroid cancer, and more. Discover symptoms and treatments...
Understanding Cancer: Metastasis, Stages of Cancer, and More
Learn the basics about cancer including types, causes, how it spreads, symptoms and signs, stages and treatment options. Read...
Related Disease Conditions
Liver (Anatomy and Function)
The liver is the largest gland and organ in the body. There are a variety of liver diseases caused by liver inflammation,...
Cancer Risk Factors
Though it's difficult to say why some people develop cancer while others don't, research shows that certain risk factors increase...
High Blood Pressure (Hypertension) Signs, Causes, Diet, and Treatment
High blood pressure (hypertension) is a disease in which pressure within the arteries of the body is elevated. About 75 million...
Hyperthyroidism is an excess of thyroid hormone due to an overactive thyroid gland. Symptoms can include increased heart rate,...
Lung cancer kills more men and women than any other form of cancer. Eight out of 10 lung cancers are due to tobacco smoke. Lung...
Sore throat (throat pain) usually is described as pain or discomfort in the throat area. A sore throat may be caused...
Hypothyroidism (Symptoms, Diet, Natural and Medical Treatments, Tests)
Hypothyroidism is any state in which thyroid hormone production is below normal. Normally, the rate of thyroid hormone...
Diarrhea (Causes, Medicine, Remedies, Treatment)
Diarrhea is a change is the frequency and looseness of bowel movements. Symptoms associated with diarrhea are cramping, abdominal...
Pheochromocytoma is a tumor of the adrenal gland. Pheochromocytomas are quite rare and the vast majority of them are entirely...
Cough (Chronic, Persistent Cough in Adults and Children)
Chronic cough is a cough that does not go away and is generally a symptom of another disorder such as asthma, allergic...
Neck Pain (Cervical Pain)
Neck pain (cervical pain) may be caused by any number of disorders and diseases. Tenderness is another symptom of neck pain....
Swallowing Problems (Dysphagia)
Dysphagia or difficulty in swallowing, swallowing problems. Dysphagia is due to problems in nerve or muscle control. It is...
There are many causes of scalp hair loss. This featured article covers the common ones such as patchy hair loss (alopecia areata,...
Cancer is a disease caused by an abnormal growth of cells, also called malignancy. It is a group of 100 different diseases, and...
Certain behavioral, lifestyle, and environmental factors contribute to cancer. Cancer prevention involves modifying these factors...
Nausea and Vomiting (Causes, Natural Remedies, Diet, Medication)
Nausea is an uneasiness of the stomach that often precedes vomiting. Nausea and vomiting are not diseases, but they are symptoms...
Dry Mouth (Xerostomia)
Dry mouth is a common side effect of many prescription and non-prescription drugs and certain medical conditions. Symptoms of dry...
Thyroid nodules are the most common endocrine problem in the United States. The term "thyroid nodule" refers to any abnormal...
Hashimoto's Thyroiditis (Symptoms, Diet, Treatments, Pregnancy)
Hashimoto's thyroiditis or chronic lymphocytic thyroiditis, is an autoimmune disorder causing inflammation of the thyroid gland....
Chest pain is a common complaint by a patient in the ER. Causes of chest pain include broken or bruised ribs, pleurisy,...
Swollen Lymph Nodes (Glands): Pictures, Causes, Locations, Symptoms, Treatments
Lymph nodes help the body's immune system fight infections. Causes of swollen lymph nodes (glands) may include infection (viral,...
There are several types of thyroid disorders including hypothyroidism, hyperthyroidism, goiters, thyroid nodules, and thyroid...
Dry skin (xeroderma) may be caused by external factors, like cold temperatures, low humidity, harsh soaps, and certain...
Tumor grade is a system used to classify cancer cells in how likely the tumor is to grow and how abnormal they look under a...
Thyroid Disorders Symptoms and Signs
Thyroid diseases and disorders are caused because the body either makes too much or too little thyroid hormones, which are...
Local ResourcesFind a local Oncologist in your town
Treatment & Diagnosis
- Screening Tests for Cancer
- CT Scan (Computerized Tomography)
- Clinical Trials
- Chest X-Ray
- MRI (Magnetic Resonance Imaging Scan)
- Questions To Ask Before Surgery
- Radiation Therapy
- Thyroid Scan
- Fine-Needle Aspiration Biopsy of the Thyroid
- Thyroid Blood Tests
- Thyroid Peroxidase Test
- Advance Medical Directives
- Chest Pain
- Chronic Cough
- Dry Mouth
- Hair Loss
- Neck Pain (Cervicalgia)
- Sore Throat (Pharyngitis)
- Swollen Lymph Nodes (Lymphadenopathy)
- Loss of Appetite
- Doctor: Getting the Most from Your Doctor's Appointment
- How to Choose a Doctor
- Doctor: Checklist to Take To Your Doctor's Appointment
- Cancer Research: Going the Distance
- Cancer: Living Well Despite with Win Boerckel
- Cancer Treatment: Writing to Heal with Margie Davis
- Cancer Survival and Attitude with Hamilton Jordan
- Cancer: Confronting Cancer with Humor
- Cancer: Journaling to Save Your Life
- Thyroid Disorders: The Doctor Is In
- Dry Skin
- Mouth Sores
- Thyroid FAQs
- Thyroid Nodule Surgery - Tipper's Thyroid
- Coping with a Bad Disease - Community Counts
- Thyroid Cancer: Chief Justice Has Thyroid Cancer
- Thyroid Cancer Symptoms and Warning Signs
- Roger Ebert and Thyroid Cancer
- Thyroid Cancer in Children and Teenagers
- Natural vs. Synthetic Thyroid Medications for Thyroid
- Does Hashimoto's Thyroiditis Cause Other Diseases?
- Thyroid Disease Types and Treatments
- Don't Be Afraid to Ask - Dr. Mathur
- What Is Bone Cancer?
- Complementary and Alternative Cancer Treatments
- Weight Gain, Obesity & Cancer Risk
- Hypothyroidism Symptoms
- Goiter Causes, Symptoms, and Treatment
- Potassium Iodide Pills: Can They Protect You From Radiation Exposure?
- Ask The Experts - Thyroid
Medications & Supplements
Prevention & Wellness
- Thyroid Surgery Complications Can Land Some Back in the Hospital
- Look for Early Signs of Thyroid Cancer, Experts Urge
- Thyroid Cancer Survivors at Risk for Heart Disease
- Drug Duo Approved for Aggressive Thyroid Cancer
- No Routine Screening for Thyroid Cancer: Expert Panel
- Household Flame Retardants Tied to Thyroid Cancer Risk
- Gene Changes May Put Childhood Cancer Survivors at Risk
- U.S. Thyroid Cancer Cases Continue to Rise
- Check Your Neck for Thyroid Abnormalities
- Young Thyroid Cancer Survivors May Face Long-Term Health Risks
- No Benefit From Routine Thyroid Cancer Screening: Task Force
- Scans Not Worthwhile for Most Thyroid Cancers: Study
- Thyroid Cancer Cases in U.S. Level Off, Perhaps Reflecting Diagnostic Changes
- Surgeons' Experience Matters With Thyroid Removal
- Breast Cancer Survivors Vulnerable for Thyroid Tumors, and Vice Versa: Study
- Thyroid Cancer Survivors: Good Prognosis, Gloomy Outlook?
- Surgeon's Experience Tied to Success of Thyroid Removal: Study
- Better Imaging Scans Catching More Thyroid Cancers: Study
- Breast Cancer Survivors May Have Higher Thyroid Cancer Risk
- Specially Trained Pooch Sniffs Out Thyroid Cancer
- Study Questions Close Monitoring of Thyroid Growths
- New Drug May Slow Recurrent Thyroid Cancer, Study Finds
- Falling Cancer Death Rate Means 1.5 Million Lives Saved Over 20 Years
- Woman's Thyroid Tumor Yields Clues on How to Battle Cancer
- Targeted Drugs Among Successes Against Cancer, Says New Report
- Kidney and Thyroid Cancer Rates Up Among U.S. Children, Study Finds
- New Drug Shows Promise for Resistant Thyroid Cancer
- Thyroid Tumors May Be More Dangerous for Cancer Survivors: Study
- Surge in Thyroid Cancer Cases May Be Due to Overdiagnoses: Study
- Minorities, Poor More Likely to Be Diagnosed With Advanced Thyroid Cancer
- Nexavar Approval Expanded for Common Thyroid Cancer
- Suicide a Risk for Young Cancer Patients, Study Finds
- Steady Rise in Thyroid Cancer Not Explained by Better Screening, Study Says
- Too Many Unnecessary Thyroid Biopsies Performed, Experts Say
- Childhood Abuse Linked to Later Thyroid Problems for Women
- Drug May Work Against Advanced Thyroid Cancer
- Many Who Got Thyroid Cancer After Chernobyl Still Alive: Study
- Gene May Boost Death Risk From Most Common Thyroid Cancer
- Cancer Death Rates Drop 20% Over 2 Decades
- Cometriq Approved for Rare Thyroid Cancer
- Brooke Burke Has Thyroid Cancer
- Poorer Patients Find Thyroid Cancer at Later Stage: Study
- Drug May Aid People With Advanced Thyroid Cancer
- Thyroid Cancer Seldom Shortens Lifespan, Study Finds
- Obese More Likely to Be Diagnosed With Advanced Thyroid Cancer
- Lower-Dose Radioiodine Effective Against Thyroid Cancer
- Thyroid Condition Linked to Heart Problems: Study
- Consumer Group to FDA: Take Victoza off the Market
- Thyroid Surgery Riskier for Older Patients: Study
- Health Highlights: March 7, 2012
- From Bad to Better: U.S. Cancer Rates Continue to Drop
- Type of Muscular Dystrophy Linked to Raised Cancer Risk
- Nuclear Meltdown in Japan: Radiation Risk?
- Experts Divided on Whether to Treat Thyroid Cancer
- Thyroid Cancer Higher in Volcanic Areas
- Radiation Exposure Linked to Aggressive Thyroid Cancers
- Thyroid Cancer and Broken Collar Bone -- An Accidental Lifesaver
- Cancer Treatment: Getting the Support You Need
- Cancer Treatment: Complementary and Alternative Medicine
- Cancer Causing Agents - Carcinogens
- Lesion...What Does The Doctor Mean?
- Cancer Treatment: Pre-Treatment Eating Tips
- Whole Body Scanning, Do You Really Need One?
- Pain Control Record Chart
- Cancer and Sexual Health
- Chemotherapy and Other Cancer Treatment Side Effects
- Cancer Treatment - Managing Eating Problems