There are four major types of thyroid cancer: papillary, follicular, medullary, and anaplastic thyroid cancer. Tumors on the thyroid are referred to as thyroid nodules. Symptoms of thyroid cancer include swollen lymph nodes, pain in the throat, difficulty swallowing, hoarseness, and a lump near the Adam's apple. Treatment usually involves chemotherapy, surgery, radioactive iodine, hormone treatment or external radiation and depends upon the type of thyroid cancer, the patient's age, the tumor size, and whether the cancer has metastasized. Read more: Thyroid Cancer Article
Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
Thyroid Problems Explained
Learn about thyroid problems such as hyperthyroidism, hypothyroidism, thyroid cancer, and more. Discover symptoms and treatments...
Understanding Cancer: Metastasis, Stages of Cancer, and More
Learn the basics about cancer including types, causes, how it spreads, symptoms and signs, stages and treatment options. Read...
Hyperthyroidism Symptoms and Treatment
What is hyperthyroidism? Hyperthyroidism occurs when an overactive thyroid gland produces an excessive amount of thyroid...
Cancer-Fighting Foods in Pictures: Resveratrol, Green Tea, and More
Experts have praised certain foods for their ability to reduce cancer risks. Learn which foods and eating strategies may help...
Thyroid Quiz: Test Your Medical IQ
Your unexplained change in weight could indicate a thyroid condition. Take the Thyroid Quiz to learn about common symptoms and...
Picture of Thyroid
The thyroid is a butterfly-shaped gland located in the front of the neck just below the Adams apple. See a picture of the Thyroid...
Related Disease Conditions
Swollen Lymph Nodes (Causes, Locations, Symptoms, Treatments)
Lymph nodes help the body's immune system fight infections. Causes of swollen lymph nodes (glands) may include infection (viral,...
Diarrhea is a change is the frequency and looseness of bowel movements. Symptoms associated with diarrhea are cramping, abdominal...
There are several types of thyroid disorders including hypothyroidism, hyperthyroidism, goiters, thyroid nodules, and thyroid...
Lung cancer kills more men and women than any other form of cancer. Eight out of 10 lung cancers are due to tobacco smoke. Lung...
Sore throats are generally described as pain or discomfort in the throat area. A sore throat may be caused by: bacterial...
Hypothyroidism is any state in which thyroid hormone production is below normal. Normally, the rate of thyroid hormone...
High Blood Pressure (Hypertension)
High blood pressure is defined as a pressure of 140/90 mmHg or higher in the arteries. Genetic factors, high salt intake, and...
Liver (Anatomy and Function)
The liver is the largest gland and organ in the body. There are a variety of liver diseases caused by liver inflammation,...
There are many causes of scalp hair loss. This featured article covers the common ones such as patchy hair loss (alopecia areata,...
Hashimoto's thyroiditis is the most common cause of hypothyroidism in the US. This conditions is caused by inflammation of the...
Neck Pain (Cervical Pain)
Neck pain (cervical pain) may be caused by any number of disorders and diseases. Tenderness is another symptom of neck pain....
Hyperthyroidism is an excess of thyroid hormone resulting from an overactive thyroid gland. Symptoms can include increased...
Thyroid nodules are the most common endocrine problem in the United States. The term "thyroid nodule" refers to any abnormal...
Cancer is a disease caused by an abnormal growth of cells, also called malignancy. It is a group of 100 different diseases, and...
Dry skin (xeroderma) may be caused by external factors, like cold temperatures, low humidity, harsh soaps, and certain...
Pheochromocytoma is a tumor of the adrenal gland. Pheochromocytomas are quite rare and the vast majority of them are entirely...
Dry Mouth (Xerostomia)
Dry mouth is a common side effect of many prescription and non-prescription drugs and certain medical conditions. Symptoms of dry...
Cough (Chronic Cough)
Chronic cough is a cough that does not go away and is generally a symptom of another disorder such...
Nausea and Vomiting (Causes, Natural Remedies, Diet, Medication)
Nausea is an uneasiness of the stomach that often precedes vomiting. Nausea and vomiting are not diseases, but they are symptoms...
Chest pain is a common complaint by a patient in the ER. Causes of chest pain include broken or bruised ribs, pleurisy,...
Dysphagia or difficulty in swallowing, swallowing problems. Dysphagia is due to problems in nerve or muscle control. It is...
Cancer Risk Factors
Though it's difficult to say why some people develop cancer while others don't, research shows that certain risk factors increase...
Tumor grade is a system used to classify cancer cells in how likely the tumor is to grow, and how abnormal they look under a...
Certain behavioral, lifestyle, and environmental factors contribute to cancer. Cancer prevention involves modifying these factors...
Thyroid Cancer - Symptoms
The symptoms of thyroid cancer can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your symptoms at the onset of your disease?Post View 39 Comments
Thyroid Cancer - Treatments
What was the treatment for your thyroid cancer?Post View 13 Comments
Thyroid Cancer - Share Your Surgery Experience
Please share your experience with surgery for thyroid cancer.Post View 7 Comments
Local ResourcesFind a local Oncologist in your town
Treatment & Diagnosis
- MRI (Magnetic Resonance Imaging Scan)
- Thyroid Peroxidase Test
- Thyroid Blood Tests
- CT Scan (Computerized Tomography)
- Fine-Needle Aspiration Biopsy of the Thyroid
- Chest X-Ray
- Early Detection of Cancer
- Radiation Therapy
- Questions To Ask Before Surgery
- Thyroid Scan
- Clinical Trials
- Mouth Sores
- Loss of Appetite
- Chest Pain
- Swollen Lymph Nodes (Lymphadenopathy)
- Neck Pain (Cervicalgia)
- Hair Loss
- Dry Skin
- Chronic Cough
- Sore Throat (Pharyngitis)
- How to Choose a Doctor
- Dry Mouth
- Advance Medical Directives
- Thyroid Disorders: The Doctor Is In
- Doctor: Getting the Most from Your Doctor's Appointment
- Doctor: Checklist to Take To Your Doctor's Appointment
- Cancer Research: Going the Distance
- Cancer: Living Well Despite with Win Boerckel
- Cancer Treatment: Writing to Heal with Margie Davis
- Cancer Survival and Attitude with Hamilton Jordan
- Cancer: Confronting Cancer with Humor
- Cancer: Journaling to Save Your Life
- Thyroid FAQs
- Thyroid Disease Types and Treatments
- Don't Be Afraid to Ask - Dr. Mathur
- What Is Bone Cancer?
- Complementary and Alternative Cancer Treatments
- Weight Gain, Obesity & Cancer Risk
- Thyroid Disease Symptoms and Signs
- Hypothyroidism Symptoms
- Goiter Causes, Symptoms, and Treatment
- Thyroid Cancer in Children and Teenagers
- Thyroid Cancer Symptoms and Warning Signs
- Roger Ebert and Thyroid Cancer
- Potassium Iodide Pills: Can They Protect You From Radiation Exposure?
- Ask The Experts - Thyroid
- Coping with a Bad Disease - Community Counts
- Thyroid Cancer: Chief Justice Has Thyroid Cancer
- Thyroid Nodule Surgery - Tipper's Thyroid
Medications & Supplements
Prevention & Wellness
- No Routine Screening for Thyroid Cancer: Expert Panel
- Household Flame Retardants Tied to Thyroid Cancer Risk
- Gene Changes May Put Childhood Cancer Survivors at Risk
- U.S. Thyroid Cancer Cases Continue to Rise
- Check Your Neck for Thyroid Abnormalities
- Young Thyroid Cancer Survivors May Face Long-Term Health Risks
- No Benefit From Routine Thyroid Cancer Screening: Task Force
- Scans Not Worthwhile for Most Thyroid Cancers: Study
- Thyroid Cancer Cases in U.S. Level Off, Perhaps Reflecting Diagnostic Changes
- Surgeons' Experience Matters With Thyroid Removal
- Breast Cancer Survivors Vulnerable for Thyroid Tumors, and Vice Versa: Study
- Thyroid Cancer Survivors: Good Prognosis, Gloomy Outlook?
- Surgeon's Experience Tied to Success of Thyroid Removal: Study
- Better Imaging Scans Catching More Thyroid Cancers: Study
- Breast Cancer Survivors May Have Higher Thyroid Cancer Risk
- Specially Trained Pooch Sniffs Out Thyroid Cancer
- Study Questions Close Monitoring of Thyroid Growths
- New Drug May Slow Recurrent Thyroid Cancer, Study Finds
- Falling Cancer Death Rate Means 1.5 Million Lives Saved Over 20 Years
- Woman's Thyroid Tumor Yields Clues on How to Battle Cancer
- Targeted Drugs Among Successes Against Cancer, Says New Report
- Kidney and Thyroid Cancer Rates Up Among U.S. Children, Study Finds
- New Drug Shows Promise for Resistant Thyroid Cancer
- Thyroid Tumors May Be More Dangerous for Cancer Survivors: Study
- Surge in Thyroid Cancer Cases May Be Due to Overdiagnoses: Study
- Minorities, Poor More Likely to Be Diagnosed With Advanced Thyroid Cancer
- Nexavar Approval Expanded for Common Thyroid Cancer
- Suicide a Risk for Young Cancer Patients, Study Finds
- Steady Rise in Thyroid Cancer Not Explained by Better Screening, Study Says
- Too Many Unnecessary Thyroid Biopsies Performed, Experts Say
- Childhood Abuse Linked to Later Thyroid Problems for Women
- Drug May Work Against Advanced Thyroid Cancer
- Many Who Got Thyroid Cancer After Chernobyl Still Alive: Study
- Gene May Boost Death Risk From Most Common Thyroid Cancer
- Cancer Death Rates Drop 20% Over 2 Decades
- Cometriq Approved for Rare Thyroid Cancer
- Brooke Burke Has Thyroid Cancer
- Poorer Patients Find Thyroid Cancer at Later Stage: Study
- Drug May Aid People With Advanced Thyroid Cancer
- Thyroid Cancer Seldom Shortens Lifespan, Study Finds
- Obese More Likely to Be Diagnosed With Advanced Thyroid Cancer
- Lower-Dose Radioiodine Effective Against Thyroid Cancer
- Thyroid Condition Linked to Heart Problems: Study
- Consumer Group to FDA: Take Victoza off the Market
- Thyroid Surgery Riskier for Older Patients: Study
- Health Highlights: March 7, 2012
- From Bad to Better: U.S. Cancer Rates Continue to Drop
- Type of Muscular Dystrophy Linked to Raised Cancer Risk
- Nuclear Meltdown in Japan: Radiation Risk?
- Experts Divided on Whether to Treat Thyroid Cancer
- Thyroid Cancer Higher in Volcanic Areas
- Radiation Exposure Linked to Aggressive Thyroid Cancers
- Thyroid Cancer and Broken Collar Bone -- An Accidental Lifesaver
- Cancer Treatment: Getting the Support You Need
- Cancer Treatment: Complementary and Alternative Medicine
- Cancer Causing Agents - Carcinogens
- Cancer Treatment: Pre-Treatment Eating Tips
- Whole Body Scanning, Do You Really Need One?
- Pain Control Record Chart
- Cancer and Sexual Health
- Chemotherapy and Other Cancer Treatment Side Effects
- Cancer Treatment - Managing Eating Problems
- Lesion...What Does The Doctor Mean?
Subscribe to MedicineNet's Cancer Report Newsletter