Patient Comments: Thyroid Blood Tests – Hypothyroidism Diagnosis

What were the results of your thyroid blood tests? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: yakay1, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 23

My thyroid blood test results are, T4 free 0.9 and TSH with reflex to FT4 6.59. I had a partial thyroidectomy in 2000. I have not had to take any thyroid medications at all yet. I had hyperthyroidism then. I called the doctor to see if these results were good for a visit.

Comment from: navymom, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 25

As per my thyroid blood tests my T3 is 2.1 and T4 is 0.7 and my THS was 1.710, normal. My doctor is wanting to put me on a low dose of medication. I don't understand how all this works.

Comment from: good old donna, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: January 27

My TSH test from December 2015 was 33.900. In September 2014 it was 3.57, similar to previous years. In February and March of 2014 I had 36 rounds of radiation therapy for breast cancer. I wonder if there is the possibility of the radiation causing the thyroid to shut down.

Comment from: Avira9, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 17

I finally found a doctor who would listen. For probably 30 years I have had Hashimoto's disease, and have only just discovered it. Conservative doctors do not order the right blood tests, or hear the word 'fatigue'. My TSH is in the normal range, therefore, end of story. Testing my T4 and T3 was never an option after that, nor was testing for thyroid antibodies. Now I have it in print from the pathology service that high levels of thyroid antibodies are characteristic of Hashimoto's disease. My thyroglobulin antibody is 866 percent higher than normal and the thyroid peroxidase is 97 percent (so just within the normal range). Just find a doctor who will listen; not necessarily an endocrinologist either.

Comment from: lindalou, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 03

On 5-28-14 I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism. TSH is 20.76, T4 0.84 and T3-82. May of this year only TSH test done and it is 1.12 now, and that is quite a drop.

Comment from: Smita , 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 30

My thyroid blood test results are, T3 0.26 ng/ml and T4 1.29ug/dl.

Comment from: byrd, 19-24 Female (Caregiver) Published: March 20

My thyroid blood test result should have been under 3.8, it was 16.

Comment from: selva, 7-12 Female (Caregiver) Published: February 23

My thyroid blood test results are FT3 2.26 PG/ML, FT4 1.58 NG/DL, and TSH 0.55 MIU/L.

Comment from: kathy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 13

My T3 was 26 and T4 was 9.10. I am on 25 mg of thyroid medication. I can't lose weight and am staying tired all the time. I wonder if my doctor should increase my medicine.

Comment from: Gail, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 24

My blood tests have been in normal ranges but I have multiple symptoms of hypothyroidism like chronic constipation, chronic cold intolerance that is getting worse, very dry skin, chronic pain from tendonitis, bursitis and now fibromyalgia, insomnia, depression and can gain weight very easily.

Comment from: chante86442, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 17

I am confused about my hypothyroidism, my TSH level is 6.370 and my doctor says that my thyroid level is normal. Meanwhile, my hair doesn't grow, and I am in a lot of pain, and I get hot all the time, even when everyone else is cold. I am a 44 year old female.

Comment from: erutan7, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 25

I have so many symptoms of hypothyroidism. I'm a registered nurse and my doctor will not listen. I have a lump in my throat when swallowing, thyroid can't be palpated. There are furrows from my enlarged tongue; and about 40 more symptoms. I have a shift to left of my t3. My TSH 1.49, T3 2.2, T4 0.8. I cannot control my body temperature. Basal temperatures are 95 in the morning and not stable. I can't deal with all these symptoms. I need a referral to endocrinologist. How do I obtain one when doctor says my thyroid is fine! I have had these symptoms for years. I have been so sick, unable to work.

Comment from: Denverbaby24, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 19

I am beyond frustrated! I got lab work done due to my symptoms. I don"t have health insurance so I did a glucose and full thyroid screening. My first levels came back incredibly low, I felt like maybe this was the answer to my weight gain, heart palpitations, breaking out, extreme fatigue. The doctor ordered an ultrasound of my thyroid, and it said I had some minor cysts on the thyroid. I was then told to have blood work done again in 4 weeks. This blood work came back all normal ranges, but they only checked the TSH and T4 unlike the first time. I am to the point that I don"t know what to do anymore, I am at a loss.

Comment from: Rosemary, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 14

My T4 test came back 0.60 uIU/ml. My thyroid gland was removed surgically in my 20s. My physician just reduced my dosage from 1.0 to 0.88 and I find I"m not doing as well as on a higher dosage. I"ve recently, with diet, lost 30 lb. and this is the second time a doctor has lowered my dosage when I lose weight. Doesn"t seem to understand I don"t feel as well.

Comment from: Jenny in Arizona, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 15

I am 38 and a mother of three. Just recently, I was scared by odd chest sensations that turned out to be heart palpitations brought on by thyroid problems. My other symptoms were: hot feelings on my face, sweating, dizziness after the palpitations, inability to concentrate on a task and tenderness in my muscles and tingling limbs. My first blood test showed an underactive thyroid. After taking .025 mcg for 30 days, my blood tests still came back that I needed a dosage increase. So now I just started taking .05 mcg. My symptoms have decreased some. The heart palpitations are down to about three a day and only happen when I am busy doing activities. I still get dizzy, mostly in the mornings. (And mom if you are reading this: No, I am not pregnant, haha.) I am feeling so much better than I did one month ago, and I am looking forward to feeling even better as they regulate my thyroid levels. I hope this will help someone. If I am to have any health issues, this is the one I would choose because I already feel so much better, and I am still not where they want me to be.

Comment from: singh, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: December 01

I have T3 1.41, T4 10.5 and TSH 7.91, I wonder if I am suffering from hypothyroidism.

Comment from: Shailja, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 07

My T3 is 139 ng/dl, T4 is 11.7 ug/dl and thyroid stimulating hormone TSH is 2.97 uIU/ml, and the testing method for all is CLIA.

Comment from: b sevilla, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: March 10

The results of my thyroid blood test are T3 4.34 pg/ml, T4 1.13 pg/ml and TSH 3.10 pg/ml.

Comment from: Odile, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 09

My worst symptoms are overactive bladder (OAB) and shortness of breath. I went to a psychiatrist who thinks the cause is anxiety. But I have many physical symptoms that are very unpleasant and new to me: fatigue, major weight loss, muscle weakness, trembling hands, anxiety and hair loss on my eyebrow! I went to a new internist who suspected thyroid issues, but my thyroid blood test didn't show this. I am dismayed as thyroid is at least treatable! My symptoms are too numerous to be coincidence. I will go for additional tests I guess.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 17

I don't know what is wrong-my doctor says that all of my blood work is in the "high normal" ranges. I am a 50 year old female. Up until 6 months ago I would have described myself as normal, healthy very active professional. Since December I have lost 50 lbs, have very frequent periods (two or three times an hour) where I sweat profusely, cannot sleep, yet am constantly exhausted, easily agitated, short temper, difficulty concentrating, cannot remember anything (walk out of the room and forget what I went to get and I get lost on my way to the store) cannot complete a task, I am in constant pain, my muscles ache, and my joints are throbbing. My menstrual periods suddenly stopped in January. Yet my doctor says he can find no reason for any of my symptoms, and thinks it is all due to emotional things, although there have been no drastic changes in my life to cause any upheaval.

Comment from: karo21, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 20

I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism because my Free T4 level was .72 on a scale of .89 - 1.76 ng/dL and my TSH level was 21.56 on a scale of .35 - 5.50 uIU/mL. Have not received the test results back from my ultrasound and have a couple of weeks before my endocrinology appointment. I had a baby 9 months ago and believe the pregnancy onset slowed the acting thyroid. Some of my symptoms are no energy, not able to lose weight and sadness. My doctor prescribed Synthroid but I have not started taking it yet. I am more interested in addressing this temporary thyroid issue through holistic healing instead of taking a synthetic hormone for the rest of my life. To start I've been taking Iodine and am changing my diet with the help of my holistic doctor. If this does not work, then I will take the Synthroid. Woodland Hills, CA

Comment from: Katy, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: May 18

When I was 14, my ninth grade English teacher told my mom I needed medicine for ADHD because I was to hyper. It was then I started Ritalin and was on it for 6 years, yet it never actually helped. I was still hyper and did horrible in school (short-term memory loss) but continued to persevere as I was in my second year of college and finally I went to the doctor for a rash (one of many that I constantly battled, along with no menstrual cycle, vomiting daily and short-term memory loss and emotional distress) and the pediatric doctor said he wanted to test me for thyroid disease. I was like Huh? What is that? Sure enough the vomiting was because my thyroid was overproducing so much of the thyroid hormone that the vomiting was my body's way of trying to get rid of it. I had radioactive iodine and have been well for about 3 years now. I have had a thyroid storm experience here lately, but there are always bumps in the road. My case was extremely out of the ordinary and one of the worst ones the doctors have seen. Oh and I was 90 pounds from the age of 13 until my diagnosis at age 21.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: March 17

Thyroid "blood" tests were not helpful, because the highly "sensitive TSH" and T4 did not show the health care professional that I had Hashimoto's. Nor did serum tests show that the high conversion from an eventual increased dose of L-thyroxine [200mcg] actually occurred, because I still had hypo symptoms. I knew this because no one had checked the FREE T3 and FREE T4. My TSH was in the low-normal reference range [0.44]; according to that specific lab. However, when the FT3 and FT4 were administered it showed that they were less than what was the lab's "normal-reference" range. Indicating that there was still a problem with my ability to convert all that T4 [storage hormone] to the active T3, indicating a poor conversion rate and perhaps adrenal dysfunction. Hypothyroidism is NOT the simple disease that most patients are lead to believe and the one-size-fits-all approach by doctors because of misinformation by the AMA - is harming more patients than are helped!

Comment from: firestar, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 04

I have been on Synthroid for 15 years now before that I was 15 and never got fat until I got pregnant wit my son, but I didn't know I had it until after I had him and then I started being real cold my hands hurt I would sometimes forget and I still do. I am 32 now. I am real cold. I sometimes forget things. I'm tired all the time I used to love to clean and wash clothes and now I hate doing them. If I didn't have to I wouldn't. I don't like doing a lot of things I use to do I'm on my meds, but like I said I forget sometimes and 2 years ago I went to my 1 doctor. She asked me what I was doing in her office cause she said I should have been dead cause of my blood test was way too high. I feel like there is something else wrong with me but docs checked everything and nothing. I want to say that if you miss your meds you can die from it, go blind, and a lot of other stuff, so take it daily. Don't forget like I do at times.

Comment from: Pauline, 75 or over Female Published: December 01

Thirty years ago, I went to my doctor because I felt tired, depressed and without energy while there was no reason to feel that way. First, he recommended a psychiatrist. I told him I didn't believe I needed tranquilizers or anti-depressants and that I thought there was physically something wrong. So then he took some thyroid blood tests and found I had hypothyroidism. He put me on Synthroid and all of those symptoms I had complained about never came back. It saved my life!

Comment from: kumari, 35-44 Female (Caregiver) Published: July 08

My thyroid blood test results are, T3-0.9, T4-8.2, and TSH- 2.5.

Comment from: priya, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 10

My thyroid blood test results are T3 94.3ng/dl, T4 7.8, and TSH 0.19.

Comment from: T4 test, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: March 24

My thyroid blood test result is T4 .3 higher than the normal range.

Comment from: raji, 35-44 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 15

The results of my thyroid blood tests: T-3 is 85, T-4 is 7.10, Free T-3, 2.14, Free T-4, 1.10, and TSH is 6.16.

Comment from: Catbird, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 20

After two years of severe illness, I was diagnosed with hypothyroid. It has taken two years of gradual increases in my medication to finally get my TSH down to 2. I am now on 250 mcg of Synthroid. This disease is nothing to play with. I honestly felt like I was going crazy, gaining weight, had heart palpitations, chronic pain all over my body, the list goes on and on. I was recently diagnosed with fibromyalgia and am now wondering if this is just another symptom of my disease.

Comment from: redeckchick, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: October 06

I went on for a long time not knowing what was wrong with me I couldn't gain weight and I was really hyper and I couldn't sleep and that's when they finally found out that I have hyperthyroidism. I have been on methimazole now for almost 20 months and the doctor said that it has worked on everybody else and it has not worked on me I have to go back and they are going to use radioactive dye to kill my thyroid. I am only 18 years old and they say it usually doesn't affect people under 20 and i have had it since I was 16.

Comment from: Jane, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 25

My doctor ordered two types of thyroid blood tests because I had gained a lot of weight, despite exercising and diet. I also had very flaky skin, puffy eyes, legs, and hands. I was constantly tired. I could sleep all day if I didn't have to work. The tests revealed I was hypothyroid. I have been on Synthroid for about a month and feel a lot better. I am supposed to have another blood test to assure the level of Synthroid is correct.

Comment from: losing weight, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 17

I will be 57 soon and have been on Synthroid for the past maybe 5 years. I weighed my self this morning and now I weigh 102. I hate this because I look like a skeleton. People have said you look sickly many times. My dose is 88mg. I've started taking half hoping that I'll gain some weight. I started out at 120 and felt great then got sick. My doctor doesn't seem to think my losing weight is a big deal.

Comment from: julie, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 17

I was diagnosed about 3 months ago with hypothyroidism and I am taking Eltroxin only 25mcg but I have no appetite. I work 12 hour shifts and can only eat breakfast. For the rest of the day all I can stomach is tea. I am just worried its the tablets not agreeing with me.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 27

I recently (5 weeks ago) started levothyroxine for underactive thyroid. I am a 54 years old, and run 50-60 miles per week, more during marathon training. I was told my problems were related to my age, my running, etc. Finally, I insisted to my family doctor that something was just not right. Having previously been diagnosed with WPW he did pay attention. I am thin and in good shape no one listened. If you feel something is not right, do your research. I now have even more energy and I feel like I a completely different person.

Comment from: Miserable in PA, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 14

I just keep gaining weight. For example, I have gained 7lbs. in the last 6 weeks. I am tired and my blood pressure is high. I was told my thyroid is dead. I was put on Synthroid. I hated it. I would sweat all the time. I felt dizzy.

Comment from: emmajane, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 14

My thyroid was surgically removed in 1997 and I have been on Synthroid ever since. I have blood work every 6 months. I can easily tell when my TSH levels are not "normal."

Comment from: darcy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

Having been diagnosed at the age of 25 with hypothyroidism, it has been an up and down situation with medication adjustments every six weeks to three months. It can be frustrating; although after all this time I can pretty much tell when things aren't right. I really don't want to go without my medication, so I continue to become very well acquainted with the lab techs and my physician.

Comment from: 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

If you have high thyroid levels in your blood and it goes undetected for a long time, it causes a lot of pain, confusion, brain fog and I need help. They are telling me they cannot do surgery until the levels go down or I will bleed to death during the surgery. God have mercy. My head is closing in on me, I am bloated like air has been pumped into me. I am in a brain fog.

Comment from: 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

Can you be hyper and hypothyroid? I have symptoms of both, I've been diagnosed with hypo and put on Synthroid, I was reading about hyper and seen I have about five of the symptoms for that, like chest pain, tremors, increased heart rate, weight loss, headaches, insomnia, and extreme fatigue and brain fog,{I know some symptoms are for both}I am also fibrocystic and have had tingling in hands, when I get a cold or sinus infection it's really bad, it's the heart that's worrying me the most, I'm miserable.

Comment from: DJW, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

I could tell something was just not right. I have always been a very active person who loves gardening, canning, cooking and house work. This past year I have slowly, but surely slowed down. Everything wears me down. I'm depressed, sleepy, tired and have no stamina. Heart palpations, constipation, and no appetite. I went to the doctor who ordered blood work. She called and said I have hyperthyroidism and will be starting on meds as soon as the pharmacy fills it.

Comment from: Susie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 06

My doctor has ordered a series of tests. The test you take when you want to know the sex of your baby. Only she used my throat and I saw the picture. I also am to see an endocrinologist in a few weeks. I have been on levothyroxine and my hair is still falling out. Though it's only been a few weeks to soon to tell. I hear you need at least six weeks. I am 56 and my weight is ridiculous. I feel tired all the time can sleep all day into the wee hours. Just a trip 1 block wears me. This is coming from a person who could work a 12 hour day then garden. I pray this med will improve things considerably.

Comment from: 35-44 Female Published: October 06

I have been having symptoms of being very tired, many bowel movements; sometimes loose and frequent. I have sweats get agitated and my period is very weird, I sometimes get it and then I don't. I've lost 25 pounds and don't need to at all. I weigh 113 and am 5'2. My skin is oily also and I'm 44 years old. Never had that problem in my life. My appetite is not good either.

Subscribe to MedicineNet's General Health Newsletter