Patient Comments: Thrush - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with thrush. Submit Your Comment

Comment from: susie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 18

I developed a virus a year ago in February. For several months I continued having fevers. I slowly developed a cough as if I had asthma. The wheezing and coughing were getting worse and scary. Eventually I started losing weight, lots of weight. I had a total and complete series of blood work and x-rays. Then the thrush came and I had 3 occurrences lasting 3 weeks, each episode causing more weight loss and burning in my mouth that was excruciating. Finally my doctor took me seriously and put me on 10 tablets of 150 milligrams of Diflucan and I started taking Nexium and Allegra. It has been a miracle so far. I didn't realize how sick I really was; till 32 pounds later.

Comment from: mimi, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: July 12

I have been taking 3 antibiotics for MAC (mycobacterium avium complex), possibly for 18 months, it seems thrush is inevitable. I plan on using the home remedies first before trying any prescription medicines. I hope they work.

Comment from: breo216, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 17

I developed a sudden onset of fever after experiencing sore scratchy throat with constant cough and difficulty swallowing. I had sores in my mouth and lips that eventually went into my throat. The thrush was caused by Breo inhaler, I am on 2nd round of antibiotics and 14 days of lozenges five times a day. My cough is starting to return and I notice a small bleeding on Kleenex when coughing. It makes you not want to eat or watch what you eat due to the ulcers in my throat.

Comment from: NorthshoreSarcasm9, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 14

I was put on a high dose of antibiotics before gallbladder removal surgery. Surgery was Monday, 4/6/15, went smoothly and I was home resting in bed Monday afternoon. On Tuesday, I noticed my throat and back of my tongue were sore, felt dry and feeling a little inflamed (like I drank something too hot and got a minor burn). Wednesday the pain was still there but eating rough foods seemed to cause more pain. I chalked this up to soreness from having a tube down my throat during surgery. By Thursday evening I was convinced I had picked up a bad strain of strep throat. My throat was burning and the pain was getting worse, not lessening as it should be, 3 days post-surgery. My sister looked at my throat and saw what looked like white polka dots in my throat and my tongue was white. I called the doctor first thing Friday morning and was diagnosed with thrush by 9:30 am Friday. I was put on nystatin. I've had strep throat many (10 plus) times and I can tell you I would choose strep over thrush any day. I would rather recover from another surgery than deal with thrush again. The pain medications I was given for my surgery recovery don't even touch the pain from thrush. My mouth and throat constantly feel newly burned and raw (feels like I took a giant bite of scalding soup). The nystatin gives me about 10 minutes of relief through numbness, then wears off. Unlike strep, thrush hurts constantly, not just when you swallow. Thieves essential oil that usually numb a sore throat and give me at least 30 minutes of relief do nothing for thrush. My breathing is strained. I can be sitting in bed resting and then all the sudden sound like I'm smothering and have to struggle to suck in a big breath. Cold things don't help. The only relief I've found is through Sucrets throat drops. They taste gross but everything is numb so I don't care.

Comment from: Michael, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: February 06

I have had bouts of thrush for many years now. It started the first time when I was taking antibiotics. It sure scared me when I looked at my tongue, and it was black. I went to my doctor right away, and he gave me a liquid, nystatin I believe. What seemed to help the most was hydrogen peroxide mixed with water 50/50. I would swish it around, and brush my tongue with it about 3 or 4 times a day. Gargling with it helps also. Take a good high power probiotic also. Avoid sugar as the yeast feeds on the sugar. It will go away fast from your mouth, and throat. Stay on the probiotics for life, and try to avoid sugar as much as possible. It takes time to get rid of this yeast from your system. Months in many cases. Some articles say it is an epidemic in the US right now due to our poor diets, and overuse of sugar. I hope this helps. Thank you.

Comment from: balx23, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 10

I have thrush probably every 2 or 3 months at the very least. I always have to get fluconazole which definitely does the trick.

Comment from: chris, 65-74 (Patient) Published: April 27

Just recently, I have had a gum infection and was put on antibiotics. As always I seem to get oral thrush and this is very painful. I was told by the pharmacy staff, that if you are over 60 you have to contact your general physician (GP). When you get to my age you know what is wrong, but they refused, so I have to take up the time of the very busy GP.

Comment from: Karen, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 07

The doctor told me today that I have thrush. It started as white spots on my tongue but only on the right. They got worse with sores on the inside of my lips and cheek. Still only on the right. This morning I woke up with bad pain in my right temple. It felt like a hot poker going in my temple and the sores going to the outside of my mouth and a red patchy rash on my face still all on the right side. The worse part about this whole thing is the pain. The doctor gave me nystatin.

Comment from: Fran, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 15

I was on several (5 to 6) courses of different antibiotics for pneumonia over 4 months. Then I was misdiagnosed with bronchitis and given a steroid inhaler. I have used nystatin (the thrush cleared up but then came back) and am now using fluconazole. Although KOH (potassium hydroxide) is negative, candida antibody test is positive.

Comment from: Shirl, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: October 24

I've had thrush for almost 2 years that I know of, as a result of high doses of antibiotics given when I was hospitalized for chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) exacerbation. I have been treated with at least three of the medicines written about in these articles and the last time I was fairly free of symptoms for about a week. Last night I woke up with swollen gums (this has happened before so I figure it will go away before too long) which makes it difficult to swallow. I also have a disgusting taste, furry mouth and teeth and sore spots in and on the outside of my lips.

Comment from: Sxyslim, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 22

I experienced thrush just a few days ago. I was taking antibiotics and inhaler for sinus congestion. I found out I that have the Flu. My mouth started burning like someone was putting fire to the roof of my mouth. It is so sore. I cannot eat or chew food. The doctor put me on nystatin for 5 days. I had top swish and spit 1 teaspoon four times a day. It is a little better, but my gums are still sore. I have to numb my mouth to eat food. Drinking ice cold drinks soothes the burning.

Comment from: Lizzy, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 18

I nursed my husband for about 3 years as he had a terminal illness. The stress of him dying caused me to get Candida, which I did not know what it was at the time. I felt ill and my general practitioner treated my thrush with amoxicillin antibiotics. I have learned this can cause Candida also. After having Nystatin, I have found that probiotic yogurt (plain with no flavors) swished around the mouth and left in for a while without swallowing is a great help and my throat is much easier now. Also, pineapple chunks, no syrup, in natural juice, rubbed and swished around the mouth, helps to move the Candida.

Comment from: Skibz, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: August 29

I'm an 18-year-old girl with severe systemic lupus. Because of the aggressive course of treatment that has compromised my immune system, I developed a persistent case of thrush. I was put on Nystatin Oral Suspension to hold in my mouth and swallow and that took care of the thrush for about a week, but then it came back. Now it's worse than ever. My entire tongue is covered in white bumps, and my mouth is so sensitive I can no longer eat or drink much of anything. It constantly feels as if I just got finished brushing my teeth with sandpaper and decided to floss with a serrated knife. My doctors are concerned that the thrush may spread to other parts of my body. If you have a bad case of thrush that won't go away, go see your doctor because it could be very dangerous if the infection gets into the rest of your body.

Comment from: margo, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 29

I had thrush for 6 months due to taking antibiotics. It was really getting me down, I had drops and creams, but nothing worked. I read natural yogurt works and after 3 days of using it my thrush is almost clear. It cost me 50p, I can't believe it!

Comment from: Sandy, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 14

I have had the thrush forever. I have tried all most everything. Nothing works for me. I think most doctors think you are crazy. I have the book 'Yeast Connection'. It describes yeast infection very well. I have yet to get help with it.

Comment from: fedup, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: September 09

The doctor diagnosed me with thrush in the mouth. It's been 16 days now and the insides of my cheeks are burning especially when I eat any salt, hot foods, or any hot drinks. Sometimes I get blisters inside my mouth when I eat or drink hot things.

Comment from: grant88, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: July 28

I get white froth on my tongue, back of the tongue appears raised and irritated. At times I have a throbbing feeling, lips burn, and mouth feels warm/hot. I also have overproduction of saliva because of thrush.

Comment from: Stressed parent., 7-12 Female (Caregiver) Published: July 14

My daughters tongue looks awful, and she can`t eat or drink because of the pain the thrush is causing. This website said I do not have to keep her off school, though I`m sure that her school may not agree as it is very contagious.

Comment from: Polly, 75 or over (Patient) Published: May 19

I just spent the night in Accident & Emergency with severe headache and chest/throat pain which had lasted 4 days. Discharged with diagnosis of oral thrush; medication Nilstat and painkillers. Hope it clears up soon. My sympathy to people with long term thrush.

Comment from: Marinawoman, 65-74 Female (Caregiver) Published: September 15

My Grandmother had 17 children-my Mother is the baby (and still living at 92 yrs old). When any of the 17 children got Thrush, then my Grandmother stewed a hen and poured the broth in a pot once cooled, (put in refrigerator and fat will rise to the top) she scraped the fat from the broth, and rubbed the fat inside the mouth of the child this was repeated for several days until Thrush was gone. When I was 14 yrs old, I had Thrush. Well, Mother treated me the same way Grandmother treated all her children and it works. My Uncle was in Baptist hospital following a stroke and slept with his mouth open. Scabs formed on his tongue. My Mother got the doctor's permission to try this home remedy, using the fat of a hen (she kept a jar in the refrigerator) each trip to the hospital she rubbed the fat in my uncle's mouth and on his tongue. Within a few days all the scabs were gone, and even his lips were smooth. This really works. You may want to try it. There are healing properties in broth, so I guess that is the secret. Thanks to Grandmother

Comment from: Kenna, 7-12 Female (Patient) Published: September 15

Thrush was probably the worst mouth infection i ever had. At the time I was wrongly diagnosed with asthma and was on all these medications. I was 8 and it was Christmas time. My mom had noticed that I was starting to get white dots all over my mouth. It started on my tongue and just kept progressing until she called my aunt in Pennsylvania who is a doctor. My mom explained to her that i wouldn't eat or drink anything, not even water, because it hurt so bad i would cry. I didn't eat for at least 6 days. Mom took me to the emergency room because she didn't know what else to do. They gave me this orange liquid that really helped, but then they gave me orange pop to get rid of the nasty, bitter taste it had. Well, i started to scream it hurt so bad. They gave me more of that liquid and told my mom I had thrush. After about a week of taking that stuff my thrush went away. I am very grateful for the doctors at the Van Wert hospital.

Comment from: 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: August 04

I got thrush after a sudden bout of fever. It was a strange sequence of events. I kissed a boy one night and within a few hours I had a high fever of 102 degrees and was experiencing pain in my tongue. Eating and drinking things made my tongue hurt even more, and it felt like parts of my tongue were being scraped off. Then the next day, I woke up and found white spots all over the sides of my tongue, with the middle of my tongue bloody and raw-looking. I went to the doctor right away and they told me it was thrush.

Comment from: 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: August 04

I have had the condition of what I believe is thrush for about two years, but the past three months or so it has worsened quite a bit and I now have blister like spots on the side of my tongue. It started as a swollen tongue only. It burns and I am on Nystatin per my internist for almost two weeks now with very little results. I take the medication faithfully four times a day as a mouth wash and spit out. It forms strings into the toilet bowl, both going down and coming up from the bottom. Does this sound like thrush to you and how else can I treat it? Can it come from a visit to the Dentist?

Published: July 22

I'm a healthy, active 51-year-old, but I smoke. I noticed some white bumps on the back of my tongue the other day. Upon further inspection, I noticed a green tint to my tongue. I had thought it was from a Spearmint I had just eaten, however, the green tint has lasted for a few days now. I went to a doctor and was diagnosed with thrush. I am going for blood work in a couple of days. The doctor prescribed "rest" along with the following prescriptions: Clotrimazole: 10 mg chewable tablets, five times per day. Fluconazole: 150 mg pill, one time per day for 10 days. No pain involved. I am pretty stressed at the office, so I am praying that that is all it is. I have been on the medications since last night and have noticed a reduction in the visible symptoms.

Comment from: Dentist100, 55-64 Male (Caregiver) Published: June 11

BasicBites has been shown to treat thrush very well.

Comment from: mopaulson, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: June 28

I have sleepless nights due to dry mouth and a coating of white saliva. The days seem better because I get to drink water.

Comment from: Mia, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 21

I have 6 or 7 sores under my tongue and inside between front teeth and lips. I"m having a hard time eating right now.

Comment from: samba, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: January 21

I have suffered thrush for two years now, all effort to treat it proved abortive. I have done various tests including HIV test many times in the space of two years, all showing normal. I am so tired of my health state as it has deprived me so many things of life.

Comment from: buddy, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

I have had thrush for about 2 weeks. I am being treated by the doctor with Nystatin oral suspension. I do have lupus. It isn't getting better, and now I have a yeast infection vaginally.

Comment from: cmb, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 08

I found out I was in perimenopause and almost no estrogen production. My endocrinologist put me on hormone replacement. A low dose at first then increased it double due to still too low estrogen. Within 3 months I noticed a white tongue and difficulty swallowing. I felt like something stuck in my throat. I was put on nystatin at first. It helped a little, then fluconazole for 10 days. It went 3 weeks after treatment really well, then another bout. I'm currently on 2nd round of 10 day fluconazole. I pray it works this time. I no longer take the estrogen!

Comment from: jackie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 08

I have had thrush for about a month now and no meds are helping. My tongue is a light shade of green and it is painful, and sometimes burns. I have loose fitting dentures and have taken them out and still with my meds the thrush is not going away. I did the oral rinse twice, and am on a double dose of Fluconazole 100 mg. I have to take 2 of them once a day. I was also on a med that made me sick. It started with sufa don't remember the rest. Is anyone else having a hard time with getting rid of thrush?

Comment from: Tiredof being sick!, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 31

The doctor put me on levaquin 500mg for sore throat and about 5 days later i started to notice white patches in the back of my throat and on the inside of my bottom lip. It is thrush from taking the antibiotic and inhalers. It is treated with a liquid that you swish around in your mouth then you swallow it.

Comment from: KrisW, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 17

I developed thrush after a week of steroid and antibiotic treatment for a throat infection. Yesterday, I discovered the white, uncomfortable bumps on my inner lips, tongue, and cheeks. In the past, I have used Colgate baking soda and peroxide toothpaste for sores in the mouth and brushed with it a few time during the day and at night. This morning the thrush was much improved, and tonight it is almost gone.

Comment from: emtsak877, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 15

My doctor gave me samples of a medication to try for my restless leg syndrome. After taking them for a week, I started to develop a slight rash on my face. I discontinued the medicine, but the next day, the rash had spread to my neck, scalp, ears, and the rest of my body. I started taking an antihistamine right away. At first I thought the rash or hives had gone into my mouth and tongue, but when I woke up with a thick white coating and painful lesions on my tongue, I figured it must be thrush. Unfortunately, I also suspect a vaginal yeast infection. Seems my body doesn't like me much right now! Naturally this is happening over a weekend when my doctor's office isn't open.

Comment from: Maggie, 0-2 Male (Caregiver) Published: August 29

My baby is now 6 months old and has had thrush in his mouth for around four long months. It started by antibiotics. I treated it with Nilstat drops for three months, and it didn't change a thing! I haven't treated it for one month now, and it is still there but it's not getting any worse. I tell the doctor and she says it'll go in its own time.

Published: July 02

I'm 17 years old, and my doctor says that I may have thrush. He's gotten a second opinion and I took a throat culture and blood test to see if it really is a fungal infection. I also have asthma and I'm not to sure if its being triggered by whatever could be sprouting in the back of my throat. 4 days ago I was at the doctors because of a weird feeling in my throat and persistent mucus, but they took a strep test and it came out negative. He put me on Nasonex. I'm not sexually active and I haven't kissed anyone in quite sometime. I haven't been too stressed out either.

Published: June 30

A natural way to treat thrush in the early stages is to eat plain yogurt, holding it in your mouth for 30-60 seconds with each bite. Make sure it says "active culture" on the label. If you cannot tolerate the sour flavor, put a cup or two in a blender, and add a banana, and a little honey for flavor if necessary. A little ice makes it like a shake. Sip and hold it in your mouth with each drink. I had a camper get this where we didn't have much in the way of medical help, and we did this, plus gave the camper Acidophilus pills (Pearls is the name we used, they are good as they target the lower intestine, and are tiny so are easy to swallow). She was clear of the thrush in two days. She was taking two "Pearls", 4 times a day. This helps fight the yeast infection, and put good bacteria into your system so it does not spread to other parts of your body. One other thing we did is to take her off any white sugar and breads as these feed the yeast.

Published: June 19

My toddler son has now had thrush in his mouth 7 times after the 4 time the doctor took a blood test it came back he was low in iron (which is understandable he has severe reflux) so he thought that was the reason for getting thrush. He since has been on Ferodan 5mls twice daily for the past 3 months only to get thrush back again. Any suggestions would be of great help.

Published: June 05

My 6 week old daughter developed thrush and I didn't know it. I am breast feeding and she spread it to me. I experienced soreness, cracking & bleeding of the breasts. My daughter was treated with a prescribed medicine. I was treated by applying Lotrimin anti fungal cream to my nipple area. Both treatments cleared the problem.

Published: May 29

My 3 year old grandson was fine and then white spots appeared on his tongue. Over the next day they continued to spread on the tongue, uvula, & roof of his mouth. It's only been one day, but he is otherwise happy and active as usual.

Comment from: 45-54 Male (Caregiver) Published: October 16

My husband developed thrush after throat surgery. He took two different types of antibiotics as part of his treatment. My husband rarely if never takes medication and as a result he developed thrush in his mouth and throat. He was prescribed medication and in about 3 weeks the thrush was gone. For 3 weeks now he has complained of upper back pain and abdominal pain. Today he had blood in his stool and a fever. Is this a symptom that the thrush has spread to his lower intestine or another part of his body? We have an appointment with a gastro doctor tomorrow.

Comment from: mother of two, 0-2 (Patient) Published: October 16

I have a 13 month old child and at first I noticed she had a diaper rash. The next day the rash had spread and she had a small white bump on her tongue. I decided to take her to the doctor. The very next day and all night she had a fever. In the morning I noticed her mouth lesion was bigger and it looked like cottage cheese, the rash looked worse and once at the doctor's office they told me it was thrush.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 15

My lips started to become chapped red and sore, no matter what I put on them they would still feel the same. I have a white film on my tongue and a dark spot near the back of my tongue. At night while sleeping my lips swell and it wakes me up. Also my mouth becomes very dry at night. I'm going through menopause so I get hot flashes with sweats all through the day and night. I take high blood pressure medication and high cholesterol medication. I have tried the yogurt for a week know, along with other all natural remedies, colon cleanse, drinking clove teas with cinnamon, high doses of Kyo-Dophilus, and Echinacea & Goldenseal, flaxseed oil, with no relief so far. I will be making a doctors appointment to see if he can help.

Comment from: 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 15

For thrush try Betaine HCL low stomach acid might be the problem and HCL will clear it almost immediately. Adults take one 648 mg capsule with a meal that contains protein (meat, eggs, and fish).

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 08

I'm 47 and recently went on double antibiotics to treat an infection in my colon. This caused me to get both a yeast infection and thrush in my mouth. I treated the yeast infection and seem to be fine that way, but I stopped taking the Nystatin (oral swish and swallow … my doctor is having me swallow it). Now, three weeks later my tongue and mouth hurt again. I'm taking the medicine and will finish it because I don't want to get it again.

Comment from: 65-74 Female Published: August 08

My sister was put on Cipro for a sinus infection. A couple of days later, her tongue started burning, and she had white spots on it. She went back to the doctor, and the doctor told her she had thrush of the mouth and put her on a mouth wash. Apparently she is still having problems with the burning sensation.

Subscribe to MedicineNet's General Health Newsletter