Patient Comments: Thrush - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with thrush? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: desert flower, Published: May 13

Before retiring I was a college professor. I have suffered from IBS-D (irritable bowel syndrome with diarrhea) over 20 years. The foods that trigger my IBS (beginning with the first ones and evolving) have been as follows: caffeinated coffee, bacon, bran, oats, many fruits, chocolate and most nuts. Magnesium has also contributed. Other fiber foods are also problematic. For 19 years, to control the diarrhea, I started with one Imodium and progressed to 13 per day. This drug is no longer helpful. Recently I have tried two of the new drugs but the side effects are difficult to deal with. One makes me tired; the other causes confusion. Neither creates normal stools. I'm currently taking Viberzi (costs taxpayer's USD 60.00 per day).

Comment from: Merv, 55-64 Female Published: May 11

I had a bone marrow biopsy taken from the hip, two days ago, and diagnosed with Erdheim Chester disease. I always thought I had a high tolerance to pain. But I found this procedure was extremely painful.

Comment from: rich, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: February 22

I had surgery on my finger in January and a week later I got a bad sore throat. I went to the doctor and she gave me 500 mg dose of amoxicillin three times a day for seven days. After taking all of the antibiotic I noticed my tongue had a whitish look and on the inside of my right cheek was a patch that looked like cottage cheese. I went back to the doctor and she gave me a prescription for nystatin. I've been on it for ten days now and my thrush is getting no better. I have to ask someone if this thrush could be caused by my surgery on my finger, the antibiotics or both.

Comment from: Hyacinth12, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: January 26

I broke my elbow on December 11th after a steep fall onto rough pavement. Because some of the elbow was crushed, my arm required surgery to replace part of the elbow with a metal device. Although surgery was on December 17 and I am working every day performing exercises to strengthen my elbow as well as going to physical therapy twice weekly, I still am in a lot of pain. I am worried I am not doing things right.

Comment from: redlight, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 03

My tongue and the roof of my mouth are raw because of thrush.

Comment from: SteveB, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: September 14

On Friday I woke up with a scratchy throat, like the beginning of a cold. On Monday the sore throat remained but no cold. On day 5, Tuesday, my tongue felt like I had burned it on a hot drink. On day 7 my tongue still burned, but my throat was a bit better but still not normal. The back of my tongue was coated with a white layer. Urgent Care diagnosed my problem as a yeast infection and prescribed nystatin. I did finish a 10 day course of the antibiotic tetracycline just before the symptoms began. Fourteen days from now I will finish the nystatin. I hope it works.

Comment from: Rob, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: April 11

I had a sudden and severe sore throat one day such that it was hard to swallow or eat. It lessened in pain, but stayed sore three weeks, so I saw a doctor. He noted I"d been on antibiotics for a stomach infection and said that probably weakened my immunity to thrush. My tongue has been pretty coated lately too. I"m taking fluconazole 150 mg daily for 7 days. Doctor said that would take care of it. We shall see. Funniest thing about it: on the prescription, my gender was female. Fluconazole is used for yeast infections in women, but also for thrush. I didn"t know anyone could get that. Anyway, I'm hoping for the best. Good luck for a speedy recovery to the rest of you.

Comment from: msni, Female (Caregiver) Published: March 13

I have had a coated tongue and very bad breath for years because of thrush. I have post nasal drip and severe allergic reactions to just about anything and everything. I take probiotics and vitamins daily. I also eat yogurt and drink kefir daily. But I still seem to have the same symptoms.

Comment from: fmlthrushsucks, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

I woke up one day thinking it was a sore throat and it progressed to turning my tongue white then my mouth and now there are sores on the roof of my mouth that are painful. I have never had this before and am trying home remedies hopefully it clears up soon.

Comment from: Carol, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

I'm 60 and for a month now I have a burning, sore tongue. I went to the doctor and he told me it was thrush. He prescribed medication and a salve to spread on my tongue at night. It was working well and the minute I'm off the meds, I have the burning tongue.

Comment from: dawnaart, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 21

I'm a 65 year old female who finished radiation the end of March after having chemo for non-hodkins Lymphoma. After last radiation appt. My doctor asked to look in my mouth. It was crazy. I have dry mouth from everything and now I have a green/black tongue. I've been on Ketoconazole twice and Nystatin 3 times. It's now middle of May and I feel like the fungus is in my throat and esophagus. Talked to pharmacist today and she said it takes a long time to get rid of it. Even though my cancer was behind my right ear lobe and under chin. I have fungus under big toe nails also. It's creepy and devastating. I'm losing weight as eating is awful, either food taste like tin (metallic) or food feels like it sticks in esophagus. Got through Chemo and Radiation with flying colors, so why this. Looking for a cure also.

Comment from: Krystal W, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 07

I have had thrush for 2 years now (continuous). Doctor has given me every antifungal med known and nothing. I have seen my dentist no luck. Seen ear nose and throat doc and infectious disease doc and no luck. Ran all kinds of blood test nothing shows up that would weaken my immune system. I have taken the strongest probiotics I could find and nothing. Doc did a culture and yes it was yeast. I am at my ropes end. Let me say this it is on my tongue (thick white coating) looks like it goes part way down my throat and it feels like I have food stuck in my throat all the time. Tongue burns nonstop and it looks gross. If anyone can help please do.

Comment from: 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 16

I am 26 years old and have had thrush mouth several times over the last few years. The worst it ever got was a few months ago and it seemed to last for weeks. My doc prescribed me nystatin and magic mouthwash for the pain. I just got put on a strong antibiotic and it's back again but this time it feels like it's in my throat and chest also. My tongue really burns and it feels hard to breathe almost like really bad heartburn i keep swishing with the nystatin but it doesn't want to go away. I will be seeing the doc again soon if the symptoms don't get better.

Comment from: Bleck, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: July 14

I'm a 17 year old female and I experienced a real scare a couple nights ago when I found bumps on my tongue and white gunk all over it. I'm sexually active and I was scared it might have been an STD. After long hours of researching I came to find out it was Thrush. Here I was thinking only babies got Thrush. I found out it can occur at any age. I go to the doctor tomorrow to get medicine and treated. It's nothing to freak out about just make sure you go to the doctor so it will not spread to other areas.

Comment from: 25-34 Female (Caregiver) Published: May 28

I have had thrush for nine years now (continuous). The doctor has given me every antifungal med known and nothing has worked. I have seen my dentist, with no luck. I've had all kinds of blood tests, yet nothing shows up that would weaken my immune system. The doctor did a culture, which indicated it was yeast. Let me say this it is on my tongue (thick white coating), and looks like it goes part way down my throat. My tongue burns nonstop and it looks gross. I suspect it is what caused a miscarriage. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Comment from: gail, 13-18 Female (Caregiver) Published: September 26

I have a teenager on Accutane and he has developed thrush. I have been watching for the dryness to begin knowing the side effects, I wish someone would have warned me that the dryness would start on the inside. I finally got him the help he needed, we both thought his mouth was sore from wisdom teeth, but he dried up so fast he developed thrush.

Comment from: Cindy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 18

This is the second time I have had Thrush. It started with a small sore spot around a tooth which I thought that I just brushed too hard. During the night it spread to the top of my mouth and along the side of my tongue. The first time this happened, I was traveling and it was impossible to see a Doctor, so I went to a local Herbal medicine shop and looked up a treatment. They suggested rinsing your mouth out with Soda Water! Since this was easy and the least expensive route...I tried it. The pain and soreness went away almost immediately! Soda water doesn't taste very good, BUT it's better than taking another antibiotic! The symptoms go away after rinsing every couple of hours for a day or two. How easy is that!

Comment from: dls57, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 05

My thrush began 18 months ago. After a few weeks it seemed to stop. Almost immediately lesions and bleeding started. My mouth was so sore I gave up all fruit and some vegetables. I was down to cream of wheat for a long time. My specialist did a biopsy to rule out cancer. He doesn't understand why it won't heal, as usually it is a few weeks. It is not as bad as it was, but for the last week I have had extremely red and burning skin around my lips. It is quite painful not like chapped lips, but I'm afraid it is spreading.

Comment from: 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 05

I experienced what I thought as chapped lips which then went to the sides of my mouth. Nothing helped. The dryness started to cover both sides of my mouth, very red, like chapped lips. I saw my doctor for something else and asked him. He said it was from a yeast infection. He prescribed an ointment which made it worse. He has now prescribed an oral medication.

Comment from: wheezy, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 08

My thrush went to my lungs and caused a lot of slimy mucus. I coughed and wheezed. Nothing helped until the doctors put me on a medication called "nizoral" for 30 days. The test to find this is a small piece of tissue has to be removed and tested. I went through 8 months of hell before the proper diagnosis was found.

Comment from: Seagull, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: May 24

In the morning I have only one line coating in back of my mouth. Sometimes it's there sometimes it's not. Only occurs in the same place.

Comment from: pdwheel1, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 18

Light pain and irritation on my tongue. Felt like fruit or something was stuck to it and I tried to wipe it off before I finally looked at my tongue. Roof of my mouth is also irritated. Thought I had canker sore.

Comment from: Ashes, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: May 02

The thrush symptoms started with a scalded tongue feeling even though I had not burnt my tongue, lasted over a week, than a sore in corner of mouth and sores on sides. I am a 24 year old female.

Comment from: Ms. C in Cali, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 04

Awoke with a scratchy throat. Starting having problems with swallowing, just thought it was a simple sore throat from sinus drainage in my sleep. Discovered it was my tongue that had sore spots at back while brushing teeth & scraping tongue. I have been on two different antibiotics for almost 14 days to treat a stomach infection. Contacted primary doctor and was diagnosed with thrush as a result of the medicine. 2nd day on Nystatin. This is painful to swallow and my neck and ears hurt. Taking tylenol for the pain. Hope this goes away soon.

Comment from: Minnie, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 04

I am a middle age woman who has systemic lupus and sjogrens disease. Having upper respiratory infection, an antibiotic was prescribed and the rheumatologist said it would probably cause a yeast infection. I had a bad yeast infection that he prescribed for the previous visit. I took Fluconazole 100mg both times. After the respiratory infection subsided, I was diagnosed with a bladder infection by an ER physician who prescribed another antibiotic. I also have a yeast infection and am on Fluconazole.

Comment from: Frederique, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 01

I just had a lung surgery, and developed a thrush, best treatment ever, half of peroxide (3%) and half of warm water used as a mouthwash for 1-2 mins, spit it, rinse with water. I did that twice the first day and already the day after half of the thrush is gone, when I was at the hospital they gave me antifungal medication for 2 days, trust me it's useless it didn't work, I believe in the old school remedy.

Comment from: minnyme1980, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 08

My thrush started with a very sore throat. I just thought, "It's that time of year, you're bound to get a cold," but the soreness spread to my tongue and I found it very difficult to eat or drink as my entire mouth felt swollen. I noticed that I was producing more saliva than normal so I did not wait any longer. I went to my GP who diagnosed me with a servere throat infection and explained that because I had this infection, the thrush had also developed. I was prescribed nystantin which I am still taking now. So far, so good, on top of phenoxymethyl penicillin for my throat.

Comment from: Dr.Dementia, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 03

White crop circles on tongue and sides of mouth. Pain swallowing. Felt like throat was obstructed (swollen lymph nodes.)Neck ached. Wanted a home remedy, but doctor prescribed diflucan. Feels improved after one day. I use steroid inhalers rarely, (asthma) but I have an autoimmune illness. This is about the fifth time I have had thrush. Almost seems like an autoimmune reaction to a severe allergic episode experienced just prior to thrush.

Subscribe to MedicineNet's General Health Newsletter