What are the ten best diet plans?
- Weight loss is directly related to the difference between the individual’s energy intake and energy expenditure.
- Reducing caloric intake below expenditure should help in weight loss.
Different diets may help one to lose weight and improve overall health. However, the top 10 best diet plans certified by physicians are as follows:
This refers to the dietary pattern followed by the olive-growing regions of the Mediterranean. The Mediterranean diet mainly consists of foods rich in monounsaturated fats; moderate consumption of alcohol, especially wine; high consumptions of fruits and vegetables; moderate consumption of milk and dairy products; and low consumption of meat and meat products.
- It is associated with several health benefits such as a reduction in the risk of cardiovascular disease and diabetes.
DASH refers to dietary approaches to stop hypertension. It comprises four to five servings of fruit, four to five servings of vegetables, and two to three servings of low-fat dairy per day. It specifically advocates a low intake of sodium in the diet. So no salt use at the dinner table, no pickles, chips, sauces with added salt.
- DASH diet along with physical exercise for 25 minutes may result in a weight loss of an average of 5.8 kg.
It is characterized by alternate-day fasting and time-restricted feed.
- Fasting for a restricted time every day may help in weight loss.
Reduction in the daily intake of fat less than 30 percent of energy intake helps in weight loss.
- A low-fat dietary pattern with healthy carbohydrates may prevent weight gain.
- Increased intake of vegetables or fruits can also aid in weight loss.
High-carbohydrate diets have been associated with weight gain. Hence, a low-carbohydrates diet along with a food rich in unsaturated fat and protein can decrease the risk of heart disease, diabetes mellitus, and some cancers. Low-carbohydrate diets are probably useful in short-term weight loss. In this diet the foods included are:
- non-starchy vegetables
- full-fat dairy
- natural fats (like avocado, butter, and coconut oil/cream)
- fruit is usually limited.
High-protein diets are more filling and help stimulate the production of body heat. Most women need at least 50 grams of protein per day, while most men need about 60 grams. These diets often require consuming extra protein from beans, nuts, grains, seafood, cheese, or soy. A high-protein diet appears to boost metabolic rate and is associated with a greater feeling of fullness and reduced hunger, compared with a low-protein diet. When followed for a shorter period, a high-protein diet is generally safe. However, following these diets for the long-term may cause the following:
The vegetarian diet mainly consists of cereals, fruits, vegetables, legumes, and nuts. There are different types of vegetarianism depending on the foods consumed. These include:
- Semi-vegetarian: Chicken meat or fish may be included in this diet, but red meat would be completely excluded.
- Lacto-ovovegetarian: Eggs, milk, and milk products are included, but meat is avoided
- Lactovegetarian: Milk and milk products are consumed, but, meat and eggs are avoided.
- Vegan: All animal products, including eggs, milk, and milk products, are avoided from the diet. Honey may also be excluded. Some may also avoid processed food or foods that are not organically grown.
Increased cholesterol is linked to an increased risk of heart disease.
- Daily cholesterol consumption should be limited to 300 mg or less.
Fibers are satiating and indirectly help with weight loss. High fiber foods include:
- Wheat bread
To control the temptation of overeating, serve the food on an individual plate, instead of placing the serving dishes on the table. This may discourage the person from overeating.
- In short, take control of the amount of food taken daily.
Health Solutions From Our Sponsors
Top The 10 Best Diet Plans Related Articles
What Are the Benefits of Eating Cantaloupe? 10 BenefitsCantaloupe is a delicious summer fruit. It supplies many health benefits including improved vision, better electrolyte levels, diabetes and blood pressure management, improved immunity, skin nourishment and other benefits.
Nutrition QuizEven if you think you're getting enough fruits and vegetables per day, how can you be sure? Take the Diet & Nutrition Quiz to learn more about eating right.
Stress-Reducing FoodsWhile there are many ways to cope with stress, one strategy is to eat stress-fighting foods. Find out which foods to eat as part of a stress management diet.
Best Diet Tips SlideshowLearn to lose weight in a realistic way that works. Find healthy weight loss by eating right, sleeping more, understanding portion sizes. Learn how to set reasonable diet standards.
Gluten-Free DietStarting a gluten free diet? Get the facts about gluten free foods -- with tips on what to avoid, what to enjoy, and delicious, gluten-free alternatives to keep you healthy and happy.
High Protein DietLow-carb, high-protein diets are quite popular. High protein diets let you snack on protein-rich foods you love, but what are the downsides? Our experts explore the high protein diet dos and don'ts.
Is Nutritional Yeast Good for You?If you are a vegetarian, nutritional yeast is a good source of vitamin B12 and complete protein. Even nonvegetarians can eat or make use of this yeast in their food as a health supplement. Nutritional yeast is a low-salt, low-fat food product with a high concentration of proteins and vitamins (vitamin B12, folic acid and biotin).
Side Effects of Nutritional YeastNutritional yeast is deactivated yeast, meaning the yeast cells are killed while being processed and the inactive yeast is the final product. Nutritional yeast may cause digestive problems, migraines and facial flushing.
Sugar QuizSugar lurks in surprising places. Take the Sugar Quiz to learn of the many ways sugar sneaks into your diet and see what you know about sugar and artificial sweeteners!
What Does Jackfruit Meat Taste Like?Typical jackfruit meat consists of the unripe jackfruit pod. It is tasteless and it has a fibrous texture. Jackfruit meat takes on the flavor of the spices that it is cooked with.
What Is Amaranth Good For?Amaranth is a plant with several benefits. The leaves and seeds of this plant are edible and provide various nutritional benefits. Both the seeds and leaves of the plant are gluten-free and rich in protein, fiber, minerals and other nutrients.