Drugs commonly abused by teens include tobacco products, marijuana, cold medications, inhalants, depressants, stimulants, narcotics, hallucinogens, PCP, ketamine, Ecstasy, and anabolic steroids. Some of the symptoms and warning signs of teen drug abuse include reddened whites of eyes, paranoia, sleepiness, excessive happiness, seizures, memory loss, increased appetite, discolored fingertips, lips or teeth, and irritability. Treatment of drug addiction may involve a combination of medication, individual, and familial interventions. Read more: Teen Drug Abuse Article
Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
Prescription Drug Abuse: Know The Warning Signs
Learn about prescription drug abuse facts and statistics about the dangers and misconceptions of abusing common prescription...
Addicted to Pills: The Health Risks of Drug Abuse
What is drug abuse? Learn about prescription drug abuse and over-the-counter (OTC) drugs, including depressants, pain relievers,...
Teen Drug Abuse: Warning Signs, Statistics, and Facts
Teen drug abuse is a growing concern today. Learn statistics, facts, warning signs, and effects related to teen substance abuse...
Teen Drama: Handling Mean Girls, Cyber Bullying, and Sexting
Being a teenage girl comes with a variety of challenges. Here are tips on dealing with dating, sexting, cyber bullying, mean...
Understanding Medical Marijuana: Laws, Uses, Safety
What is medical marijuana (MMJ)? Learn about THC, CBD, and other cannabinoids, learn about marijuana scheduling, state laws for...
Related Disease Conditions
Anxiety is a feeling of apprehension and fear characterized by symptoms such as trouble concentrating, headaches, sleep problems,...
Cancer is a disease caused by an abnormal growth of cells, also called malignancy. It is a group of 100 different diseases, and...
Drug-Induced Liver Disease
Drug-induced liver diseases are diseases of the liver that are caused by: physician-prescribed medications, OTC...
Alcoholism is a disease that includes alcohol craving and continued drinking despite repeated alcohol-related problems, such as...
Stress occurs when forces from the outside world impinge on the individual. Stress is a normal part of life. However,...
Human Immunodeficiency Virus (HIV)
The human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) causes HIV infection and the acquired immunodeficiency syndrome (AIDS). Symptoms and signs...
Mental Illness in Children
About 5 million children and adolescents in the U.S. suffer from a serious mental illness such as eating disorders, anxiety...
Drug addiction is a chronic disease that causes drug-seeking behavior and drug use despite negative consequences to the user and...
Suicide is the process of intentionally ending one's own life. Approximately 1 million people worldwide commit suicide each year,...
Childhood ADD or ADHD (Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder in Children)
Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) causes the following symptoms in children: excessive activity, problems...
Depression in teenagers may be caused by many factors. Symptoms of teen depression include apathy, irresponsible behavior,...
Depression in Children
Childhood depression can interfere with social activities, interests, schoolwork and family life. Symptoms and signs include...
Approximately 40 million children suffer abuse every year around the world, and more than 1,500 children die of abuse in the U.S....
13 Tips for Parenting a Teen With ADHD
Parenting a teenager who has attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) can be challenging. Parents can use specific...
Nicotine is delivered to the brain through smoking, chewing, or sniffing tobacco. Nicotine is an addictive agent. Common names...
Alcohol and Teens
Alcohol is the most frequently used drug by American teenagers. Teens that drink are more likely to drive under the influence,...
Smoking (How to Quit Smoking)
Smoking is an addiction. More than 430,000 deaths occur each year in the U.S. from smoking related illnesses. Secondhand smoke or...
Compulsive gambling is a disorder that affects millions in the U.S. Symptoms and signs include a preoccupation with gambling,...
Get the latest marijuana statistics and information. Learn its effects and how this drug, also known as pot, affects the brain....
Anabolic steroids are synthetic substances that are related to testosterone and promote skeletal muscle growth and the...
Children's health is focused on the well-being of children from conception through adolescence. There are many aspects of...
Is Hepatitis C Contagious?
Hepatitis C or hep C causes acute and chronic liver disease. Hep C is a form of liver disease with symptoms like: fatigue,...
Mental health is an optimal way of thinking, relating to others, and feeling. All of the diagnosable mental disorders fall under...
Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) in Teens
Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) in teens is a disruption of neurocognitive functioning. Genetics contribute to...
Good parenting helps foster empathy, honesty, self-reliance, self-control, kindness, cooperation, and cheerfulness, says...
Hepatitis C Cure (Symptoms, Transmission, Treatments, and Cost)
Hepatitis is inflammation of the liver. There are a variety of toxins, diseases, illicit drugs, medications, bacterial and viral...
Seizure vs. Seizure Disorders (Differences and Similarities)
The differences between a seizure, epilepsy, and seizure disorders are confusing to many people. What makes it more confusing, is...
HIV vs. AIDS
Human immunodeficiency virus causes HIV infection. Acquired immunodeficiency syndrome (AIDS) is a condition that results after...
Teenagers recognize that they are developmentally between child and adult. Teen health prevention includes maintaining a healthy...
Teen Drug Abuse - Treatments
What was the treatment for your teen drug abuse?Post
Teen Drug Abuse - Prevention
How do you recommend preventing teen drug abuse?Post
Teen Drug Abuse - Drug Types
As a teenager, which drugs have you tried? What were the first drugs you used? Please share your experience.Post View 2 Comments
Teen Drug Abuse - Parental Prevention
As a parent, in what ways have you tried to prevent drug use in your children and teens?Post
Teen Drug Abuse - Signs and Symptoms
Discuss the signs and symptoms of drug abuse in you, a friend, or relative.Post
Teen Drug Abuse - Treatment
What kinds of treatment, therapy, and medication did you receive for your drug addiction?Post
Teen Drug Abuse - Help for Teens
Was there a counselor or group that helped you as a teen with issues of drug addiction or abuse?Post
Local ResourcesFind a local Psychiatrist in your town
Treatment & Diagnosis
- Shaking Hands (Hand Tremors)
- Dilated Pupils (Mydriasis)
- Difficulty Concentrating
- Difficulty With Speech
- Altered Mental Status
- Runny Nose
- Cold Fingers
- Memory Loss
- Vocal Outbursts
- Pinkeye (Conjunctivitis)
- Teenagers: Your Teenage Son's Health
- Substance Abuse: Dealing with Substance Abuse
- Addiction and the Family
- Drug Abuse Prevention: Putting a Halt to Huffing
- Drug Addicition: Meth
- Teens - Ask a Therapist: Talking to your Teen
- Addiction- Ask a Therapist: Facing Our Addictions
- Addiction: Do You Need Help? -- Drew Pinsky, MD
Medications & Supplements
- Benzodiazepines (Benzodiazepine Drug Class)
- codeine (for Pain)
- diphenhydramine, Benadryl
- montelukast, Singulair
- Oxycodone vs. Hydrocodone: Which Is Better for Pain?
- Percocet (oxycodone and acetaminophen, Roxicet, Tylox, Oxycet)
- Oxycodone: for Pain (OxyContin, Roxicodone, Oxecta)
- Over-the-Counter Products
- Anabolic Steroids (Oral Androgens)
- Prenatal Vitamins (Side Effects and Types)
- naloxone (Narcan, Evzio, Narcan Nasal Spray)
- methadone, Dolophine, Methadone HCl Intensol, Methadose, Methadose Sugar-Free
- Hypnotics (for Sleep)
- methadone (Dolophine; Methadone HCl Intensol; Methadose; Methadose Sugar-Free)
- methadone - injection, Dolophine
- chlorpheniramine, pseudoephedrine, Deconamine (Discontinued)
- Hydrocodone vs. Hydromorphone (Differences between Side Effects)
- methadone dispersible tablet - oral, Methadose
- methadone concentrate - oral, Methadose
Prevention & Wellness
- Heroin Taking Bigger Share of U.S. Opioid ODs
- Teens Mixed Up With the Law May Fall Through Medicaid Cracks
- CVS to Restrict Opioid Painkiller Prescription Amounts
- '12-Step' Strategy Boosts Success of Teen Drug Abuse Program
- Elite High Schools Breed Higher Risk of Addiction: Study
- Club Drug 'Poppers' May Pose Eye Dangers
- Fewer U.S. Kids Overdosing on Opioids
- Rising Number of Kids Ill From Drinking Hand Sanitizers: CDC
- U.S. Surgeon General Declares War on Addiction
- Alcohol, Drugs a Poor Halloween Mix
- Saturday, Oct. 22 Is Drug Take Back Day
- Opioid Painkiller May Be New Treatment for Heroin Addicts
- Anti-Addiction Drug May Help Curb Painkiller, Heroin Dependence
- Vivitrol Cuts Relapse Risk in Opioid Addicts
- Pennsylvania Study Shows Fatal Drug ODs Soaring
- Most Teens Who Abuse ADHD Meds Get Them From Others
- Painkillers Often Gateway to Heroin for U.S. Teens: Survey
- Florida 'Pill Mill' Crackdown May Have Curbed Painkiller ODs
- High School Seniors Now More Likely to Smoke Pot Than Cigarettes: Survey
- Others' Drug, Alcohol Use May Trigger Bad Behavior in Teens
- Almost 1 in 10 Americans Has Lifelong Drug Problem
- Fewer U.S. Teens Abusing Alcohol, Prescription Meds: Survey
- Summer Is High Time for College Kids Trying Illegal Substances
- Legalizing Medical Marijuana May Not Raise Pot Use by Teens: Study
- Misuse of ADHD-Type Drugs Starts Long Before College: Study
- Wider Use of Naloxone Could Cut Deaths From Drug Overdoses: CDC
- More U.S. Newborns Enduring Drug Withdrawal: Study
- Heroin Use Levels Off in U.S., But Still High: Report
- Synthetic Pot Linked to Kidney Injury
- U.S. Pediatricians Remain Opposed to Random Drug Tests in Schools
- Teens' Heavy Pot Smoking Tied to Memory Problems
- Breath Test for Illegal Drugs Instead of Urine Analysis?
- Health Tip: Help Teens Set Healthy Resolutions
- Mother's Depression Tied to Later Delinquency in Kids
- Prescription Painkillers Fueling Overdose Cases in ERs, Study Finds
- 'Social Host' Laws May Help Curb Underage Drinking, Study Says
- As Pot Use Rises, Teens' Grades May Fall: Study
- ER Visits Linked to Synthetic Pot More Than Double, Report Finds
- Most Who Abuse Painkillers Are Unprepared If Overdose Strikes: Study
- Deaths From Narcotic Painkillers Quadrupled in Past Decade: CDC
- Fewer U.S. Teens Using Illegal Drugs and Alcohol, Report Finds
- Dangerous Use of Growth Hormone Surges Among U.S. Teens
- Multiple Drug Use Fueling Drugged-Driving Fatalities: Report
- Today's Heroin Abusers Often Middle-Class Suburbanites: Study
- Substance Use at School Could Be Cry for Help
- U.S. Officials Target Escalating Drug Overdoses
- Teens' Energy Drink Habit May Be Linked to Booze, Tobacco, Drug Use
- OxyContin Tops List of Abused Prescription Drugs: Survey
- Doctors' Group Urges Tighter Controls on Prescription Painkillers
- Ecstasy Use on Rise Again Among U.S. Teens: Report
- Most Teens Who Misuse Painkillers Aren't After a High, Study Finds
- Even Non-Surgical Hospital Patients Often Get Powerful Narcotics: Study
- Bodybuilding Boys Often Try Drugs and Alcohol, Study Finds
- 'Krokodil' Drug FAQ
- Friends, Family Often the Suppliers in Underage Drinking, Smoking: Survey
- Friends' Online Photos May Sway Teens' Behavior
- Young Americans' Prescription Med Abuse Still Down: Report
- Hundreds of Thousands of Teens Use Pot, Alcohol Each Day: Report
- Hispanic Teens More Likely to Abuse Drugs: Survey
- Sharp Rise in Drug Overdoses Among U.S. Women: CDC
- Many Parents Unaware of Teens' Abuse of ADHD Drugs
- Parents Can Influence Teen Drug Use
- No Drop in Teens' Use of 'Smokeless' Tobacco
- Vaccine to Fight Heroin Addiction Shows Promise in Rats
- Pregnancy Adds Challenge for Teens Treated for Drug Abuse, Report Says
- Prescription Drug Abuse Up Among U.S. Teens: Survey
- Drug, Alcohol Abuse More Likely Among High School Dropouts
- 16 Cases of Kidney Damage in 6 States From Synthetic Pot: CDC
- Smoking Pot May Raise Stroke Risk in Young Adults
- Teen Marijuana Use Remains at All-Time High
- Heavy Drinking, Pot Use Tied to Teen Brain Changes
- Young Binge Eaters Prone to Illicit Drug Use: Study
- Teen Dating Violence Linked to Substance Abuse, Depression
- Fake Marijuana Use Is a Serious Problem for Teens
- Pot Psychosis May Be Gene-Related
- Cocaine Raises Heart Risks for Fit, Young Adults: Study
- Painkiller Abuse by Kids Way Up, Study Finds
- K2 Trend Not Slowing Down
- Teens Over 1/3 of New Prescription Drug Abusers
- Pot Use in Teen Years May Lower IQ, Study Shows
- Many Teens Drinking, Taking Drugs During School: Survey
- Teens Who Drink, Smoke More Likely to Abuse Painkillers Later: Study
- 'Diverted' Medical Marijuana Use Common Among Teens: Study
- Ecstasy Pills Cause Memory Problems
- Illegal 'Bath Salts' Mimic Cocaine in the Brain: Study
- More Mental Health Woes in College Kids Who Abuse Prescription Drugs
- Teens Safer Behind Wheel, but Too Many Texting
- Teens' Love of Loud Music Tied to Drinking, Drug Abuse
- Friends' Parents Can Sway Teens' Odds for Drinking, Smoking
- Kids Most Likely to Start Abusing Painkillers at 16: Study
- One Baby per Hour Born Drug Dependent
- Teen Impulsiveness Has Different Sources in ADHD, Substance Use
- Some Schools Don't Let Kids Carry Asthma Inhalers
- Health Highlights: April 25, 2012
- Many Who First Misuse Prescription Pills Get Them From Friends, Family: Report
- Heroin Addicts Have Higher Pain Sensitivity, Even During Treatment
- Half of Young Cigarette Smokers Also Smoke Pot: Survey
- Use of Ecstasy, Speed by Teens Tied to Later Depression
- Drug, Alcohol Abuse Common Among U.S. Teens, Study Finds
- Caring Teachers May Help Keep Kids From Trying Alcohol, Drugs
- Genes Play a Role in Drug Abuse Risk Among Adopted Kids: Study
- Overly Strict, Controlling Parents Risk Raising Delinquent Kids
- Health Highlights: Oct. 10, 2011
- Teen Binge Drinking Linked to Attention Problems
- Teen Pot Smoking Won't Lead to Other Drugs as Adults
- Bath Salts Drug Trend: Expert Q&A
- Salvia (Salvia Divinorum)
- Teens, Technology, And Drugs: An Inside Look
- Teens Using Prescription and Over-the-Counter Drugs to Get High
- Teens Sex Activity Tied to Drink & Drugs
- Drug Abuse and Addiction: Drugs of Choice
- Drug Abuse: How To Tell if Someone is Abusing Drugs
Subscribe to MedicineNet's Depression Newsletter