Depression is the experience of a sad, hopeless, or blue mood that is beyond the normal experience of sadness. Depression can occur in people of any age, including teens.
Signs and symptoms of teen depression can include irritability, annoyance, sadness, frustration, hopelessness, loss of interest, worthlessness, guilt, low self-esteem, agitation, and alcohol or drug use. The emotional changes can also be accompanied by associated symptoms like tiredness, insomnia, sleeping too much (hypersomnia), appetite changes, slowed thinking, isolation, poor grades, frequent school absences, poor hygiene, suicidal thoughts, difficulty concentrating, sensitivity to rejection, bleak outlook, self-harm, or angry outbursts.
Causes of teen depression
As with many psychological conditions, the cause of teen depression is due to a mixture of genetic factors and environmental influences.
Other teen depression symptoms and signs
- Alcohol or Drug Use
- Angry Outbursts
- Appetite Changes
- Difficulty Concentrating
- Frequent School Absences
- Loss of Interest
- Low Self-Esteem
- Poor Grades
- Poor Hygiene
- Sensitivity to Rejection
- Sleeping Too Much (Hypersomnia)
- Suicidal Thoughts
Main Article on Teen Depression Symptoms and Signs
Pictures, Images, Illustrations & Quizzes
Depression Myths: Overwork, Recklessness and More in Pictures
Folk remedies and half-truths still prevent many from getting treatment for depression. WebMD's pictures show unusual symptoms in...
Depression Quiz: Signs & Symptoms
Many people do not recognize the symptoms and warning signs of depression and depressive disorders in children and adults. With...
Learn to Spot Depression: Symptoms, Warning Signs, Medication
Know when you or someone else is depressed. Get information on depression symptoms, signs, tests, and treatments for many types...
Myths and Facts About Therapy
False ideas scare many depression suffers away from therapy and the quick relief and help these pros can provide. Let our experts...
Physical Symptoms of Depression in Pictures
Depression can cause physical problems such as insomnia, chest pain, fatigue, headaches, and more. Learn the signs of depression...
Examples of Medications for Teen Depression Symptoms and Signs
- Antidepressants (Depression Medications)
- divalproex sodium
- fluvoxamine (Luvox)
- Limbitrol (chlordiazepoxide amitriptyline ds)
- MAOIs (Monoamine Oxidase Inhibitors, MAOI)
- paroxetine (Paxil, Pexeva)
- Rexulti (brexpiprazole)
- Side Effects of Citalopram (Celexa)
- Side Effects of Etrafon (perphenazine/amitriptyline)
- Side Effects of Forfivo XL (bupropion hydrochloride)
- Side Effects of Lexapro (escitalopram)
- Side Effects of Pamelor (nortriptyline)
- Side Effects of Paxil (paroxetine)
- Side Effects of Zoloft (sertraline)
- tricyclic antidepressants-oral, injection
- vortioxetine (Trintellix - formerly known as Brintellix)
Health Solutions From Our Sponsors
Subscribe to MedicineNet's Depression Newsletter