Signs and symptoms of teen depression can include irritability, annoyance, sadness, frustration, hopelessness, loss of interest, worthlessness, guilt, low self-esteem, agitation, and alcohol or drug use. The emotional changes can also be accompanied by associated symptoms like tiredness, insomnia, sleeping too much (hypersomnia), appetite changes, slowed thinking, isolation, poor grades, frequent school absences, poor hygiene, suicidal thoughts, difficulty concentrating, sensitivity to rejection, bleak outlook, self-harm, or angry outbursts.
Causes of teen depression
As with many psychological conditions, the cause of teen depression is due to a mixture of genetic factors and environmental influences.
Other teen depression symptoms and signs
- Alcohol or Drug Use
- Angry Outbursts
- Appetite Changes
- Difficulty Concentrating
- Frequent School Absences
- Loss of Interest
- Low Self-Esteem
- Poor Grades
- Poor Hygiene
- Sensitivity to Rejection
- Sleeping Too Much (Hypersomnia)
- Suicidal Thoughts
Main Article on Teen Depression Symptoms and Signs
Pictures, Images, Illustrations & Quizzes
Depression Myths: Overwork, Recklessness and More in Pictures
Folk remedies and half-truths still prevent many from getting treatment for depression. WebMD's pictures show unusual symptoms in...
Depression Quiz: Signs & Symptoms
Many people do not recognize the symptoms and warning signs of depression and depressive disorders in children and adults. With...
Depression Therapy: Myths, Facts, and More in Pictures
False ideas scare many depression suffers away from therapy and the quick relief and help these pros can provide. Let our experts...
Learn to Spot Depression: Symptoms, Warning Signs, Medication
What is depression? Get information on symptoms, signs, tests, and treatments for many types of depression including major...
Physical Symptoms of Depression in Pictures
Depression can cause physical problems such as insomnia, chest pain, fatigue, headaches, and more. Learn the signs of depression...
Examples of Medications for Teen Depression Symptoms and Signs
- Alprazolam (Xanax) vs. Temazepam (Restoril)
- Antidepressants (Depression Medications)
- Citalopram (Celexa)
- fluoxetine (Prozac, Sarafem, Prozac Weekly)
- fluvoxamine (Luvox)
- Lexapro (escitalopram)
- Lexapro (escitalopram) Side Effects, Warnings, and Interactions
- Limbitrol (chlordiazepoxide amitriptyline ds)
- MAOIs (Monoamine Oxidase Inhibitors, MAOI)
- paroxetine (Paxil, Pexeva)
- Side Effects of Citalopram (Celexa)
- Side Effects of Etrafon (perphenazine/amitriptyline)
- Side Effects of Pamelor (nortriptyline)
- Side Effects of Paxil (paroxetine)
- tricyclic antidepressants-oral, injection
- vortioxetine (Trintellix - formerly known as Brintellix)
- Zoloft (sertraline)
- Zoloft (sertraline) Side Effects, Warnings, and Interactions