Depression in teenagers may be caused by many factors. Symptoms of teen depression include apathy, irresponsible behavior, sadness, sudden drop in grades, withdrawal from friends, and alcohol and drug use. Treatment of depression in adolescents may involve psychotherapy and medications. Read more: Teen Depression Article
Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
Learn to Spot Depression: Symptoms, Warning Signs, Medication
What is depression? Get information on symptoms, signs, tests, and treatments for many types of depression including major...
Depression Quiz: Signs & Symptoms
Many people do not recognize the symptoms and warning signs of depression and depressive disorders in children and adults. With...
Depression Tips: Exercise, Diet, Stress Reduction, and More in Pictures
The right exercise, diet, and activities -- even playing with a pet --can help you recover from depression. Learn simple...
Physical Symptoms of Depression in Pictures
Depression can cause physical problems such as insomnia, chest pain, fatigue, headaches, and more. Learn the signs of depression...
Depression Myths: Overwork, Recklessness and More in Pictures
Explore the myths and facts about depression. See how folk remedies and half-truths still prevent many from getting treatment for...
Healthy Aging: Sneaky Depression Triggers in Pictures
There are many causes and triggers of depression. From too little vitamin B12 to too much time alone, look at these surprising...
Teen Drama: Handling Mean Girls, Cyber Bullying, and Sexting
Being a teenage girl comes with a variety of challenges. Here are tips on dealing with dating, sexting, cyber bullying, mean...
Depression Therapy: Myths, Facts, and More in Pictures
False ideas scare many depression suffers away from therapy and the quick relief and help these pros can provide. Let our experts...
Related Disease Conditions
Multiple Sclerosis Symptoms (Early, Body Areas Affected)
Multiple sclerosis (MS) symptoms vary from person to person, and can last for days to months without periods of remission....
Anxiety is a feeling of apprehension and fear characterized by symptoms such as trouble concentrating, headaches, sleep problems,...
Stress occurs when forces from the outside world impinge on the individual. Stress is a normal part of life. However,...
Mental illness is any disease or condition affecting the brain that influence the way a person thinks, feels, behaves, and/or...
Depression is an illness that involves the body, mood, and thoughts and affects the way a person eats and sleeps, the way one...
Cyclic Vomiting Syndrome (CVS)
Cyclic vomiting syndrome is a condition in which affected individuals have severe nausea and vomiting that come in cycles....
Symptoms of 12 Serious Diseases and Health Problems
Learn how to recognize serious diseases and health problems like strokes, heart attacks, cancers, reproductive problems in...
Teen Drug Abuse
Drugs commonly abused by teens include tobacco products, marijuana, cold medications, inhalants, depressants, stimulants,...
Suicide is the process of intentionally ending one's own life. Approximately 1 million people worldwide commit suicide each year,...
Depression in Children
Childhood depression can interfere with social activities, interests, schoolwork and family life. Symptoms and signs include...
Fast-food consumption and lack of exercise are just a couple of causes of childhood obesity. Health effects of childhood obesity...
Bullying is repeated physical or verbal aggression that involves an imbalance of power. Types of bullying include physical,...
Alcohol and Teens
Alcohol is the most frequently used drug by American teenagers. Teens that drink are more likely to drive under the influence,...
Get the latest marijuana statistics and information. Learn its effects and how this drug, also known as pot, affects the brain....
Insomnia Treatment (Sleep Aids and Stimulants)
Insomnia is difficulty in falling or staying asleep, the absence of restful sleep, or poor quality of sleep. Insomnia is a...
Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) in Teens
Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) in teens is a disruption of neurocognitive functioning. Genetics contribute to...
Good parenting helps foster empathy, honesty, self-reliance, self-control, kindness, cooperation, and cheerfulness, says...
Teenagers recognize that they are developmentally between child and adult. Teen health prevention includes maintaining a healthy...
Local ResourcesFind a local Psychiatrist in your town
Treatment & Diagnosis
Medications & Supplements
- Lexapro (escitalopram)
- trazodone, Desyrel (discontinued brand)
- Ativan (lorazepam)
- Antidepressants (Depression Medications)
- MAOIs (Monoamine Oxidase Inhibitors, MAOI)
- aripiprazole (Abilify, Abilify Maintena, Aristrada)
- venlafaxine, Effexor XR (Effexor has been discontinued in the US)
- duloxetine, Cymbalta
- fluvoxamine (Luvox and Luvox CR have been discontinued)
- nortriptyline, Pamelor, Aventyl - has been discontinued in the U.S.
- desvenlafaxine (Pristiq, Khedezla)
- desipramine, Norpramin
- lithium, Lithobid
- St. John's Wort (Hypericum perforatum)
- clomipramine (Anafranil)
- bupropion hydrochloride extended release (Forfivo XL)
- nefazodone, Serzone
- Stimulants (ADHD)
- vortioxetine (Trintellix - formerly known as Brintellix)
- perphenazine and amitriptyline hydrochloride (Etrafon - brand no longer available in the US)
- Anxiolytics (for Anxiety) Drug Class Side Effects
- Buspar vs. Zoloft (Differences between Side Effects and Uses)
Prevention & Wellness
- Cyberbullying Weighs Heavily on Young People
- U.S. Teen Suicide Rates Continue to Rise
- Teen Suicide Thoughts, Self-Harm Cases Double in a Decade
- Depression's Gender Gap Shows Up in Pre-Teen Years
- Early School Start Times Tough on Teens
- The Highs and Lows of Teens' Instagram Use
- Depression on the Rise Among U.S. Teens, Especially Girls
- Depression Strikes Nearly 3 Million U.S. Teens a Year
- Talk Therapy May Help Depressed Teens Who Shun Antidepressants
- Homeless Youth More Likely to Visit Drop-In Center Than Shelter
- Early Puberty Linked to Increased Risk of Depression in Teens
- Teen Conflicts Spill Over to Other Areas of Their Lives
- Exercise May Not Ward Off Teen Depression
- Study: Young Adults Who Had Depression Have 'Hyper-Connected' Brain Networks
- Substance Use at School Could Be Cry for Help
- Pfizer Recalls Some Antidepressants After Drug Mixup
- Pfizer Recalls Effexor Antidepressant
- Risk of Depression May Rise With Too Much or Too Little Sleep
- Childhood Events Tied to Slow Recovery From Depression Later
- Primary Care Providers May Balk at Giving Teens Antidepressants
- Exercise May Help Ease Depression in Teens: Study
- Anti-Gay Bullying Tied to Teen Depression, Suicide
- 'Cyberbullying' as Harmful as Physical Threats, Study Finds
- Many Young Americans Plan to Own a Gun, Survey Finds
- Teen Dating Violence Linked to Substance Abuse, Depression
- Cyberbullying Rarely Single Factor in Teen Suicides: Study
- ADHD May Raise Girls' Risk for Suicide as Young Adults
- Depression Rates Rise for Girls During Teen Years
- Booze, Energy Drinks, Casual Sex Combo Common in College: Study
- Depressed Teens Who Respond to Treatment Less Likely to Abuse Drugs
- Attitude May Be Key to Overweight Girls' Risk of Depression
- Video Game May Help Treat Teen Depression
- Blood Test for Teen Depression Under Study
- Addictive Internet Use Tied to Depression in Teens
- Earlier Bedtimes May Fight Teen Depression
Subscribe to MedicineNet's Depression Newsletter