Tai chi is an ancient Chinese martial art that was designed for self-defense and to promote inner peace. Tai chi has been shown to improve balance, strength, endurance, aerobic capacity, and self-confidence and prevent falls in seniors. It has also been found that it reduces stress. Read more: Tai Chi Article
Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
Rheumatoid Arthritis (RA) Exercises Slideshow: Joint-Friendly Fitness Routines
Regular exercise boosts fitness and helps reverse joint stiffness for people with rheumatoid arthritis (RA). Our experts offer...
Exercise Tips for Seniors
Exercise for seniors is important for healthy and successful aging. Learn what happens to our bodies as we age, how to start...
25 Ways to Relieve Menstrual Cramps
Menstrual cramps happen when prostaglandins force the uterus to contract. Dysmenorrhea, or period pain, may be relieved by...
What Does It Mean When Your Whole Body Aches?
Body aches and pains can be disruptive and frustrating. Learn many chronic pain causes, including lupus, arthritis, fibromyalgia,...
Related Disease Conditions
Migraine headache is a type of headache associated with a sensitivity to light, smells, or sounds, eye pain, severe pounding on...
Parkinson's disease is a slowly progressive neurological disease characterized by a fixed inexpressive face, a tremor at rest,...
Premenstrual Syndrome (PMS)
Premenstrual syndrome (PMS) is a combination of physical and emotional disturbances that occur after a woman ovulates and ends...
Rheumatoid Arthritis (RA)
Rheumatoid arthritis (RA) is an autoimmune disease that causes chronic inflammation of the joints, the tissue around the joints,...
12 Congestive Heart Failure Symptoms, Stages, Causes, and Life Expectancy
Congestive heart failure (CHF) refers to a condition in which the heart loses the ability to function properly. Heart disease,...
Staph Infection (Staphylococcus Aureus)
Staphylococcus or staph is a group of bacteria that can cause a multitude of diseases. Staph infections can cause illness...
Heart Attack Prevention
Heart disease and heart attacks can be prevented by leading a healthy lifestyle with diet, exercise, and stress management....
Menstrual Cramps and Premenstrual Syndrome (PMS) Medication Guide
Menstrual cramps and premenstrual syndrome (PMS) symptoms include abdominal cramping, bloating, a feeling of fullness, abdominal...
Colon Cancer Prevention
Colorectal cancer is both curable and preventable if it is detected early and completely removed before the cancerous cells...
Insulin resistance is the diminished ability of cells to respond to the action of insulin in transporting glucose (sugar) from...
Alternative Treatment for MS (CAM for MS)
The term alternative therapy, in general, is used to describe any medical treatment or intervention that has not been...
Type 2 Diabetes
Type 2 diabetes is a condition in which a person's pancreas does not produce enough insulin to meet the needs of the body....
Vitamins & Exercise: Heart Attack Prevention Series
Vitamins and exercise can lower your risk for heart attack and heart disease. Folic acid, vitamins, and homocysteine levels are...
The main features of metabolic syndrome include insulin resistance, hypertension (high blood pressure), cholesterol...
Stress Management Techniques
Stress may be considered as any physical, chemical, or emotional factor that causes bodily or mental unrest and that may be a...
Pregnancy Changes and Body Discomforts
Pregnancy can bring challenges like weight gain, stretch marks, varicose veins, heartburn, constipation,...
Heart Attacks in Women
Heart disease, particularly coronary artery disease is the leading cause of heart attacks. Women are more likely to die from a...
Diabetes Diet for Type 2 Diabetes, List of Foods
A type 2 diabetes diet or a type 2 diabetic diet is important for blood sugar (glucose) control in people with diabetes to...
Headache Natural Home Remedies
Headaches are a common complaint for many people. There are many types of headaches such as migraine, tension, cluster, and the...
Heart Attack Prevention Overview
Heart attacks are the major causes of unexpected, sudden death among men and women. A heart attack also is a significant cause...
Prediabetes is a situation where a person's blood sugar levels are higher than they should be, but aren't high enough to be...
IBS-D (Irritable Bowel Syndrome with Diarrhea)
IBS-D or irritable bowel syndrome with diarrhea refers to IBS with diarrhea. Symptoms of IBS-D include intestinal gas...
HDL vs. LDL Cholesterol (Differences, Normal Ranges, Meanings)
HDL (high-density lipoprotein), or the "good" cholesterol, and LDL (low-density lipoprotein), or the "bad"...
IBS vs. IBD: Differences and Similarities
IBS (irritable bowel syndrome) and IBD (inflammatory bowel disease) are both problems with the digestive tract...
Migraines and Seizures (Symptoms, Auras, Medication)
Migraines are a type of headache and seizures are the main symptom of epilepsy. Migraine headaches and seizures are two...
Normal Blood Sugar Levels (Ranges) In Adults with Diabetes
People with diabetes can manage and prevent low or high blood sugar levels (hyperglycemia or hypoglycemia) by keeping a log of...
Treatment & Diagnosis
- Fitness: Summer Fitness for Your Family
- Stress: Chronic Stress and the Mental Connection
- Stress: Chronic Stress and the Body Connection
- Stress: Take Charge of Your Stress
- Stress-Free Stress Management
- Stress: Focus on the New Relaxed You
- Exercise: How to Get Going
- Fitness: Designing an Aerobic Workout
- Stress: Getting Out From Under Stress
- Exercise: Get Going and Keep Going -- Meg Jordan, PhD, RN. -- 01/21/03
- Exercise Momentum Keeping It Going
- Exercising for a Healthier Heart -- Kenneth Cooper, MD -- 02/19/03
- Fitness Training Choices -- Cedric X. Bryant, PhD
Medications & Supplements
Prevention & Wellness
- Tailoring Exercise to Your Age
- Fun Moves for Better Agility
- Seniors, Take Steps to Reduce Your Risk of Falling
- For Pain Relief, Why Not Try Drug-Free Alternatives
- 'Fitcations' Are a Great Way to Shape Up
- An Ancient Art May Work Best to Prevent Falls in Old Age
- COPD Patients May Breathe Easier With Tai Chi
- Tai Chi Beats Aerobics for Fibromyalgia Pain
- Get In Step With Tai Chi
- Tai Chi: A Gentler Way to Exercise for Ailing Hearts
- Health Tip: Tai Chi May Help Prevent Falls
- When It Comes to Exercise, Quality Trumps Quantity
- Exercise May Stem Kidney Damage in Lupus Patients
- Lifestyle Tips for Better Diabetes Control
- Why Yoga, Tai Chi and Meditation Are Good for You
- Could Tai Chi Ease Insomnia in Breast Cancer Survivors?
- Exercise a Great Prescription to Help Older Hearts
- Exercise Helps Counter Cancer-Linked Fatigue
- Try Drug-Free Options First for Low Back Pain, New Guidelines Say
- Exercise Rates Often Decline After Cancer Diagnosis
- Turning to an Ancient Art to Help Ease PTSD in Veterans
- Health Tip: Ease Stress If You Have Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Falls a Growing and Deadly Threat for Older Americans
- Review Suggests Safe, Effective Ways to Relieve Pain Without Meds
- Mindfulness Meditation Seems to Soothe Breast Cancer Survivors
- Tai Chi: Rx for Arthritic Knees
- Health Tip: Get Stretching
- Health Tip: Find Time to Stretch
- Tai Chi Might Help People With Long-Term Health Conditions
- Yoga Gaining in Popularity Among Americans
- Health Tip: Relax Daily
- Yoga, Meditation May Help Dementia Patients and Caregivers Alike
- Exercise Could Help Disabled People, But Too Few Are Active: CDC
- Exercise Seems to Ease Parkinson's-Related Depression
- Health Tip: Practicing Tai Chi
- Balance Training Seems to Prevent Falls by Elderly
- Tai Chi Might Help Stroke Survivors Avoid Falls
- Physical Activity Boosts Brain Health
- Tai Chi Benefits People With COPD
- Yoga Improves Balance After Stroke
- Optimism, Laughter May Bring Long Life
- Exercise, Vitamin D Can Lower Fall Risk in Elderly
- High Reps With Low Weights Builds Muscle, Too
- Health Tip: Seniors, Boost Your Balance
- Weight Training Improves Parkinson's Symptoms
- Tai Chi Improves Symptoms of Parkinson's Disease
- Health Tip: Exercising With Arthritis
- Increase in Resting Heart Rate Over Time Linked to Heart Disease Death
- Want to Live Longer? Fit Outweighs Fat
- 'Placebo Effect' May Be Common in Headache Treatment
- Tai Chi Benefits Heart Patients
- Therapy, Exercise Help Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
- Tai Chi: Best Fibromyalgia Treatment?