Patient Comments: Swollen Lymph Nodes - Causes

What caused your swollen lymph nodes? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Madmum, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 24

For a couple of years I've been aware that my glands on the left side of my neck have been swollen. Then about 12 months ago they became very painful so I went to my general physician (GP). The GP sent me for an ultra sound on my neck. When I went back for the results the GP didn't know what they meant so he sent me to see a consultant at ENT department. On my first visit he did another ultra sound, which found that the lymph nodes were quite big. On noticing how big they were he did an on-the-spot needle biopsy, which wasn't very pleasant, in fact very painful! On my next visit for my results he reassured me that there wasn't anything sinister going on but that he could operate to remove them. On my next visit in March he is going to give me another ultra sound to see if they have grown any.

Comment from: TS, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 11

First things first; if you do research and start reading medical reports on cat scratch disease, some will say 1 episode confers lifelong immunity. Not true. I am currently suffering from my 2nd infection from it, almost 25 years from after the 1st infection. The first time I had pneumonia/flu type symptoms, and went on Cipro within 48 hours. I don't recall how long it took it to be fully resolved. But the symptoms were limited to coughing, high fever, headaches, swollen glands near ears, pain in throat. This time, the symptoms are remarkably different; low-grade fevers, swollen lymph nodes in the back of neck and in the arms, terrible arm pain originating from near elbows, ulcerations under the eyelids with eye pain, pain in throat, migraine headaches, and abdominal pain, anxiety and agitation. I'm now entering the 3rd month, and I am not doing antibiotics this time, but rather just vitamins, supplements and a variety of other helpful herbs and natural food items. Everything has pretty much abated except for the arm pain.

Comment from: dogone, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 21

My eustachian tubes are blocked. Because of chronic sinusitis and repeated ear infections, I am having tubes surgically put in my ears. During this period of time I found the lymph nodes highest in my neck to be sore and swollen doubtless dealing with the surrounding infections.

Comment from: worried, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 08

I have swollen glands under my ears, along jaw bone had blood work done. I don't have HIV and my doctor says it is due to allergies. But it has been there for 4 months and I am really worried. I have no pain but the lymph nodes swell big when I am lying down, and when up and walking around they go down. I wonder if it is really glands or sinus drain. I also have arthritis in my shoulder.

Comment from: Ram, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: August 29

I was long back diagnosed with Hodgkin's Lymphoma (HL), some 15 years back. A relapse and stem cell transplant later… it's been 12-13 years and I have been under remission. I usually have lymph nodes around the side of my neck when I have had a cold or bad cough for more than 1 month and usually 4-5 of them flare up in total on the sides of my neck. My own experience is that the lesser I fidget in trying to feel them and concentrate on my work, greater the chance they disappear. Anyway they usually do subside within 3 weeks, but seriously guys HL is a worry if you have associated symptoms. I lost weight, 76 to 66 in 1 month and used to sweat like a pig even under AC. So while keeping tab of your nodes, no point in fretting over them. Even if it is HL, what choice do you have but to fight it out!

Comment from: Mel, Female (Patient) Published: April 15

I've had benign paroxysmal positional vertigo (BPPV) for 4 years. I have an appointment in 2 weeks' time. It makes my eyes very tired, when they keep moving.

Comment from: Victoriann, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 22

My lymph nodes under my chin has been swollen now for two weeks. The first day I noticed it, I went to get medical attention. The doctor gave me antibiotics and pain medicine. I am still taking the antibiotics, but the lymph node on the left side under my chin is still swollen.

Comment from: deedeva75, 65-74 Female Published: January 14

I just had mine earlier today and the reason for the spinal tap is because I am experiencing vision loss. This is the worst pain I have felt, this was worse than the epidural when I was pregnant. I will follow up with the doctor tomorrow.

Comment from: marko1953, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: November 13

I have a swollen lymph node in the right side of my neck. This was determined by a CT scan. It is quite painful, I was told that therapy could help with the pain.

Comment from: Lou, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 05

I noticed a small swelling under my jaw. My physician and ENT specialist didn't think it was serious but agreed to do a biopsy. I was diagnosed with cancer of the left tonsil that had spread to the lymph node. I did not have any other symptoms. Never ignore a lump, I am sure glad I didn't.

Comment from: BG1kanobe, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: October 22

I recently had strep throat and developed an enlarged lymph node on the right side of my neck that has not decreased in size over six weeks now. It hurts a little bit when I move my neck around.

Comment from: sherry, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 27

I have sore lymph nodes. If you live or have been to any area that has the dirt and airborne spore that can cause Valley fever, get checked for it. Only a few areas in the US have it and most people who contract it never know. It took me 3 trips to the emergency room in Arizona (where it endemic) to be diagnosed. I have a 1:8 titer and my lymph nodes hurt so badly in the upper body and groin area I have to take opioid pain pills. I am getting treated with a fungicide.

Comment from: Claude, (Patient) Published: August 13

After eating a piece of fruit I noticed that the lymph node on the right side of my jaw had swollen. Over time it went down some. Then eating more fruit it would rise again.

Comment from: Rossi, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 19

I"m a little bit worried about the swollen lymph node that I have on my left side of my neck. Back in November of 2013 I had the flu and I noticed that swollen node around the left side of my neck, so I went to my doctor and she said that it was going to go away soon. After a month and half I went back to see if she could run some other test and she did. First she did an x-ray and she couldn"t see anything so she send me again to do CT scan and after a week I called her for the results and I was really upset because she said the lymph node was around 2 centimeters. But she thinks it is just fat tissue and nothing else to worry, but she said if you still concerned about it you can go to a specialist I can refer you to. But it's been almost 2 months after she told me that and the swollen lymph node still there.

Comment from: Flaggirl, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 13

I have had fibromyalgia for many years and Sjogren's syndrome for a couple of years. Both are autoimmune diseases and fibromyalgia really messes with collagen. Sjogren's identifies the destruction of at least parts of nodes. I suspect the two work together to enhance the destructiveness.

Comment from: chevyboy, 19-24 Male Published: January 20

I just started eating dinner and about 3 to 4 bite's in, my tongue started tensing up and then a knot the size of a golf ball started to appear, by then, swelling started growing around the know that appeared underneath the left side of my jaw bone, it's been a few days now, but every time I eat something it starts swelling up again and hurting, the knot is still there thought. But not long after I quit eating the pain and swelling goes away.

Comment from: vikings1, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: December 27

I had a heart ablation done about 3 months ago to correct a-fib. During a follow-up appointment I had a CT of my chest. One of the nodes in my chest was enlarged. The ablation seems to have been successful, but to be safe about the node I had blood work done and am supposed to get a follow-up CT in three months. I have never smoked and have had little to no exposure to asbestos. I am 44. How concerned should I be? I have no other symptoms or health problems and exercise regularly without breathing difficulty.

Comment from: CuriousLady, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: December 20

I have yet to know the cause of my lymph node. I have been having swollen lymph node for approx. 8 years on and off, when I was 16 years old. The first time I had the swollen lymph node (size of a fish ball), the doctor just brushed it off as 'normal.' I came back to see a different doctor only after 7 1/2 years (due to it being swollen and tender, on and off). I did a blood test and unfortunately my ANA (anti-nuclear antibodies) was slightly below the positive level which is intermediate. There's different level of ANA (negative, intermediate and positive). I'm on a 6-mth medical check-up, hopefully. I'll know the cause of it soon. As I'm currently experiencing swollen neck lymph node NOW!

Comment from: Doug B., 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: August 19

My husband suddenly started feeling pain due to a large swollen lymph note on his right side and also that swollen thing under the tongue.

Comment from: mable, 45-54 Male (Caregiver) Published: May 21

I have swollen lymph nodes in the underarms, soft and mobile. The ESR is 19.

Comment from: Piko44, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: February 11

I have been in the military for 16 years and recently I discovered that I have enlarge lymph nodes. I wonder if the vaccination I received while deployed could have that effect.

Comment from: manisa, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 22

I had swollen nodes in inguinal and cervical region with allergic rashes after viral fever.

Comment from: nrc, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 19

about 10 years ago I went to the doctor with a large red rash on my stomach - I had no other symptoms other than I was exhausted all the time. My doctor was out and an intern doing his medical round in my doctors office said that I had symptoms of Sarcoidosis. He said I should be tested. Sure enough I had 40 swollen lymph nodes in my stomach, spleen and lungs. Since I had been diagnosed a lot of things made sense. I have trouble breathing now because it is more in the lungs. But I am still functional and use an inhaler to minimize the affects. I had just about every test before this. They did a punch biopsy of the rash and all kind of blood tests. So if there is not a reason for your lymph nodes swelling you might ask about Sarcoidosis.

Comment from: truth seeker, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 13

About 7 years ago I had all my amalgam fillings removed. For the 5 years prior to that, I was starting to experience autoimmune symptoms. I started reading about them and found that in other countries they have made the connection to mercury and amalgam fillings. I had the safest method used for removal which is a rubber dam. However, after each treatment my lymph glands in my neck and behind my ears became quite inflamed and painful. My tongue turned yellow on the side the fillings were being removed on the first dentist visit. Ever since then, my lymph system in my head and neck are sensitive. I had one of my back molars removed recently which stirred up things. Also I tried to take an OTC treatment for hot flashes, and within days my neck around my throat became inflamed and sore. I am in the process of testing, having ruled out infection, thyroid, and had an ultrasound done. The ultrasound showed enlarged lymph nodes on both sides of my neck. I do know mercury has played a big role in this but my traditional MDs do not have training on this. I have only found support through NDs which are naturopathic doctors with 4 year medical school training. I am to have further scans with contrast and a biopsy next.

Comment from: jenna2323, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 07

I have had swollen lymph nodes for 8 months now. So I got checked out, blood testing, and some other test. He said I was fine, you know your body when there is something wrong!! They are all on my collar bone area, in the neck area, behind my neck, that one is big! Now I have big red bumps on my tongue and toward the back of my throat.

Comment from: Madison, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: August 07

I woke up one morning with sore underarms the day after finishing being on one steroid and two antibiotics to treat pneumonia that I had a week before. I do have RA but in a recent blood test my inflammation rate had gone back to normal. I am always tired too. The doctor felt and found small swollen lymph nodes but still doesn't know.

Comment from: PrincessRhi, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: September 27

The lymph node on the left side of my neck near my chin has been constantly swollen for the past 2 years- I ignored it as it was painless (I'm 25 years old, fit, healthy so didn't think it was anything serious) I started getting constant itching, headaches and a sore throat that lasted for weeks at a time. The doctor sent me for an ultrasound of my neck and a face x-ray a week ago, the consultant said he was concerned and sent me for an MRI scan today. I get all my results next wednesday. They suspect lymphoma (a form of cancer). Never ignore a lump even if you think it's nothing or if it's painless.

Comment from: Aimdog, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 18

During the past month, I have had several painful swollen lymph nodes or lumps develop. The first one was on my chest, just to the left of my right breast. That one stayed sore for a few days. Then I noticed a couple on my ribs. Two more developed in my groin area on each side of the pubic bone. They remained painful for several days, then they seemed to be gone. Two days ago, I developed two spots on my upper rib cage near my armpit. My doctor seems to think nothing about them. I have chronic pain and fibromyalgia and thought maybe this was related. I don't ever feel good and have constant malaise as well and am getting very concerned. Back in October, I was diagnosed with pneumonia after having severe chest pains. The CAT scan revealed infiltrates. The only problem with that was I had no symptoms of pneumonia at all. Two weeks later, I was back in the hospital with light chest pain, extreme weakness and malaise. I was told I didn't have it. I had an elevated white blood count and a high SED rate. I still don't know what was wrong with me. I'm getting a little worried.

Comment from: 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 16

I'm HIV+ which is responsible for my swollen lymph nodes.

Comment from: K.C., 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: March 26

Three months ago, a swelling started under the skin on the right side of my jawbone. Right now it is about the size of a golf ball. It doesn't hurt, but one has now started to appear on the left side as well.

Comment from: lebtown, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 10

I had a tick removed from the right side of my head. About a week later I had an enlarged lymph node in the back of my neck on the right side. I went to the doctor and they tested me for mono and lyme disease. Both came back negative. The next week I had another enlarged lymph node in the right side of my neck. The next week another behind my right ear. I was given penicillin. I had horrible pain beginning behind my right ear radiating down my jaw. I was diagnosed with trigeminal neuralgia; however I had an appointment at the dentist. I mentioned the pain and lymph nodes to him and a couple x-rays later he found an abscessed tooth that the cavity had tunneled right into the nerve. He fixed that and I was given amoxicillin and Tylenol, and am back on track.

Comment from: joanne, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 23

I had swollen lymph nodes under my left ear and jaw line 3 years ago, after 2 courses of antibiotics and 6-7 months they reduced back to normal, however this morning I have awoken to a small gland just under my ear lobe swollen, there is nothing wrong with me I feel fine, don't even have a cold so I'm going to see if it reduces back to normal, if not I'm making a doctor's appointment as I have no idea what is causing this.

Comment from: The king, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: April 04

I was looking on this website and looked at the lymph node swelling causes because I have some swelling too. I then looked up the Hodgkin's disease cause and the guy in the video said he had a pain in the middle of his shoulder blades which scared me because I had the same pain sometimes. The pain isn't consistent though. It sort of just felt like a pinched nerve or something.

Comment from: Kelly N, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 20

I awoke one morning to a swollen lymph node on the left side of my neck one morning. It wasnt painful but went to ER anyway. Found out I had stage 3 Hodgkin's Lymphoma. Never ignore symptoms just because they our body is trying to tell you something.

Comment from: Mary, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: December 27

The back of my neck/hairline always swells up every time I dye my hair. I know I'm allergic to the dye and I regret it every time I do it. My scalp gets really dry and itchy. And wherever the dye touch, I get a bumpy red rash that gets really warm and itchy! I never saw a doctor for it, I figured I'd stay away from dyeing my hair. But I just recently did it again, impulse move thinking that I should be able to handle it. But it's painful! My lymph nodes swell up like crazy too! I take ibuprofen/Tylenol to get rid of the pain and I take 2 showers to wash my head for some relief and maybe dilute the chemicals that's on my scalp!

Comment from: Anjelina, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: November 17

I had a root canal done two months ago, since then I've been having pain at the site along with some swelling. I went back to the dentist. X-ran done, showed nothing. By that time it was getting very painful. Having difficulty chewing my food. So, after much insisting, the dentist finally opted to cut open my gum line a couple days ago and found a piece of tooth in there with lots of discharge. He cleaned it out and put me on pen V. Now I feel my glands are swollen.

Comment from: Tazzy, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: July 21

About 3weeks ago I noticed I had a raised lump in more right groin. Initially the doctor thought I had a hernia. However, a scan revealed I had several reactive lymph nodes. I have also had a blood test and this came back fine. The doctor said that I have had an infection and the lymph nodes are fighting the infection and that's why they are still swollen. Last year I got two tattoos on my legs.

Comment from: suartel, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 03

I have had a swollen area on the right side of my neck for over 2 yrs. They did an ultrasound to confirm what it was (muscle, soft tissue). It turned out it was 2 lymph nodes. No one seems concerned. I have had bloodwork at least 3 times and once the eosinophils were high but since all other bloodwork turned out okay, they determined it had to be my allergies causing them to be swollen. I get bloodwork at least once a year and have just been keeping an eye on it. But they don't really hurt and they are soft and moveable so I am not much concerned either.

Comment from: sue, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 28

I had my left kidney removed in July, 2010 due to a cancerous cyst, on my latest CT Scan a swollen lymph node was noted, and to be checked again in 3 months.

Subscribe to MedicineNet's General Health Newsletter