Patient Comments: Swine Flu - Concerns and Risks

Are you concerned about contracting swine flu? Has it affected your travel plans? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: April 30

I am concerned about swine flu for the simple fact that I'm just one of those people who gets sick very easily. Other than that, I'm not too concerned. It wouldn't affect any travel plans I have, but I am more cautious around people who are sick. Also, I have been keeping extra antibacterial hand sanitizer on hand.

Comment from: Manorama, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 21

I sometimes have stuffy nose. It is on and off for more than 10 days. I wonder if I need to get it tested. I don't have sore throat or other symptoms of swine flu.

Comment from: RKGARG, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: March 03

I am undergoing treatment for tuberculosis for the last four months and visited the hospital three days back. Since yesterday I am having cough and sneezing two to three times in a day. I have no temperature or headache. I wonder if I should go for swine flu test.

Comment from: mahesh, 19-24 Male (Caregiver) Published: February 12

For the last 3 days I have been suffering with cold and throat pain. I am scared that it is swine flu symptoms.

Comment from: kkhelp, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: May 04

I have this rash on my leg and it is scaring me, it itches and it is awfully painful. I have a VERY itchy eye and I feel like I have to vomit all the time. I have diarrhea really badly anything I eat is gone in a matter of hours. I feel tired all the time and I can't sleep! I feel achy and lazy. I hiccup or something like that and then I have vomit rush up my throat, but I don't throw up. My ear aches really badly and I have a headache all the time! I get the cold chills often. I feel tired and just run down after small activities. I live in Kansas with spreading numbers of swine flu, I don't know the symptoms of this flu, but my parents don't like going to doctors.

Comment from: bacon, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 20

I recently was feeling poorly with a sore throat for about two weeks, and usually it is my allergies. I just came back from Vegas from a conference and feel run down: sore throat, chills, severe muscle aches, fatigue, and nausea. Usually I am never ill, but my co- workers noticed that my game was off while I was away. I still feel bad after I returned to California. This has been going on for three weeks, which is highly unusual for me because I am very healthy and travel a great deal for work. I will see my doctor this week.

Comment from: minime, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: May 08

I think the "swine flu" is far overrated. Considering 33,000 people die every year from the regular flu. While I understand this is a new virus, there are antibiotics available to help treat this. Just like the regular flu, it's not curable. I understand the need for concern, but people are taking this way out of proportion.

Comment from: alexp112459, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: April 30

My wife, daughter, and I went on vacation to California for two weeks. We started our trip on April 16, 2009 at Pier 35 in San Francisco. While there, we noticed the Star Princess cruise ship had just disembarked from a Mexican cruise. We did not know then about the swine flu cases and mingled with the cruise folks (about 3,100 people). After nine days from our trip, my wife and I have diarrhea, headaches, chills, sore throats, aching muscles, and runny noses. We live in Nevada and are going to visit our doctor today. Alex

Comment from: JL, 45-54 Female Published: April 28

I am traveling to Las Vegas this weekend and am worried. I don't know whether to wear a face mask on the plane or not. I'm taking a lot of sanitizing wipes and gel though, and I plan on wiping anything and everything I touch!

Comment from: kittyscratch, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 28

I live in Las Vegas which is traditionally a tourist town. I am VERY worried about contracting Swine Flu. Many people who live here also have terrible allergies, so it will be difficult to determine visually those with the flu, and those who simply have allergies.

Comment from: NorCalBtty, Published: April 27

My brother has made plans to travel to Cozumel, and my mother is worried sick that he will catch swine flu while traveling in Mexico. Though he's not concerned about catching swine flu, she is. She wants him to cancel his trip.

Comment from: cory shrimp, 13-18 Male (Patient) Published: May 04

I think I have the swine flu, I have a cough, sore throat, some stuff coming up when I cough heavily, but I don't really feel tired or out of energy, but a little more than usual. I'm at school right now, and really just looked into the stuff, and now I'm kind of scared, because I've been coughing on people and I worry that I might be spreading it.

Comment from: Jamerican, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 01

I am concerned because I just returned from Jamaica and when we disembarked from the plane, another plane from Mexico City had just arrived before us. The immigration people were wearing masks and gloves, and we were not offered any to wear. I commented on the fact that they were wearing masks and was told that they didn't want to catch swine flu! What about me and my family?!

Comment from: barbie, 55-64 Male (Caregiver) Published: May 01

Yes, swine flu has affected our travel plans. We were to leave for Canada today after six healthy months in Mexico, and now my husband has some type of influenza. He's been vomiting, had loose stools, and is lethargic.

Comment from: glenda1965, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: April 30

I believe my husband could have swine flu. He is in Mexico now and will try to fly home, if they don't catch him at the airports. I will bring him ASAP to be tested. We miss him and are ready for him to come home, but I'm afraid he will bring it back to all of us.

Comment from: Judy from Pittsburgh, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 30

I'm worried about swine flu. I'm from the Pittsburgh area. We went on vacation to Hawaii from April 13 to April 24. I was on three plane flights on the way there and three on the way back. I was fine when I left. On the way from Atlanta to L.A., I sat by a man who hacked the whole way. The next day, I woke up sick. I had severe congestion, a cough, shaking, chills, vomiting, and general malaise. I don't know if I had a fever (no thermometer). I took amoxicillin for 10 days and was almost better. When I got home I got worse -- no more vomiting, but I had diarrhea, headaches, a very sore throat, muscle aches, congestion, coughing, fatigue, but no fever. I went to Med-Express, and they gave Zithromax. This is the third day I've been on it, and I don't feel much better.

Comment from: kellysville, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 28

I had the swine flu and didn't know it. It started a few days before it became big news. I had all the symptoms and felt like I was going to die. I got through it and am wondering if I can get it again.

Comment from: A Little Nervous, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 27

I'm a little concerned about swine flu. My fiancé and I have a wedding coming up in a month, and we have a lot of family and friends traveling from all over the country to come in for it. Also, we will be traveling to Greece for our honeymoon. I definitely hope swine flu gets under control soon!

Published: May 04

I am really scared about the swine flu. I catch stuff real easy, my boyfriends sister is really sick. We don't know if she has the swine flu, but she has the symptoms. She called to ask for a ride to the hospital, but we didn't do it because we were really worried to be infected. I feel bad that we didn't take her, but this is scary stuff, someone else took her. Anyway I hope they find a cure soon.

Comment from: Santoshngc, 19-24 (Patient) Published: May 04

I'm from Pokhara Nepal. Yesterday my friend came in my house & told that he is not feeling good. He told he ate pig meat 2 days ago. He was so weak. In the morning I felt unwell. Now I'm suffering from headaches, chills, aching muscles, and runny noses. I'm afraid whether I'm suffering from Swine Flu.

Comment from: kenlin, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 04

I am wondering if it's possible that this flu was making the rounds prior to being reported. My family and I had a terrible flu this year- just recovered from it a few weeks ago. We had all the symptoms. We all agreed it was unlike any illnesss we'd ever had. We were sick for 2 months! I've never been that sick in my lifetime. I was sure we'd end up hospitalized. And it was highly contagious, despite good hygiene and keeping our distance. Is it possible that this virus, or maybe an earlier strain of it was making the rounds earlier on the timeline?

Comment from: ARutan, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 04

My son was sent home from school on Friday with vomiting and a fever and a slightly sore throat. By 4pm his fever was up to 104.8 so we called the doctor and they had us bring him right in. They diagnosed him with strep throat even though his strep test came back negative. By the next day he was feeling better but I started feeling sick and by that afternoon my fever was up to 104.6. I had a runny nose, a slightly sore throat, chills and aches all over. We were going to go to the hospital if my fever reached 105 because I have a shunt in my spine and brain and have had a brain infection. By Sunday I was feeling a bit better and my fever was down to 102 in the am and by the afternoon it was down to 100. Today it is normal so far and I do feel better other then a headache (slight) and congestion. How long do the symptoms usually last?

Comment from: Liketoknow, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 04

My 3 year old grandson visited yesterday. He awoke from a nap and vomited. Today I feel nausea, diarrhea, and chills, and a slight headache. Should I call my doctor? I do not have a cough or fever. I live in Alabama. Could this be another virus, not swine flu?

Comment from: that_girl, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: May 04

I'm not overly concerned about swine flu but I am washing my hands more often, trying to minimize the amount of touching that I do, especially at school because there are so many people there who may be sick. I'm not travelling anywhere soon, but if I were going to travel I would refrain from travelling to Mexico and the southern U.S because of the high incidence of swine flu in that area.

Comment from: EMckelvey, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 30

I have had a virus consisting of fever no higher than 101, sore throat, earache, coughing violently, stuffed-up nose, nausea, and diarrhea (the diarrhea only lasted two days) for ten days now. I also lost voice my voice for two days and was hoarse for four days. Finally went to the Doctor on Tuesday. He gave me Z-pac and hydrocodone-Homatropine cough syrup. I am a little better today. How do I know I didn't have Swine flu? I haven't been to Mexico or around anyone that I know of that has had Swine flu.

Comment from: Acp, Female (Caregiver) Published: April 30

I know someone who is currently on a cruise to Mexico and the ship told the passengers that they refuse to go to Mexico because of the flu and they turned the boat around and went to the Florida Keys instead! People paid a lot of money to go to Mexico on a boat and instead had to go to Florida! A suggestion to those who are planning to go to Mexico on a cruise please call the ship to see if they are still planning on sailing to Mexico so you can possibly get a refund.

Comment from: yikes, Published: April 30

Over the past week I've had a sinus infection, slight fever and chills (at night), tired, sore throat with swollen glands, and now a "chronic" cough (bronchial). I am in Hawaii, but had a pilot friend and family visit from San Diego 1 1/2 weeks ago, who is also sick now. His family is fine, my family is fine. How do I know if this is/ is not swine flu? There doesn't seem to be any difference in the common flu symptoms and this.

Comment from: Vicspur, 45-54 Female Published: April 30

In 1976 when the first out brake of Swine Flu came out I was in grade school, I was very very sick with very high fevers, and the rest that goes with the swine flu. I was wondering can I get it again?

Comment from: sick Girl, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: April 30

I am sick, my muscles are sore, and my throat is sore, my nose is running, and I am scared. I'm not sure if I have the swine flu, but it is still scary. My mom told me to stay home, and I didn't go to school today. Help, if you know anything else about this swine flu, or the symptoms.

Comment from: cm, Published: April 27

I've been feeling sick, and I have most of the symptoms of the swine flu. I am worried.

Comment from: beachhouse, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 04

I have a severe sore throat and cough. I went to the Doctor yesterday and he prescribed the z pack. I am worse today and I am now throwing up.

Comment from: alibaba, Male Published: April 30

Isn't this so called epidemic nothing more then plain flu and people are overreacting. If this started in Mexico how can it be this wide spread?

Subscribe to MedicineNet's General Health Newsletter