Novel H1N1 influenza A virus infection (swine flu) is an infection that generally is transferred from an infected pig to a human, however there have been reported cases where infection has occured with no contact with infected pigs. Symptoms of swine flu are "flu-like" and include fever, cough, and sore throat. Treatment is generally with the antibiotics oseltamivir (Tamiflu) or zanamivir (Relenza). Read more: Swine Flu Article
Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
16 Foods That Boost and Improve Your Immune System
Fight cold and flu with foods that boost and improve your immune system. Reach for bright-colored antioxidant and vitamin-rich...
Picture of Influenza Virus
The flu is caused by viruses that infect the respiratory tract which are divided into three types, designated A, B, and C. See a...
A Cold or The Flu? How to Tell the Difference
Learn common symptoms of a cold and the flu. Discover the difference between a cold and the flu. Read about cold and flu...
Common Respiratory Illnesses
Is your cough caused by a cold, flu, pneumonia or something else? Learn causes of respiratory infection like bronchitis,...
Related Disease Conditions
Headaches can be divided into two categories: primary headaches and secondary headaches. Migraine headaches, tension headaches,...
Diarrhea is a change is the frequency and looseness of bowel movements. Symptoms associated with diarrhea are cramping, abdominal...
25 Sore Throat Home Remedies
These 25 sore throat natural and home remedies can help soothe throat pain, and heal a sore throat caused by viral (common cold,...
Sore throats are generally described as pain or discomfort in the throat area. A sore throat may be caused by: bacterial...
Pneumonia is inflammation of the lungs caused by fungi, bacteria, or viruses. Symptoms and signs include cough, fever, shortness...
Although a fever technically is any body temperature above the normal of 98.6 F (37 C), in practice, a person is usually not...
How Long Is a Cold or Flu Contagious?
Viruses cause the common cold and the flu. Early symptoms and signs for a cold and the flu are similar, however, flu symptoms are...
Cough (Chronic Cough)
Chronic cough is a cough that does not go away and is generally a symptom of another disorder such...
Epilepsy is a brain disorder in which the person has seizures. There are two kinds of seizures, focal and generalized. There are...
Nausea and Vomiting (Causes, Natural Remedies, Diet, Medication)
Nausea is an uneasiness of the stomach that often precedes vomiting. Nausea and vomiting are not diseases, but they are symptoms...
Guillain-Barré Syndrome is an autoimmune disease of the nervous system due to damage to the myelin sheath around nerves....
Group A streptococcal infections are caused by group A streptococcus, a bacteria that causes a variety of health problems,...
Influenza (flu) is a respiratory illness caused by a virus. Flu symptoms include fever, cough, sore throat, runny nose, headache,...
Bird Flu (Avian Influenza, Avian Flu)
Bird flu (avian flu, avian influenza) infection in humans may result from contact with infected poultry. There is a vaccine to...
Severe acute respiratory syndrome (SARS) is a respiratory disease caused by the coronavirus SARS-CoV. Symptoms include fever and...
Is Swine Flu (H1N1) Contagious?
Swine flu (H1N1) is a contagious virus that spreads when an infected individual expels virus-containing droplets into the air...
Headaches in Children
Kids get headaches and migraines too. Many adults with headaches started having them as kids, in fact, 20% of adult headache...
Pregnancy: Swine Flu and the H1N1 Vaccine
Pregnant and women who are breastfeeding are encouraged to receive the seasonal flu shot as well as the 2009 H1N1 influenza...
Swine Flu - Concerns and Risks
Are you concerned about contracting swine flu? Has it affected your travel plans?Post View 32 Comments
Swine Flu - Symptoms and Signs
What symptoms and signs did you experience with swine flu?Post View 7 Comments
Swine Flu - Treatment
What treatment did you receive for swine flu?Post View 1 Comment
Treatment & Diagnosis
- How Does a Person Catch Swine Flu?
- Influenza A (H3N2)v: What Goes Around Comes Around
- H1N1 Swine Flu Can Infect Some Pets
- What to Do if You Think You Have H1N1 Swine Flu Virus
- Swine Flu: One New York City Pediatrician's View
- Swine Flu Symptoms, Diagnosis, and Vaccination
- Swine Flu: How a Hospital Prepares for Patients
Medications & Supplements
Prevention & Wellness
- Could Swine Flu Be Linked to Type 1 Diabetes?
- Have Fun at the Fair, But Don't Pet the Pigs
- Is Your Child's Day Care Center Ready for Pandemic Flu?
- H1N1 'Swine Flu' Vaccine Unlikely to Raise Birth Defect Risk
- Scientists Get Closer to Long-Lasting Flu Vaccine
- Airport Screenings Miss Roughly Half of Sick Travelers: Study
- All Pregnant Women Need Flu Shot: Ob/Gyn Group
- Swine Flu From 2009 Pandemic Also Struck Sea Otters: Study
- Report Questions Effectiveness of Flu Meds
- Tamiflu Saved Lives During Swine Flu Pandemic, Study Confirms
- There's Still Time to Get a Flu Shot
- Tamiflu Shortage Again
- H1N1 Flu Spreading in South-Central U.S.
- Swine Flu's Death Toll May Be Much Higher Than Thought
- Could Immune Cell Discovery Lead to Universal Flu Vaccine?
- H7N9 Bird Flu Transmits From Person to Person, Study Finds
- Chinese Warn of Possible Re-Emergence of Bird Flu
- Saliva May Improve With Age for Flu Protection
- H1N1 Flu Virus Detected in Seals Off California Coast
- Study Confirms Slight Rise in Paralysis Risk After Swine Flu Shot
- H1N1 Swine Flu Vaccine Tied to Sleep Disorder in British Children
- Health Tip: Coping With the Flu
- Fetal Deaths Up Among Unvaccinated Moms in H1N1 Pandemic: Study
- Flu Cases Rise Across U.S., Severe Season Feared
- Researchers Find Powerful Swine Flu Strain in Korea
- Kids With Neurological Conditions at Higher Risk of Flu Death: CDC
- 71 New Cases of H3N2v Swine Flu
- New Swine Flu Outbreak: Case Count Rising
- New Swine Flu Outbreak Worries CDC
- Seal Flu: Next Pandemic Threat?
- New Seal Flu Could Pose Threat to Humans
- Airports in N.Y., L.A., Hawaii Deemed Worst for Pandemic Spread
- H1N1 Flu Shot Appears Safe During Pregnancy
- Pandemic H1N1 Flu Killed Far More Than Reported: Study
- Flu Season Off to a Very Late Start: CDC
- H1N1 'Swine' Flu Makes a Comeback in Mexico
- Health Highlights: Jan. 27, 2012
- How Did Generation X Respond to the H1N1 'Swine' Flu Epidemic?
- Flu Season Off to Slow Start, So Far
- Where's the Flu? Get Ready
- Cases of Tamiflu-Resistant Flu Concern Experts
- Health Highlights: Dec. 15, 2011
- More Pregnant Women Getting Flu Shots
- Survey: Two-Thirds of Americans Plan to Get Flu Vaccine
- Health Highlights: Sept. 8, 2011
- Flu Vaccine Rates Are High for 2 Seasons in a Row
- Decade's Top 10 Public Health Achievements
- H1N1 Flu Is Raging in Britain; Could U.S. Be Next?
- Flu Is Widespread in 11 States
- Flu Vaccine FAQ
- H1N1 Swine Flu No Worse Than Seasonal Flu
- Experts Predict 'Normal' H1N1 Flu Season This Year
- CDC: Flu Vaccine Arriving, Get Yours ASAP
- Swine Flu Pandemic Over, WHO Declares
- What Caused 2009 H1N1 Pandemic?
- H1N1 Protection in Coming Season's Flu Vaccines: FDA
- Swine Flu Pandemic Hit Children the Hardest
- 1 in 5 Parents Missed Work for H1N1 School Closings: Survey
- Early Tamiflu Might Benefit Transplant Patients With H1N1 Flu
- H1N1 Flu Undergoing Genetic Changes in Pigs
- H1N1 Flu Vaccine May Shield Against 1918 Strain
- H1N1 Flu Acts Much Like Its Seasonal Cousin
- Swine Flu's Toll on Military, Young People
- 1 in 4 Americans Got Swine Flu Vaccine
- H1N1 Swine Flu Still Smoldering in U.S.
- CDC Panel Calls for Flu Vaccine for All
- Next Year, Just 1 Flu Shot
Subscribe to MedicineNet's General Health Newsletter