Sunburn is caused by overexposure to UV radiation from the sun. UV rays can also damage the eyes. Repeated overexposure to UV rays also increases the risk for scarring, freckles, wrinkles, and dry skin. Symptoms of sunburn include:
- tender, and
- hot skin.
Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
Rosacea, Acne, Shingles: Common Adult Skin Diseases
Learn to spot and treat skin conditions commonly found in adults such as acne, eczema, shingles, psoriasis, rosacea, hives, cold...
Skin Cancer Symptoms, Types, Images
Discover the causes, types, and treatments of skin cancer. Learn how to prevent skin cancer and how to check for melanoma, basal...
Dehydration: Causes, Symptoms & Tips to Stay Hydrated
Do you know the signs of dehydration? Dehydration can cause medical complications. Learn the causes, symptoms, treatments, and...
Summer Skin Risks: Sunburn, Bug Bites & Poison Ivy
When it comes to summer, there plenty of hazards under the sun! Take the Summer Skin Hazards Quiz and clue in on the dangers to...
Sun Safety Quiz: Test Your Sun Safety IQ
What do you know about the Sun and the damage it can cause to our skin. Take the Sun Safety Quiz and learn how to protect...
Skin Quiz: Acne, Dry Skin, Dandruff & More
What's that all over you? Skin, of course! Test your knowledge of your most amazing organ with the Skin Quiz!...
Trauma and First Aid Quiz: Training and Supplies
What should be in your first-aid kit? Take this quiz to understand trauma and learn the truth about how to administer first aid....
Skin and Makeup Quiz: Test Your Skin and Makeup IQ
Are you doing right by your skin? Take the Skin and Makeup Quiz to learn how to make the most of your beauty regimen....
Picture of Sunburn
Sunburn is an inflammation of the skin that develops in response to exposure to ultraviolet (UV) radiation from the sun or from...
Heat Rash Pictures, Symptoms, Causes, & Treatments
Do you know what heat rash looks like? Heat rash (also called prickly heat) develops when the skin sweat ducts become blocked....
Picture of Keratoacanthoma 1
Keratoacanthoma (KA) is a special lesion, a pseudocancer, occurring as an isolated nodule, usually on the face, and mimicking...
Picture of Keratoacanthoma 2
Keratoacanthoma - Erythematous, dome-shaped tumor with a large, central, keratotic plug of 6-weeks duration. See a picture of...
Picture of Acute Sunburn
Sunburn is an acute, delayed, and transient inflammatory response of normal skin after exposure to UVR from sunlight or...
Picture of Phototoxic Drug-induced Photosensitivity
Topical Phototoxic Dermatits is inadvertent contact with or therapeutic application of a photosensitizer, followed by UVA...
Picture of Blisters
Wearing shoes that do not fit properly or wearing shoes without socks can cause blisters, which can become infected. See a...
Picture of Skin
The skin is the largest organ of the body, with a total area of about 20 square feet. See a picture of the Skin and learn more...
Picture of Polymorphous Light Eruption on Nose
Patients with this condition develop papules, papulovesicles, or erythematous plaques in response to sun exposure. See a picture...
Picture of Phototoxic Drug Reaction
In phototoxic reactions, the drug may become activated by exposure to sunlight and cause damage to the skin. See a picture of...
Picture of Polymorphous Light Eruption
In this condition, patients develop papules, papulovesicles, or erythematous plaques in response to sun exposure. See a picture...
Picture of Blue Nevus
Blue-black 4 mm lesion on the cheek of a child. See a picture of Blue Nevus and learn more about the health topic....
Picture of Skin Cancer
Excessive exposure to sunlight is the main cause of skin cancer. See a picture of Skin Cancer and learn more about the health...
Picture of Sunburn (First-Degree Burns)
A sunburn is skin damage from the sun's ultraviolet (UV) rays. See a picture of Sunburn (First-Degree Burns) and learn more about...
Picture of Sunburn (Second-Degree)
Your skin type affects how easily you become sunburned. See a picture of Sunburn (Second-Degree) and learn more about the health...
Picture of Wrinkles
Wrinkles are a by-product of the aging process. See a picture of Wrinkles and learn more about the health topic....
Sun-Damaged Skin: Pictures of Sun Spots, Wrinkles, Sunburns
See how sun damaged skin can cause wrinkles, moles, melanoma (skin cancer) and more. Explore sunburn relief and how actinic...
Baby Skin Care: Tips to Keep Newborn's Skin Healthy
Caring for your newborn baby's skin may seem complex, but it doesn't have to be. There are many skin conditions such as peeling,...
Summer Skin-Hazard Pictures: Stings, Bites, Burns, and More
Don't let spider bites, sunburn, poison ivy, chigger bites, and jellyfish stings sabotage your healthy skin. Learn how you can...
Identify Birthmarks: Angel's Kiss, Strawberry Mark (Hemangiomas), Others
Birthmarks can appear on the head, over the eye, or anywhere on the skin. To learn more about birthmarks explore this medical...
Related Disease Conditions
Keratosis pilaris (KP) is a common skin disorder in which small white or red bumps appear around hair follicles on the upper...
Heat rash is a skin irritation caused by excessive sweating. It can occur at any age and it appears as a rash that itches or...
Itch (Itching or Pruritus)
Itching can be a common problem. Itches can be localized or generalized. There are many causes of itching to include: infection...
Skin cancers occur when skin cells undergo malignant transformations and grow into tumors. The most common types of skin cancer,...
Although a fever technically is any body temperature above the normal of 98.6 F (37 C), in practice, a person is usually not...
Eczema refers to skin inflammation. There are many different types of eczema that produce symptoms and signs that range from...
Vitiligo is a condition in which the skin turns white due to the loss of pigment from the melanocytes, cells that produce the...
Lymphedema is a condition in which one or more extremities become swollen as the result of an impaired flow of the lymphatic...
Dehydration is the excessive loss of body water. There are a number of causes of dehydration including heat exposure, prolonged...
Lupus (Systemic Lupus Erythematosus or SLE)
Systemic lupus erythematosus is a condition characterized by chronic inflammation of body tissues caused by autoimmune disease....
Medical shock is a life-threatening medical condition. There are several types of medical shock, including: septic shock,...
Cancer is a disease caused by an abnormal growth of cells, also called malignancy. It is a group of 100 different diseases, and...
Melanoma is a type of skin cancer which begins in skin cells called melanocytes and affects more than 53,600 people in the United...
Burns (First Aid)
Burn types are based on their severity: first-degree burns, second-degree burns, and third-degree burns. First-degree burns are...
Nausea and Vomiting (Causes, Natural Remedies, Diet, Medication)
Nausea is an uneasiness of the stomach that often precedes vomiting. Nausea and vomiting are not diseases, but they are symptoms...
Age-related macular degeneration (AMD) is a disease that gradually destroys the central vision. In people over 60, AMD is a...
Freckles are flat circular spots on the skin that may be red, yellow, tan, light brown, brown, or black in color. Lentigo is the...
Moles are small skin growths that may appear flat or raised and are often tan, brown, black, reddish brown, or skin colored. They...
Actinic keratoses are rough, scaly patches of skin that are considered precancerous and are due to sun exposure. Prevention is to...
A cataract is an eye disease that causes the eye's lens to become cloudy and opaque with decreased vision. Causes of cataracts...
Heat exhaustion is a milder form of heat-related illness that can develop after several days of exposure to high temperatures and...
Heat stroke (heatstroke or sun stroke) is a form of hyperthermia. Heat stroke is a true medical emergency that can be fatal if...
Birthmarks and other abnormal skin pigmentation is caused by the body's inability to produce enough melanin. Abnormal skin...
Scar formation is a natural part of the healing process after injury. The depth and size of the wound incision and the location...
Sun-Sensitive Drugs (Photosensitivity to Drugs)
Sun sensitivity (photosensitivity) is an inflammation of the skin induced by the combination of medications or substances and...
Heat cramps usually affect people who sweat a lot during strenuous activity or work in a hot, humid environment. Symptoms of heat...
Wrinkles, whether they be fine line or deep furrows, typically appear on areas of the body that receive a high amount of exposure...
Sunscreens are crucial for sun protection. Sun damage to the skin from exposure to ultraviolet rays is a risk factor for skin...
Certain behavioral, lifestyle, and environmental factors contribute to cancer. Cancer prevention involves modifying these factors...
Sunburn - Experience
Have you ever experienced a really bad sunburn? What was it like?Post View 8 Comments
Sunburn - Symptoms
What symptoms did you have with a sunburn?Post View 2 Comments
Sunburn - Treatment
What treatments helped relieve the pain, itching, peeling, etc. for sunburn?Post
Sunburn - Home Remedies
What home remedies have you found helpful in treating the symptoms of a sunburn?Post View 2 Comments
Sunburn (Sun Poisoning) - Applying Sunscreen
What tips do you use for applying sunscreen, for example, the time of day, how many applications, how to remind yourself to reapply sunscreen, etc.Post
Local ResourcesFind a local Dermatologist in your town
Treatment & Diagnosis
- Summer Skin Hazards Pictures FAQs
- Skin FAQs
- Beauty FAQs
- Sun Safety FAQs
- Trauma and First Aid FAQs
- 6 Tips if You Need Healthcare When Traveling
- 25 Natural and Home Remedies for Sunburn Treatment
- Travel Medicine Kit
- 11 Tips for Surviving A Heat Wave Without Air-Conditioning
- Understanding Actinic Keratosis
Medications & Supplements
- Nonsteroidal Antiinflammatory Drugs (NSAIDs)
- ibuprofen (Advil, Children's Advil/Motrin, Medipren, Motrin, Nuprin, PediaCare Fever, and others)
- acetaminophen (Tylenol, Tylenol Arthritis Pain, Tylenol Ext, Little Fevers Children's Fever/Pain)
- tretinoin, Retin-A, Retin-A Micro, Atralin, Renova, Avita
- pramoxine (Itch-X, PrameGel, Orax, Sarna Sensitive, and Others)
- benzocaine spray - mucous membrane, HurriCaine
- sonidegib (Odomzo)
Prevention & Wellness
- Health Tip: Think Smart During a Hot Spell
- How Safe and Effective Is Your Sunscreen?
- Health Tip: Don't Use Sunscreen on Newborns
- Smart Steps for Sun Protection
- A Baby's Skin No Match for the Sun
- Time for Some Summer Sun Safety Tips
- Scientists Spot Genetic Clues to Disfiguring 'Fish Scale' Disease
- Sunscreen 101
- More Teens Turning Their Backs on Tanning Beds: CDC
- Some Melanoma Survivors Still Seek Out the Sun
- Keep Your Kids Active and Injury-Free
- Health Tip: Protect Kids During Summer
- Health Tip: If You Have a Lot of Moles
- Don't Let Burns Spoil Your Summer Fun
- 4 in 10 Popular Sunscreens Don't Meet Sun Safety Standards: Study
- Sun Protection Comes in Many Forms
- Health Tip: Protect Your Hands While Gardening
- Many Parents Aren't Shielding Babies From Sun's Harmful Rays: Study
- Serving in Middle East May Raise Skin Cancer Risk in U.S. Vets
- New Dumb-But-Deadly Trend: Sunburn 'Art'
- Warning Over Sunburn 'Tattoo' Trend
- Can Orange Juice, Grapefruit Raise Your Melanoma Risk?
- Health Tip: Get Enough Vitamin D
- Health Tip: Sunburn May Cause Permanent Damage
- Many Consumers Don't Understand Sunscreen Labels, Study Finds
- Consumer Reports Recommends 15 of 34 Sunscreens
- Skin Cancer: Young Adults Get It, Too
- Health Tip: Why Is My Skin Peeling?
- Blue-Eyed People May Face Higher Melanoma Risk
- Health Tip: Help Prevent Acne Scars
- Some U.S. Troops May Face Greater Skin Cancer Risk
- Shield Yourself From the Sun
- Health Tip: Act Fast After Sunburn
- Expert Offers Motorcycle Safety Tips
- It's Better to Prevent a Sunburn Than to Treat One, Dermatologist Says
- Critics Want FDA to OK New Sunscreen Ingredients
- 5 or More Bad Sunburns While Young Tied to Higher Melanoma Risk
- Indoor Tanning Ups Melanoma Risk, Even Without Burning: Study
- Tips for Staying Safe in the Sun
- Consumer Reports Recommends 7 of 20 Sunscreens
- Beauty, Not Health May Spur Teens to Use Sunscreen
- Perils of Grilling Go Far Beyond Charred Food
- Check Your Summer Burn IQ
- Hundreds Die From Extreme Heat Each Summer, CDC Warns
- Daily Sunscreen Helps Middle-Aged Skin Stay Young: Study
- New Sunscreen Labels: What to Look For
- Revised Sunscreen Labels Should Help Consumers Make Wiser Choices
- Look for New, Improved Sunscreen Labels
- Health Tip: Protect Your Feet in the Heat
- Health Tip: Be Safe at the Beach
- Health Highlights: March 18, 2013
- Without Laws, Many Tanning Salons Would Allow Kids: Study
- Health Tip: Caring for Acne
- Mailed Kits May Prompt Parents to Protect Kids From Sun
- Choosing Sunscreen? How to Decode the Labels
- Keep Infants Out of Sun and Heat, Experts Warn
- Sunburn May Help Rid Body of Radiation-Damaged Cells
- As Heat Builds, Take Steps to Protect Yourself
- Could Sunlight Lower Your Odds for Pancreatic Cancer?
- Indoor Tanners Rationalize Risky Behavior, Study Finds
- Can Aspirin, Other NSAIDs Lower Skin Cancer Risk?
- Consumer Reports Rates Best Sunscreen Buys
- More People -- Even Kids -- Need to Wear Sunglasses
- Sunburns, Tanning Beds: Young Adults at Risk
- Doctors Urge Routine Skin Screenings
- Health Highlights: May 2, 2012
- Health Tip: Caring for a Sunburn
- Young Women Tan, Despite Health Risks
- Vitamin A May Help Reduce Melanoma Risk
- Only 1 in 4 Young Teens Uses Sunscreen Regularly, Study Finds
- Tanning Booths Increase Risk of Most Common Skin Cancer
- Sunscreen Users More Likely to Burn?
- New Clues About Why Sunburn Is So Painful
- Health Tip: Lather Kids With Sunscreen
- New Sunscreen Rules from FDA
- 9 Sunscreens Get Top Ratings by Consumer Reports
- Pollution May Aggravate Skin Damage From Sun
- Skin Cancer on the Rise
- Group Calls Some Sunscreens 'Snake Oil'
- What City Tops the 'Sun Smart' List?
- FDA Panel: New Tanning Bed Restrictions Needed
Subscribe to MedicineNet's Skin Care & Conditions Newsletter