Sudden cardiac arrest is an unexpected, sudden death caused by sudden cardiac arrest (loss of heart function). Causes and risk factors of sudden cardiac arrest include (not inclusive):
- abnormal heart rhythms (arrhythmias),
- previous heart attack,
- coronary artery disease,
- high cholesterol,
- Wolff-Parkinson-White Syndrome,
- ventricular tachycardia or ventricular fibrillation after a heart attack,
- congenital heart defects,
- history of fainting,
- heart failure,
- diabetes, and
- drug abuse.
Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
Heart Disease: Causes of a Heart Attack
Learn about heart disease and heart attack symptoms and signs of a heart attack in men and women. Read about heart disease...
Sudden Cardiac Arrest - Test Your Heart Health IQ
Take the Sudden Cardiac Arrest Quiz. Learning about this potentially deadly condition may save a life....
Heart Disease: Symptoms, Signs, and Causes
What is heart disease (coronary artery disease)? Learn about the causes of heart disease. Symptoms of heart disease include chest...
Picture of Heart Detail
The heart is composed of specialized cardiac muscle, and it is four-chambered, with a right atrium and ventricle, and an...
Picture of Heart
The muscle that pumps blood received from veins into arteries throughout the body. See a picture of the Heart and learn more...
Related Disease Conditions
How the Heart Works
The heart is a very important organ in the body. It is responsible for continuously pumping oxygen and nutrient-rich blood...
Deep Vein Thrombosis (DVT, Blood Clot in the Legs)
Deep vein thrombosis (DVT) is a blood clot in the deep veins, and can be caused by broken bones, trauma to a limb, immobility,...
12 Congestive Heart Failure Symptoms, Stages, Causes, and Life Expectancy
Congestive heart failure (CHF) refers to a condition in which the heart loses the ability to function properly. Heart disease,...
An arrhythmia is an abnormal heart rhythm. With an arrhythmia, the heartbeats may be irregular or too slow (bradycardia), to...
Fainting (Syncope) Symptoms, Causes, Treatment, and Prevention
Fainting, also referred to as blacking out, syncope, or temporary loss of consciousness has many causes. Often a person will have...
Heart disease (coronary artery disease) occurs when plaque builds up in the coronary arteries, the vessels that supply blood to...
Amyloidosis is a group of diseases resulting from abnormal deposition of certain proteins (amyloids) in various bodily areas. The...
A heart attack happens when a blood clot completely obstructs a coronary artery supplying blood to the heart muscle. A heart...
Marfan syndrome is hereditary (genetic) condition affecting connective tissue. A person with Marfan syndrome may exhibit the...
Pulmonary Embolism (Blood Clot in the Lung)
A pulmonary embolism (PE) occurs when a piece of a blood clot from deep vein thrombosis (DVT) breaks off and travels to an artery...
Heart failure (congestive) is caused by many conditions including coronary artery disease, heart attack, cardiomyopathy, and...
Premature Ventricular Contractions (PVCs, PVC)
Premature ventricular contractions (PVCs, PVC) are premature heartbeats originating from the ventricles of the heart. PVCs are...
Aortic Valve Stenosis (Symptoms, Causes, Surgery)
Aortic valve stenosis is an abnormal narrowing of the aortic valve of the heart. The causes of aortic stenosis are wear and tear...
Heart Disease: Sudden Cardiac Death
Second Source WebMD Medical Reference...
Sarcoidosis, a disease resulting from chronic inflammation, causes small lumps (granulomas) to develop in a great range of body...
Sleep apnea is defined as a reduction or cessation of breathing during sleep. The three types of sleep apnea are central apnea,...
Atrial Fibrillation vs. Ventricular Fibrillation (AFib vs VFib Symptoms, ECG Strips)
Atrial fibrillation (AF or AFib) is an abnormality in the heart rhythm which involves irregular and often rapid beating of the...
Heat stroke (heatstroke or sun stroke) is a form of hyperthermia. Heat stroke is a true medical emergency that can be fatal if...
Hyothermia or extreme exposure to cold can be classified as either accidental hypothermia (unintentional cold exposure) and...
Abnormal Heart Rhythms (Heart Rhythm Disorders)
Heart rhythm disorders vary from minor palpitations, premature atrial contractions (PACs), premature ventricular contractions...
Diabetic Ketoacidosis (Causes, Symptoms, Treatment, Complications)
Diabetic ketoacidosis (DKA) is a complication of type 1 diabetes that is life threatening. If a person thinks they may have...
Dilated Cardiomyopathy is a condition where the heart's ability to pump blood is decreased because the heart's main pumping...
Drowning (Dry, Wet, Near)
Drowning is a common cause of death and disability worldwide. In the US, it is the third most common cause of accidental death....
Myocarditis is an inflammation of the heart muscle and can be caused by a variety of infections, conditions, and viruses....
Heart Attacks in Women
Heart disease, particularly coronary artery disease is the leading cause of heart attacks. Women are more likely to die from a...
Wolff-Parkinson-White syndrome is a condition in which abnormal electrical pathways in the heart cause arrhythmias. Symptoms of...
Hypertrophic cardiomyopathy (HCM) affects many people today. Many people with HCM have no symptoms or only minor symptoms, and...
Treatment & Diagnosis
Medications & Supplements
Prevention & Wellness
- Bystanders Key to Cutting Cardiac Arrest Deaths
- AHA News: Are Thrill-Seekers With Heart Conditions Courting Danger?
- CPR Not Always Given at Dialysis Clinics When Needed
- Health Tip: Simple CPR
- The Heartbreaking Truth About Poor Cardiac Arrest Patients
- Why Bystanders Are Less Likely to Give CPR to Women
- Will a Defibrillator 'Vest' Protect Recent Heart Attack Patients?
- 'Million Hearts' Project Aims to Prevent 1 Million Cardiac Crises
- Why So Many Firefighters Die From Cardiac Arrest
- Newer Breathing Tube Might Save More Cardiac Arrest Patients
- Raise the Bar on CPR, Heart Group Says
- When the Heart Stops, Drugs Often to Blame
- Man Was Awake for 90 Minutes During CPR: Report
- Cardiac Defects in Baby Tied to Later Heart Trouble in Moms
- FDA Warns Heart Patients About Antibiotic Clarithromycin
- Bystander Use of Defib Device Doubles Chances of Surviving Cardiac Arrest
- Obesity Might Cause Sudden Cardiac Arrest in the Young
- Don't Count on an American to Do CPR
- Timing of Cardiac Arrest May Affect Survival
- Cardiac Arrest Rare in Young Athletes But Tough to Predict
- Younger People With Diabetes Have 7 Times Greater Risk of Sudden Heart Death
- Many Women Miss Out on Lifesaving CPR
- Music, Video Help Sixth-Graders Master Hands-Only CPR
- Does Sex Really Trigger Cardiac Arrest?
- Rock Legend Tom Petty Dies at 66
- This Mistake Can Cost Athletes' Lives in Cardiac Arrest
- Racial Gap Narrows for Survival of Hospitalized Cardiac Arrest Patients
- Fewer U.S. Dollars Spent on Cardiac Arrest Research: Study
- CPAP Mask Not a Prescription for Heart Troubles
- Fewer Heart Failure Patients Dying of Cardiac Arrest
- Obamacare May Have Slashed Cardiac Arrest Rate in Oregon
- Workers Unprepared for Heart Emergencies on the Job: Survey
- Cardiac Arrest? Someday, Drones May Come to Your Rescue
- Chances of Successful CPR Dwindle as Seniors Age
- Body Cooling May Help Brain After Cardiac Arrest
- When Heart Stops Beating, Survival Better at Specialized Heart Centers
- Just 17 U.S. States Require Defibrillators in Some Schools
- Shocks From Implanted Defibrillators Trigger Health Costs of Their Own
- Implanted Defibrillators Benefit Seniors: Study
- Actress Debbie Reynolds Dies 1 Day After Daughter Carrie Fisher's Death
- On Hospital Wards, Patient Crises May Have 'Domino Effect'
- Quick Shot of Epinephrine Boosts Cardiac Arrest Patients' Survival: Study
- Too Few U.S. Adults Have CPR Training
- Kids With Cardiac Arrest Less Likely to Survive CPR at Night
- Powerful Cancer Drugs Linked to Rare Heart Risks
- Cooling Therapy Might Not Help All Cardiac Arrest Patients
- Progress Against Heart Deaths Starting to Wane, Report Warns
- Men Face Greater Risk of Cardiac Arrest: Study
- Inherited Cholesterol Disorder Significantly Boosts Heart Risks
- Women Get Worse Cardiac Arrest Care Than Men: Study
- Delaying 2nd Shock After Cardiac Arrest Won't Boost Survival: Study
- Statewide Training on Cardiac Arrest Saves Lives in N. Carolina
- Women in Cardiac Arrest May Be Less Likely to Receive Help
- NBA Players Putting Their Hearts Into Medical Research
- High-Rise Living May Lower Your Chances of Surviving Cardiac Arrest
- Sudden Cardiac Arrest May Not Be So Sudden
- Hearts Entombed With Loved Ones Give Clues to Cardiac Disease Centuries Ago
- Lowering Body Temperature May Help Cardiac Arrest Patients
- Sex Is Safe for Heart Patients With a Defibrillator
- New Advisory Says Some Athletes With Heart Conditions OK to Play
- When Bystanders Give CPR Right Away, Lives Are Saved, Study Shows
- Blacks at Higher Risk of Sudden Cardiac Arrest Than Whites: Study
- Make CPR, Defibrillator Training Mandatory for High School Graduation: Experts
- Too Few Older Heart Attack Patients Get Implanted Defibrillators, Study Finds
- Bystander CPR Linked to Better Outcomes After Cardiac Arrest
- COPD Tied to Raised Risk for Sudden Cardiac Death
- Cooling After Cardiac Arrest May Help Preserve Brain Function
- Fit at 50? Cardiac Arrest During Exercise Unlikely, Study Finds
- 72,000 Cases of Public Defibrillators Failing in Past Decade, FDA Says
- Study Questions Safety of Adrenaline Shots for Cardiac Arrest
- More Advanced Emergency Care May Be Worse for Cardiac Arrest Victims: Study
- Chasing, Tackling Suspects Raises Cops' Odds of Sudden Death
- Are Women More Likely to Survive Cardiac Arrest?
- CPR Phone Guidance Boosts Cardiac Arrest Survival, Study Says
- Athletic Trainers' Group Advises Heart Tests for Young Athletes
- Sudden Cardiac Death a Risk for Women Living Near Major Roads: Study
- Comedian Joan Rivers Dies at Age 81
- Why Is Joan Rivers in a Medically Induced Coma?
- Add Heart Test to High School Athletes' Screening, Cardiologists Say
- Dispatcher-Assisted CPR Boosts Cardiac Arrest Survival in Kids: Study
- Cardiac Arrest During Childbirth More Common Than Thought: Study
- Could You Work the Device That Restarts Hearts?
- FDA Renews Warning on HeartStart Defibrillator Failures
- Sudden Cardiac Arrest May Have Early Warning Signs
- Researchers: Protein Linked to Sudden Cardiac Death
- Sports-Related Sudden Death More Likely to Occur in Men: Study
- Fitness Club Best Place for Cardiac Arrest Survival: Study
- Cooling Treatment for Cardiac Arrest Underused in Hospitals: Study
- James Gandolfini's Death From Heart Trouble at 51 a Sign of the Times
- What to Do When Lightning Strikes
- Costlier Heart Device May Not Be Worth It, Study Suggests
- Estrogen Levels Tied to Risk for Sudden Cardiac Death in Study
- Heart Scarring May Be More Dangerous Than Thought, Study Suggests
- FDA Proposes Tighter Regulation of Public Defibrillators
- Implanted Heart Devices Have Real-World Benefits: Study
- Survival Tripled for Hospitalized U.S. Kids With Cardiac Arrest
- Smoking Doubles Women's Sudden Death Risk
- Patients More Likely to Survive In-Hospital Cardiac Arrest Today: Study
- Women Don't Fare as Well as Men With Implanted Defibrillators: Study
- Body Temperature May Matter After Cardiac Arrest
- People With Implantable Defibrillators May Need More Mental Health Support
- Thin Placenta Might Be Linked to Sudden Cardiac Death Later in Life
- Longer Resuscitation After Cardiac Arrest May Be Warranted, Study Suggests
- Survival More Likely With Exercise-Related Cardiac Arrest: Study
- Implantable Defibrillators Linked to Decline in Cardiac Arrests
- Coordinated Care Boosts Cardiac Arrest Survival: Study
- Post-Op Delirium's Toll on Mental Function May Linger: Study
- Study Spots Early Warning Signal for Sudden Cardiac Death
- Raising HDL Levels May Not Lower Heart Attack Risk
- People With HIV at Higher Odds of Sudden Cardiac Death
- Lifesaving Defibrillators Often Not Nearby When Needed
- Blacks Less Likely to Get Help on Scene After Cardiac Arrest: Study
- Pot Belly Boosts Risk of Sudden Cardiac Death: Study
- Living Near Major Roads May Shorten Heart Attack Survival
- Tasers Can Trigger Fatal Heart Trouble: Study
- Heart Test Spots Sudden Death Risk in Young Athletes
- Hospital Charges Show Huge Variance in Study
- Study Pinpoints New Abnormality in 'Athlete's Heart'
- Study Links 'Body Clock' to Sudden Cardiac Death
- New Guidelines Seek to Prevent Sudden Death in Young Athletes
- Heart Experts Make Boosting Bystander CPR a Priority
- Cardiac Arrest Deaths Down, but Gap Persists
- Carbon Dioxide a Clue in Near-Death Experiences