Patient Comments: Subconjunctival Hemorrhage - Cause

What was the cause of your subconjunctival hemorrhage? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Rockhead, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: November 04

I sneezed while hunched over trimming toenails and got subconjunctival hemorrhage. Lesson learned: sit up before sneezing.

Comment from: Surfrider, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: August 22

I have been suffering from subconjunctival hemorrhages (SHCs) for several decades. They occur in the same place every time, in the corner of my left eye. I was diagnosed with weak capillaries in the eyes. The SCHs occur when my blood gets thin; by eating garlic, cumin, too much Omega-3, etc. So I stay away from these foods.

Comment from: eiche43, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: February 09

I am dealing with an eating disorder. Mainly it is bulimia and occasional days of starving. After asking and doing some research I feel confident the bloodshot redness (subconjunctival hemorrhage) in mainly my right eye but lately left as well is due to the extreme violent strain I am putting on abdominal area as I vomit. I am working with professionals to tackle the disorder but I wonder if it is okay to use eye drops or just splash water in eyes as needed or is that will worsen it. Usually the eye feels irritated and dry and even painful to blink at times.

Comment from: girl, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: December 06

I think the subconjunctival hemorrhage happened after I went on a run, I pushed myself a bit. Then a couple of hours afterward I looked in the mirror and saw my right eye all bloody on the whole right side. Today it has spread over more of my eye and it feels irritated. My sister had this happen in both eyes after reacting to an anesthetic in the hospital. It's so gross! I hate it!

Comment from: Dasneezequeen, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 20

I got subconjunctival hemorrhage from having violent fits of sneezing and coughing. Almost the entire white of my eye was red, and even before the coughing and sneezing stopped it went away. I think it is the first time it happened. It was pretty gnarly looking.

Comment from: peachy, Published: February 04

I drank a lot of water and energy drinks for dengue. And of course I visited a doctor and had several tests on platelet counts.

Comment from: dawnaj10, Female (Patient) Published: October 09

I got mine after taking Nasacort nasal spray, which has steroids. I took my first dose and found the subconjunctival hemorrhages within an hour of taking it.

Comment from: 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 25

I had been plagued by at least four subconjunctival hemorrhages a year for the past ten years. I had been to ophthalmologists, physicians, etc., to ensure there were no serious underlying causes. Last year my eye doctor realized that I had been on Retin-A for acne for about ten years which causes a very drying effect on the eyes even though I had not applied it anywhere near the eyes. I have been using eye wetting solution every morning and every night and have not had a sub conjunctival hemorrhage since.

Comment from: Harry, Male (Patient) Published: July 18

I got my subconjunctival hemorrhage from diving to the bottom of a lake as part of a lifesaving drill. Both eyes were affected, but one took its time healing, whereas the other healed rather quickly.

Comment from: MarriedLady, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 08

I got my subconjunctival hemorrhage when I was washing the car and then somebody passed by, then steered right into me, leaving me coughing all the dust that he had raised up.

Comment from: Susanne, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 05

I got my subconjunctival hemorrhage under both eyes and in both eyes from being sick, and convulsive vomiting during the night. I woke in the morning with this problem. First time it has ever happened to me at 60 years of age. Looks terrible but it doesn't hurt and applying concealer is helping. I just hope it goes away soon.

Comment from: Jeff, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: May 21

I got my subconjunctival hemorrhage in both eyes from being sick and forcefully vomiting all day. First time it has ever happened to me at 33 years of age.

Comment from: chef ray, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: November 20

I had a caustic cleaning chemical splashed into my eye. I didn't wash it out according to prescribed length of time and damaged the surface of my eye. All things went downhill from there. The next day, blood vessels broke and an infection ensued. Doctors washed my eye out the right way, unfortunately, too late! The chemical did its damage!

Comment from: FormerGardener, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 14

With blackflies and black soldier flies in my garden and pyoderma gangrene with a staph infection on my leg, I went out and gardened. I was stung and developed larva in the wound. With doctors that refused to believe I had larva, I am now developing river blindness. The larva are eating the white part of my eyes. Eventually they will do so much damage I will be blinded. Both doxycycline and ivermectin are not killing enough of the larva. Because the doctors treating it don't really believe I have this, they are not being aggressive enough. I am probably going to be blinded soon.

Comment from: blindedbythelight, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

I was driving my car in blinding sunlight for at least a half hour. I had no sunglasses with me and suddenly felt my left eye really hurting most likely from the sun and straining my eyes so as to prevent myself from getting into a driving accident. As I got off the exit ramp I felt my eye burst like a spatter effect and I immediately looked into my mirror and saw that my eye was blood red. I have never had this happen in my life. Then, my friends told me that I had a blood vessel burst and it would go away in 10 to 14 days. I have low blood pressure and the only change in my life was a flu shot that I had a week prior to the incident. So I'm just going to chalk it up to the sun as my gut instinct.

Comment from: meateye, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 05

I've had problems with subconjunctival hemorrhages in the past. Actually I went 2 or 3 years without having any. But now it's started up again. I've had 2 within past 2 weeks. Usually I have low blood pressure, but now I'm starting to get really worried, I had some light-headedness this past week also. I also have allergies. I was working outside, laying mulch, lifting heavy shovels full of mulch for several hours the past couple days, too.

Comment from: 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 03

I woke up this morning with subconjunctival hemorrhage in my right eye. I have no idea why it occurred because all I did was sleep. But in one week I have sprained an ankle, chipped a tooth, gotten a face rash, and now this ugly thing.

Comment from: Lynn, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 23

I drove to a higher elevation (5,000 ft.) and a friend noticed I had a broken blood vessel in my eye.

Comment from: Rachel, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

I've had subconjunctival hemorrhage multiple times, maybe 4 to 5 a year. Today's is by far the worse. All I did was barely touch a Q-Tip to my right eye to get a speck of mascara out. I have done this before with no adverse effects. The blood actually went on both sides of the pupil and pooled in the front lower part beneath the sclera. I have had pain in my eyes at various times over the last few years.

Comment from: Aussie, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: August 23

I drank too much, which caused my subconjunctival hemorrhage. I fell asleep and then woke up to myself vomiting around 3 a.m. The next morning, a quarter of my left eye was bright red.

Comment from: tonyccc, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: May 13

I had subconjunctival hemorrhage several times and it usually goes within 12 days. It clears outside first and closer to the eye ball last. The only precaution you take is not to have a hot bath because your blood pressure goes up and worsens the problem, and to avoid alcohol for the same reason.

Comment from: Martha, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 15

I have recurring uveitis. Every time I get the steroid injection, I get a burst blood vessel in that eye. My problem is that I can't use the prednisolone drops until two days after the burst blood vessel; as the drops feel like I just put soil in my eye.

Comment from: Dagvb, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 06

I had a hard workout with heavy lifting and cardio intervals with a trainer and woke up with a subconjunctival hemorrhage.

Comment from: DEN, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 27

I am not sure what caused my subconjunctival hemorrhage but I had bad hay fever and took an antihistamine in the afternoon. I also had a massage meaning I was lying on my stomach for quite a while. I have had this hemorrhage a few times before. It also seems to happen if my eyes get dry, which happens easily when hay fever season starts.

Comment from: blablaboo, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: September 17

Vomitting from sickness was the cause of my subconjunctival hemorrhage. The next morning my left eye showed redness, and it grew into a larger size throughout the day.

Comment from: tomass4891, 45-54 Male (Caregiver) Published: March 22

My mother woke up this morning with hemorrhaging. She did not cough or vomit. I researched this and nothing indicates she would have a blown eye blood vessel. Any ideas?

Comment from: 7-12 Male (Caregiver) Published: November 15

My 8 year old had this occur after vomiting several times during the night. It was not until about a day later we noticed the blood - and it progressively got more obvious and also occurred on the other side. Never had occurred with previous vomiting. Doctor said not to worry about it - no treatment required.

Subscribe to MedicineNet's General Health Newsletter