Patient Comments: Sty (Stye) - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with a sty (stye). Submit Your Comment

Comment from: JJ, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 03

I noticed a stye following the holidays. Perhaps stress related. It quickly transferred to my other eye. I went to an ophthalmologist who was shocked when he saw me. In addition to two sties I had cellulitis. He felt it was caused from old mascara. He treated me with an oral antibiotic and antibiotic eye drops. He also told me that if the largest stye ruptured I was to call him immediately as this indicated an emergency and required cleaning out and curettage. I'm so glad I sought professional help. After day 4 I am still not able to be seen in public. There is still swelling plus the redness has now encircled one eye. My advice is to seek professional help.

Comment from: jessica, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: October 28

I am 19 years old. I have been getting stye since I was 13 years old. I was not aware about stye but I used to wrap a boiled egg with a piece of cloth and press it in the affected area. It used to relieve my pain. Then it used to go within 3 to 4 days. It used to occur rarely, but now it occurs every few months. I did not know its causes but now I guess it was due to stress. It pops out whenever there is anything important such as during my college programs, exams or any other function. It makes me look sick and I don't feel energetic. This is my experience with stye and I hope I stop getting it again.

Comment from: dorisjp42, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 06

I recently went to the eye doctor for a stye that has persisted since July. I think it is making me physically ill. The eye doctor said to use the compresses because this forces the white blood cells to the infected area. You must be persistent. He also prescribed a small dose of doxycycline. As painful and frustrating as they are, I have lived with them my whole life, and I'm 44 now. Ask your doctor about the right treatment. If you feel you are not getting the treatment you need, go elsewhere.

Comment from: auntbea67, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 31

Whenever I'm stressed out, here comes a stye. I finally found out why I've been sick for 15 years: I have Fibromyalgia, so I'm wondering if that has something to do with the styes. I've had them pop up every so often and had to get one lanced. I think the one I have now will have to be lanced, too, as I've had it for a month now and it won't go away. It is embarrassing; someone always feels the need to point it out, as if I didn't know it was there. I'd love to find a way to not get one, but until then, I've resolved to the idea that they are here to pop up whenever they choose.

Comment from: Strawberry sundae, 19-24 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 13

I'm a 22 year old female pharmacy student. I just recently got a stye on the inner corner of the upper lid of the eye, and I must say, it is probably the most painful and irritating feeling I have felt on my eye. I have been wearing eye make-up almost everyday for the past 3 years and hardly ever forget to wash it off before sleeping and this is the first time I have gotten a stye (I slept with my make-up on the night before). I'm currently under a lot of exam stress, and realized this is probably another reason for this "popping up.” I'm using sulphactamide eye ointment (this should not be used in people with sulphur allergy), the stye seems to be "ripening" but I find it really hard to apply the ointment and let it stay on the eye. I think a drop version will be a better option. I hope this heals and does not reoccur, but from my pharmacy notes, I have read that continuing to apply the sulphactamide ointment for a month after healing should prevent reoccurrence. I hope it heals quickly as it really hurts when I blink and I can wear may eye make-up again, n this time NEVER forgetting to wash it off before sleeping.

Comment from: hickown, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: July 17

I am a 13 year old female. this is my first stye and it is very aggravating. right before i got this thing me an my sister were doing our make up an we shared her lash curler. not only that caused my stye but being under alot of pressure an stress contributed to this. for the past 2 or 3 years i have been using make up an have not washed it off or anything before i went to sleep these previous years. i do believe this is a conributer as well. i stared having eye pains an very waatery eyes 3 days ago. i was use to this bc i have bad allergies. then i noticed swelling 2 days ago. since then i have had a sensitivities to lights and it is very irritating. this morning it was almost swollen shut. but since this evening i had been putting a warm cloth over my eye an it seemed to help the swelling. if you are a young teenage girl=, please dont share eye brushes eyeliners mascara lash curlers ect. WASH OFF YOUR MAKE UP BEFORE SLEEPING.

Comment from: Anna, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: July 09

This is my third sty this year.I get it the next day I touch/rub my eyes with dirty hands. I guess I have very sensitive eyes. Unfortunately for my eye health, I have very very thick and long eyelashes, and you can barely see the bump, but it hurts really bad. It fades away after 2 days or so, and I hope this one I have right now does that as well.

Comment from: therandomdude, 13-18 Male (Patient) Published: April 17

It started out pretty small and wasn't a problem at all. The only real problem was that my tear dot felt a bit itchy even though the sty was inside the eyelid. To see it, I had to flip my eyelid a bit. But then it started getting bigger and closing my eyes rapidly or blinking became an annoyance. It didn't hurt having it there – it was just a small annoyance.

Published: July 28

I am 28 years old, and have been suffering from styes for the past 4 years. It is a real hassle in my life. I use a wet hot rag on my eyes 3-6 times a day for the past 4 years; to prevent my eyes from swelling and filling up with matter. I also wash my eyes out twice a day with baby shampoo. I have been to many different doctors and they all tell me to do the same thing. There has got to be another treatment alternative in the 21st century; that does rely on hot washcloths.

Published: July 23

Fourteen months ago my husband had a brain hemorrhage and a stroke. I felt so strong during the month he was in neuroscience ICU and on a respirator and had tubes coming out of every part of his body. They did three brain surgeries and prepared me for the fact that he was not going to make it. I have always had a stress disorder. However we are not financially doomed. I am so depressed and can't seem to stop having flash backs of almost losing him. He made it but in some aspects is not the same.

Comment from: lol1234, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 06

I have had a stye for one week. My stye was positive for MRSA. I have had two MRSA infections in the past three months. I am under a lot of stress and have systemic lupus. My suggestion is: If you have a stye that doesn't go away, consider MRSA, which can be life-threatening.

Comment from: Ala, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 06

I suffered from styes a lot growing up. I used to have one after the other. The only thing that took care of them forever was a seven-day course of injections (not sure what they were ... they were supposed to boost my immune system). That worked.

Comment from: Antonia, 7-12 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 16

I have a 7-year-old who is going on her fourth sty in about two months. I also put the warm compresses and have been prescribed an ointment to put on that helps drain them a little. I feel I do the best that I can to prevent them, but it is hard to keep a 7-year-old from touching her face. It is very uncomfortable for her, never mind the way they look. I try to let her wear sunglasses to keep from touching them. I have contacted her doctor again, and they say there is nothing they can give her to help them from coming back. It's very frustrating.

Comment from: char, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 25

I am a 60 year old female and experiencing my first sty on my lower eyelid. I used prescription eye drops for the infection in my eye and then antibiotics. It is very slowly getting a bit smaller but is still red around the edges and very white and looks like a very large white head. I too have been told by both my doctor and my ophthalmologist to do the hot compresses and so far it is looking the same. My ophthalmologist said that he would not lance it until it got very hard if it didn't go away on its own. It is very interesting that there is nothing to dry something like this up.

Comment from: Yolandam, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 25

I am a 49 year old female. I had my first stye earlier this year and now again. I am on antibiotic ointment as well as Cloxacillin, as I have type 2 diabetes and do not want to risk complications. I use warm compresses 3-4 times daily, which does alleviate the pain. I am under a lot of stress as we are moving and have a daughter with serious health problems. I am hoping that it will clear up within a week, as my previous stye did. It is very red, swollen, painful and my vision is blurred. I definitely recommend seeing a doctor because eye problems should not be neglected.

Comment from: mariia isabel, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 25

I had a stye for twelve days. My doctor prescribed antibiotics, warm compresses and an ointment. I still have a big red bump on my right eye. Tomorrow an ophthalmologist will make a small incision to drain it. It is very uncomfortable and ugly.

Comment from: ouchystye, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 21

I have had this stye since the last week in July. I followed the hot compress technique with an optical antibiotic. The doctor checked me on Monday of this week and said the stye was going away. Uh, no. It has come back even worse than before! It is painful to blink, and my eye is really hurting. I'm going back to the doctor today, and I hope that they will lance it, which I originally asked them to do.

Comment from: Molly, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: August 21

I am now 53 years of age. When I was growing up, from the age of 5 until I was in my teenage years, I had two styes on each eye lid at a time. It looked as if someone had hit me. It was very hard to see out of my eyes, and I spent a lot of time away from school. I remember they were very painful and sore, and as soon as one eye would clear up, the other would get styes.

Comment from: 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 06

I am a 61-year-old woman who has never had a stye before this year. I developed a very bad virus in early January of this year. At that time, I complained to my doctor about pain in my left eye and that both of my eyes appeared to be red around the area of my eyelashes. I was told nothing was wrong. My left eye looked sleepy and the people I work with commented how tired I always looked. I visited an eye doctor and was also told nothing was wrong. Finally, in early July, I saw another eye doctor and was told I had Blepharitis and was put on a course of steroid drops and eye cream along with washing my eyelids at night with a baby shampoo solution. After three weeks, I returned to the eye doctor and was told I had a stye under my lid. The doctor drained the stye and now I look like I had a fight and lost. My left eye is terribly swollen, very black and blue and still oozing a little blood.

Published: July 09

I have experienced a plethora of styes in my lifetime. When I get them, they are huge, red, extremely sore, and often need antibiotics from a doctor. These kinds of styes are so big that I have difficulty seeing out of the infected eye. I use hot compresses, "stye eye" drops, and often an ointment to get rid of them, but they often last for several weeks.

Published: July 01

I had what appeared to be a sty right at the base of lower eyelashes. It had pus under the surface, but it stayed there for three or four years. There was no pain or swelling. After three or four years, the sty began to rupture on its own. I did express the pus. The consistency of the pus was very oily and slippery, very hard to grasp. After the main oil plug was removed, the sty started to drain more freely on its own and it was easier to express the contents. After putting an optical antibiotic ointment on it at bedtime, the sty was 97 percent gone after 24 hours of the initial rupture.

Published: June 26

I am 50 years old and have just recovered from what I was told was an internal sty. It looked like a red bump on my lower eyelid, but I noticed a white bump inside the lid. I had it about two days with a little discomfort, when on the second night I awoke to pain around my eyeball. I got up and used a very warm compress over and over for an hour and a half. As it was a comforting relief of the pain. The next morning I had to be at a hospital for a family member. The sty decided to break there. It ran all over my eyeball all day and was painful, but there was nothing I could do about it till I got home. I just dotted it with kleenex. A doctor that was attending my relative suggested I get an antibiotic ointment. When I got home, (later that night) I cleaned my eye, (it was already feeling better.) and it continued to heal without any medication. I still have a small white bump inside my eyelid, that I am waiting to go away. It's embarrassing. Everyone thought I was contagious and would not touch me or any of my belongings. (Except for the doctor I met). I washed my hands every chance I had and tried to never touch it.

Comment from: 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: November 10

I have had styes all of my life. I have had to have surgery on one of them. Can you say painful? I get them every summer: about two or three of them. They pop on their own after about two weeks.

Comment from: mdbrown3, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 13

I too have been dealing with styes. I first experienced a stye when I was 14, almost 25 years ago. The doctor eventually lanced the stye. Now, I just had one about 3 weeks ago and it went away in about a week and a half. Now, it is back and larger than before, however, I don't have any pain with it, it is more of cosmetic problem for me because of the sight of it. I am wondering if it is chalazion instead of a stye this time. However, this stye did appear after some severe stress issues.

Published: July 29

I woke up this morning with a pain in the corner of my left eye. It hurts to move my eye up or down or to the sides. I didn't know styes could be caused by stress and lately I have been under a lot of stress.

Subscribe to MedicineNet's General Health Newsletter