Patient Comments: Stroke - Signs


Did you notice warning signs before you had a stroke? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Jimbo, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: July 28

Warning signs of stroke! Heavens, I'd had them for over 18 months and didn't even know it. Now I know the whole story. I'd been having lightheadedness, speech disturbances (although I didn't notice them, reported to me by family and friends), episodes of (so unlike me) weird behavior, and finally, my vision would 'star up' and I'd feel like I was going to faint. Finally, the vision and fainting symptoms were too much to ignore, and I saw my general physician, who listened to both sides of my neck for bruits (noises caused by disturbed circulation); he sent me to the hospital that very same afternoon for an ultrasound of both carotid arteries. Sure enough, the blockage was rated at 90 plus percent, and the next morning I found myself admitted through the emergency room for surgery. They did an endarterectomy on my right carotid, and after a long period of recovery from the surgery, I'm finally ok. The vascular/neuro surgery team said it takes about 5 years for a carotid to become blocked; but the terrible thing is you don't know when that 5-year clock starts ticking, and the symptoms get worse very subtly over a long period of time. The advice given on this web site is wise; do not ignore it. If I had the past 40 years to live all over again, I'd watch my diet and make sure I exercised.

Comment from: Cathy, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: July 14

Prior to having a stroke, I had a severe headache, worst one ever experienced and extreme sensitivity to light.

Comment from: old is new, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 17

I had an unusual type of headache and severe pulsating pain in right shoulder continuing up the neck to my head, resulting in basal ganglia stroke.

Comment from: lizineaston, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 16

It was 8 pm, and all of a sudden I was very tired. I told my husband I was going to bed. I went upstairs, put on my night clothes and suddenly got a terrible pain in the pack of my head which radiated to my ears. I knew something was wrong. I went to my husband's night stand and got two aspirin and swallowed them. I headed for the bathroom, was walking into walls to get there. I called for my husband. He came upstairs, could not understand what I was saying. He called 911, the emergency medical technicians (EMTs) came while he was on the phone with 911 operator. I was rushed 6 blocks to the hospital. In minutes I had a CT scan and was given the clot buster drug. In less than an hour my speech was much improved. I had some weakness in my left arm. That was a Wednesday, by the following Friday afternoon I went home. Seven weeks later I am 95% improved.

FDA Logo

Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration

You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

Subscribe to MedicineNet's Heart Health Newsletter

By clicking Submit, I agree to the MedicineNet's Terms & Conditions & Privacy Policy and understand that I may opt out of MedicineNet's subscriptions at any time.