Patient Comments: Stroke - Treatment

What kind of treatment did you have after a stroke? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: bigred1991, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 09

I was at a business function and felt a sudden, rapid, weakness in my lower left leg for a fraction of a second. It felt like I had an extra body joint between my knee and ankle. I then experienced syncope (fainting) and collapsed for 1-2 seconds. Upon awakening, my friends helped me into a chair and I asked them to call 911. Within 5 minutes my entire left arm and leg became paralyzed. I asked my friend for some aspirin tabs that I always carry in my briefcase and rapidly chewed 650mg. In about 15 minutes the paramedics arrived and my blood pressure was 237/134. In the next 5 minutes the function returned entirely to my left arm and leg. After being attached to monitoring equipment I was rushed to a hospital (nearby stroke center) for tests and diagnosed with a TIA. I was kept overnight and released. My post TIA medicine consists of daily 325mg enteric aspirin together with 200IU vitamin E for blood thinning, Diovan 40mg for hypertension, and Zocor 10 mg for hypercholesterol. I am now early retired and healthy for the past 18 months.

Comment from: Robert, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: October 09

Comment from: Cricket, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: October 09

My father had a stroke about 4 months ago, and since then he has been somewhat paralyzed on his right side from head to toe. However, he constantly has tingling on the same side, and he says it never goes away, but sometimes is more aggravating than other times. He takes aspirin, blood pressure medications, and cholesterol medicine. He is also diabetic, and takes medicine for that. I am very concerned about this constant tingling. Is this really normal or is he constantly having mini stokes or TIA? His doctor seems to think it is nothing, and only from the first stoke.

View Understanding Stroke Slideshow Pictures