Stroke is the third leading killer in the United States. Some of the warning signs of stroke include sudden confusion, trouble seeing with one or both eyes, dizziness, loss of balance, and more. Stroke prevention and reatable risk factors for stroke include lowering high blood pressure, quit smoking, heart disease, diabetes control and prevention. Read more: Stroke Prevention Article
Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
Stroke Causes, Symptoms, and Recovery
What is a stroke? Learn about stroke symptoms like sudden numbness or weakness, confusion, vision problems, or problems with...
Stroke Quiz: Test Your Medical IQ
Take the Stroke Quiz to learn about stroke risks, causes, treatment, and most importantly, prevention....
High Cholesterol (Hyperlipidemia) Quiz: Test Your Medical IQ
High cholesterol can be a dangerous condition. Take the Cholesterol Quiz to understand what high cholesterol means in terms of...
Salt Quiz: Test Your Diet IQ
Do you love salt? Take the online Salt Quiz to get the facts about dietary salts and sodium in fruits, vegetables, processed...
Heart Disease Quiz: Test Your Medical IQ
Take our Heart Disease Quiz to get answers and facts about high cholesterol, atherosclerosis prevention, and the causes,...
The 18 Most Expensive U.S. Medical Conditions
What are the most expensive medical conditions? Learn about heart conditions, brain disorders, back pain and many more expensive...
Screening Tests Every Man Should Have
Getting the right screening test at the right time is one of the most important things a man can do for his health. Learn at what...
The Benefits of Omega 3 Foods on Heart Health
What are the benefits of omega 3 fatty acids? Learn how Omega 3 rich foods like fish oil, salmon, walnuts, & more can boost brain...
Benefits of Exercise: Fitness Facts Prove the Benefits of Working Out
These fitness facts explain why to get in shape. Check out these health facts on the benefits of exercise....
Related Disease Conditions
14 Signs and Symptoms of Stroke (FAST)
Stroke is a serious medical condition. If you think you or someone you know is having a stroke call 911 immediately. There...
Diabetes (Type 1 and Type 2)
Diabetes is a chronic condition characterized by high levels of sugar (glucose) in the blood. The two types of diabetes are...
Stroke vs. Mini-Stroke (TIA)
A stroke or "brain attack" occurs when a blood clot or artery ruptures within the brain. The rupture or clot causes...
How the Heart Works
The heart is a very important organ in the body. It is responsible for continuously pumping oxygen and nutrient-rich blood...
Stroke (Signs, Symptoms, Warning Signs)
A stroke is an interruption of the blood supply to part of the brain caused by either a blood clot (ischemic) or bleeding...
Polycythemia (High Red Blood Cell Count)
Polycythemia (elevated red blood cell count) is a rare blood disease in which the body produces too many red blood cells....
Blood clots can occur in the venous and arterial vascular system. Blood clots can form in the heart, legs, arteries, veins,...
High Blood Pressure (Hypertension) Signs, Causes, Diet, and Treatment
High blood pressure (hypertension) is a disease in which pressure within the arteries of the body is elevated. About 75 million...
How to Lower Triglycerides Naturally
Trigylcerides are fatty molecules that travel in the bloodstream. Excess sugar and fat can increase triglyceride levels....
Heart disease (coronary artery disease) occurs when plaque builds up in the coronary arteries, the vessels that supply blood to...
Nausea and Vomiting (Causes, Natural Remedies, Diet, Medication)
Nausea is an uneasiness of the stomach that often precedes vomiting. Nausea and vomiting are not diseases, but they are symptoms...
High Blood Pressure Treatment (Natural Home Remedies, Diet, Medications)
High blood pressure (hypertension) means high pressure (tension) in the arteries. Treatment for high blood pressure include...
High Blood Sugar (Glucose, Hyperglycemia)
Hyperglycemia or high blood sugar is a serious health problem for diabetics. There are two types of hyperglycemia, 1) fasting,...
Head Injury (Brain Injury)
In the United States, head injuries are one of the most common causes of death and disability. Head injuries due to bleeding are...
Brain Lesions (Lesions on the Brain)
A brain lesion is defined as an area of damaged brain. Brain lesions (lesions on the brain) are caused by: trauma,...
Transient Ischemic Attack (TIA, Mini-Stroke)
When a portion of the brain loses blood supply, through a blood clot or embolus, a transient ischemic attack (TIA, mini-stroke)...
Symptoms of 12 Serious Diseases and Health Problems
Learn how to recognize early warning signs and symptoms of serious diseases and health problems, for example, chronic cough,...
Myxedema (Crisis) Coma
Myxedema (crisis) coma is the loss of brain function due to severe longstanding low levels of thyroid hormone in the blood....
Sleep Disorders (How to Get a Good Night's Sleep)
A number of vital tasks carried out during sleep help maintain good health and enable people to function at their best. Sleep...
Abnormal Heart Rhythms (Heart Rhythm Disorders)
Heart rhythm disorders vary from minor palpitations, premature atrial contractions (PACs), premature ventricular contractions...
Atrial Fibrillation Symptoms (AFib Warning Signs)
Atrial fibrillation or AFib is a type of hear rhythm abnormality. Early warning signs and symptoms of atrial fibrillation...
Atrial Fibrillation (AFib) Symptoms, ECG, and Treatment Medications
Atrial fibrillation (AF or AFib) is an abnormality in the heart rhythm which involves irregular and often rapid beating of the...
Alzheimer's disease is a common cause of dementia. Symptoms and warning signs of Alzheimer's disease include memory loss,...
Smoking (How to Quit Smoking)
Smoking is an addiction. More than 430,000 deaths occur each year in the U.S. from smoking related illnesses. Secondhand smoke or...
Low Cholesterol Diet
Cholesterol is naturally produced by the body, and is a building block for cell membranes and hormones. Low-density lipoprotein...
Preventing Diabetes Naturally (Type 2, Diet, Causes, Symptoms)
Prediabetes is a condition in which a person has early symptoms of diabetes, but have not yet fully developed the condition. If...
Heart Attack vs. Stroke Symptoms, Differences, and Similarities
Heart attack usually is caused by a clot that stops blood flow supplying oxygen to an area of heart muscle, which results in...
Migraine and Stroke (Symptoms, Types, Causes, Treatment)
Migraine headache is a type of headache in which the exact cause is not known; however, they may be inherited, and certain...
Heart Attacks in Women
Heart disease, particularly coronary artery disease is the leading cause of heart attacks. Women are more likely to die from a...
Lewy Body Dementia (Dementia with Lewy Bodies)
Lewy body dementia (LBD or dementia with Lewy bodies) is one the most common causes of dementia. There are two types of LBD: 1)...
Coma is the inability to waken or react to the surrounding environment. The Glasgow Coma Scale is frequently used to measure the...
Snoring is caused by the vibrations of the soft tissues at the back of the nose and throat while a person sleeps. There are many...
Stroke vs Aneurysm (Differences and Similarities)
A stroke or "brain attack" is caused because blood flow to an area of the brain has been cut off by a blood clot or by a weakened...
Endovascular coiling is a procedure that is used to treat brain aneurysms. The procedure is an alternative to surgical clipping....
Heart Attack Prevention
Heart disease and heart attacks can be prevented by leading a healthy lifestyle with diet, exercise, and stress management....
Disease Prevention in Men
Disease prevention in men includes routine screening tests that are part of basic prevention medicine. Take an active role in...
Heart Attack Prevention Overview
Heart attacks are the major causes of unexpected, sudden death among men and women. A heart attack also is a significant cause...
Treatment & Diagnosis
Medications & Supplements
- ACE Inhibitors (Side Effects, List of Names, Uses, and Dosage)
- aspirin (acetylsalicylic acid, Bayer, Ecotrin, and others)
- Vasodilators (Drug Class Side Effects, List of Names)
- losartan (Cozaar)
- Aspirin vs. Plavix (clopidogrel)
- atorvastatin (Lipitor) vs. simvastatin (Zocor)
- Zocor (simvastatin) vs. Crestor (rosuvastatin)
- clopidogrel (Plavix)
- alteplase (TPA, Activase, Cathflo Activase)
- Coumadin vs. Plavix (Differences and Similarities)
- Ibuprofen and Plavix (Side Effects and Interactions)
- Aspirin Therapy (Guidelines for Heart Attack and Stroke Prevention)
- Aspirin vs. Eliquis (apixaban)
- Aspirin vs. Aleve (Naproxen)
- Aspirin vs. Xarelto (rivaroxaban)
- ticlopidine, Ticlid (discontinued brand in the US)
- Aspirin vs. warfarin (Coumadin, Jantoven)
Prevention & Wellness
- Scientists Bring Pig's Brain, Dead 4 Hours, Back to 'Cellular Activity'
- Experimental Blood Thinner May Help Prevent Stroke, Without the Bleeding Risk
- Could Very Low 'Bad' Cholesterol Bring Stroke Danger?
- Moderate Drinking Increases Stroke Risk
- Health Tip: Daily Aspirin Therapy
- AHA News: Genetic Testing Helps Family Uncover Inherited Heart Condition
- AHA News: Which Diet Keeps Your Heart Healthy?
- Stay Away From Sugary Sodas, Spare Your Heart
- Heart-Breaking News for Egg Lovers
- Despite Big Heart Benefits, Far Too Many Skip Statins
- AHA News: Young Mom Thought It Was a Heart Attack -- Until She Couldn't Touch Her Nose
- The Saturated Fat Debate Rages On
- Does Your Family Eat Out a Lot? Watch Your Blood Pressure
- Heart Attacks Striking More Young Adults
- Could Olive Oil Help Keep Stroke at Bay for Obese Americans?
- Recipe for a Healthy Heart: Big Breakfasts, Less TV
- Heavier People May Be More Likely to Survive a Stroke
- Actor Luke Perry Dies of Stroke at Age 52
- AHA News: Living Near Convenience Stores Could Raise Risk of Artery-Clogging Condition
- Could Diet Sodas Raise an Older Woman's Stroke Risk?
- AHA News: Many Women Plagued by Anxiety After Stroke
- Strict Blood Pressure Control Could Help Make Stroke Care Safer
- Blood Thinning Drug May Be Safer Option Against Recurrent Stroke
- AHA News: High Blood Pressure Top Risk Factor for Stroke in Young Adults
- Health Tip: Know Your Family's Medical History
- State Prisons Need More Smoking-Cessation Programs: Study
- Is Brexit a Health Hazard?
- An Upbeat Attitude Might Help Prevent 2nd Stroke
- Dirty Air Tied to Raised Risk of Strokes, Shorter Lives
- Flu May Up the Odds of Stroke, Neck Artery Tears
- Another Opioid Scourge: Infection-Related Strokes
- Can Strict Blood Pressure Control Lower Dementia Risk?
- Even Slight Rise in Blood Pressure Might Shrink Young Brains
- Will Healthy Seniors Benefit From Daily Aspirin?
- Stroke, Heart Events Can Sideline You From Work
- Health Tip: Risk Factors for Stroke in Kids
- 1 in 4 People Over 25 Will Be Hit by Stroke
- AHA: New Report Emphasizes Safety of Statins
- Insights Into Women and Stroke Risk
- Too Much Salt Might Help Spur A-Fib
- Botox May Help Prevent Post-Op A-Fib
- FDA Warns of Rare Stroke Risk With MS Drug
- Health Tip: Risk Factors For AFib
- High Blood Pressure in Young Adults Tied to Earlier Strokes
- Health Tip: Tracking High Triglycerides
- Daylight Saving Time Tied to Rise in A-Fib Hospitalizations
- Opioid Use May Sometimes Trigger A-Fib
- One Man's Journey Back From Stroke at 52
- Hospital Infections in Stroke Patients Raise Other Risks
- Vaccine to Stop Recurrent Strokes Shows Promise in Mice
- Does Stroke Run in Your Family? Healthy Living Lowers the Risk
- Stroke Rates Higher Among Pot Users
- Stroke After Heart Attack: Danger May Persist for Months
- Diabetes Drug Might Help Shield the Heart From Smog's Ill Effects
- Study Casts Doubt on Light Drinking's Benefits
- How Much He Sleeps May Affect His Stroke Risk
- Health Tip: Maintain Healthy Cholesterol
- Mediterranean Diet May Cut Stroke Risk for Women, But Not Men
- Fitter Folks Suffer Milder Strokes: Study
- 'Million Hearts' Project Aims to Prevent 1 Million Cardiac Crises
- Even at Low Levels, Toxic Metals Put Heart at Serious Risk: Study
- Is Dairy Due for a 'Heart Health Makeover'?
- Breastfeeding Bonus: Lower Stroke Risk for Mom Years Later
- Smoking May Boost Irregular Heart Beat Risk
- More Evidence That Supplements Won't Help Your Heart
- Health Tip: Use a Blood Thinner Safely
- Fit at Midlife May Mean Healthier Brain, Stronger Heart Later
- NIH Cancels Large Alcohol/Heart Health Study
- Blacks, Hispanics Suffer Second Bleeding Strokes More Often
- New Blood Pressure Rules Could Prevent Many 2nd Strokes: Study
- Tips for Handling a Medical Emergency
- After 'Mini-Stroke,' Drug Combo Could Help Cut Odds for Major Attack
- What You Need to Know About Strokes
- Could Time in a Sauna Lower Your Stroke Risk?
- As Younger Men's Smoking Rises, So Does Their Stroke Risk
- Stroke's Impact May Go Far Beyond the Physical, Study Finds
- NIH Investigating Alcohol Companies' Funding of Study
- Majority of U.S. Adults Have Poor Heart Health: Study
- Magnetic Heart Pump Cuts Risk of Blood Clots, Stroke in Study
- Too Much TV Could Boost Your Odds for a Blood Clot
- Blacks May Face Higher Stroke Risk From AFib
- Short as a Child, Stroke Risk as an Adult?
- Could a Blood Thinner Actually Raise Stroke Risk for Some?
- 'Hole in Heart' Defect May Raise Stroke Risk After Surgery
- Expanded Use of Clot-Removing Procedure Could Change Stroke Care
- Pill Combo May Do More to Reduce Stroke Risk
- Binge-Watchers, Beware: Long TV Time Poses Clot Risk
- Stroke Risk Factors Are Rising
- Uptick in U.S. Stroke Deaths Sets Off Alarms: CDC
- Stroke Rates Drop for U.S. Men, But Not Women
- One Stroke Raises Risk for Another, Even Years Later: Study
- Heart Drug Digoxin May Raise Death Risk for Some Patients: Study
- Many Kids Still Eating Too Much Salt
- Clot Retrieval Device Approval Expanded
- 9 Out of 10 Strokes Could Be Prevented, Study Finds
- Less Heart Care, More Strokes for Women?
- Stroke Hospitalization Down for Many in U.S.
- Post-Stroke Caregiving at Home Tops $11,000 a Year: Study
- Americans Still Consume Too Much Salt: CDC
- Doctors Who Order More Tests Sued Less Often
- Aspirin Use Common Among Americans With Heart Trouble
- Stroke Ages Brain by 8 Years, Study Finds
- Cholesterol Drugs May Lower Stroke Risk for Healthy Older Adults
- Daily Aspirin Taken by More Than Half of Older U.S. Adults
- Packaged Grocery Foods Often High in Salt, Study Finds
- New Stroke Prevention Efforts May Be Paying Off
- Stents Meant to Prevent Stroke May Actually Boost Risk
- Folic Acid May Help Ward Off Stroke in People With High Blood Pressure
- Lower Blood Pressure Reduces First Stroke Risk: Study
- Bed Position Matters for Stroke Patients, Report Shows
- Stroke Prevention Guidelines Emphasize Healthy Lifestyle
- Binge Drinking May Boost Blood Pressure in Young Men
- Dieters May Be Thwarted by Absence of Healthy Foods
- Strokes and the Toll They Take on Younger Adults
- Heart Monitoring May Prevent Some Strokes, Study Suggests
- Stroke Prevention for Women: Start Early
- More Americans Working to Control Blood Pressure, Cholesterol: CDC
- CDC Salt Guidelines Too Low for Good Health, Study Suggests
- Keeping Blood Pressure Low Halves Risk of Second Stroke: Study
- Walking May Cut Stroke Risk in Older Men
- Stroke Affecting Younger People Worldwide, Study Shows
- Vitamin B Supplements May Guard Against Stroke
- Racial and Ethnic Differences Seen in Survival, Care Needs With Certain Strokes
- Women Smokers Face Increased Risk of Lethal Stroke: Review
- Brain Injury May Raise Stroke Risk
- Stroke Prevention Tips for Women
- Blood Transfusions May Mean Fewer Strokes in Kids With Sickle Cell Disease
- Cost of Treating Strokes in U.S. Could Soar to $180B Annually by 2030: Report
- Depression May Boost Stroke Risk in Middle-Aged Women, Too
- Can Green Tea, Coffee Reduce Stroke Risk?
- New Anti-Clotting Drug Beats Warfarin, Study Says
- Can Parents' Divorce Boost Son's Risk for Stroke?
- Heavy Drinkers at Greater Risk for Stroke
- FDA Delays Decision on Blood Thinner Eliquis
- Strokes More Common in Southern States: CDC
- Japanese-American Men With Low Vitamin-D Diet Face Higher Stroke Risk
- Death Rate Dropping for People With Diabetes
- Irregular Heartbeat Poses Greater Stroke Risk for Women Than Men
- Low-Fat Dairy May Help Lower Stroke Risk
- Infection Might Raise Blood Clot Risk for Older Adults: Study
- Warfarin Helps Cut Stroke Risk, Researchers Report
- Health Tip: How to Lower Your Risk of Stroke
- Many Stroke Victims Still Don't Get Treated Fast Enough: Study
- 'Silent Strokes' Linked to Memory Loss in Elderly: Study
- Crossing Legs May Be Sign of Stroke Recovery
- Strokes Rising Among Teens, Young Adults: CDC
- High-Sodium, Low-Potassium Diet Linked to Heart Risk
- Moderate Exercise May Cut Risk of 'Silent' Stroke
- Heart Attacks in the Morning Are More Severe
- Low Health Literacy May Have Deadly Consequences
- Wine, Salt, and Your Heart: Confusion Abounds
- Procedure May Lower Hard-to-Treat Hypertension
- 'Mini-Strokes' May Increase Risk of Heart Attack
- For Multiple Heart Blockages, Bypass Surgery or Stents?
- Apple-Shaped Obesity, Other Forms Equally Risky, Study Finds
- Coffee May Lower Stroke Risk
- Diabetes Risks Go Beyond Heart Attacks, Strokes
- U.S. Breast Cancer Rates No Longer Declining
- Americans Worry About Getting Alzheimer's
- New Guidelines on Women's Heart Risk
- Robots May Help Patients Recover From Stroke
- New Drug Helps Patients With Atrial Fibrillation
- Stroke Takes a Toll on Hollywood Stars
- Clot-Busting Drug May Prevent Disability From Mild Stroke
- Salty Diet Linked to Stroke Risk
- Rare Form of Stroke Affects Young People
- Stroke History of Moms Predicts Risk for Daughters
- Study: African-Americans Live Longer After Stroke
- New Debate on C-Reactive Protein Test and Statins
- CDC: 26 Million Americans Have Diabetes
- Fewer Strokes After Heart Bypass Surgery
- Heart Benefits for Women Who Cut Hypertension
- Strawberries, Blueberries May Ward Off High Blood Pressure
- Alcohol May Raise Risk of Irregular Heart Rhythm
- NSAID Pain Relievers Raise Heart Risks
- More Fried Fish Eaten in 'Stroke Belt'
- Good Cholesterol May Lower Risk of Alzheimer's Disease
- Mercury in Tuna Still a Concern, Consumer Reports Says
- Aspirin Cuts Death Rate From Several Common Cancers
- Healthy Lifestyle May Help Prevent Stroke
- Pill Cuts Rheumatoid Arthritis Symptoms
- Vitamin E Supplements Affect Stroke Risk
- Electrical Brain Stimulation May Raise Math Skills
- Child's Waist Size Indicates Future Health Risks
- Smoking Raises Surgery Risks
- Seizure and Pain Drug May Treat Hot Flashes
- FDA Panel Is Split on Ban of Diet Drug Meridia
- Weight Loss Pill Meridia Raises Heart Attack, Stroke Risks
- Migraines With Aura May Raise Stroke Risk
- Wine May Cut Decline in Thinking Skills
- Want to Build Muscle? Light Weights Will Do
- Resveratrol May Slow Aging in Humans
- Cholesterol Study: Low HDL May Not Be So Bad
- Stroke Risk Higher in Hour After 'Happy Hour'
- Personalized Strategy Is Best for Heart Health
- Blood Pressure and Diabetes: How Low Should You Go?
- Might You Live to 100? Gene Test Tells
- Study: High-Fructose Diets May Raise Blood Pressure
- 90% in U.S. Get Too Much Salt; 5 Foods Blamed
- Tea, Coffee Drinkers Have Lower Heart Risk
- Your Job's Start Time Affects Fatigue Level
- Many Stroke Patients Don't Get Quick Treatment
- New Aspirin Guidelines for Diabetes Patients
- Stroke Patients Discharged Without Statins
- ED a Red Flag for Heart Attack, Strokes
- Friends of Stroke Victims Reluctant to Call 911
- Air Pollution Increases Heart Attack, Stroke Risk
- Drug Reverses Diabetes-Related Vision Loss
- Fate of New Migraine Drug Is Uncertain
- Experts Urge FDA to Mandate Salt Reduction
- Can You Recognize Symptoms of Minor Stroke?
- Limb Movement Regained Years After Stroke
- Brisk Walking Reduces Stroke Risk
- Should Healthy People Take Statins?
- Nibble on Chocolate for a Healthier Heart
- ED, Heart Disease May Be Deadly Duo
- New Plavix Warning: Lack of Effect in Many People
- Occasional High Blood Pressure Risky, Too?
- Cardiac Catheterizations: Too Many Performed?
- Coffee May Cut Risk of Heart Rhythm Problems
- U.S. Has Racial Gap in Stroke Rate
- Heart Warning Signs in Obese 3-Year-Olds
- Stents as Good as Surgery at Preventing Stroke
- Belly Fat Is Culprit in Stroke Gender Gap
- Wii Games Speed Stroke Rehab
- Strokes Are Increasing Among Young
- Experts: U.S. Is Neglecting Hypertension
- Life Expectancy Up, but So Is Poor Health
- Study: Happiness Good for the Heart
- Preventing Recurrent Strokes Needs Improvement
- Chocolate Chips Away at Stroke Risk
- Migraines Linked to Heart Attack Risk
- Mediterranean Diet May Prevent Stroke-Related Brain Damage