Stress may be considered as any physical, chemical, or emotional factor that causes bodily or mental unrest and that may be a factor in disease causation. An important goal for those under stress is the management of stress in our lives. Elimination of stress is unrealistic, since stress is a part of normal life. We can however, learn to manage stress through techniques such as exercise, relaxation, meditation, time management, and support systems so that we have control over our stress and its effects on our physical and mental health. Read more: Stress Management Techniques Article
Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
ADHD/ADD in Adults: Symptoms & Treatments in Pictures
Most people don't associate adults with the term ADHD (attention deficit hyperactivity disorder) but it is a common disorder in...
How to Lower Blood Pressure: Exercise Tips
Trying to lower high blood pressure (hypertension)? Discover exercises good for lowering blood pressure, along with other...
Stress Quiz: Test Your Emotional IQ
Stress creeps into everyone's life at one time or another, while some people will suffer from poorly managed chronic stress. If...
The Surprising Health Benefits of Sex
How would you like a stronger immune system or better sleep? Action between the sheets can help you get all of this and more....
Health Screening Tests Every Woman Needs
What is a health screening? Why is it important to know your blood pressure? How long will your health screening take? Learn...
ADHD in Children: Better Parenting
Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) is a common disorder seen in children. Parents can learn tips and techniques to...
ADHD: Top Concentration-Killers in Pictures
Learn the truth about multitasking, email overload, nagging thoughts, hunger, and other brain drains of modern life. See what's...
How to Prevent the Common Cold
The common cold is arguably the most common human illness. Learn how long the common cold lasts, treatment for the common cold...
Stress Pictures Slideshow: 10 Ways to Stop Stress
Feeling stressed? Watch this pictures slideshow for 10 ways to stop stress now. Focusing on breathing, journaling, and even...
Diet for Stress Management: Carbs, Nuts, and Other Stress-Relief Foods
While there are many ways to cope with stress, one strategy is to eat stress-fighting foods. Find out which foods to eat as part...
Top 15 Immune System Boosters
Immune system boosters include foods, supplements, and lifestyle habits to help you fight off infections. A healthy immune system...
Stress-Free Holiday Travel Tips
Learn holiday travel tips for a stress-free adventure. The holidays can be a very stressful time and it is important to prepare...
Healthy Indulgences for Under $15 With Pictures
Isn't it time you took care of yourself? Good food, relaxation, laughter -- we offer 15 great ideas for affordable, healthy...
Related Disease Conditions
Early Pregnancy Symptoms and Signs
Pregnancy symptoms can vary from woman to woman, and not all women experience the same symptoms. When women do experience...
Inner Ear Infection (Symptoms, Signs, Treatments, Home Remedies)
An inner ear infection or otitis interna is caused by viruses or bacteria and can occur in both adults and children. An inner...
Headaches can be divided into two categories: primary headaches and secondary headaches. Migraine headaches, tension headaches,...
Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS)
Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) is a GI (gastrointestinal) disorder with signs and symptoms that include abdominal pain, bloating,...
Temporomandibular Joint Syndrome (TMJ)
Temporomandibular joint (TMJ) syndrome is a disorder that causes symptoms like pain, clicking, and popping of the jaw. TMJ is...
Heartburn (Acid Reflux) Symptoms, Relief Medicine, Cures
Heartburn is a burning sensation experienced from acid reflux (GERD). Symptoms of heartburn include chest pain, burning in the...
IBS Triggers (Prevention)
Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) is a functional disease that can affect the quality of those who suffer from this condition....
Indigestion (Dyspepsia, Upset Stomach Pain) Symptoms, Relief Remedies, Medicine
Indigestion (dyspepsia) can be caused by diseases or conditions that involve the gastrointestinal (GI) tract, and also by some...
Migraine headache is a type of headache associated with a sensitivity to light, smells, or sounds, eye pain, severe pounding on...
Insulin resistance is the diminished ability of cells to respond to the action of insulin in transporting glucose (sugar) from...
Healthy Living and Disease Prevention
The importance of a healthy lifestyle in disease prevention is widely understood and most people know that lifestyle changes and...
High Blood Pressure (Hypertension) Signs, Causes, Diet, and Treatment
High blood pressure (hypertension) is a disease in which pressure within the arteries of the body is elevated. About 75 million...
Snoring (Causes, Aids, Remedies, Solutions)
Snoring, like all other sounds, is caused by vibrations that cause particles in the air to form sound waves. While we are asleep,...
Premenstrual Syndrome (PMS)
Premenstrual syndrome (PMS) is a combination of physical and emotional disturbances that occur after a woman ovulates and ends...
Ulcerative Colitis Diet
An ulcerative colitis diet plan can help a person with the disease avoid foods and drinks that trigger flares. There also are...
Graves' Disease (Symptoms, Causes, Diet, Treatment Options)
Graves' disease is an autoimmune disease that affects the thyroid. Some of the symptoms of Graves' disease include hand tremors,...
Head and Neck Cancer
Head and neck cancer is cancer of the oral cavity, salivary glands, paranasal sinuses and nasal cavity, pharynx, larynx, or lymph...
A toothache is a pain on or around a tooth. It may be caused by a variety of things from a cavity, abscess, or even sinusitis....
Eye floaters are deposits or condensation that forms in the eye's vitreous humor. These deposits cast shadows on the retina, and...
Migraine vs. Headache: Differences and Similarities
Headaches are the most common reason why a person goes to the doctor or other healthcare professional for treatment. There are...
Tension Headache (Symptoms, Relief, Causes, Treatment)
A tension headache s one of the most common types of headaches, and the exact cause is not known. Factors that may contribute to...
Fibromyalgia is a chronic pain condition characterized by symptoms such as fatigue, sleep disturbances, and tender points. Stress...
Anxiety is a feeling of apprehension and fear characterized by symptoms such as trouble concentrating, headaches, sleep problems,...
Abdominal Migraines in Children and Adults
Abdominal migraine in adults and children is a variant of migraine headaches. Abdominal migraine in children generally occurs in...
Stress and Heart Disease
The connection between stress and heart disease is not clear. Stress itself may be a risk factor, or high levels of stress may...
Cough (Chronic, Persistent Cough in Adults and Children)
Chronic cough is a cough that does not go away and is generally a symptom of another disorder such as asthma, allergic...
A heart attack happens when a blood clot completely obstructs a coronary artery supplying blood to the heart muscle. A heart...
Angina (Symptoms, Causes, Types, Diagnosis, and Treatment)
Angina is chest pain due to inadequate blood supply to the heart. Angina symptoms may include chest tightness, burning,...
Stress occurs when forces from the outside world impinge on the individual. Stress is a normal part of life. However,...
Alcohol and Teens
Alcohol is the most frequently used drug by American teenagers. Teens that drink are more likely to drive under the influence,...
Mitral Valve Prolapse (Syndrome, Symptoms, Causes, Treatment, Surgery)
Mitral valve prolapse (MVP), also called "click murmur syndrome" and "Barlow's syndrome," is the most common type of heart valve...
Hot Flashes (Causes, Symptoms & Medication Treatment in Men and Women)
Hot flashes (or flushing) is the most common symptom experienced by a woman prior to and during the early stages of menopause,...
Depression is an illness that involves the body, mood, and thoughts and affects the way a person eats and sleeps, the way one...
Headache Natural Home Remedies
Headaches are a common complaint for many people. There are many types of headaches such as migraine, tension, cluster, and the...
Cyclic Vomiting Syndrome (CVS)
Cyclic vomiting syndrome is a condition in which affected individuals have severe nausea and vomiting that come in cycles....
Cluster headaches are a type of headache that recurs over a period. Episodes can last one to three times a day during this time,...
Type 2 Diabetes
Type 2 diabetes is a condition in which a person's pancreas does not produce enough insulin to meet the needs of the body....
Sleep Disorders (How to Get a Good Night's Sleep)
A number of vital tasks carried out during sleep help maintain good health and enable people to function at their best. Sleep...
Peyronie's Disease (Curvature of the Penis)
Peyronie's disease or curvature of the penis (Peyronie disease) is a condition in which scar tissue develops inside the penis....
Atrial Fibrillation vs. Ventricular Fibrillation (AFib vs VFib Symptoms, ECG Strips)
Atrial fibrillation (AF or AFib) is an abnormality in the heart rhythm which involves irregular and often rapid beating of the...
Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder (PMDD)
Premenstrual dysphoric disorder (PMDD) is considered a severe form of premenstrual syndrome (PMS). PMDD has also been referred...
Alzheimer's disease is a common cause of dementia. Symptoms and warning signs of Alzheimer's disease include memory loss,...
Fitness: Exercise for a Healthy Heart
Regular exercise can help reduce the risk of heart disease. To achieve maximum benefits, do a mix of stretching exercise, aerobic...
Crohn's Disease vs. Ulcerative Colitis (UC)
Crohn's disease and ulcerative colitis are diseases that cause inflammation of part of or the entire digestive tract (GI)....
Adult ADHD (Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder)
About 2%-6% of adults have ADHD, a common behavioral problem. Symptoms include impulsivity, hyperactivity, and inattention....
IBS-D (Irritable Bowel Syndrome with Diarrhea)
IBS-D or irritable bowel syndrome with diarrhea refers to IBS with diarrhea. Symptoms of IBS-D include intestinal gas...
Panic attacks are sudden feelings of terror that strike without warning. These episodes can occur at any time, even during sleep....
Palpitations (Causes and Symptoms)
Palpitations are uncomfortable sensations of the heart beating hard, rapidly, or irregularly. Some types of palpitations are...
Prediabetes is a situation where a person's blood sugar levels are higher than they should be, but aren't high enough to be...
IBS vs. IBD: Differences and Similarities
IBS (irritable bowel syndrome) and IBD (inflammatory bowel disease) are both problems with the digestive tract...
Emotional eating can be detrimental to one's efforts at weight loss. Learning to identify the situations and emotions that...
Migraines and Seizures (Symptoms, Auras, Medication)
Migraines are a type of headache and seizures are the main symptom of epilepsy. Migraine headaches and seizures are two...
Carcinoid Syndrome (Carcinoid Tumor)
A carcinoid tumor is a tumor that develops from enterochromaffin cells. The important characteristic of carcinoid tumors that...
Sleepwalking (Causes, Symptoms, Treatment)
Sleepwalking is a condition in which an individual walks or does other activities while asleep. Factors associated with...
Depression in Children
Childhood depression can interfere with social activities, interests, schoolwork and family life. Symptoms and signs include...
Suicide is the process of intentionally ending one's own life. Approximately 1 million people worldwide commit suicide each year,...
Insomnia (Symptoms, Causes, Remedies, and Cures)
Insomnia is the perception or complaint of inadequate or poor-quality sleep because of difficulty falling asleep; waking up...
Atrial Flutter vs. Atrial Fibrillation (What Are the Differences?)
Atrial flutter and atrial fibrillation (AFib) are two types of a heart problem called atrial tachycardia. Both of these...
Duck syndrome is a situation initially coined at Stanford University whereby a college student may seem to be calm on the surface...
Is Dandruff (Seborrhea) Contagious?
Seborrheic dermatitis (dandruff) is a chronic condition in which skin on the scalp flakes and sheds. Dandruff is not contagious....
Irritable Bowel Syndrome in Children (IBS)
Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) in children is a functional gastrointestinal disorder with signs and symptoms of: Abdominal...
Is Psoriasis Contagious?
Psoriasis is an incurable skin disease that causes reddish patches of skin topped with a thick layer of dry silvery scales....
Menstrual Cramps and Premenstrual Syndrome (PMS) Medication Guide
Menstrual cramps and premenstrual syndrome (PMS) symptoms include abdominal cramping, bloating, a feeling of fullness, abdominal...
Is Gingivitis Contagious?
Gingivitis is inflammation of the gums. Poor dental hygiene, stress, smoking, some medications, and a poor diet can cause...
Stiff-Person syndrome is a neurological disorder associated with features of an autoimmune disease. Signs and symptoms of...
Mental health is an optimal way of thinking, relating to others, and feeling. All of the diagnosable mental disorders fall under...
Heart Attacks in Women
Heart disease, particularly coronary artery disease is the leading cause of heart attacks. Women are more likely to die from a...
Enjoying a satisfying sex life as we age is important to both physical and mental health. As we age, diseases and conditions may...
Low Cholesterol Diet
Cholesterol is naturally produced by the body, and is a building block for cell membranes and hormones. Low-density lipoprotein...
Alzheimer's Disease Patient Caregiver Guide
Caring for a loved one or patient with Alzheimer's can become a difficult and overwhelming task at times. This guide helps...
Disease Prevention in Women
Disease prevention in women includes screening tests that are a basic part of prevention medicine. All screening tests are...
Pycnodysostosis (pyknodysostosis) is an inherited disease of the bone. Characteristics of individuals with pycnodysostosis are:...
Compulsive Overeating vs. Binge Eating Disorder
Compulsive overeating is eating more than needed. Binge eating disorder involves recurrent episodes of compulsive eating, even...
Parenting a Child With ADHD
ADHD is a behavioral condition with characteristics that include hyperactivity, inattention, and impulsivity. Parenting a child...
Regular physical activity can reduce the risk of disease. Regular exercise can also reduce the symptoms of stress and anxiety....
High-Sensitivity Troponin Test
The high-sensitive troponin test can detect very low levels of troponin T in the blood. (There are three types of cardiac...
Heart Attack Prevention Overview
Heart attacks are the major causes of unexpected, sudden death among men and women. A heart attack also is a significant cause...
Hurricanes are based on the Saffir-Simpson Hurricane Scale, which places them in 5 categories. Weather (hurricane) predictions,...
Local ResourcesFind a local Psychiatrist in your town
Treatment & Diagnosis
- How to Choose a Doctor
- Doctor: Checklist to Take To Your Doctor's Appointment
- Doctor: Getting the Most from Your Doctor's Appointment
- Women and Heart Disease
- Stress: What is Your Stress Type
- Stress: Chronic Stress and the Mental Connection
- Stress: Chronic Stress and the Body Connection
- Stress: Take Charge of Your Stress
- Stress-Free Stress Management
- Stress: Focus on the New Relaxed You
- Strategies For Solving the Work/Life Dilemma
- Reduce Stress Through Simple Relaxation Techniques for Home and Office
- Stress: Getting Out From Under Stress
- Stress: Avoid Desktop Stress
- Yoga: An Introduction to Yoga with Sue Elkind
- Stress: Coping with Loss During the Holidays
- Stress: Holiday Spirit: The Highs and Lows
- Yoga: Anyone Can Do It -- Larry Payne
- Stress FAQs
- PMS vs. PMDD - Whats' the Difference?
- Stress: Meditation May Reduce Stress and Improve Health
- Stress: Three Minutes to Stress Relief!
- Colds: 10 Tips to Prevent The Common Cold
- Home and Family
- Stress: 8 Immediate Stress-Busters
- Fibromyalgia Treatments Without Drugs
- Ten Health Benefits of a Healthy Sex Life
- 6 Tips to Stress-Proof Your Family Vacation
- 7 Tips to Make Holiday Travel Less Stressful
- Adrenal Fatigue, Adrenal Exhaustion: Is It "Real?"
- Why Am I So Tired? The Many Causes of Fatigue
- Stress: Is Memory Loss Associated with Stress?
- Ask the Experts - Stress
- Stress: The Long-Term Effects
- Tips To Help You Relax - Audio Medical Podcast
- Stress Reduction - Checking Your Pulse Audio Segment
Medications & Supplements
Prevention & Wellness
- Nagging Low Back Pain? Try Mindfulness
- Healthy Ways to Deal With Conflict
- Selecting the Right Style of Yoga for You
- Health Tip: Exercise to Counteract Stress and Anxiety
- 1 in 4 College Students Really Stressed Out by 2016 Election: Survey
- Take 10 for Mindfulness
- Science Says 'Hug It Out'
- Health Tip: Spend Time Outside to Reduce Stress and Anxiety
- The Cat's Meow: The Emotional Boost of Cute Videos
- Take a Vacation, Your Heart Will Thank You
- More Evidence Ties Stress to Heart Trouble
- Health Tip: Help Manage Stress
- Exercise Really Can Chase Away the Blues … to a Point
- The Latest on Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
- Health Tip: Map Your Way to Better Health
- On-the-Job Stress Relief
- Doctor Burnout Widespread, Helps Drive Many Medical Errors
- Health Tip: Stay Calm You When You Feel Frazzled
- Health Tip: Manage Family Arguments
- Severe Stress May Send Immune System Into Overdrive
- Religion May Be Potent Medicine
- Health Tip: How Working Parents Can Avoid Burnout
- Wanna Look Cool? Give Smiling a Shot
- Why You Should Unwind After a Tough Day at Work
- Exercise Your Blues Away
- Stop Burnout in Its Tracks
- Meditation Can Soothe the Anxious Soul in Just One Session
- Meditation: Different Approaches, Different Benefits
- All That Overtime Could Be Killing You
- Many Grad Students Struggle With Anxiety, Depression
- Health Tip: Ways to Reduce Stress
- Health Tip: Manage Political Stress
- Good Deeds Soothe Stress
- 3 Signs You'd Be Happier With a New Job
- 4 in 10 Americans Think Work Affects Their Health: Poll
- Health Tip: Manage Emotional Stress
- Traumatic Life Events May Harm Women's Hearts, Study Suggests
- Health Tip: Exercise for Stress Relief
- Health Tip: Stop Stress
- Ski Your Way to Happiness?
- Boston Bombing Aftermath: Fear, Empathy, Anger
- Top Road Rage Triggers: Cutting In, Weaving
- Health Tip: Maintain Your Ideal Weight
- Stress Management May Prevent MS Brain Lesions
- Health Tip: Better Manage Stress
- Meditation May Help Brain Tune Out Distractions
- Twitter Tracks Mood Swings
- Unhealthy Diet Raises Heart Risk of Obese Teens
- Positive Thinking Helps Heart Patients
- New Debate on Link Between Stress, Infertility
- Genetic Link Between Stress and Depression
- Man Flu: Is Job Stress to Blame?
- Family Stress Linked to Angina Pain
- Alzheimer's and Its Impact on Women
- Walnuts Reduce Stress
- Bullying, Harassment of Gay/Lesbian Teens: Expert Q&A
- Hormone in Hair May Reveal Heart Risk
- Stress May Raise Risk of Premenstrual Syndrome
- Resveratrol May Slow Aging in Humans
- Rocky Relationships Harder for Men
- Cancer Caregivers Share Patient Stresses
- Your Job's Start Time Affects Fatigue Level
- Exercise May Buffer Effects of Stress
- Autism Families: High Divorce Rate Is a Myth
- Infections, Fractures Linked to Acid Reflux Drugs
- Workplace Stress Raises Heart Risk for Women
- Birth Control Pills Put Brakes on Women's Sex Drive
- Gender Gap in Prescription Pain Drug Abuse
- Is Drinking Wine a Key to Antiaging?
- New Debate on Breast Removal to Prevent Cancer
- Brief Meditation Training Brings Pain Relief
- Single Men Have Higher Risk of Stroke
- Ergonomics: Healthy Workstation Positions
- 6 Secrets to Gorgeous Skin
- How to Pick Your Perfect Mattress
- 5 Diet Resolutions for the New Year
- Flu Prevention: Use Your Immune System!
- A Prescription for Holiday Blues
- Blissing Out: 10 Relaxation Techniques To Reduce Stress On-the-Spot
- Stress: Can Stress Cause Weight Gain?