The connection between stress and heart disease is not clear. Stress itself may be a risk factor, or high levels of stress may make risk factors for heart disease worse. The warning signs of stress can be physical, mental, emotional, or behavioral. Reducing stressors in an individuals life not only can lead to a more productive life, but may also decrease the risk for heart disease and causes of heart disease. Read more: Stress and Heart Disease Article
Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
Stress Quiz: Test Your Emotional IQ
Stress creeps into everyone's life at one time or another, while some people will suffer from poorly managed chronic stress. If...
The Surprising Health Benefits of Sex
How would you like a stronger immune system or better sleep? Action between the sheets can help you get all of this and more....
Atrial Fibrillation (AFib): Tips for Living with Atrial Fibrillation
What is atrial fibrillation? Learn how to making living with atrial fibrillation (AFib) easier. Explore tips that can help you...
Related Disease Conditions
Congestive Heart Failure (CHF) Symptoms, Stages, and Prognosis
Congestive heart failure (CHF) refers to a condition in which the heart loses the ability to function properly. Heart disease,...
12 Heart Attack Symptoms and Early Warning Signs
Recognizing heart attack symptoms and signs can help save your life or that of someone you love. Some heart attack symptoms,...
Stress and Disease
Second Source article from Government...
Heart failure (congestive) is caused by many conditions including coronary artery disease, heart attack, cardiomyopathy, and...
Blood clots can occur in the venous and arterial vascular system. Blood clots can form in the heart, legs, arteries, veins,...
A tension headache s one of the most common types of headaches, and the exact cause is not known. Factors that may contribute to...
Heart disease (coronary artery disease) occurs when plaque builds up in the coronary arteries, the vessels that supply blood to...
Angina (Symptoms, Causes, Types, Diagnosis, and Treatment)
Angina is chest pain due to inadequate blood supply to the heart. Angina symptoms may include chest tightness, burning,...
Pericarditis (Symptoms, ECG, Types, Causes, Treatment)
Pericarditis is the inflammation of the pericardial sac that surrounds the heart. The causes of pericarditis include injury from...
Palpitations (Causes and Symptoms)
Palpitations are uncomfortable sensations of the heart beating hard, rapidly, or irregularly. Some types of palpitations are...
Heart attack happens when a blood clot completely obstructs a coronary artery supplying blood to the heart muscle. A heart attack...
Stress occurs when forces from the outside world impinge on the individual. Stress is a normal part of life. However,...
Atrial Fibrillation (AF, AFib)
Atrial fibrillation (AF or AFib) is an abnormality in the heart rhythm which involves irregular and often rapid beating of the...
Carotid Artery Disease
The term carotid artery disease refers to the narrowing of the carotid arteries and can also be called carotid stenosis. Fatty...
Symptoms of 12 Serious Diseases and Health Problems
Learn how to recognize serious diseases and health problems like strokes, heart attacks, cancers, reproductive problems in...
Prediabetes is a situation where a person's blood sugar levels are higher than they should be, but aren't high enough to be...
Abnormal Heart Rhythms (Heart Rhythm Disorders)
Heart rhythm disorders vary from minor palpitations, premature atrial contractions (PACs), premature ventricular contractions...
Atrial flutter is a problem with the atria of the heart. In atrial flutter the atria of the heart rapidly and repeatedly beat...
Atrial Fibrillation Symptoms (AFib Warning Signs)
Atrial fibrillation or AFib is a type of hear rhythm abnormality. Early warning signs and symptoms of atrial fibrillation...
Dystonia disorders cause involuntary movements and prolonged muscle contraction, resulting in twisting body motions, tremor, and...
Atrial Fibrillation vs. Ventricular Fibrillation (AFib vs VFib ECG Strips)
Atrial fibrillation (AFib) and ventricular fibrillation (VFib) are problems with the heart that cause abnormal heart rhythms....
Heart Disease in Women
Heart disease in women has somewhat different symptoms, risk factors, and treatment compared to heart disease in men. Many women...
Carcinoid Syndrome (Carcinoid Tumor)
A carcinoid tumor is a tumor that develops from enterochromaffin cells. The important characteristic of carcinoid tumors that...
Heart Attacks in Women
Heart disease, particularly coronary artery disease is the leading cause of heart attacks. Women are more likely to die from a...
Atrial Flutter vs. Atrial Fibrillation (What Are the Differences?)
Atrial flutter and atrial fibrillation (AFib) are two types of a heart problem called atrial tachycardia. Both of these...
Migraine vs. Headache: Differences and Similarities
Headaches are the most common reason why a person goes to the doctor or other healthcare professional for treatment. There are...
Stress Management Techniques
Stress may be considered as any physical, chemical, or emotional factor that causes bodily or mental unrest and that may be a...
Enjoying a satisfying sex life as we age is important to both physical and mental health. As we age, diseases and conditions may...
How to Lower Your Cholesterol
Cholesterol is naturally produced by the body, and is a building block for cell membranes and hormones. Low-density lipoprotein...
Heart Attack vs. Stroke Symptoms, Differences, and Similarities
Heart attack usually is caused by a clot that stops blood flow supplying oxygen to an area of heart muscle, which results in...
Lipodystrophy (Acquired, Generalized, Inherited)
Lipodystrophy is a syndrome in which fat deposits accumulate all over the body, or sometimes just portions of it, like just the...
Heart Attack Prevention
Heart disease and heart attacks can be prevented by leading a healthy lifestyle with diet, exercise, and stress management....
Heart Attack Prevention Overview
Heart attacks are the major causes of unexpected, sudden death among men and women. A heart attack also is a significant cause...
Local ResourcesFind a local Cardiologist in your town
Treatment & Diagnosis
Medications & Supplements
- lisinopril (Zestril, Prinivil, Qbrelis) ACE Inhibitor
- Anticoagulants (Anticoagulant Drug Class)
- digoxin (Lanoxin, Lanoxin Pediatric)
- Nitrates (Medication)
- Zocor (simvastatin)
- diazepam (Valium, Diastat, Acudial, Diastat Pediatric, Diazepam Intensol)
- Congestive Heart Failure Medications
- Vasodilators (Drug Class Side Effects, List of Names)
- alteplase (TPA, Activase, Cathflo Activase)
- Aspirin Therapy (Guidelines for Heart Attack and Stroke Prevention)
- colestipol (Colestid)
- Beta Blocker Side Effects (Adverse Effects)
- warfarin (Coumadin, Jantoven)
- felodipine (Plendil)
- Entresto (sacubitril and valsartan)
- blue-green algae (Cyanobacteria, Spirulina)
- cangrelor (Kengreal)
- Repatha (evolocumab)
Prevention & Wellness
- Are Women's Hearts More Vulnerable to Stress?
- Brain Scans Give Clues to Stress-Heart Attack Link
- Green Space in Cities May Soothe the Heart
- Undiagnosed Sleep Problems May Be Common Among Firefighters
- Stress Affects Women, Men With Heart Disease Differently, Study Shows
- Genes May Make Some More Prone to Heart Disease When Under Stress
- Positive Attitude Linked to Longer Life in Heart Patients
- Unhealthy Diet Raises Heart Risk of Obese Teens
- Positive Thinking Helps Heart Patients
- New Debate on Link Between Stress, Infertility
- Genetic Link Between Stress and Depression
- Man Flu: Is Job Stress to Blame?
- Alzheimer's and Its Impact on Women
- Walnuts Reduce Stress
- Bullying, Harassment of Gay/Lesbian Teens: Expert Q&A
- Hormone in Hair May Reveal Heart Risk
- Resveratrol May Slow Aging in Humans
- Rocky Relationships Harder for Men
- Your Job's Start Time Affects Fatigue Level
- Exercise May Buffer Effects of Stress
- Autism Families: High Divorce Rate Is a Myth
- Infections, Fractures Linked to Acid Reflux Drugs
- Workplace Stress Raises Heart Risk for Women
- Dementia Risk Higher if Your Spouse Has Dementia
- Gender Gap in Prescription Pain Drug Abuse
- Is Drinking Wine a Key to Antiaging?
- Single Men Have Higher Risk of Stroke
Subscribe to MedicineNet's Heart Health Newsletter