Patient Comments: Stress - Physical Symptoms

Symptoms of stress can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your physical symptoms? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Car, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 17

I work night shifts and usually get about 4 to 5 hours sleep per day since I juggle work and taking care of the kids, by myself. I mostly get irritated and no control of my anger. I also experience headaches often like sometimes 3 times a week. I had 2 episodes of lack of oxygen while working.

Comment from: Frazzled, 65-74 Female (Caregiver) Published: May 21

I am extremely stressed out from my husband. He is always screaming at me for some small thing, like getting water on the handle of a faucet! I cry over happy and sad things or just want to cry over everything! My stomach feels like it is in knots all the time. I feel nauseated and sometime I vomit when I brush my teeth! Recently, my back has been hurting, but the pain moves from behind my hips to the middle of my lower back to my back ribs! I also felt like a bubble moved up my spine the other day, then disappeared.

Comment from: poe, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 31

I take care of my 43 year old daughter on a small budget. I am so stressed out that she should have a life. She was molested when young. All summer I had tension headaches I normally do not have. I was very irritated, I felt like my mind was not in control. I finally woke up one night with my arms outstretched and wanted to get up but couldn't. I had a lot of test at the emergency room and they stated I had a headache. I sure do not remember having one. I also had numbness in my two left toes and two left fingers, I could not eat; my mind is "not good".

Comment from: Lulu, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: September 04

When I am stressed, I have anxiety, constant fatigue, no energy, loss of appetite, excessive smoking, a short temper, prone to tears or outbursts, and excessive spending.

Published: July 23

When I'm really stressed I usually feel like there are 100 other things wrong with me. My chest hurts, it's hard to breathe, my shoulders and neck hurt. I also wake up sometimes when I've just fallen asleep to my heart pounding so hard I feel like I'm having a heart attack. I'm always suprised at what a big physical toll stress can take on your body. It's scary. Exercise is the only thing that really makes me feel better. I don't think I have the energy, but I push myself and find that I feel so much better after.

Comment from: sachin agrahari, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: November 28

I have a problem in my heart which is affecting my study. I am not studying at this time. I don't know if this is why but I am facing a high problem when I study. This is generated when I am troubled with a high stress of my mind.

Comment from: febelyn, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 28

It is hard to do something nice if being stressed.

Comment from: lyn, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 27

I wonder if stress affects the sexual emotion while making love with husband.

Comment from: Maral, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: May 01

I have skin problem because of stress; white spots around my neck and some my legs and my hands.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 25

My symtoms of stress include feeling tired all the time, not sleeping, sore throat(just this week) aching arms and legs, weight gain in the last 6 months, and pain across neck and shoulders.

Comment from: Lou, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 12

I'm 40 years old. Stay at home mom with a two year old. I guess that explains it, but I'm in the same surroundings daily. Some days worse than others to find myself ignoring baby and yelling at husband for no reason and constant crying. Like a week out of every month I cannot find myself. Is there something wrong that can be fixed with a vitamin?

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: August 27

I can always tell when I am stressed. My neck and shoulder aches, I get slight headaches, I break out in hives, and I have trouble concentrating on what I am doing. I feel like my mind is wondering all over the place on overload. Oh, and my biggest problem with stress are all those sleepless nights where I just toss and turn. What I do to try and alleviate my stress is tell myself to slow down, one thing at a time, and convince myself that everything will get done in due time.

Comment from: Mad Woman, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 15

I get a feeling of tightness in the throat and chest area. I have experienced massive blinding headaches that wake me from sleep. I grind my teeth at night when I'm asleep and my jaw is "set" during the day. My hearing is like listening to someone under water or as though there were cotton in my ears. I have never experienced stress until I reached my mid 40's and one doctor told me that I had post traumatic stress syndrome from things from my childhood, which I can believe, but I thought I had come to grips with. He also said that with the onset of menopause it happens quite frequently in women.

Published: July 16

When I'm stressed, I get the feeling of being lost, not knowing what to do. I experience headaches that sometimes lead to migraines. I have become very defensive, snapping at others who "just try to help." I've experienced depression, leading to the distancing of myself from others. I've also had chest pains that feel like a knife being stabbed into my lungs. These are just to name a few of the symptoms I have due to stress.

Published: July 09

My symptoms of stress were work related. I'm a veterinarian in a busy, high-demand practice. The signs were classic “fight or flight.” I had the feeling of an “adrenaline rush:” tingly extremities, restlessness, fast breathing, and the ability to go a day without any food. I had no time and no appetite. At nights, coming down, I would have trouble sleeping, irritability, restlessness and I would feel very low in general. When anticipating a big day, I would be dry-retching in the mornings and the nausea would be so bad I wouldn't be able to hold down liquids.

Published: June 18

I get light-headed, I can't sit still, I get heartburn-like chest pains and shoulder/neck muscle cramps.

Published: June 06

I felt chest pain, dizziness, some nausea, shaking a little from nerves, sore neck and shoulder muscles, and I had a topsy-turvy stomach.

Published: June 05

Chronic migraines, heightened blood pressure and fatigue. Strange as it seems, I quit smoking over a month ago (I was a light smoker) and then I was constipated, the migraines started and my blood pressure went up. It is, however, probably a combination of other stressors that caused these problems.

Published: June 05

My stress comes in the form of severe headaches, sleepless nights, vivid nightmares, (when I do sleep) anxiety attacks, dizziness, heart palpitations, irritability (to the point I don't even know myself anymore) which has lead to my increase in alcohol consumption. This in turn has caused me to gain weight and become lethargic. I am constantly tired. Interestingly enough, I used to be on a very disciplined routine of diet and exercise 6 days per week. I went from 127 pounds to 160 pounds in one year. I'd like my life back.

Published: May 30

I feel burning and pain in the hips, tingling and pain in shoulders, knee and elbow joints, also tingling sensation in the extremities. After these symptoms go on in cyclic fashion for 2-3 hours then I have a major attack of anxiety, and I feel as though I am passing out.

Published: May 30

Chest pains, pain in between shoulder blades and neck, stomach problems, panic attacks, high blood pressure and rapid heart beat.

Comment from: Alison, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 30

When I am stressed, I suffer with hair loss.

Comment from: valmehar, Published: September 12

For the past 4 months I have been living with a full body itch, I have been overeating (gained about 10 pounds) and have mood swings. I believe it is stress. I feel horrible, and don't know what to do. I work very hard and have a 3 year old. I am beginning to think I should get help from a specialist.

Comment from: Out of my mind, 35-44 Female Published: September 04

I'm under a great deal of stress right now I have not had a bite of food for a week, just liquids. I can't sleep, I feel like I'm just lost, and I don't know where to go or who to turn to. All I can do is cry when I'm alone, but I have to put on the happy face for my kids and friends and family.

Comment from: 45-54 Female Published: August 27

When I get stressed, I feel nauseous. I have headaches, memory problems, I grind my teeth, and have trouble getting back to sleep if I awake. I am drinking more alcohol and my family says I am a different person when I am off work for the summer. Now that school has started again, I am back to teaching, and I get very weepy. I cry, and I am irritable. I have high blood pressure and am seeing doctors both for physical and emotional issues. I seem to worry about everything, which makes what used to be easy, take longer and longer to accomplish. I am very good at procrastinating the things I need to do, which is what I am doing right now!

Comment from: Pauline, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: August 21

When I'm stressed, I get a dull ache in my chest and abdominal area. I also feel weak. These symptoms come and go; sometimes I feel fine.

Published: August 01

I have been under prolonged stress and I get chest pain, depression, wild mood swings, tired all the time, but can't sleep a full nights sleep. Now the doctor said that my thyroid is way up there and I may need hormone therapy.

Published: July 09

I have lower back pain and find that it gets worse when I am stressed about something or someone's behavior.

Subscribe to MedicineNet's Depression Newsletter