Symptoms of a Streptococcus infection of the throat (streptococcal pharyngitis) are related to the inflammation of the throat and surrounding tissues. It is not possible to determine whether a sore throat is due to strep infection without specialized testing. A severe sore throat is a common symptom, also some people may have a strep infection with only mild throat pain. Redness and swelling of the throat may be present. There may be white patches in the throat and on the tonsils if pus is present (medically known as a tonsillar exudate). Odynophagia (difficulty swallowing due to the pain) is common. Enlarged, swollen tonsils may be present.
People with strep throat may have fever and accompanying chills and muscle aches. Headache, nausea, and vomiting may accompany the infection. Another common symptom is tenderness and swelling of the lymph nodes on the sides of the neck. Toxins from the Streptococcus bacteria sometimes produce a characteristic skin rash that starts around the face and neck and spreads to the chest, abdomen, and groin. This condition occurs in about 10% of children with strep throat and is known as scarlet fever. There may be peeling of the skin of the fingertips along with the rash.
Causes of strep throat
Other strep throat symptoms and signs
- Bad Breath
- Difficulty Swallowing
- Painful Lymph Nodes
- Peeling Skin on the Fingers
- Sore Throat
- Swollen Lymph Nodes
- Swollen Tonsils
- White Patches in the Throat and on the Tonsils
Main Article on Strep Throat Symptoms and Signs
Pictures, Images, Illustrations & Quizzes
A Cold or The Flu? How to Tell the Difference
Discover the difference between cold vs. flu symptoms. Learn the difference between cold and flu symptoms. Read about cold and...
Picture of Strep Throat
Strep infection often produces a distinct pattern of white patches in the throat and on the tonsils, as well as red swollen...
Sore Throat or Strep Throat? How to Tell the Difference
Is this a sore throat or could it be strep throat? Explore the causes of a sore throat, including strep throat, and learn how to...
Strep (Streptococcal) Throat Infection Quiz: Test Your Infectious Disease IQ
Take the Strep (Streptococcal) Throat Infection Quiz to learn about causes, symptoms, treatments, prevention methods, diagnosis,...
Examples of Medications for Strep Throat Symptoms and Signs
- amoxicillin - oral, Amoxil
- amoxicillin chewable tablet - oral, Amoxil
- amoxicillin suspension - oral, Amoxil
- amoxicillin suspension 400 mg - oral, Amoxil
- amoxicillin tablet 875 mg - oral, Amoxil
- Augmentin (amoxicillin/clavulanic acid, Augmentin XR, Augmentin ES-600, Amoclan)
- azithromycin (Zithromax): For COVID-19
- Cefdinir vs. Cefpodoxime
- Cefdinir vs. Cefuroxime
- Cefdinir vs. Keflex
- cefprozil (Cefzil)
- cefuroxime, Ceftin, Zinacef
- erythromycin (Ery-Tab, PCE)
- Keflex (cephalexin)
- Nitrofurantoin vs. Amoxicillin
- Nitrofurantoin vs. Cephalexin
- penicillin G benzathine (Bicillin L-A)
- penicillin g benzathine/penicillin g procaine - injection, Bicillin C-R
- penicillin V
- Side Effects of Bicillin C-R (penicillin g benzathine/penicillin g procaine)
- Suprax (cefixime) vs. Augmentin
- Suprax (cefixime) vs. azithromycin
- Suprax (cefixime) vs. cefpodoxime
- Suprax (cefixime) vs. Rocephin (ceftriaxone)
Subscribe to MedicineNet's General Health Newsletter