Doctor's View on Strep Throat Home Remedies for Symptom Relief
Strep throat is a common infection. Symptoms include severe sore throat, difficulty swallowing, fever, swollen lymph nodes in the neck, throat that is bright red in color, and white or yellow spots on the throat. Antibiotics are used to treat strep throat.
Tips for non-prescription symptom relief
You can relieve some of the symptoms of strep throat with home remedies.
- Over-the-counter pain medications including ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin) and naproxen (Aleve) can help relieve pain and inflammation.
- Gargling with salt water is a natural remedy that can help clear the throat and relieve pain.
- Throat sprays, many that contain topical anesthetics can provide short-term relief.
- Lozenges can help keep the throat moist, and those with anesthetics in them may help relieve strep throat pain.
- Sip warm beverages (tea with honey or lemon, herbal teas, clear soups), cold beverages, and eat frozen desserts (such as ice cream or popsicles).
- Use a humidifier to keep your mouth and throat from drying out.
- The use of apple cider vinegar as a diluted solution to gargle is believed to be effective due to its antibacterial properties. However, vinegar is acidic and can be harmful to tooth enamel. Consult your doctor before using apple cider vinegar or any herbal home remedy.
Health Solutions From Our Sponsors
"Patient information: Sore throat in adults (Beyond the Basics)"