Patient Comments: Strep Throat - Diagnosis

How was your case of strep throat diagnosed? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Antonymous, 3-6 Male (Caregiver) Published: May 19

I have a hiatal hernia, and suffer from GERD. I also have asthma and a history of chest infections. I was just getting over aspiration pneumonia (due to aspirating food thanks to the hernia) and I decided to use the little energy I had to do some yard work. I sprayed a small amount of WD-40 on a surface, and held my breath for a moment before breathing again (just to make sure I didn't inhale any). Upon taking my first breath I accidentally took in a large amount of the WD-40 mist which was still lingering around. I immediately had a burning sensation and chemical taste from the back of my throat all the way down into my right lung. After a few hours of this sensation I still had a cough and a mild burning sensation on my lung. My saliva then started getting pink and foamy, and the burning persisted. Turns out I got chemical pneumonia from a tiny amount of WD-40, I had used it a bunch of times in the past with no issues. It has made me very sick and I worry if I've done any permanent damage!

Comment from: Sir Kyle, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: September 23

I got strep throat. I never get sick. I started feeling a little sore last Tuesday, also noticed a few little white spots in my throat so I knew it was an infection (I figured it was strep based on pictures from online). Being me, I tried to fight it out. I was at home bed resting, drinking lots of water even though it hurt terribly, I was eating a variety of soups, drinking honey tea with lemon, gargling warm salt water and occasional peroxide, washing my hands 5 times more often than usual. I even bought a brand new pack of toothbrushes and used a new one each time I brushed to keep any lingering infections out. I saw and felt improvement on my right side on Sunday night, I thought I had beaten it. I woke up yesterday morning (now Monday) and my left tonsil and lymph node in my neck was rock hard and causing the worst radiating pain throughout my neck/face/mouth/throat, it was all connected, and it just stabbed each time I swallowed. I can honestly say this is one of the most painful things I have ever had to endure. My entire body would jump each time I swallowed, at this point even water hurt. I had so much pressure in my head and the pain was just radiating, nothing was helping. Monday night I got no sleep, rolling in bed sweating from my entire body, gargling warm salt water and having to jump in the shower to wash off my sweat. Tuesday I went to the doctor, was in and out in maybe 10 minutes. He gave me penicillin, 500 mg to take 4 times daily for 10 days. So far I have only taken 2 since I got them this morning, but the swelling from the infection has gone down and the pain is nearly unnoticeable. The doctor told me I had a bacterial infection based on the swab test. He said had it been a viral infection, it may have passed on its own.

Comment from: Jun, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: April 11

I submitted to a throat culture and 10 minutes later, the results came back positive.

Comment from: Sheza, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 05

I went away for a weekend holiday and returned home with a severe headache and was unable to swallow. I then noticed that there were white patches on the back of my swollen throat. I proceeded to see my doctor who then quickly diagnosed that I had a strep infection. I was prescribed antibiotics and rest. I had the worse taste I could imagine, as all I could taste was the pus and was unable to discharge it as it was very difficult to cough, let alone spit it out. My advice: If you feel the symptoms, get it treated early as I did!

Comment from: Myburgh, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 06

I have had supraventricular tachycardia for about 6 years now. The only thing that works for me is to let out all the air in my lungs. Then hold in till you feel you are about to pass out then inhale quickly; and it is gone. Hope this works for you guys.

Comment from: JonW, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: June 04

Terrible illness; throat felt scratchy Friday. I was diagnosed with strep throat Saturday and had penicillin shot. Sunday night now, I still feel terrible.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 17

This has been the worst three days of my life. It started Saturday evening and was diagnosed on Tuesday. I had a fever, headache, and swallowing really hurt. I started the antibiotics on Tuesday night and still don't feel so good. If you have these symptoms, go to the doctor right away. I haven't slept properly for five days now. You really don't want this.

Comment from: HeatherThorup, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 08

I took amoxicillin as well as 1000mg of Tylenol every six hours and 800 mg of Ibuprofen every six hours as well. I also did lots of heat packs on my neck and cheeks. I gargled warm water with salt, used Chloraseptic spray and a warm towel with alcohol on it wrapped around my neck.

Comment from: Takersgirl227, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 19

I have had strep throat for a week now. I have every single symptom of strep, but my test came back negative. So the doctor put me on a z pack and 800 mg ibuprofen for pain and swelling. I would have been on my last day of my antibiotic but it wasn't having any effect at all. As a matter of fact the white lump got much bigger and the pain was even more unbearable than it was before. I went back to the doctor and he gave me a better antibiotic and steroid by IV. He also wrote me a prescription and sent me to an ear nose and throat doctor to make sure the white sore thing didn't need to be drained. Hopefully now having been given a steroidal mouth rinse, a better antibiotic, and some nasal spray to help prevent this from happening again everything will be okay. My only issue is I feel like I am being stabbed in the throat every once in a while, especially when I eat.

Just a Sore Throat or Strep Slideshow
Comment from: Genell, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 26

A rapid strep test at my doctor's office.

Comment from: sickone, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 06

My doctor's physician's assistant did a rapid strep test to diagnose my strep throat. She said my symptoms were atypical and it was the second case she had seen that day. I waited eight days with symptoms before going to the doctor. This is day 10 total, day two on penicillin. Hopefully I will feel better soon.

Comment from: Auser, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: October 10

1) Went to the doctor and got a test by putting a swab on my throat. 2) Test Results were found and I took medicine. 3) It started to get better.

Comment from: Soulfiregirl, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 22

I went to bed on Saturday night and woke up Sunday with the worst throat pain and headache in my life. My body ached and I had chills. Went to the doctor on Monday. He swabbed my throat and yep. It's strep. He gave me Amoxicillin. It's Wednesday and the headache and fever is gone but my throat still hurts like mad. I clench my fists every time I swallow! I just want this gone! I don't even have tonsils so how on earth did I get this dreadful illness.

Comment from: I_Hate_Being_Sick, 7-12 Male (Patient) Published: January 27

I have sore throat for 2 days and it hurts when I breathe now feels like some dust is in my lungs which there isn't any so I think it's strep throat. Btw if you start getting throat problems try putting some salt in warm water and gurgle it 1 drink at a time but it might relieve pain for 20 min. Then do it again.

Comment from: Christy, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 10

As a child, I would get a lot of strep throat, even through my adult years. When I was 30 (I'm now 35), I developed strep again, but this time around it was the most aggressive strep I've ever had. It started on a Monday. I was given medicine and by Thursday the pain was worse and my tonsils swelled so bad that it restricted my airway. I was rushed to the emergency room with a 105-degree fever and a rash all over my body. The ER doctor said my tonsils were the biggest tonsils he's ever seen. I had them removed that evening. Knock on wood, it's been five years since I've had strep.

Comment from: Gillian, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 10

I became aware on Sunday evening of a headache I had not experienced before, very painful. Went to bed but was unable to sleep well. The next day I awoke with fever and vomiting. Spent most of the day on sofa feeling very ill. Tuesday my husband drove me to our doctor surgery where bloods were taken and antibiotics, painkillers were prescribed. I spent days sleeping on and off, body aching, fever, night sweats, very difficult few days. Thursday my doctor phoned and confirmed strep throat. It's now Sunday a week later I am beginning to feel better, I get fatigued at times but not lying down as much. This has been a very difficult week for me as I am a working mum of two teenagers who is very active and very rarely sits down. Good luck to you if you're reading this and you have strep throat, I wouldn't wish it on anyone.

Comment from: 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: March 13

Saturday I began to feel sore throat pain. By Sunday it was the worst ever! I went to a clinic and they did a rapid strep test. Positive. They even showed me what my throat looked like. White spots and it hurt so much to swallow. When I was a child my tonsils were removed. This pain was so intense it felt as if my tonsils were still there! I was prescribed Augmentin 875mg 2x per day. I have had a few doses and still have throat pain. Can't wait for this to pass!

Just a Sore Throat or Strep Slideshow