Strep throat is a bacterial infection of the throat. Signs and symptoms of strep throat include headache, nausea, vomiting, sore throat, and fever.
Strep throat symptoms in infants and children are different than in adults. Strep throat is contagious and is generally passed from person-to-person. Treatment for strep throat symptoms include home remedies and OTC medication; however, the only cure for strep throat are antibiotics.Read more: Strep Throat (Treatment, Causes, Home Remedies) Article
Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
Sore Throat or Strep Throat? How to Tell the Difference
Is this a sore throat or could it be strep throat? Your medical care depends on knowing if you have a viral infection or a...
Is It Contagious? What Diseases Are Contagious?
Is it contagious? Take this quiz to learn about contagious diseases, how contagious diseases are spread, and myths and facts...
Strep (Streptococcal) Throat Infection Quiz: Test Your Infectious Disease IQ
Take the Strep (Streptococcal) Throat Infection Quiz to learn about causes, symptoms, treatments, prevention methods, diagnosis,...
Picture of Strep Throat
Strep infection often produces a distinct pattern of white patches in the throat and on the tonsils, as well as red swollen...
Picture of Tonsils
The tonsils (palatine tonsils) are a pair of soft tissue masses located at the rear of the throat (pharynx). See a picture of the...
Childhood Diseases: Measles, Mumps, & More
Is your child at risk for these childhood diseases? Know what to look for and when to call the doctor for conditions such as...
Related Disease Conditions
Swimmer's Ear (Symptoms, Pain Remedies, Treatment, Prevention)
Swimmer's ear (external otitis) is an infection of the skin that covers the outer ear canal. Causes of swimmer's ear include...
Sore Throat Home Remedies
Natural and home remedies for sore throat symptoms and pain relief include essential oils, licorice gargles, slippery elm...
Swollen Lymph Nodes (Glands)
Lymph nodes help the body's immune system fight infections. Causes of swollen lymph nodes (glands) may include infection (viral,...
Fever in Adults and Children
Although a fever technically is any body temperature above the normal of 98.6 F (37 C), in practice, a person is usually not...
Upper Respiratory Tract Infection (URTI)
An upper respiratory infection is a contagious infection of the structures of the upper respiratory tract, which includes the...
Sore throat (throat pain) usually is described as pain or discomfort in the throat area. A sore throat may be caused...
Is Strep Throat Contagious?
Strep throat is caused by group A streptococcus bacterium. Symptoms of strep throat include sore throat, white patches or spots...
Group B Strep
Group B strep are bacteria called Streptococcus agalactiae that may sometimes cause infections both in a pregnant woman and her...
Tonsillitis and Adenoiditis
Tonsillitis is a contagious infection with symptoms of bad breath, snoring, congestion, headache, hoarseness, laryngitis, and...
Is Tonsillitis Contagious?
Tonsillitis is a common infection, especially in kids. Tonsillitis is caused by viruses and bacteria like the flu and herpes...
Infectious mononucleosis is a virus infection in which there is an increase of white blood cells that are mononuclear (with a...
Snoring (Causes, Aids, Remedies, Solutions)
Snoring, like all other sounds, is caused by vibrations that cause particles in the air to form sound waves. While we are asleep,...
Group A streptococcal infections are caused by group A streptococcus, a bacteria that causes a variety of health problems,...
Group A Streptococcal Infections
Second Source article from Government...
Is Sore Throat (Pharyngitis) Contagious?
The medical term for a sore throat is pharyngitis. There are many causes of a sore throat such as medications, diseases (GERD,...
Adenovirus 14 (Killer Cold Virus)
Adenovirus infection, particularly Ad14, or the "killer cold virus" has been on the increase in the past two years. Symptoms...
Heart Murmur in Newborns, Children, and Adults
A heart murmur is a heart problem that can occur, for example, during pregnancy or exercise, or it can be a symptom of serious...
Sleep apnea is defined as a reduction or cessation of breathing during sleep. The three types of sleep apnea are central apnea,...
Is a Cough Contagious?
There are many types of coughs: for example, dry cough, wet cough, a barking cough, whooping cough, stress induced cough, acute...
Rheumatic fever is a disease that sometimes occurs after a group A streptococcal infection of the throat. Symptoms and signs...
Erythema nodosum is a skin inflammation that results in reddish, painful, tender lumps most commonly located in the front of the...
Children's health is focused on the well-being of children from conception through adolescence. There are many aspects of...
Children's Cough Causes and Treatments
Children's cough causes include infection, acid reflux, asthma, allergies or sinus infection, whooping cough, and exposure to...
Teenagers recognize that they are developmentally between child and adult. Teen health prevention includes maintaining a healthy...
Treatment & Diagnosis
- Loss of Taste Sensation
- Drainage of Pus
- Bad Breath
- Swollen Lymph Nodes (Lymphadenopathy)
- Neck Pain (Cervicalgia)
- Strep Throat
- Sore Throat (Pharyngitis)
- How to Choose a Doctor
- Doctor: Checklist to Take To Your Doctor's Appointment
- Doctor: Getting the Most from Your Doctor's Appointment
- Contagious FAQs
- Strep Streptococcal Throat Infection FAQs
- What are granulomatosis with polyangiitis and erythema nodosum?
- Strep Throat Diagnosis & Treatment
- Tonsillectomy: Does My Child Need a Tonsillectomy?
- Killer Cold Virus (Adenovirus Strains)
- Hotel Hygiene: Is Your Hotel Making You Sick?
- What Is Cryptic Tonsillitis?
- What Diseases Are Similar to Kawasaki Disease?
- How Long Does It Take Strep to Go Away?
- Strep Throat Complications
- Strep Throat Symptoms
- Sore Throat Symptoms
- Sore Throat: Virus or Strep?
- Antibiotics 101
- Strep Throat Natural Home Remedies
Medications & Supplements
- Ibuprofen (Advil) vs. Naproxen (Aleve): Comparison of Differences
- cefadroxil - oral, Duricef
- cefadroxil suspension - oral, Duricef
- cephalexin (Keflex)
- Amoxicillin vs. Levaquin (Strength and Effectiveness)
- amoxicillin (Amoxil, Moxatag, Larotid)
- acetaminophen (Tylenol, Tylenol Arthritis Pain, Tylenol Ext, Little Fevers Children's Fever/Pain)
- ibuprofen (Advil, Children's Advil/Motrin, Medipren, Motrin, Nuprin, PediaCare Fever, and others)
- Augmentin (amoxicillin and clavulanic acid, Augmentin XR, Augmentin ES-600, Amoclan
- Amoxicillin vs. Augmentin (Comparison of Side Effects and Antibiotic Uses)
- cefixime (Suprax)
- cefpodoxime proxetil (Vantin, Banan) for Infections
- cefdinir (Omnicef has been discontinued)
- clindamycin, oral (Cleocin)
- Cipro, XR (ciprofloxacin) vs. Keflex (cephalexin)
- erythromycin (Ery-Tab, PCE)
- Keflex vs. Penicillin
- Penicillin (Antibiotics)
- azithromycin (Zithromax, Zithromax Z-Pak, Zithromax Tri-Pak, Zmax)
- (Lincocin) lincomycin hydrochloride
- cefuroxime, Ceftin, Zinacef
- clarithromycin, Biaxin
- Doxycycline vs. Keflex
- Cefdinir vs. Keflex
- cefprozil (Cefzil)
- Cefdinir vs. cefixime (Suprax) 3rd Generation Antibiotics
- cefadroxil, Duricef (Discontinued)
- penicillin V
- penicillin v potassium - oral liquid, Pen-Vee K, Veetids
- Cefdinir vs. Cefpodoxime
- penicillin V potassium (Beepen-VK, Penicillin VK, V-Cillin-K)
- cefaclor, Raniclor
- penicillin G benzathine (Bicillin L-A)
- Nitrofurantoin vs. Cephalexin
- Nitrofurantoin vs. Amoxicillin
Prevention & Wellness
- Health Tip: Strep Isn't an Ordinary Sore Throat
- Will These 2 Home Remedies Help Your Sore Throat?
- From Horses to Humans: Uncovering a Clue to Sore Throats
- Throat Bacteria Linked to Bone and Joint Infection in Kids
- Health Tip: Get the Facts About Antibiotics
- Health Tip: Recognize Signs of Strep Throat
- A New Antibiotic to the Rescue?
- Strep Throat: How Soon Can Kids Go Back to School?
- When to Keep Kids Home From School
- 1 in 5 Sore Throats Tied to Scary Bacteria, Study Finds
- Guinea Pigs Can Be Source of Serious Strep Infection
- Common Strep Bacteria May Be Morphing Into 'Superbug'
- Many Docs Wrongly Prescribe Powerful Antibiotics: Study
- Social Media Helps Pin Down Source of Foodborne Strep Throat Outbreak
- No Need to Toss Your Child's Toothbrush After Strep Throat, Study Suggests
- Does Tamiflu Work? Questions Continue
- Health Tip: Is That Sore Throat Strep?
- Health Tip: What's Behind a Sore Throat?
- Eyes May Possess Infection-Killing Power: Study
- U.S. Antibiotic Prescribing Rates Highest in South: Study
- Kids' Strep Throat: Likely No Need to Lose Tonsils
- New Strep Throat Guidelines Tackle Antibiotic Resistance
- Cough Medicine and Cough Syrups
- Flesh-Eating Bacteria No Cause for Panic, Experts Say
- New Guidelines on When Kids Need Tonsillectomies
Subscribe to MedicineNet's General Health Newsletter