Patient Comments: Stool Color Changes - Causes and Diagnosis

What was the cause of your stool to change (in color, texture, odor, etc.); and how was the diagnosis of the cause made? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Peaches, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 17

What an experience. I had been feeling slightly weak for a couple of months. I had been taking Ibuprofen for a year at bedtime just to sleep better. Huge mistake. I took one or two. My grown daughter kept me very upset all this time. One night I had black stool, bleeding all night long, and grew quickly too weak; I could not walk or stand. I was sweating and by 6 am called for my husband who could not hear me. So I called an ambulance myself. I was in a trauma unit for five or six hours and had half a dozen lines in my arm. I had my most painful experience ever in an in and out catheter. Do not ever agree to it. I was screaming. I never got up for 3 days. I had an upper endoscopy which was totally painless and almost enjoyable. They found multiple bleeding ulcers in my stomach. On day two they had not fed me anything. They woke me up every hour each night to stick me with needles and take my blood pressure. The rubber sheets kept my bed wet. Then the liquid diet began. My blood reading was 8; they spoke of a blood transfusion and gave me a heart monitor. Two hours later the doctor said I could go home. I thought I was dreaming. It has been 3 weeks since the bleed in my bed and I am walking around some, my stool has just began turning brown again but I stay in bed half the day. My doctor said I had been in very serious condition. I am on the usual medicines plus I bought a probiotic and krill oil.

Comment from: Boos111866, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 11

For the past few days, I have had bright red blood in my toilet after a bowel movement, one day last week, and it still won"t stop bleeding! I had a painful bowel movement that day and I felt a scratch 2 times. Like I said I have had the bright red blood, not to mention, when I stand up, blood drips on the floor. My husband wants me to tell my doctor or go to the hospital and I really don"t want to!

Comment from: Anonymous2530, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: August 16

A week back, I had diarrhea. It was normal; brown, liquid and frequent. Two to three days back, they were still frequent but the quantity had dramatically reduced. The first day, I had this black kind of mucus. It only happened once. After that if I had normal brown feces, then sometimes they'd have some tracing on them and sometimes they would be normal. Same goes with mucus; which has thankfully not been black again. It's dark red or brown. I wonder if eating a lot of ketchup can be a cause.

Comment from: Menopause, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 08

I have been taking venlafaxine 37.5 mg capsules once a day and it has changed the color of my stool to yellow.

Comment from: Marsha, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 14

I have been on multiple antibiotics over the last month and have had MRSA. My stool has been yellow to dark green. I have had diarrhea for over two weeks. I am now on the BRAT diet and it has slowed it down but has not stopped the diarrhea.

Comment from: samsmom60, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 01

My poop color went from normal to pale yellow this weekend. I had been drinking a lot and not eating as much as I should. I have had some pancreatic problem in the past.

Comment from: MARK, 75 or over Male Published: September 16

Noticed for the last 10 days my stool has changed brown color to mustard yellow color. It is also softer than usual. No other symptoms. Health is good. Diet has not changed.

Subscribe to MedicineNet's General Health Newsletter