Patient Comments: Stool Color Changes - Color and Experience

What color, texture, or smell; is or was your stool when it changed? Please share your experience. Submit Your Comment

Comment from: BlaccBeauty , 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: June 14

My stool is jet black, doesn't really have an odor, but the fact that it is jet black scares me. I have back pain and lower abdominal pain at times. The only thing I can think of is that I take sleep aids often, perhaps that could part of the problem.

Comment from: DarthKal , 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: May 21

It started with a really bad stomach pain. My stool was pretty much water, and then moved to a mucus yellow color. Now it's a mucus black color, and I am still with crazy stomach pain as well.

Comment from: Joyce, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 18

My stools are pale, and the smell is very strong. Stool was infrequent. It will be dark and then flip to pale.

Comment from: Tulanebill, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: December 19

I have had chronic difficulty with constipation for a while, and was taking various forms of laxatives, milk of magnesia, and pills to ease digestion, having had various surgeries over the years for aneurysm, heart bypass, etc. Recently the difficulty of bowel movements has increased, and the last 2 or 3 days, very loose stools, almost liquid, appeared almost black. My daughter constantly fusses at me for not hydrating enough with water. I wonder if that could be the problem. I also have lower back pains frequently.

Comment from: Janine, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 18

My stool has been black, green, and bloody. I have hemorrhoids. I go up to 4 times a day, with different consistency. I have gas and bloating my MCV is 101.0. My MCH is 33.4. I wonder if I could have celiac; my grandson does.

Comment from: Waz, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: May 30

I have a green runny stool and dark green liquid in my stools.

Comment from: Leah, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 29

I'm 2 years post gastric bypass surgery and my stools are greyish and pasty in color and texture, I don't know why (sorry for the details).

Comment from: SA, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 22

In the past four days, my stool has ranged from clear liquid and black sand to brown mucus to watery green.

Comment from: plautz8, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: April 17

Four Months ago I started feeling nauseous after eating. I was bloated and felt like throwing up which I did an hour after eating. I became very weak and felt like passing out. This kept happening for another week. Within 4 hours of eating I would have a diarrhea bowel movement and the stool would be greenish. Sometimes it would just be loose stool but in the last 4 months I no longer feel hungry. Maybe because I am always bloated after eating. It doesn"t matter what I eat, the results are the same. I went to the emergency room one night and they checked my heart, did blood samples and found nothing. I saw the doctor about 6 times and they also did stool tests, blood work, thyroid tests, and found no virus or bacteria. Everything came back negative. Next, the doctor wants to do a colon scope and an endoscopy of the stomach. Since it is the intestines, I will do that test but I don"t want a tube put down my throat into my stomach. I constantly feel cramps and pains in the intestines especially after eating. Now it is usually the next day before diarrhea after eating and the stool is still green.

Comment from: pmhoal, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: October 01

One in early morning the stool was dark black with lots blood. I got severe weakness and head was reeling. I visited consultant (surgeon) and after CT scan large diverticulum was observed. Today i am weak, but have no symptoms.

Comment from: Afaf suwailem, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: August 08

My stools became greasy and lightly brown after 2 weeks of using vitamin D3, I wonder if it is from the vitamin.

Comment from: SoCalpain, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: February 15

I was diagnosed with celiac disease 7 months ago, but I'm guessing I've had it for many years. Over the past 20 years, I've had stomach issues and frequent diarrhea issues, and have run tests, colonoscopies, endoscopies, with no conclusions. I'm on a strict gluten free diet, yet periodically I get intense pain/cramps in my upper abdomen area, and have yellowy stool both diarrhea and non-diarrhea.

Comment from: Betsy, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 09

I had normally formed, brown-colored stool, then after a few days of stopping drinking Diet Coke (my only diet change) it is light, clay-colored.

Comment from: Kellie, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 21

I have had yellow liquid stool for about a month now. Then in the last few days it went a very dark green and now it has gone back to yellow and has black flecks in it. I have just started to get abdominal pain. I realize now I had better go to the doctor but am scared to.

Comment from: Tara8272, 25-34 Female (Caregiver) Published: January 29

It is my 9 year old child's stool. It was about the size of rabbit poop, and each piece was being held together by a strand of mucus and then the small stool was coated with the mucus as well. It is very, very smelly, brownish, clay color.

Comment from: Victorianna, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 05

I had a liver biopsy about a year ago and I was told I had a fatty liver and that as far as cirrhosis goes the doctor stated that probably not even a stage 1. Unfortunately, that was all I was told so every little thing, like a different color stool, throws me into a spin. I admire doctors for what they do but it has been a while since I had a doctor spend more than 10 minutes with me.

Comment from: Tmoney, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 04

My stool has been green for about five days. A few weeks ago, I was taking Vicodin for a rib injury. It caused constipation but no change in the color, just hardened. My stool is soft now. I am also taking topical medicines for eczema. I am in relatively good health.

Comment from: Cweb205, 19-24 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 15

My daughter's stools are like red sand. There is no blood, but it is just literally like red sand. She is a cancer survivor for 10 years now. She has been in 3 patient hospitalizations and still there is no diagnosis. There seems to be no information on the web.

Comment from: Shah, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: October 01

I am passing dark, blackish stools, and I am very worried. After reading about internal bleeding, I am terrified. It started when I started fasting. All I been eating is chicken drumsticks.

Comment from: yvonne, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: October 01

I have had small white chunks in my stool. I had previously been taking long term antibiotics and my doctor said that it caused "sloughing of my intestines." I have been off the antibiotics and continue to have these odd stools. Any suggestions on what this could be?

Comment from: suzie, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 01

My stool color is rusty, orange color.

Comment from: Tulanebilltson, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: December 19

It had been brown, but became more liquid than “stool” like.

Comment from: dysart, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 28

My stools have changed from full, medium brown, one time a day to small thin still medium brown many stools. This change has been since 2 months.

Comment from: Terri b, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 27

I have had a black stool for 4 days and I do not know the reason.

Comment from: katy, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 17

I have in the last few months had bowel changes and bleeding when I have a bowel movement, also pain in my back and cramps in my stomach.

Comment from: KT, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 08

I run often. During my run today I had diarrhea twice. No bowel movement for 9 hours and now it's very smelly, liquid with blood and it appears to be mucous on the toilet paper.

Comment from: Thundergut, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: November 21

I have been having diarrhea for one week now. Usually the stools are dark greenish-brown, mushy to a thick liquid. In addition I have been sustaining some painful intestinal cramping, especially before defecation. I don't know if this is viral, or what sort of pathogen may cause this. Other symptoms were one instance of vomiting, gas, bloating, malaise, and now with disrupted sleep, fatigue. My average stool frequency is from six to seven times in 24 hour period. Somewhat urgent and voluminous. Urgency had caused one fecal accident as bathroom was occupied at the time I needed it.

Comment from: globetrotter12, 45-54 Male (Caregiver) Published: May 21

In the last two weeks, the color of my stools have become green and dark gray.

Subscribe to MedicineNet's General Health Newsletter