Patient Comments: Stool Color Changes - Color and Experience

What color, texture, or smell; is or was your stool when it changed? Please share your experience. Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Janine, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 18

My stool has been black, green, and bloody. I have hemorrhoids. I go up to 4 times a day, with different consistency. I have gas and bloating my MCV is 101.0. My MCH is 33.4. I wonder if I could have celiac; my grandson does.

Comment from: plautz8, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: April 17

Four Months ago I started feeling nauseous after eating. I was bloated and felt like throwing up which I did an hour after eating. I became very weak and felt like passing out. This kept happening for another week. Within 4 hours of eating I would have a diarrhea bowel movement and the stool would be greenish. Sometimes it would just be loose stool but in the last 4 months I no longer feel hungry. Maybe because I am always bloated after eating. It doesn"t matter what I eat, the results are the same. I went to the emergency room one night and they checked my heart, did blood samples and found nothing. I saw the doctor about 6 times and they also did stool tests, blood work, thyroid tests, and found no virus or bacteria. Everything came back negative. Next, the doctor wants to do a colon scope and an endoscopy of the stomach. Since it is the intestines, I will do that test but I don"t want a tube put down my throat into my stomach. I constantly feel cramps and pains in the intestines especially after eating. Now it is usually the next day before diarrhea after eating and the stool is still green.

Comment from: pmhoal, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: October 01

One in early morning the stool was dark black with lots blood. I got severe weakness and head was reeling. I visited consultant (surgeon) and after CT scan large diverticulum was observed. Today i am weak, but have no symptoms.

Comment from: Afaf suwailem, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: August 08

My stools became greasy and lightly brown after 2 weeks of using vitamin D3, I wonder if it is from the vitamin.

Comment from: SoCalpain, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: February 15

I was diagnosed with celiac disease 7 months ago, but I'm guessing I've had it for many years. Over the past 20 years, I've had stomach issues and frequent diarrhea issues, and have run tests, colonoscopies, endoscopies, with no conclusions. I'm on a strict gluten free diet, yet periodically I get intense pain/cramps in my upper abdomen area, and have yellowy stool both diarrhea and non-diarrhea.

Comment from: dysart, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 28

My stools have changed from full, medium brown, one time a day to small thin still medium brown many stools. This change has been since 2 months.

Comment from: Betsy, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 09

I had normally formed, brown-colored stool, then after a few days of stopping drinking Diet Coke (my only diet change) it is light, clay-colored.

Comment from: Kellie, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 21

I have had yellow liquid stool for about a month now. Then in the last few days it went a very dark green and now it has gone back to yellow and has black flecks in it. I have just started to get abdominal pain. I realize now I had better go to the doctor but am scared to.

Comment from: Tara8272, 25-34 Female (Caregiver) Published: January 29

It is my 9 year old child's stool. It was about the size of rabbit poop, and each piece was being held together by a strand of mucus and then the small stool was coated with the mucus as well. It is very, very smelly, brownish, clay color.

Comment from: Victorianna, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 05

I had a liver biopsy about a year ago and I was told I had a fatty liver and that as far as cirrhosis goes the doctor stated that probably not even a stage 1. Unfortunately, that was all I was told so every little thing, like a different color stool, throws me into a spin. I admire doctors for what they do but it has been a while since I had a doctor spend more than 10 minutes with me.

Comment from: Tmoney, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 04

My stool has been green for about five days. A few weeks ago, I was taking Vicodin for a rib injury. It caused constipation but no change in the color, just hardened. My stool is soft now. I am also taking topical medicines for eczema. I am in relatively good health.

woman with abdominal pain
Comment from: Cweb205, 19-24 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 15

My daughter's stools are like red sand. There is no blood, but it is just literally like red sand. She is a cancer survivor for 10 years now. She has been in 3 patient hospitalizations and still there is no diagnosis. There seems to be no information on the web.

Comment from: Shah, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: October 01

I am passing dark, blackish stools, and I am very worried. After reading about internal bleeding, I am terrified. It started when I started fasting. All I been eating is chicken drumsticks.

Comment from: yvonne, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: October 01

I have had small white chunks in my stool. I had previously been taking long term antibiotics and my doctor said that it caused "sloughing of my intestines." I have been off the antibiotics and continue to have these odd stools. Any suggestions on what this could be?

Comment from: Terri b, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 27

I have had a black stool for 4 days and I do not know the reason.

Comment from: katy, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 17

I have in the last few months had bowel changes and bleeding when I have a bowel movement, also pain in my back and cramps in my stomach.

Comment from: KT, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 08

I run often. During my run today I had diarrhea twice. No bowel movement for 9 hours and now it's very smelly, liquid with blood and it appears to be mucous on the toilet paper.

Comment from: Thundergut, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: November 21

I have been having diarrhea for one week now. Usually the stools are dark greenish-brown, mushy to a thick liquid. In addition I have been sustaining some painful intestinal cramping, especially before defecation. I don't know if this is viral, or what sort of pathogen may cause this. Other symptoms were one instance of vomiting, gas, bloating, malaise, and now with disrupted sleep, fatigue. My average stool frequency is from six to seven times in 24 hour period. Somewhat urgent and voluminous. Urgency had caused one fecal accident as bathroom was occupied at the time I needed it.

Comment from: globetrotter12, 45-54 Male (Caregiver) Published: May 21

In the last two weeks, the color of my stools have become green and dark gray.

woman with abdominal pain