Patient Comments: Still's Disease - Symptoms and Signs

What symptoms and signs did you experience with your Still's disease? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Geeb, 45-54 Female Published: December 01

After sleeping for a couple of hours I used to be awakened by a severe leg ache in my right leg ache that would go away when I stood and walked a little but would wake me again in a couple hours. I was getting little sleep and the pain and muscle weakness were extending into the day. I have found I can avoid the waking with pain if I sleep on my back or as someone else mentioned, hang the foot over the side of the bed. When I do these things the pain does not start and the muscles are almost back to normal. I think some pressure is blocking the circulation when lying on my side. Sound too simple? Try it.

Comment from: Felicia, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: March 26

Last year, I started seeing a salmon colored rash while at the state fair. I thought it was from being around all the animals, grass, dust, etc. But then my joints (ankles and wrist) started hurting. I thought it was from all of the walking. Then a few months later in October, it hit hard. My throat was extremely sore, muscles so sore I couldn't move, swollen wrist and knees, vomiting, extreme fatigue, difficulty breathing, and kept a high fever. These symptoms lasted for the whole month of October. I went to the doctor several times during this period. I was finally hospitalized the last week of October and diagnosed with Still's disease. I was treated with steroids and Ibuprofen. I also find that eating healthy and exercising every day helps .This disease can be very stressful and aggravating to deal with. I had to drop out of respiratory school because I was so sick and missed so much that I couldn't catch up. But you have to take it one day at a time and not over work yourself. Hope this helps!

Comment from: sherrybaker, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 08

It all started with an ear ache and Chantix to stop smoking. I then had a rash that I thought was hives. Then at work I could not walk then it was on – Still's disease!

Comment from: jeanh6521, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 26

I am 56 years old and was diagnosed with Still's disease after two months in two different hospitals. I have a severe and unusual case. I have been on prednisone since May 2011. When I start to taper off, I end up in the hospital. I had no symptoms before being hospitalized. I woke up one day and my knees/legs would not support my weight. My doctor sent me to the emergency room, and I was admitted to the hospital that night. I had many, many tests: CAT scans, biopsies, X-rays, etc., to rule out any other illnesses or cancer. I have Remicade infusions every four weeks and believe they are helping. Because I've been on steroids, I have fractured vertebrae at this point in time. I am also seeing a cardiologist, as my heart rate is extremely high. I take one day at a time and know that things will get better.

Comment from: 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: January 31

I was in bed after work when I could not move my legs. I also felt excruciating pain when trying to move my legs. After two days at home I went to the hospital in an ambulance and was after many tests diagnosed with Still's. That was in November 2012. Now it is Jan 2013 and I have pain mainly in my hands and wrists. I am able to walk but can't run. Medication is mainly Methotrexate and analgesics.

Comment from: Ed, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: October 05

It was in 1943, I was 12, and suddenly developed pneumonia. They gave me sulfa drugs, which didn't help. Meanwhile, my temperature went up close to 104 every afternoon around 4, and came down around 4 a.m. I lost an estimated one-third of my body weight, and was diagnosed having acute pericarditis and an enlarged heart. Then the swelling of the joints on all of my fingers developed. My appetite was normal. I was in bed for two months, returned to school two months after that. A heart murmur remained, but slowly disappeared in a year or two. I never had a relapse.

Comment from: Pain Go Away, 25-34 Female Published: July 12

I was diagnosed with Adult onset Still's Disease. My first symptoms was rashes on my thighs, then followed by very painful sore throat, and spiking temps. My physician first test me for strep throat which was negative. After being hospitalized for a few days and many tests run it was narrowed to Still's disease. I did not have any energy and severe joint pain in my shoulders and across top of my foot. Sometimes I could not lift my arms above my head or walk. My symptoms lasted for several months even after the diagnosis and medication. Thankfully as quickly as it was onset, overtime my pain disappeared. I have noticed if I have too much sugar (desserts and sweets) in my diet, my wrists will feel a little aches.

Get a Grip on Rheumatoid Arthritis