Patient Comments: Steroid Drug Withdrawal - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with steroid drug withdrawal?

Comment from: Soldieron, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 19

I was diagnosed with neurosarcoidosis and was on 60 mg steroid for a month and a half before weaning. I was weaned to 5 mg a week for four months and I have not been taking any steroids for a week and a half now. I have headaches occasionally and severe itching on my arms which I'm not sure is related or not. I've had off and on menstrual bleeding. Overall experience has not been terrible.

Comment from: Jan, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 10

I was on 5 mg of prednisolone for 9 years. My general physician had me taper off over 4 weeks but my specialist has said it should have been more like 3 months. I am experiencing weakness, twitching, tremors, dizziness and lack of appetite so the specialist has put me back on my full dose until my symptoms disappear and then we will discuss a much slower tapering off.

Comment from: Sue, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 01

I have been taking prednisone for approximately 10 months. I was on 40 mg daily then decreased by 5 mg per week until down to 5 mg, and was remaining on 5 mg for the last 6 weeks. I stopped taking them, to my delight, 6 days ago. I am 64 years old and expect to get a few aches etc., but the last couple of days, my arms and legs are aching. I am finding it hard to get out of the chair or walk upstairs. The dose has been low for at least 8 weeks now, it is likely I am having steroid drug withdrawal symptoms. If they are likely to stop soon I can put up with them, but with a holiday looming I want to be able to walk around. My underlying pathology is late onset eosinophilia asthma.

Comment from: Yogagirl, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 03

I was put on prednisone for 7 days, 20 mg for severe ear and sinus infection, along with antibiotics. No taper of prednisone and I ended up in the emergency room (ER) with severe migraine, diarrhea, and fainting. After 6 days of ER visit, side effects still persist, but not as bad. I am hoping all problems will cease in the next 5 days. Will never go to that doctor again, or take prednisone again. I asked the doctor for taper version, and he said no, this was better. He was wrong!

Comment from: Carolina, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 01

I was on prednisone for 2 weeks. I was given it for a bronchial problem and cough due to mold. I already had minor joint pain especially in one knee but I noticed the joint pain in the knee and shoulders was gone. I thought this drug was wonderful! However after stopping the regimen the joint pain returned much greater than before. I mentioned this to the doctor and he suggested Tylenol. I now get a rash and nausea and mild diarrhea. I get a bloated feeling whenever I eat and cannot finish my meals. It has been three weeks and the joint pain in my knee and shoulder and wrists still continues. I can barely sleep without Tylenol.

Comment from: amazed, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: August 03

I cannot believe physicians claim these side effects are not caused by prednisone intake and withdrawals. Everything I read in comments are classic symptoms I have had while taking prednisone and tapering as well as withdrawal. Saying these symptoms (so many that I read) are not related is absolutely amazing when we all have them. I just restarted because I had to due to temporal arteritis symptoms returning. I'm finally very clear as to what's related to the prednisone, regardless of what a physician states. The question is which is worse, the drug or the condition. I think the extent of the danger of this drug is simply not appreciated enough when doctors don't see the side effects as having anything to do with the drug. In my case, the symptoms are too frightening not to go back on it. The question is, for how long do I destroy my body in the hope to avoid withdrawals that may have lasting consequences.

Steroid Drug Withdrawal - Treatment Question: Please describe the treatment you received for steroid drug withdrawal.