Stem cells are referred to as undifferentiated cells because they have not yet committed to a developmental path to form specific organ tissue. There are a variety of stem cell types, including:
- adult peripheral blood,
- umbilical cord, and
- induced pluripotent stem cells.
- heart disease,
- Parkinson's disease,
- spinal cord injury,
- diabetes mellitus,
- amyotrophic lateral sclerosis,
- arthritis, and
Related Disease Conditions
Parkinson's disease is a slowly progressive neurological disease characterized by a fixed inexpressive face, a tremor at rest,...
Leukemia is a type of cancer of the blood cells in which the growth and development of the blood cells are abnormal. Strictly...
Diabetes (Type 1 and Type 2)
Diabetes is a chronic condition characterized by high levels of sugar (glucose) in the blood. The two types of diabetes are...
Arthritis is inflammation of one or more joints. When joints are inflamed they can develop stiffness, warmth, swelling, redness...
Heart disease (coronary artery disease) occurs when plaque builds up in the coronary arteries, the vessels that supply blood to...
Bone cancer is a rare type of cancer that occurs in cells that make up the bones. Primary bone cancer that arises in bone cells...
Cancer is a disease caused by an abnormal growth of cells, also called malignancy. It is a group of 100 different diseases, and...
Amyloidosis is a group of diseases resulting from abnormal deposition of certain proteins (amyloids) in various bodily areas. The...
Burns (First Aid)
Burn types are based on their severity: first-degree burns, second-degree burns, and third-degree burns. First-degree burns are...
Spinal Cord Injury: Treatments and Rehabilitation
When vertebrae are broken or dislocated, the result can cause traumatic injury to the spinal cord. A spinal cord injury can have...
ALS (Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis) Symptoms, Causes, Life Expectancy
Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS, Lou Gehrig's disease) is a neurological disease that progresses rapidly. The disease attacks...
Hodgkin's disease is a cancer of the lymphatic system with symptoms that include unexplained, recurring fevers, unexplained...
Retinitis pigmentosa (RP) is a genetic condition that causes retinal degeneration and eventual vision loss. Symptoms include...
Childhood Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia (ALL)
Childhood acute lymphoblastic leukemia is the most common type of cancer in children. Symptoms and signs include fever, easy...
Stem Cells - Experience
Please describe your experience with stem cells.Post View 4 Comments
Stem Cells - Umbilical Cord
Have you had your child's umbilical cord blood banked? Please share your experience.Post View 2 Comments
Stem Cells - Available Therapies
Did you or someone you know have stem cell therapy? Please discuss your experience.Post
Treatment & Diagnosis
Prevention & Wellness
- Can Babies Help Heart Patients?
- Adding Drug to Standard Care May Prolong Lymphoma Survival
- Could the Zika Virus Help Battle a Deadly Brain Cancer?
- Serious Problems at Florida Stem Cell Clinic
- Could Newborn Heart Stem Cells Jump-Start Old Hearts?
- Antibiotic Doesn't Prevent Lung Complication After Stem Cell Transplant
- In Mice, Brain Cells Discovered That Might Control Aging
- Even Your Bones Can Get Fat, Mouse Study Suggests
- Haywire Immune Cells May Help Cause Baldness
- Stem Cells for Knees: Promising Treatment or Hoax?
- Stem Cell Therapy for Autism Shows Promise
- Can Stem Cell 'Patch' Help Heart Failure?
- 'Menstrual Cycle in a Dish' Explores Intricacies of Female Body
- Stem Cells Hold Promise, Peril in Treating Seniors' Eye Disease
- Researchers Create Artificial Mouse 'Embryo'
- Gene Therapy: A Breakthrough for Sickle Cell Anemia?
- Stem Cell Transplants May Help Some With Multiple Sclerosis
- Scientists Create Part-Human, Part-Pig Embryo
- Can Teeth Repair Themselves Without Fillings?
- Heart Failure Drug Shows Promise in First Human Trial
- Mouse Study Hints at Damage Zika May Cause to Adult Brain
- Stem Cells Transplanted in Monkeys Without Anti-Rejection Drugs
- Cord-Blood Transplants Show Promise in Leukemia Treatment
- In Mice, a Way for Stem Cells to Build Bone
- Mouse Study Suggests Stem Cells May Reverse Stroke Damage
- Zika Kills Vital Nervous System Cells in Adult Mice, Study Finds
- Zika Now Tied to Miscarriage
- Cartilage Grown in Lab Might One Day Help Younger Arthritis Sufferers
- Research Sees Potential to Make Bone, Muscle From Human Stem Cells
- Hundreds of U.S. Clinics Sell Unapproved Stem Cell 'Therapies'
- Stem Cells Deemed Safe for ALS Patients
- New Treatment Shows Promise for Crippling Knee Arthritis
- MS Stem Cell Therapy Succeeds But Poses Risks
- Double Stem Cell Transplant May Help Fight a Childhood Cancer
- Stem Cells May Offer New Hope to Stroke Survivors
- Zika Destroys Fetal Brain Cells, Lab Study Finds
- Gene Therapy May Offer Hope for 'Bubble Boy' Disease
- Stem Cell Therapy Shows Promise Against Heart Failure
- Scientists Grow and Transplant Functioning Skin Onto Mice
- Scientists Say They've Created New Type of Stem Cells
- Scientists Use Stem Cells to Correct Infant Cataracts
- Another Neurological Disorder Tied to Zika
- Lack of Stem Cells May Be Key to Repeat Miscarriages
- In Mice, Scientists Turn Stem Cells Into Sperm
- Advanced 3D Printer Shows Potential for New Tissues, Organs
- Scientists Find Stem Cells That Might Repair Skull, Face Bones
- New Transplant Technique Might Free Type 1 Diabetics From Daily Injections
- Identifying Colon Cancer Patients Who May Need More Than Surgery
- Multiple Sclerosis Stem Cell Treatment: FAQ
- Antibody May Lower Rejection Rates After Stem Cell Transplant in Leukemia Patients
- Gene Therapy Shows Early Potential for Rare Immune System Disorder
- Delayed Clamping of Umbilical Cord May Be Better for Preemies
- Fetal Tissue Research: FAQ
- Beware Unregulated Stem Cell Treatments, Experts Warn
- New Stem Cell Tactic Shows Promise for Heart Failure
- Gene Therapy Shows Promise for Rare Immune Disorder
- New Drug May Help Keep Hodgkin Lymphoma at Bay
- Early Study Says Stem Cells May Reverse Multiple Sclerosis Disability
- Stem Cell Therapy Fixes Post-Surgical Airway Abnormality
- Random Mutations Responsible for About Two-Thirds of Cancer Risk: Study
- Scientists Get Closer to Producing Egg, Sperm From Stem Cells
- Some NFL Players Use Unproven Stem Cell Therapies: Report
- Researchers Find Stem Cells That Help Nails Regenerate
- Scientists Create Tiny Stomachs From Stem Cells
- Did Nose Cells Help Paralyzed Man Walk?
- Scientists Grow, Implant Human Intestinal Tissue in Mice
- Embryonic Stem Cell Therapy Shows Long-Term Effectiveness, Safety
- Scientists Inch Closer to Alzheimer's Origins
- Stem Cell Success Raises Hopes of Type 1 Diabetes Cure
- Gene Therapy Shows Potential for 'Bubble Boy' Disease
- Could a Fading Sense of Smell Point to Earlier Death?
- Stem Cell Research Offers Clues About Schizophrenia
- Breast Milk May Protect Against Deadly Newborn Disease
- Newer Drug Helps Myeloma Patients Who Can't Have Transplant
- 2 Cases Suggest Stem Cell Transplant Might Ease 'Stiff Person' Syndrome
- Scientists Inch Closer Toward Using Stem Cells for Spinal Injuries
- Most Cosmetic Procedures Based on Stem Cells Are Bogus, Experts Say
- Early Stem Cell Transplant Vital in 'Bubble Boy' Disease
- Good Odds for Those Who Need Bone Marrow Donor, Study Finds
- Scientists Discover New Way to Make Human Platelets
- Health Highlights: July 6, 2014
- Scientists Use Stem Cells to Grow Human Corneas in Mice
- Less Toxic Transplant Treatment Offers Hope for Sickle Cell Patients
- Injection Treatment No Help for Hamstring Injuries, Study Says
- Study Supports Durability of Parkinson's Treatment
- Low-Power Laser May Trigger Tooth Repair
- Kidney Transplant Beats Intensive Dialysis, Study Says
- Stem Cells Reverse MS-Like Illness in Mice
- Scientists Get Closer to the Stem Cells That May Drive Cancers
- Stem Cells Used to Regenerate Heart Muscle in Monkeys
- Doctors Regrow Large Areas of Muscle Lost in Injured Soldiers
- Stem Cells Yield Lab-Grown Skin, Researchers Say
- Scientists Study Gene Clues From 115-Year-Old Woman
- Stem Cells Show Promise for Stroke Recovery
- New Clues to Link Between MS Drug Tysabri and Rare Brain Disease
- Stem Cells May Rejuvenate Failing Hearts, Study Suggests
- New Gene 'Atlas' Maps Human DNA Activity
- New Clues to Link Between MS Drug Tysabri and Rare Brain Disease
- New Way to Create Embryonic Stem Cells Discovered
- Music Therapy May Help Teens With Cancer Cope
- Baldness Cure May Have Inched a Bit Closer
- Could Stem Cells Cure Drug-Resistant Tuberculosis?
- Mouse Study Hints at Plastics Chemical's Link to Prostate Cancer Risk
- Early Stem Cell Transplant May Benefit Some Non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma Patients
- First Windpipe Transplant Holding Up Over Time: Report
- Stem Cells From Fat Might Improve Plastic Surgery
- Advance Seen in Turning Adult Cells Into Stem Cells
- Scientists Grow 'Model Brain' From Stem Cells
- Scientists Create Blood Vessels in Mice Using Human Stem Cells
- Scientists Use HIV to 'Cure' 2 Rare Genetic Diseases
- First Organ Grown From Stem Cells Alone: Report
- No Trace of HIV After Stem-Cell Transplants, Researchers Say
- Stem Cell Therapy Cures Type 1 Diabetes in Mice
- Scientists Use Cloning Technique to Produce Human Stem Cells
- Alligator Study Gives Clues to Regrowing Lost Teeth
- Many Kids Who Undergo Stem Cell Transplants Must Return to Hospital
- Ultrasound Waves, Bone Marrow Cells Show Promise in Heart Failure Patients
- Human Gene Patent Case Goes to Supreme Court
- Stem Cells to Relieve Low Back Pain?
- Grow Your Own Replacement Tooth?
- Stem Cell Technology May Help Rejuvenate Immune Cells
- Blood Cancer Patients May Benefit From New Transplant Technique
- Two Years On, Stem Cells Still Healing Damaged Hearts
- Stem Cells From Donor May Help Heal Heart
- Stem Cells to Cartilage? Promising Results Seen in Mice
- Blood or Bone Marrow Better for Stem Cell Transplants?
- Could Stem Cells Treat Autism? Newly Approved Study May Tell
- Stem Cell Transplants May Show Promise for Multiple Sclerosis
- Stem Cell Transplant May Spur Heart Disease Risk: Study
- Scientists Map Genetic 'Blueprint' of Heart
- Human Stem Cells Restore Hearing to Deaf Gerbils in Study
- Stem Cells Fix Bladder Leakage in Mice, Study Finds
- Study Uses Stem Cells to Boost Red Blood Cell Production
- New Clues to How HIV Infects Body's Cells
- Evidence Grows That Cancer Has Its Own Stem Cells
- Doctors Report Historic Transplant in Child
- Blood Vessels Made From Liposuction Fat
- Stem Cells Show Promise as Heart Failure Treatment
- Patients' Skin Cells Yield Research Model for Alzheimer's
- HIV Drug May Prevent Bone Marrow Transplant Complication
- Cell-Based 'Tracking Devices' Might Help Monitor Treatments
- Scientists Use Stem Cells to Mimic Huntington's Disease
- Myelodysplastic Syndrome Linked to Abnormal Stem Cells
- New Therapies Show Some Promise Against Pancreatic Cancer
- Scientists Develop New Method for Growing Bone
- First Stem Cell Vein Implant Helps Young Girl
- Experimental Stem Cell Treatment Tested for Type 1 Diabetes
- Stem Cells Behind Clogged Arteries, Mouse Study Reveals
- New Drug Effective for Rare Genetic Skin Cancer: Studies
- Skin Cells Turned Into Brain Cells in Lab Study
- Scientists Turn Skin Cells Into Cardiac Cells to Help Failing Hearts
- Stem Cell Study Shows Promising Results Against Heart Failure
- Researchers Rejuvenate Blood-Forming Stem Cells in Mice
- Health Highlights: April 18, 2012
- Improved Stem Cell Line May Avoid Tumor Risk: Study
- Drugs Previously Thought to Be Toxic May Stop Spread of Cancer
- Stem-Cell Trial Failed to Treat Heart Failure
- Altered Stem Cells Limit Transplant Rejection
- Future Fertility Fix? Egg-Producing Stem Cells Found in Human Ovaries
- Health Highlights: Feb. 22, 2012
- Health Highlights: Feb. 20, 2012
- Scarred Hearts Healed After Heart Attack
- Gene Research Offers Clues to Parkinson's Disease
- Stem Cells May Further Hepatitis C Research
- Stem Cell Therapy Shows Promise for Stroke, Studies Say
- Stem Cells: New Hope for Macular Degeneration
- Health Highlights: Jan. 22, 2012
- Health Highlights: Oct. 19, 2011
- Stem Cell Transplants May Treat Aggressive MS
- Gabrielle Giffords' Brain Injury: FAQ
- HIV/AIDS Cure? FAQ
- Stem Cell Treatment Restores Vision