Sexually transmitted diseases (STDs) are infections transmitted during sexual contact. They may be caused by viruses, bacteria, or parasites. STDs in men cause no symptoms or symptoms like
genital burning, itching, sores, rashes, or discharge.
Common infections that are sexually transmitted in men include gonorrhea, chlamydia, syphilis, hepatitis C and B, genital warts, human papillomavirus (HPV), and genital herpes.
Some STDs in men are treatable while others are not. STDs are diagnosed with tests that identify proteins or genetic material of the organisms causing the infection. The prognosis of an STD depends on whether the infection is treatable or not. Use of latex condoms can help reduce the risk of contracting an STD but it does not eliminate the risk entirely.Read more: STDs in Men Article
Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
STD Diagnosis, Images, Symptoms, Treatment
Learn about sexually transmitted diseases (STDs) including symptoms, signs, diagnosis, and treatment options. Get more...
Urinary Tract Infection (UTI) Symptoms, Diagnosis, Medication
Understand urinary tract infection (UTI) through pictures. Our experts describe urinary tract infection symptoms like pelvic...
HIV AIDS Facts: Symptoms and Treatments
What is HIV AIDS (human immunodeficiency virus-acquired immunodeficiency syndrome)? Discover myths and facts about living with...
Infidelity Quiz: Surviving Infidelity
How long does the average affair last? Learn about love, lies, and more with the Infidelity Quiz....
Genital Herpes Quiz: What is Genital Herpes?
What is genital herpes? Learn the causes, symptoms in men and women, and treatments for this common sexually transmitted skin...
Yeast Infection Quiz: Symptoms & Treatment
How much do you know about vaginal yeast infections? Learn the causes, symptoms, and treatments of a yeast infection with the...
STD Quiz: Symptoms, Testing & List
There are more sexually transmitted diseases than just the ones you've heard of. Find out what you've been missing with the STD...
Urinary Tract Infection Quiz
How would you know if you had urinary tract infection (UTI)? Take the Urinary Tract Infection in Adult Quiz to learn the causes,...
Picture of The Clap (Gonorrhea)
A sexually transmitted infection (STI) caused by the bacterium Neisseria gonorrhoea. See a picture of The Clap (Gonorrhea) and...
Picture of Syphilis
A sexually transmitted disease caused by Treponema pallidum, a microscopic organism called a spirochete. See a picture of...
Picture of Herpes Simplex Virus Type 2
A herpes virus that causes genital herpes, which is characterized by sores in the genital area. See a picture of Herpes Simplex...
Picture of HIV/AIDS
Acronym for the Human Immunodeficiency Virus, the cause of AIDS (acquired immunodeficiency syndrome). See a picture of HIV/AIDS...
Picture of Molluscum Contagiosum
A contagious disease of the skin marked by the occurrence of rounded soft tumors of the skin caused by the growth of a virus (one...
Picture of Chancroid
A sexually transmitted infection (STI) caused by the bacterium Haemophilus ducreyi. See a picture of Chancroid and learn more...
Picture of Chlamydia
A type of bacteria which causes an infection very similar to gonorrhea in the way that it is spread, the symptoms it produces,...
Picture of Genital Warts (HPV)
A wart in the moist skin of the genitals or around the anus. See a picture of Genital Warts (HPV) and learn more about the health...
Picture of Crabs (Pubic Lice)
Parasitic insects found in the genital area of humans. See a picture of Crabs (Pubic Lice) and learn more about the health topic....
Choosing Your Birth Control Method
What are your birth control options? Learn about birth control side effects and effectiveness. Discover birth control methods...
Screening Tests Every Man Should Have
Getting the right screening test at the right time is one of the most important things a man can do for his health. Learn at what...
Better Sex After 50
It's never too late to improve your sex life. Learn how to overcome common health conditions affecting those over 50 such as...
A Timeline of the HIV/AIDS Pandemic
Get a historical overview of the HIV/AIDS pandemic from human contraction to the present through this slideshow of pictures....
What Are HIV & AIDS? Symptoms, Treatment, and Prevention
HIV, or human immunodeficiency virus, causes acquired immunodeficiency syndrome, or AIDS. Learn about HIV positive, being HIV...
Zika Virus Symptoms, Pregnancy, Treatments, Vaccine
A quick guide to the Zika virus, its causes, symptoms, and treatment options. Find out how Zika is transmitted by mosquitoes,...
Related Disease Conditions
The word "rash" means an outbreak of red bumps on the body. The way people use this term, "a rash" can refer to many different...
Yeast Infection (in Women and Men)
Vaginal yeast infections in women are caused by an organism called Candida albicans. Symptoms of a vaginal yeast infection...
Genital Herpes in Women (Symptoms, Signs, Treatment)
Genital herpes is a sexually transmitted disease (STD) caused by the herpes simplex virus (HSV). Symptoms of genital herpes...
Urinary Tract Infections (UTIs)
A urinary tract infection (UTI) is an infection of the bladder, kidneys, ureters, or urethra. E. coli, a type of bacteria that...
Swollen Lymph Nodes (Causes, Locations, Symptoms, Treatments)
Lymph nodes help the body's immune system fight infections. Causes of swollen lymph nodes (glands) may include infection (viral,...
Chlamydia in Women (Symptoms and Cures)
Chlamydia is the most common sexually transmitted disease in the U.S. Signs and symptoms of chlamydia, a bacterial infection,...
Hepatitis C (HCV, Hep C)
Hepatitis C is an inflammation of the liver due to the hepatitis C virus (HCV), which is usually spread by blood transfusion,...
Cervical cancer is cancer of the entrance to the womb (uterus). Regular pelvic exams and Pap testing can detect precancerous...
Blood In Semen
Blood in semen is also known as hematospermia. Blood in semen can be caused by many conditions affecting the tubes that...
Trichomoniasis is a sexually transmitted disease (STD) caused by a parasite passed from person to person. Trichomoniasis can be...
Testicular Pain (Men and Boys: Causes, Symptoms, Treatment)
Testicular pain, or pain in the testicle or testicles are caused by a variety of diseases or conditions such as testicular...
Fatigue (Symptoms, Causes, Treatment)
Fatigue can be described in various ways. Sometimes fatigue is described as feeling a lack of energy and motivation (both mental...
Cytomegalovirus (CMV) is a virus that is spread from person to person via spit, semen, vaginal secretions, urine, blood, sexual...
Genital Warts in Women (HPV)
Genital warts is an infection caused by the human papillomavirus (HPV). It is the most common sexually transmitted infection...
Sexually Transmitted Diseases in Women (STD)
Sexually transmitted diseases, or STDs, are infections that are transmitted during any type of sexual exposure, including...
A urethral stricture, or narrowing of the urethra, may cause decreased urine output. Symptoms include painful urination, urinary...
Gonorrhea In Women
Gonorrhea is a bacterial infection transmitted during sexual contact. In women, symptoms include a yellow vaginal discharge,...
Birth Control Options (Types and Side Effects)
Birth control is available in a variety of methods and types. The method of birth control varies from person to person, and...
HPV (Human Papillomavirus Infection)
HPVs or human papillomaviruses are a group of viral infections of the skin and mucous membranes. Certain high-risk types of HPV...
Molluscum contagiosum is a skin disease that causes pink painless bumps on the skin. It typically resolves in six to 12 months....
Hepatitis B (HBV, Hep B)
The hepatitis B virus (HBV, hep B) is a unique, coated DNA virus belonging to the Hepadnaviridae family of viruses. The course of...
Is Chlamydia Contagious? (Symptoms and Transmission)
Chlamydia is a sexually tranmistted disease (STD) that is contagious. Chlaymida is spread through sexual contact (You cannot get...
Cervical dysplasia is a condition in which the cells of the inner lining of the cervix have precancerous changes. There are two...
Human Immunodeficiency Virus (HIV)
The human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) causes HIV infection and the acquired immunodeficiency syndrome (AIDS). Symptoms and signs...
Is a Urinary Tract Infection (UTI) Contagious?
Bacteria such as E. coli or Pseudomonas can cause a urinary tract infection (UTI). The incubation period for a UTI ranges from...
Is a Yeast Infection Contagious?
Yeast are a fungi that has many types. A type of yeast that can cause infection in humans is called Candida. Candida can infect...
Sexual Response Cycle (Phases of Sexual Response)
There are four phases to the sexual response for men and women. Couple do not usually reach each phase at the same time, and they...
Balanitis (Inflammation of the Head of the Penis)
What causes balanitis? Balanitis is a condition in which the skin of the head of the penis becomes inflamed. If the foreskin is...
Approximately 40 million children suffer abuse every year around the world, and more than 1,500 children die of abuse in the U.S....
The term sex addiction describes the behavior of someone who has an unusually strong sex drive or sexual obsession. Sex and...
Is Balanitis Contagious?
Balanitis is a condition in which the head of the penis and/or foreskin that surrounds the head of an uncircumcised penis becomes...
Pubic Lice (Crabs)
Pubic lice (crabs) are parasitic insects found in the genital area, and are primarily spread through sexual contact. Symptoms of...
Acquired Immunodeficiency Syndrome
AIDS is the advanced stage of HIV infection. Symptoms and signs of AIDS include pneumonia due to Pneumocystis jiroveci,...
Genital Warts in Men (HPV)
The HPV virus (genital warts) in men can cause health problems. Genital warts are confined primarily to the moist skin of the...
Hepatitis A and B Vaccinations
Hepatitis A and hepatitis B are the two most commnon viruses that infect the liver. Hepatitis A and Hepatitis B can be prevented...
Is Hepatitis Contagious?
Hepatitis means "inflammation of the liver," and there are several different types of such as A, B, C, D, and E. Some types of...
Men's health is an important component to a happy lifestyle and healthy relationships. Eating healthy, exercise, managing stress,...
Zika Virus (Zika Fever)
The Zika virus is transmitted by the bite of an infected Aedes mosquito. Symptoms and signs of a Zika virus infection include...
Antibiotic Resistance (Drug Resistance, Antimicrobial Resistance)
Drug resistance (antimicrobial resistance) is the ability of bacteria, fungi, parasites, and viruses to grow, even in the...
There are many forms of sexual assault, including rape, attempted rape, child molestation, sexual intercourse that you say no to,...
Enjoying a satisfying sex life as we age is important to both physical and mental health. As we age, diseases and conditions may...
Teenagers recognize that they are developmentally between child and adult. Teen health prevention includes maintaining a healthy...
Just about everybody masturbates. Masturbation itself is the self-stimulation of the male or female genitals to achieve sexual...
HIV vs. AIDS
Human immunodeficiency virus causes HIV infection. Acquired immunodeficiency syndrome (AIDS) is a condition that results after...
Sexually Transmitted Diseases and Pregnancy (STDs)
When you are pregnant, many sexually transmitted diseases (STDs) can be especially harmful to you and your baby. These STDs...
Sexual health information including birth control, impotence, herpes, sexually transmitted diseases, staying healthy, women's...
Reproductive health encompasses the beginning of menstruation for women, choosing the right birth control method for you and your...
Disease Prevention in Men
Disease prevention in men includes routine screening tests that are part of basic prevention medicine. Take an active role in...
Local ResourcesFind a local Urologist in your town
Treatment & Diagnosis
- Circumcision: Medical Pros and Cons
- HIV Testing
- Circumcision: The Surgical Procedure
- Natural Birth Control
- PCR (Polymerase Chain Reaction)
- Hemodialysis (Treatment for Kidney Failure)
- Birth Control: Surgical Sterilization
- HPV Test
- Barrier Methods of Birth Control
- Liver Transplant
- Gardasil HPV Vaccine
- Contraceptive Measures after Unprotected Sex
- Burning Urination (Dysuria)
- Rectal Bleeding (Blood in Stool, Hematochezia)
- Rectal Pain
- Penile Discharge
- Weight Loss
- Joint Pain
- Abdominal Pain
- Fatigue, Tiredness, and Lethargy
- Anal Itching (Pruritus Ani)
- Penile Pain
- Penile Itching
- Groin Pain
- Swollen Lymph Nodes (Lymphadenopathy)
- Memory Loss
- Testicular Pain (Pain in the Testicles)
- Blood in Semen
- Sore Throat (Pharyngitis)
- How to Choose a Doctor
- Doctor: Getting the Most from Your Doctor's Appointment
- Doctor: Checklist to Take To Your Doctor's Appointment
- Urinary Tract Infection FAQs
- STD FAQs
- Genital Herpes FAQs
- Yeast Infection FAQs
- Infidelity FAQs
- HPV Vaccine Recommendations for Girls, Boys, Women, and Men
- Oral Gonorrhea Symptoms
- Birth Control Types
- Genital Herpes Symptoms
- What Is Norwegian Scabies?
- Things You Should Know About the Penis
- Gonorrhea Treatment Recommendations Update
- Warts--A Common Infectious Disease
- Unprotected Sex Between HIV-Infected Partners: What's the Harm?
- Circumcise Or Not? - The Matter of AIDS
Medications & Supplements
- Cipro, Cipro XR (ciprofloxacin) Antibiotic Side Effects
- doxycycline (Vibramycin, Oracea, Adoxa, Atridox, Acticlate, Acticlate Cap, Doryx, Doxteric, Doxy)
- Valtrex (valacyclovir)
- amoxicillin (Amoxil, Moxatag, Larotid)
- erythromycin, Ery-Tab, PCE
- acyclovir, Zovirax
- Penicillin (Antibiotics)
- sulfamethoxazole, Gantanol, Gantanol DS
- azithromycin (Zithromax, Zithromax Z-Pak, Zithromax Tri-Pak, Zmax)
- ofloxacin, Floxin (Discontinued Brand)
- famciclovir, Famvir
- cefixime (Suprax)
- Gardasil (HPV Vaccine)
- tetracycline (Sumycin [Discontinued])
- cefprozil, Cefzil
- Cipro, XR (ciprofloxacin) vs. Keflex (cephalexin)
- Sage (Salvia officinalis, Sage Leaf, Common Sage, Garden Sage, Black Sage)
- probenecid, (Benemid - brand no longer available)
- Melissa officinalis (Lemon Balm, balm, Melissa, sweet balm)
- malathion (Ovide)
- Cefdinir vs. cefixime (Suprax) 3rd Generation Antibiotics
Prevention & Wellness
- Super Drug-Resistant Gonorrhea Coming to U.S., Experts Say
- Why More Teens Aren't Getting Protection Against Common STD
- STDs Hit All-Time High in U.S.
- Semen Harbors Wide Range of Viruses
- Tuskegee Syphilis Study Descendents Group Seeks Remaining Settlement Money
- Gonorrhea Becoming More Resistant to Drugs
- 2 Doses of HPV Shot Enough to Prevent Genital Warts: Study
- Did Syphilis Cause Painter Goya's Hearing Loss?
- Syphilis Rates Spike Among U.S. Gay, Bisexual Men: CDC
- Can HIV Drugs Boost Syphilis Risk?
- Pubic Grooming Tied to Higher STD Rates
- Injections Might Help Prevent Genital Herpes Transmission for Months: Study
- Sexually Transmitted Diseases Hit All-Time High: CDC
- Antibiotics Overprescribed for Possible STDs: Study
- Another STD Spurs Concern
- Syphilis on the Rise Among Gay, Bisexual Men: CDC
- HPV Vaccination Rates Lowest in States With Highest Cervical Cancer Rates: Study
- Playing the Field May Lower Prostate Cancer Risk: Study
- Young Homeless People With Friends at Lower Risk for STDs: Study
- New Treatments Show Promise Against Drug-Resistant Gonorrhea
- Millions of Americans Have an STD: Report
- Is 'Untreatable' Gonorrhea On the Way?
- New Vaccine Strategy May Fight Genital Herpes, Mouse Study Suggests
- Social Media Could Boost Condom Use, Study Suggests
- Too Few Girls Get HPV Vaccine Against Cancer: CDC
- New Policy Supports Choice for Male Circumcision
- Curbing Circumcision Boosts STDs, Study Contends
- Gonorrhea Resistant to All But One Antibiotic: CDC
- Unsafe Sex Common When Partner Cheats: Study
- Antibiotic-Resistant Gonorrhea Spreading: WHO
- Taking Anti-HIV Meds Prior to Exposure May Help Prevent Infection
- FDA Seems to Back Pill to Help Prevent HIV
- HPV Cancer Hits 8,000 Men, 18,000 Women a Year
- Sex Ed Becoming Less Prevalent in Grades 6-12
- Health Highlights: March 6, 2012
- Condom Knowledge Not Common Knowledge
- Experts Warn of Antibiotic-Resistant Gonorrhea
- Sex and the Elderly: STD Risk Often Ignored
- Oral HPV Infection Strikes Men More Than Women: Study
- More Americans Practicing Safe Sex, CDC Reports
- Herpes Drugs Don't Stop Herpes Spread
- Hopeful Genital Herpes Vaccine Misses the Mark
- Columbus Voyage Tied to Syphilis Spread?
- Study: HPV Vaccine Doesn't Encourage Risky Sexual Activity
- 19 Million New STD Infections Reported Annually, CDC Says
- Chlamydia Tops STDs Reported to CDC
- STD Trichomonas May Be More Common Than Thought
- CDC: Untreatable Gonorrhea a Possibility
- Genital Herpes' Silent Spread
- Half of Men Have Genital HPV
- How to Use Pills to Prevent HIV
- Michael Douglas: Throat Cancer Survivor
- Male Circumcision Cuts Women's Cervical Cancer Risk
- Youths With STDs May Not Admit They Had Sex
- Gardasil Approved for Anal Cancer Prevention
- U.S. Gonorrhea Rate Drops; Chlamydia, Syphilis Up
- 4 Things You Didn't Know About Oral Sex
- Happy, Healthy, Valentine!
- Syphilis Symptoms in Adults
- Safe Sex for Grown-Ups
- Birth Control Myths
- Virtual Sex
- Medical Myths Debunked
- STD: Get the STD Picture
- Condom Quiz: How Much Do You Know?
- Sexual Infections with Depo Provera?
- Genital Herpes - On The Rise!
- STI (Sexually Transmitted Infections) Awareness
- HIV/AIDS - Myth versus Reality
Subscribe to MedicineNet's General Health Newsletter