- rashes, or
Common STDs in men include:
Some STDs in men are treatable while others are not. STDs are diagnosed with tests that identify proteins or genetic material of the organisms causing the infection. The prognosis of an STD depends on whether the infection is treatable or not. Use of latex condoms can help reduce the risk of contracting an STD but it does not eliminate the risk entirely.Read more: STDs in Men Article
Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
STD Diagnosis, Images, Symptoms, Treatment
Learn about sexually transmitted diseases (STDs) including symptoms, signs, diagnosis, and treatment options. Get more...
What Is Scabies? Rash, Treatment, Symptoms, Pictures
Get the facts on scabies (itch mite) causes, signs and symptoms. Learn what scabies looks like and how to treat it through these...
Sex Tips for Men: How to Have a Better Sex Life
Learn sex tips for men that lead to more sexual pleasure such as better communication, focusing on pleasurable sensations,...
Better Sex After 50
It's never too late to improve your sex life. Learn how to overcome common health conditions affecting those over 50 such as...
HIV AIDS Facts: Symptoms and Treatments
What is HIV AIDS (human immunodeficiency virus-acquired immunodeficiency syndrome)? Discover myths and facts about living with...
Screening Tests Every Man Should Have
Getting the right screening test at the right time is one of the most important things a man can do for his health. Learn at what...
Infidelity Quiz: Surviving Infidelity
How long does the average affair last? Learn about love, lies, and more with the Infidelity Quiz....
Genital Herpes Quiz: What is Genital Herpes?
What is genital herpes? Learn the causes, symptoms in men and women, and treatments for this common sexually transmitted skin...
STD Quiz: Symptoms, Testing & List
There are more sexually transmitted diseases than just the ones you've heard of. Find out what you've been missing with the STD...
Choosing Your Birth Control Method
What are your birth control options? Learn about birth control side effects and effectiveness. Discover birth control methods...
Picture of The Clap (Gonorrhea)
A sexually transmitted infection (STI) caused by the bacterium Neisseria gonorrhoea. See a picture of The Clap (Gonorrhea) and...
Picture of Syphilis
A sexually transmitted disease caused by Treponema pallidum, a microscopic organism called a spirochete. See a picture of...
Picture of Herpes Simplex Virus Type 2
A herpes virus that causes genital herpes, which is characterized by sores in the genital area. See a picture of Herpes Simplex...
Picture of HIV/AIDS
Acronym for the Human Immunodeficiency Virus, the cause of AIDS (acquired immunodeficiency syndrome). See a picture of HIV/AIDS...
Picture of Molluscum Contagiosum
A contagious disease of the skin marked by the occurrence of rounded soft tumors of the skin caused by the growth of a virus (one...
Picture of LGV (Lymphogranuloma Venereum)
An uncommon genital or anorectal (affecting the anus and/or rectum) infection that is caused by a specific type of Chlamydia...
Picture of Chancroid
A sexually transmitted infection (STI) caused by the bacterium Haemophilus ducreyi. See a picture of Chancroid and learn more...
Picture of Chlamydia
A type of bacteria which causes an infection very similar to gonorrhea in the way that it is spread, the symptoms it produces,...
Picture of Genital Warts (HPV)
A wart in the moist skin of the genitals or around the anus. See a picture of Genital Warts (HPV) and learn more about the health...
Picture of Crabs (Pubic Lice)
Parasitic insects found in the genital area of humans. See a picture of Crabs (Pubic Lice) and learn more about the health topic....
A Timeline of the HIV/AIDS Pandemic
Get a historical overview of the HIV/AIDS pandemic from human contraction to the present through this slideshow of pictures....
Related Disease Conditions
Scabies are itch mites that burrow under the skin and produce intense itching that's usually worse at night. Symptoms of scabies...
The word "rash" means an outbreak of red bumps on the body. The way people use this term, "a rash" can refer to many different...
Pregnancy (Week By Week, Trimesters)
Signs and symptoms of pregnancy vary by stage (trimester). The earliest pregnancy symptom is typically a missed period, but...
Swollen Lymph Nodes (Causes, Locations, Symptoms, Treatments)
Lymph nodes help the body's immune system fight infections. Causes of swollen lymph nodes (glands) may include infection (viral,...
Liver disease can be cause by a variety of things including infection (hepatitis), diseases such as: gallstones, high...
Headaches can be divided into two categories: primary headaches and secondary headaches. Migraine headaches, tension headaches,...
Diarrhea is a change is the frequency and looseness of bowel movements. Symptoms associated with diarrhea are cramping, abdominal...
Genital Herpes in Women (Symptoms, Signs, Treatment)
Genital herpes is a sexually transmitted disease (STD) caused by the herpes simplex virus (HSV). Symptoms of genital herpes...
Chlamydia in Women (Symptoms and Cures)
Chlamydia is the most common sexually transmitted disease in the U.S. Signs and symptoms of chlamydia, a bacterial infection,...
Itch (Itching or Pruritus)
Itching can be a common problem. Itches can be localized or generalized. There are many causes of itching to include: infection...
Trichomoniasis is a sexually transmitted disease (STD) caused by a parasite passed from person to person. Trichomoniasis can be...
Cervical cancer is cancer of the entrance to the womb (uterus). Regular pelvic exams and Pap testing can detect precancerous...
Hepatitis C (HCV, Hep C)
Hepatitis C is an inflammation of the liver due to the hepatitis C virus (HCV), which is usually spread by blood transfusion,...
Stroke (Signs, Symptoms, Warning Signs)
A stroke is an interruption of the blood supply to part of the brain caused by either a blood clot (ischemic) or bleeding...
Liver (Anatomy and Function)
The liver is the largest gland and organ in the body. There are a variety of liver diseases caused by liver inflammation,...
Genital Warts in Women (HPV)
Genital warts is an infection caused by the human papillomavirus (HPV). It is the most common sexually transmitted infection...
Fatigue can be described in various ways. Sometimes fatigue is described as feeling a lack of energy and motivation (both mental...
Testicular Pain (Pain in the Testicles)
Testicular pain, or pain in the testicle or testicles are caused by a variety of diseases or conditions such as testicular...
Bladder Infection (Cystitis)
Bladder infection is an infection of the bladder, usually caused by bacteria or, rarely, by Candida. Certain people, including...
Cytomegalovirus (CMV) is a virus that is spread from person to person via spit, semen, vaginal secretions, urine, blood, sexual...
Pelvic Inflammatory Disease
Pelvic inflammatory disease (PID) is the most common and serious complication of sexually transmitted diseases (STDs), aside from...
Blood In Semen
Blood in semen is also known as hematospermia. Blood in semen can be caused by many conditions affecting the tubes that...
Prostatitis (Inflammation of the Prostate Gland)
Prostatitis is an inflammation of the prostate gland. Causes of prostatitis include STDs, bacteria from urinary tract...
Hepatitis B (HBV, Hep B)
The hepatitis B virus (HBV, hep B) is a unique, coated DNA virus belonging to the Hepadnaviridae family of viruses. The course of...
Sexually Transmitted Diseases in Women (STD)
Sexually transmitted diseases, or STDs, are infections that are transmitted during any type of sexual exposure, including...
Hepatitis (Viral Hepatitis, A, B, C, D, E, G)
Hepatitis is most often viral, due to infection with one of the hepatitis viruses (A, B, C, D, E, F (not confirmed), and G) or...
Dementia is defined as a significant loss of intellectual abilities such as memory capacity, severe enough to interfere with...
The time when boys and girls begin the process of sexual maturation is called puberty. During this time, both sexes undergo a...
Gonorrhea In Women
Gonorrhea is a bacterial infection transmitted during sexual contact. In women, symptoms include a yellow vaginal discharge,...
HPV (Human Papillomavirus Infection)
HPVs or human papillomaviruses are a group of viral infections of the skin and mucous membranes. Certain high-risk types of HPV...
A urethral stricture, or narrowing of the urethra, may cause decreased urine output. Symptoms include painful urination, urinary...
Abdominal Adhesions (Scar Tissue)
Abdominal adhesions (scar tissue) bands of scar tissue that form between abdominal organs and tissues. Symptoms of abdominal...
Healthy Living and Disease Prevention
The importance of a healthy lifestyle in disease prevention is widely understood and most people know that lifestyle changes and...
Nausea and Vomiting (Causes, Natural Remedies, Diet, Medication)
Nausea is an uneasiness of the stomach that often precedes vomiting. Nausea and vomiting are not diseases, but they are symptoms...
Cervical dysplasia is a condition in which the cells of the inner lining of the cervix have precancerous changes. There are two...
Stress occurs when forces from the outside world impinge on the individual. Stress is a normal part of life. However,...
Anal cancer, cancer located at the end of the large intestine, has symptoms that include anal or rectal bleeding, anal pain or...
Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm (Symptoms, Repair, Surgery, Survival Rate)
Abdominal aortic aneurysm is a ballooning or widening of the main artery (the aorta) as it courses down through the abdomen. Most...
Is Chlamydia Contagious? (Symptoms and Transmission)
Chlamydia is a sexually tranmistted disease (STD) that is contagious. Chlaymida is spread through sexual contact (You cannot get...
Encephalitis is a brain inflammation that causes sudden fever, vomiting, headache, light sensitivity, stiff neck and back,...
Signs and symptoms of penile cancer include a lump on the penis and redness, irritation, or a sore on the penis. Risk of penis...
Human Immunodeficiency Virus (HIV)
The human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) causes HIV infection and the acquired immunodeficiency syndrome (AIDS). Symptoms and signs...
Birth Control Options (Types and Side Effects)
Birth control is available in a variety of methods and types. The method of birth control varies from person to person, and...
Pubic Lice (Crabs)
Pubic lice (crabs) are parasitic insects found in the genital area, and are primarily spread through sexual contact. Symptoms of...
Is Scabies Contagious?
The Sarcoptes scabiei mite causes scabies in humans. Close skin-to-skin contact can transmit scabies. The incubation period for...
Balanitis (Inflammation of the Head of the Penis)
What causes balanitis? Balanitis is a condition in which the skin of the head of the penis becomes inflamed. If the foreskin is...
Reactive arthritis is a chronic, systemic rheumatic disease characterized by three conditions, including conjunctivitis, joint...
Approximately 40 million children suffer abuse every year around the world, and more than 1,500 children die of abuse in the U.S....
Urethral cancer is a rare form of cancer that primarily affects white females, people over 60 years of age, and those who have...
Acquired Immunodeficiency Syndrome
AIDS is the advanced stage of HIV infection. Symptoms and signs of AIDS include pneumonia due to Pneumocystis jiroveci,...
Is Sepsis Contagious?
Sepsis is a potentially life-threatening infection that may be caused by: bacteria, fungi, viruses, or parasites....
Aortic dissection is a small tear in the large blood vessel that leads from the heart and supplies blood to the body. There are...
Is Balanitis Contagious?
Balanitis is a condition in which the head of the penis and/or foreskin that surrounds the head of an uncircumcised penis becomes...
Genital Warts in Men (HPV)
The HPV virus (genital warts) in men can cause health problems. Genital warts are confined primarily to the moist skin of the...
Superior Vena Cava Syndrome
Superior vena cava syndrome is compression of the superior vena cava vein located in the upper chest. Causes of superior vena...
Zika Virus (Zika Fever)
The Zika virus is transmitted by the bite of an infected Aedes mosquito. Symptoms and signs of a Zika virus infection include...
Hepatitis A and B Vaccinations
Hepatitis A and hepatitis B are the two most commnon viruses that infect the liver. Hepatitis A and Hepatitis B can be prevented...
Men's health is an important component to a happy lifestyle and healthy relationships. Eating healthy, exercise, managing stress,...
Yaws is an infectious disease that mainly occurs in the tropical areas of South and Central America, Asia, Africa, and the...
Antibiotic Resistance (Drug Resistance, Antimicrobial Resistance)
Drug resistance (antimicrobial resistance) is the ability of bacteria, fungi, parasites, and viruses to grow, even in the...
There are many forms of sexual assault, including rape, attempted rape, child molestation, sexual intercourse that you say no to,...
Enjoying a satisfying sex life as we age is important to both physical and mental health. As we age, diseases and conditions may...
Is Hepatitis Contagious?
Hepatitis means "inflammation of the liver," and there are several different types of such as A, B, C, D, and E. Some types of...
Just about everybody masturbates. Masturbation itself is the self-stimulation of the male or female genitals to achieve sexual...
Sexual health information including birth control, impotence, herpes, sexually transmitted diseases, staying healthy, women's...
Teenagers recognize that they are developmentally between child and adult. Teen health prevention includes maintaining a healthy...
HIV vs. AIDS
Human immunodeficiency virus causes HIV infection. Acquired immunodeficiency syndrome (AIDS) is a condition that results after...
Sexually Transmitted Diseases and Pregnancy (STDs)
When you are pregnant, many sexually transmitted diseases (STDs) can be especially harmful to you and your baby. These STDs...
Reproductive health encompasses the beginning of menstruation for women, choosing the right birth control method for you and your...
Disease Prevention in Men
Disease prevention in men includes routine screening tests that are part of basic prevention medicine. Take an active role in...
Local ResourcesFind a local Urologist in your town
Treatment & Diagnosis
- Circumcision: Medical Pros and Cons
- Natural Birth Control
- HIV Testing
- PCR (Polymerase Chain Reaction)
- Circumcision: The Surgical Procedure
- Hemodialysis (Treatment for Kidney Failure)
- Liver Transplant
- Birth Control: Surgical Sterilization
- HPV Test
- Barrier Methods of Birth Control
- Contraceptive Measures after Unprotected Sex
- Gardasil HPV Vaccine
- Burning Urination
- Penile Discharge
- Rectal Pain
- Rectal Bleeding (Blood in Stool, Hematochezia)
- Joint Pain
- Weight Loss
- Abdominal Pain
- Penile Itching
- Fatigue, Tiredness, and Lethargy
- Penile Pain
- Swollen Lymph Nodes (Lymphadenopathy)
- Anal Itching (Pruritus Ani)
- Groin Pain
- Testicular Pain (Pain in the Testicles)
- Memory Loss
- Sore Throat (Pharyngitis)
- How to Choose a Doctor
- Blood in Semen
- Doctor: Checklist to Take To Your Doctor's Appointment
- Doctor: Getting the Most from Your Doctor's Appointment
- STD FAQs
- Genital Herpes FAQs
- Infidelity FAQs
- HPV Vaccine Recommendations for Girls, Boys, Women, and Men
- Oral Gonorrhea Symptoms
- Birth Control Types
- Genital Herpes Symptoms
- What Is Norwegian Scabies?
- Things You Should Know About the Penis
- Warts--A Common Infectious Disease
- Unprotected Sex Between HIV-Infected Partners: What's the Harm?
- Gonorrhea Treatment Recommendations Update
- Circumcise Or Not? - The Matter of AIDS
Medications & Supplements
- Cipro, Cipro XR (ciprofloxacin) Antibiotic
- doxycycline (Vibramycin, Oracea, Adoxa, Atridox, Acticlate, Acticlate Cap, Doryx, Doxteric, Doxy)
- amoxicillin (Amoxil, Moxatag, Larotid)
- Valtrex (valacyclovir)
- acyclovir, Zovirax
- azithromycin (Zithromax, Zithromax Z-Pak, Zithromax Tri-Pak, Zmax)
- erythromycin, Ery-Tab, PCE
- Penicillin (Antibiotics)
- ofloxacin, Floxin (Discontinued Brand)
- cefixime (Suprax)
- Gardasil (HPV Vaccine)
- famciclovir, Famvir
- sulfamethoxazole, Gantanol, Gantanol DS
- tetracycline (Sumycin [Discontinued])
- cefprozil, Cefzil
- Sage (Salvia officinalis, Sage Leaf, Common Sage, Garden Sage, Black Sage)
- Melissa officinalis (Lemon Balm, balm, Melissa, sweet balm)
- probenecid, (Benemid - brand no longer available)
- malathion (Ovide)
Prevention & Wellness
- STDs Hit All-Time High in U.S.
- Semen Harbors Wide Range of Viruses
- Tuskegee Syphilis Study Descendents Group Seeks Remaining Settlement Money
- Gonorrhea Becoming More Resistant to Drugs
- 2 Doses of HPV Shot Enough to Prevent Genital Warts: Study
- Did Syphilis Cause Painter Goya's Hearing Loss?
- Syphilis Rates Spike Among U.S. Gay, Bisexual Men: CDC
- Can HIV Drugs Boost Syphilis Risk?
- Pubic Grooming Tied to Higher STD Rates
- Injections Might Help Prevent Genital Herpes Transmission for Months: Study
- Sexually Transmitted Diseases Hit All-Time High: CDC
- Antibiotics Overprescribed for Possible STDs: Study
- Another STD Spurs Concern
- Syphilis on the Rise Among Gay, Bisexual Men: CDC
- HPV Vaccination Rates Lowest in States With Highest Cervical Cancer Rates: Study
- Playing the Field May Lower Prostate Cancer Risk: Study
- Young Homeless People With Friends at Lower Risk for STDs: Study
- New Treatments Show Promise Against Drug-Resistant Gonorrhea
- Millions of Americans Have an STD: Report
- Is 'Untreatable' Gonorrhea On the Way?
- New Vaccine Strategy May Fight Genital Herpes, Mouse Study Suggests
- Social Media Could Boost Condom Use, Study Suggests
- Too Few Girls Get HPV Vaccine Against Cancer: CDC
- New Policy Supports Choice for Male Circumcision
- Curbing Circumcision Boosts STDs, Study Contends
- Gonorrhea Resistant to All But One Antibiotic: CDC
- Unsafe Sex Common When Partner Cheats: Study
- Antibiotic-Resistant Gonorrhea Spreading: WHO
- Taking Anti-HIV Meds Prior to Exposure May Help Prevent Infection
- FDA Seems to Back Pill to Help Prevent HIV
- HPV Cancer Hits 8,000 Men, 18,000 Women a Year
- Sex Ed Becoming Less Prevalent in Grades 6-12
- Health Highlights: March 6, 2012
- Condom Knowledge Not Common Knowledge
- Experts Warn of Antibiotic-Resistant Gonorrhea
- Sex and the Elderly: STD Risk Often Ignored
- Oral HPV Infection Strikes Men More Than Women: Study
- More Americans Practicing Safe Sex, CDC Reports
- Herpes Drugs Don't Stop Herpes Spread
- Hopeful Genital Herpes Vaccine Misses the Mark
- Columbus Voyage Tied to Syphilis Spread?
- Study: HPV Vaccine Doesn't Encourage Risky Sexual Activity
- 19 Million New STD Infections Reported Annually, CDC Says
- Chlamydia Tops STDs Reported to CDC
- STD Trichomonas May Be More Common Than Thought
- CDC: Untreatable Gonorrhea a Possibility
- Genital Herpes' Silent Spread
- Half of Men Have Genital HPV
- How to Use Pills to Prevent HIV
- Michael Douglas: Throat Cancer Survivor
- Male Circumcision Cuts Women's Cervical Cancer Risk
- Youths With STDs May Not Admit They Had Sex
- Gardasil Approved for Anal Cancer Prevention
- U.S. Gonorrhea Rate Drops; Chlamydia, Syphilis Up
- 4 Things You Didn't Know About Oral Sex
- Happy, Healthy, Valentine!
- Syphilis Symptoms in Adults
- Safe Sex for Grown-Ups
- Birth Control Myths
- Virtual Sex
- Medical Myths Debunked
- STD: Get the STD Picture
- Condom Quiz: How Much Do You Know?
- Sexual Infections with Depo Provera?
- Genital Herpes - On The Rise!
- STI (Sexually Transmitted Infections) Awareness
- HIV/AIDS - Myth versus Reality
Subscribe to MedicineNet's General Health Newsletter