Puberty is the time in a child’s life when sexual maturation occurs. There are several stages of puberty. A child goes through many physical and internal changes during the various stages of puberty, beginning around the age of 8 years in girls and 10 years in boys, till the age of 18 years when they attain complete maturation. Read more: Stages of Puberty: In Boys and Girls Article
Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
How to Get Rid of Acne: Skin Care Tips
Want to know how to get rid of blackheads? Discover tips on clogged pores, sunscreen SPF and how to remove makeup for different...
Puberty In Girls Quiz: Stages of Puberty
Take the Puberty In Girls Quiz to learn the myths and facts about normal adolescent growth and development for teens and tweens.
Related Disease Conditions
The time when boys and girls begin the process of sexual maturation is called puberty. During this time, both sexes undergo a series of biological changes that include a rapid increase in height, bone growth, weight increase, the growth of pubic hair, breast development, and the onset of menstruation in girls, and testicle, penis, and muscle enlargement in boys.
Does Your Body Shape Change During Puberty?
Puberty is the phase when children become sexually mature. Many changes occur in the shape and appearance of the body during puberty.
How to talk to your kids about sex: Age to Age Ranges Guide
Conversations about sex shouldn’t be limited to one big “talk.” Instead, parents can discuss it with their kids throughout their childhood. Breaking down how to talk about sex by children’s age range can make the topic more approachable.
Treatment & Diagnosis
Prevention & Wellness
- Boys Born Very Prematurely May Age Faster as Men
- Gene Study Gives New Insight Into Puberty in Girls
- Early Puberty in Girls Might Be Linked to Bad Behavior
- Childhood Obesity Again Tied to Earlier Puberty in Girls
- Early Puberty Tied to Higher Odds of Substance Use in Teens: Survey
- Earlier Acne Outbreaks May Be Caused by Earlier Puberty: Experts
- Many Girls Now Begin Puberty at Age 7, 8
- In Young Girls, Obesity Linked to Early Puberty, Analysis Reveals
- Survey Links Puberty to Violent Behavior
- Chemicals in Beauty Products Tied to Early Puberty in Girls
- Later Puberty Seen for Obese Boys
Subscribe to MedicineNet's General Health Newsletter