Patient Comments: Spinal Cord Injury - Symptoms

What were the symptoms associated with your spinal cord injury? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: ctschell74, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: January 03

February 2016 I was diagnosed with cervical radiculopathy, motor and sensory disturbance. It is now almost 2018, and my fingers (ring and pinky, sometimes middle finger) can move now but still are weak, and I have atrophy in hand and forearm. I believe it is damage to the ulnar area. For first 5 months I was in relentless pain even while on NSAID, muscle relaxant and pain medicines. I now only take muscle relaxant at night if I need it. My whole life changed from this; I was a medical biller/data entry worker prior to injury. Injury was caused by degenerating and constant lifting of my elderly mother for 14 years in home care. When this spinal cord injury happened I was on disability for 6 months and then had to find another profession. I just finished up a year working in laundry at a retirement home for dementia residents. My fingers are doing better but still tire out but I have got hired as of January 2nd this coming year as a medical billing specialist and will see how this goes! I am still unable to key for over 4 and 1/2 minutes nonstop. If I break for a little bit I can restart up again. I've had an awful year and a half with this. I hope this next year will be better.

Comment from: gigi and tomh, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 15

I have CSF (cerebrospinal fluid) leaking. They found a sac of fluid sitting on L4 L5 S1, and drained to the stomach with shunt. I got meningitis 4 weeks later and didn't know my own name. They transferred me to 3 hospitals, and I had major surgery next morning. Four weeks later I am leaking it faster and doctor says he does know how to fix and can't go in to do another surgery as I got MRSA on top of it after surgery. All are trying to find another neurosurgeon but none will touch me due to my doctor already doing the surgery, he has nothing for me but an appointment in 5 months. My leak is already at 9 cm, and I won't know who I am in 5 months, and the headaches are crippling. He said he can't give me any more Fioricet even though problem is worse than when it started.

Comment from: Spitz, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 19

I fell and hurt my back. The doctor did all the tests, even a lumbar puncture, but I still can't sit or stand for long periods and I get these excruciating headaches since 2016. I think I have a spinal cord injury.

Subscribe to MedicineNet's General Health Newsletter