Sore throats are generally described as pain or discomfort in the throat area. A sore throat may be caused by:sore throat include a fever, cough, runny nose, hoarseness, earaches, sneezing, and body aches. Home remedies for a sore throat include warm soothing liquids and throat lozenges. OTC remedies for a sore throat include OTC pain relievers such as ibuprofen or acetaminophen. Antibiotics may be necessary for some cases of sore throat. Read more: Sore Throat Article
Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
Thyroid Problems Explained
Learn about thyroid problems such as hyperthyroidism, hypothyroidism, thyroid cancer, and more. Discover symptoms and treatments...
Hyperthyroidism Symptoms and Treatment
What is hyperthyroidism? Hyperthyroidism occurs when an overactive thyroid gland produces an excessive amount of thyroid...
Sore Throat or Strep Throat? How to Tell the Difference
Explore the types and causes of a sore throat through pictures, including strep throat, and learn how to find relief from that...
Sinus Infection (Sinusitis) Symptoms & Treatment
Sinus infection (sinusitis) symptoms can include headaches, a sore throat, and toothaches. Chronic sinusitis may be caused by...
Slideshow: 10 Daily Habits to Reduce Chronic Pain
Learn how to manage chronic pain. Explore 10 daily habits to reduce chronic pain and learn new ways to find pain relief....
Natural Remedies for Cold and Flu
What natural remedies work for the flu and common cold? Many claim cold symptoms and flu symptoms can be relieved with Echinacea,...
Chronic Pain Syndrome: Treatment and Management for CPS
What is chronic pain syndrome (CPS)? See causes, symptoms and treatment options including medications. Learn about pain...
Viral Infection Types, Treatment, and Prevention
Watch this slideshow on Viral Infections and learn about types, treatment, and prevention of illnesses caused by viruses....
Chronic Fatigue Syndrome Quiz: Symptoms & Treatment
Exhausted all the time? Maybe it's not all in the mind. Take the Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFS) Quiz to learn more about tricky...
Picture of Infectious Mononucleosis
A specific viral infection (with the Epstein-Barr virus) in which there is an increase of white blood cells that are mononuclear...
Picture of Infectious Mononucleosis
"Mono" and "kissing disease" are popular terms for this very common illness caused by the Epstein-Barr virus (EBV). See a picture...
Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFS) Symptoms and Diagnosis
Chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS) can occur at any age for men or women. Learn more about the causes of chronic fatigue syndrome...
Picture of Yeast Infections (Thrush in Babies)
Thrush is a yeast infection that causes white patches in the mouth and on the tongue. See a picture of Yeast Infection (Thrush)...
Picture of Influenza Virus
The flu is caused by viruses that infect the respiratory tract which are divided into three types, designated A, B, and C. See a...
Picture of Sinuses
The sinuses are an air-filled cavity in a dense portion of a skull bone. See a picture of the Sinuses and learn more about the...
How to Prevent the Common Cold
The common cold is arguably the most common human illness. Learn how long the common cold lasts, treatment for the common cold...
Enterovirus D68 (EV-D68): Symptoms and Treatment
What is Enterovirus D68? Learn about causes, symptoms and treatment for this deadly strain of EV-D68 virus that has sickened...
Related Disease Conditions
Dengue fever is contracted from the bite of a striped Aedes aegypti mosquito. Symptoms and signs of dengue include headache,...
Sinus Infection (Sinusitis)
Sinus infection (sinusitis) is caused by allergies, infection, and chemicals or other irritants of sinuses. Signs and symptoms...
Laryngitis is an inflammation of the voice box (vocal cords). The most common cause of acute laryngitis is infection, which...
Upper Respiratory Tract Infection
An upper respiratory infection is a contagious infection of the structures of the upper respiratory tract, which includes the...
25 Sore Throat Home Remedies
These 25 sore throat natural and home remedies can help soothe throat pain, and heal a sore throat caused by viral (common cold,...
Croup is a contagious viral infection that affects children's respiratory system. Symptoms include a barking cough, stridor,...
Tonsillitis is a contagious infection with symptoms such as: Bad...
Pityriasis rosea is a rash that begins with a large pink patch with well-defined scaly borders on the back, chest, or neck. In...
Chronic Rhinitis and Post-Nasal Drip
Chronic rhinitis and post-nasal drip symptoms include: An itchy, runny nose Sneezing Itchy ears, eyes, and...
Coxsackieviruses may be divided into two groups. Type A causes hand, foot, and mouth disease and conjunctivitis, while type B...
Infectious mononucleosis is a virus infection in which there is an increase of white blood cells that are mononuclear (with a...
Hand, Foot, and Mouth Disease
Hand, foot, and mouth syndrome is clinical pattern consisting of a rash on the hands and feet, and in the mouth. Hand, foot, and...
Hyperthyroidism is an excess of thyroid hormone resulting from an overactive thyroid gland. Symptoms can include increased...
The common cold (viral upper respiratory tract infection) is a contagious illness that may be caused by various viruses. Symptoms...
Sinus headache is caused by a sinus infection or inflammation of the sinus cavities. Symptoms of a sinus headache include pain,...
Cytomegalovirus (CMV) is a virus that is spread from person to person via spit, semen, vaginal secretions, urine, blood, sexual...
Strep throat is a bacterial infection of the throat. Signs and symptoms of strep throat include headache, nausea,...
Novel H1N1 influenza A virus infection (swine flu) is an infection that generally is transferred from an infected pig to a human,...
Is Strep Throat Contagious?
Strep throat is caused by group A streptococcus bacterium. Symptoms of strep throat are: sore throat, white patches or...
There are four major types of thyroid cancer: papillary, follicular, medullary, and anaplastic thyroid cancer. Tumors on the...
19 Tips on How to Stop a Cough
Coughing is a reflex that helps a person clear their airways of irritants. There are many causes of an excessive or severe...
Dry Mouth (Xerostomia)
Dry mouth is a common side effect of many prescription and non-prescription drugs and certain medical conditions. Symptoms of dry...
Barrett's esophagus occurs as a complication of chronic gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD), primarily in white males. GERD...
Is Tonsillitis Contagious?
Tonsillitis is a common infection, especially in kids. Tonsillitis is caused by viruses and bacteria like the flu and herpes...
Herpangina is a contagious illness often seen in children. It is caused by a Coxsackievirus or an enterovirus. Symptoms and signs...
Scarlet Fever (Scarlatina)
Scarlet fever, a bacterial infection caused by group A Streptococcus bacteria, causes symptoms and signs such as fever, rash with...
Is a Sinus Infection Contagious?
Sinus infection (sinusitis) is infection (viral, bacterial, or fungal) or inflammation of the sinuses. Symptoms of sinus...
Is Hand, Foot, and Mouth Disease (HFMD) Contagious?
Hand, foot, and mouth disease (HFMD) is a highly contagious disease caused by several enteroviruses. These viruses are...
Rheumatic fever is a disease that sometimes occurs after a group A streptococcal infection of the throat. Symptoms and signs...
Bad breath can result from poor oral hygiene habits and may be a sign of other health problems. Bad breath, also called...
Acid backing up into the larynx (voice box) causes reflux laryngitis. Irritation of the lining of the esophagus, larynx, and...
Human Immunodeficiency Virus (HIV)
The human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) causes HIV infection and the acquired immunodeficiency syndrome (AIDS). Symptoms and signs...
Is Mononucleosis (Mono) Contagious?
Mononucleosis (mono) is caused by the Epstein-Barr virus and can be transmitted by an infected person's saliva. Mono symptoms and...
Influenza (flu) is a respiratory illness caused by a virus. Flu symptoms include fever, cough, sore throat, runny nose, headache,...
Adenovirus infection, particularly Ad14, or the "killer cold virus" has been on the increase in the past two years. Symptoms...
Cold, Flu, Allergy Treatments
Before treating a cold, the flu, or allergies with over-the-counter (OTC) medications, it's important to know what's causing the...
Head and Neck Cancer
Head and neck cancer is cancer of the oral cavity, salivary glands, paranasal sinuses and nasal cavity, pharynx, larynx, or lymph...
Is Laryngitis Contagious?
Laryngitis is inflammation and swelling of the voice box (larynx). Causes of laryngitis are viral, bacterial, fungal, strenuous...
Still's disease (systemic-onset juvenile rheumatoid arthritis) is a disorder characterized by inflammation with high fever...
Epstein-Barr Virus (EBV)
The Epstein-Barr virus (EBV) is a common cause of mononucleosis (viral pharyngitis). Symptoms and signs of an EBV infection...
A polio infection causes symptoms and signs such as paralysis, limb deformities, and even death. There is no curative treatment...
Bronchiolitis is an illness caused by a variety of viruses that is most common during the winter season. Bronchiolitis symptoms...
Is Sore Throat (Pharyngitis) Contagious?
The medical term for a sore throat is pharyngitis. There are many causes of a sore throat such as medications, diseases (GERD,...
Diphtheria is a disease that causes symptoms and signs such as fever, enlarged lymph nodes, and swallowing problems. Erythromycin...
Is a Cough Contagious?
There are many types of coughs: for example, dry cough, wet cough, a barking cough, whooping cough, stress induced...
Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFS or SEID)
Chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS) or systemic exertion intolerance disease (SEID) is a debilitating and complex disorder...
Measles (rubeola) is a highly contagious disease that's caused by a virus. Symptoms include a rash, high fever, cough, runny...
Marburg Virus Disease
Marburg virus disease is a zoonotic infection that produces symptoms such as chills, headaches, fever, and muscle aches. The...
Ebola (Ebola Virus Disease or Ebola Hemorrhagic Fever)
Ebola hemorrhagic fever (HF) is an often-fatal disease that causes fever, headache, vomiting, diarrhea, sore throat, stomach...
Is Scarlet Fever Contagious?
Group A strep bacteria cause scarlet fever. Scarlet fever is transmitted via person-to-person contact and by coming in contact...
Bird Flu (Avian Influenza, Avian Flu)
Bird flu (avian flu, avian influenza) infection in humans may result from contact with infected poultry. There is a vaccine to...
Sick Building Syndrome
Multiple chemical sensitivity (MCS) or also referred to as sick building syndrome or environmental illness is the name given by...
Tularemia (rabbit fever) is an infection caused by the Francisella tularensis bacteria. People can become infected with tularemia...
Children's Cough Causes and Treatments
Children's cough causes include infection, acid reflux, asthma, allergies or sinus infection, whooping cough, and exposure to...
Enterovirus (Non-Polio Enterovirus Infection)
Non-polio enteroviruses cause a variety of infections, including aseptic meningitis, hand, foot, and mouth disease, herpangina,...
Children's health is focused on the well-being of children from conception through adolescence. There are many aspects of...
Nasopharyngeal cancer is a form of cancer in which malignant cells form in the nasopharynx tissues. Risk factors include being of...
Cold vs. Flu
Though the common cold and flu share many signs and symptoms, they are caused by different viruses. Signs and symptoms include...
People with bulimia nervosa, an eating disorder that involves episodes of bingeing and purging, experience symptoms and signs...
Is Swine Flu (H1N1) Contagious?
Swine flu (H1N1) is a contagious virus that spreads when an infected individual expels virus-containing droplets into the air...
Lassa fever is a viral hemorrhagic fever that causes flu-like symptoms. Ribavirin is the standard treatment for Lassa fever....
Is the Ebola Virus Contagious?
Ebola hemorrhagic fever is a highly contagious disease that is transmitted through direct contact. Ebola's incubation period...
Headaches in Children
Kids get headaches and migraines too. Many adults with headaches started having them as kids, in fact, 20% of adult headache...
Sore Throat - Symptoms
What were your symptoms of sore throat and how long did they last?Post View 54 Comments
Sore Throat - Home Remedies
What home remedies were helpful with the symptoms of sore throat?Post View 10 Comments
Sore Throat - OTC Remedies
What OTC remedies were helpful with the symptoms of sore throat?Post View 6 Comments
Sore Throat - Antibiotics
What antibiotics were you prescribed for sore throat and why?Post View 2 Comments
Sore Throat - Experience
Please share your experience with sore throat.Post View 4 Comments
Sore Throat - Strep Throat
Please share your experience with strep or sore throat.Post
Treatment & Diagnosis
- Chronic Fatigue FAQs
- Bird Flu: What Is Bird Flu? Should We Be Concerned?
- Strep Throat Complications
- How Does a Person Catch Swine Flu?
- Sore Throat: Is It Mono or Strep Throat?
- Strep Throat Symptoms
- Flu: What to Do if You Get the Flu
- Sore Throat Symptoms
- Sore Throat: Virus or Strep?
- 7 Strep Throat Home Remedies
- Cat Scratch: What Is Cat Scratch Disease?
- Hotel Hygiene: Is Your Hotel Making You Sick?
- Tonsillectomy: Does My Child Need a Tonsillectomy?
- Swine Flu: One New York City Pediatrician's View
- Swine Flu Symptoms, Diagnosis, and Vaccination
- Killer Cold Virus Facts
- Strep Throat Diagnosis & Treatment
Medications & Supplements
- cephalexin, Keflex
- amoxicillin (Amoxil, Moxatag, Larotid)
- benzonatate (Tessalon Perles, Zonatuss - discontinued in the US)
- oseltamivir - oral, Tamiflu
- oseltamivir suspension - oral, Tamiflu
- cefuroxime, Ceftin, Zinacef
- Penicillin (Antibiotics)
- cefpodoxime proxetil (Vantin, Banan) for Infections
- cefixime (Suprax)
- benzydamine (oral rinse)
- cefprozil, Cefzil
- cefadroxil, Duricef (Discontinued)
- loratadine and pseudoephedrine (Alavert Allergy & Sinus, Claritin-D, Claritin-D 24 hour)
- penicillin V, (Veetids and Pen-Vee-K have been discontinued)
- cefaclor, Raniclor
- aspirin gum - oral, Aspergum
- fenugreek (trigonella foenum-graecum) - oral
- ceftibuten suspension - oral, Cedax
Prevention & Wellness
- Chlorine and Pee May Cause Breathing Troubles
- Throat Bacteria Linked to Bone and Joint Infection in Kids
- Health Tip: Flu Season is Around the Corner
- Shifting Weather Can Unleash Pollen 'Superburst'
- Health Tip: How to Spot a Sprained Neck
- Health Tip: Stave Off Cold Symptoms for Better Sleep
- Is It Wise to Take a Steroid for a Sore Throat?
- Parents Don't Always Head to Child's Doctor When Illness Strikes
- Health Tip: Identifying Signs of the Common Cold
- Should More Kids Have Their Tonsils Out?
- Doctors Describe First U.S. Case of Locally Acquired Zika in Pregnancy
- Is It a Cold or the Flu? Here's How to Tell
- Health Tip: Recognize Signs of Strep Throat
- Health Tip: Need Pain Relief?
- Acute Flaccid Myelitis Cases Rising in Kids: FAQ
- Measles Outbreak Among Amish Highlights Need for Vaccinations
- How to Protect Yourself From the Seasonal Flu
- Many Adults Use Antibiotics Without Consulting Doctor, Survey Finds
- Can an Antibiotic Help You? Quick Test Might Someday Tell
- U.K. Case of Throat Gonorrhea Resists Antibiotics
- Health Tip: Easing Sore Throat Pain
- No Antibiotics for Common Respiratory Infections: Experts
- 150 People May Have Had Contact With Lassa Fever Victim: CDC
- 1 in 5 Sore Throats Tied to Scary Bacteria, Study Finds
- Bad Flu Season Continues to Take Toll, Especially Among the Young and Old
- Health Tip: What's Behind Your Sore Throat?
- Brain Scans Yield Clues to Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
- E-Doctors: Virtual Visits Give Patients Options
- Ebola Outbreak Could Infect 20,000 People, U.N. Says
- FDA Approves New Drug to Treat COPD
- Anoro Ellipta Approved for COPD
- Tonsillectomy Might Be Worth It for Some Adults
- Flu Continues to Wane, but Deaths Still Epidemic
- Health Tip: Make Sure Kids Get Enough Water
- Health Tip: Is That Sore Throat Strep?
- Health Tip: What's Behind a Sore Throat?
- Kids' Strep Throat: Likely No Need to Lose Tonsils
- New Strep Throat Guidelines Tackle Antibiotic Resistance
- Generic Singulair Approved
- New Swine Flu Outbreak Worries CDC
- Exercise, Meditation Can Beat Back Cold, Flu, Study Finds
- Summertime Is Tonsillectomy Time
- Cough Medicine and Cough Syrups
- Health Tip: When Baby Has a Fever
- Many Call Center Workers Plagued by Voice Woes
- Health Tip: A Sprain in the Neck
- Limit Cold Medications During Pregnancy, Experts Advise
- Acne Patients Who Take Antibiotics May Get More Sore Throats
- FDA Approves First Combo Drug for Diabetes, Cholesterol
- Man Flu: Is Job Stress to Blame?
- 1 in 6 Americans Gets Food-borne Illness
- Flu Vaccine FAQ
- Vitamin D May Cut Risk of Flu
- Recall of Kids' Tylenol, Motrin, Zyrtec, Benadryl
- Swine Flu 101: College Survival Tips
- Swine Flu and the Elderly
- Common Cold: Too Sick to Work?
- An American's H1N1 Swine Flu Experience in London: One Patient's Story
- When to Call the Doctor About Flu
- Cover Your Cough!
- On the Teen Scene: When Mono Takes You Out of the Action
- Cold, or Seasonal Allergies?
- Sick Building Syndrome
- Sore Throat? Could Be Strep Throat
Subscribe to MedicineNet's General Health Newsletter