Sore throat (throat pain) usually is described as pain or discomfort in the throat area. A sore throat may be caused by bacterial infections, viral infections, toxins, irritants, trauma, or injury to the throat area. Common symptoms of a sore throat include a fever, cough, runny nose, hoarseness, earaches, sneezing, and body aches. Home remedies for a sore throat include warm soothing liquids and throat lozenges. OTC remedies for a sore throat include OTC pain relievers such as ibuprofen or acetaminophen. Antibiotics may be necessary for some cases of sore throat.Read more: Sore Throat Article
Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
Allergies Quiz: Symptoms & Home Remedies
What are the causes of allergies? This online quiz challenges your knowledge of common food and household allergens,...
Smoking Quiz: How to Quit Smoking
You know it's time you quit smoking. Learn the myths and facts about quitting smoking with the Smoking Quiz. When it comes to...
Common Cold Quiz: Test Your Medical IQ
Take this quiz to learn the truth behind the infectious, contagious, uncomfortable disease known as the common cold. Test your...
Cold & Flu Quiz: Influenza vs. Common Cold
Aches? Pain? Fever? This Cold & Flu Quiz tests your knowledge on the difference between coming down with the common cold and...
GERD Quiz: Test Your Digestive Diseases IQ
Who is at risk for developing GERD? Are you? Take this quiz to learn what GERD is, if you're at risk, and what you can do about...
Strep (Streptococcal) Throat Infection Quiz: Test Your Infectious Disease IQ
Take the Strep (Streptococcal) Throat Infection Quiz to learn about causes, symptoms, treatments, prevention methods, diagnosis,...
Chronic Fatigue Syndrome Quiz: Symptoms & Treatment
Exhausted all the time? Maybe it's not all in the mind. Take the Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFS) Quiz to learn more about tricky...
Picture of Infectious Mononucleosis
A specific viral infection (with the Epstein-Barr virus) in which there is an increase of white blood cells that are mononuclear...
Picture of Infectious Mononucleosis
"Mono" and "kissing disease" are popular terms for this very common illness caused by the Epstein-Barr virus (EBV). See a picture...
Picture of Yeast Infections (Thrush in Babies)
Thrush is a yeast infection that causes white patches in the mouth and on the tongue. See a picture of Yeast Infection (Thrush)...
Picture of Lymph Nodes
Also sometimes referred to as lymph glands, lymph nodes are small rounded or bean-shaped masses of lymphatic tissue surrounded by...
Picture of Gastroesophageal Reflux (GERD)
The stomach contents regurgitate and back up (reflux) into the esophagus The food in the stomach is partially digested by...
Picture of Influenza Virus
The flu is caused by viruses that infect the respiratory tract which are divided into three types, designated A, B, and C. See a...
Picture of Sinuses
The sinuses are an air-filled cavity in a dense portion of a skull bone. See a picture of the Sinuses and learn more about the...
Natural Remedies for Cold and Flu
What natural remedies work for the flu and common cold? Many claim cold symptoms and flu symptoms can be relieved with Echinacea,...
How to Prevent the Common Cold
The common cold is arguably the most common human illness. Learn how long the common cold lasts, treatment for the common cold...
Home Allergy Quiz: Is Your Home Allergy-Proof?
Take this home allergy quiz and test your knowledge on allergens, dust mites, pollens and more to see how allergy-proof your home...
Sore Throat or Strep Throat? How to Tell the Difference
Explore the types and causes of a sore throat through pictures, including strep throat, and learn how to find relief from that...
When Animal (Allergies) Attack: Pet Allergy Symptoms, Treatment
How do you control and relieve pet allergies? How do you prevent pet allergies? Learn dog and cat allergy symptoms, the cause of...
Sinus Infection (Sinusitis) Symptoms & Treatment
Sinus infection (sinusitis) symptoms can include headaches, a sore throat, and toothaches. Chronic sinusitis may be caused by...
Pictures of Allergy Relief Tips at Home: AC Filters, Electronic Air Cleaners, and More
Learn how a combination of medication, preventing allergens, and allergy relief products can reduce allergy symptoms and help you...
Nasal Irrigation: Natural Relief for Cold & Allergy Symptoms
Nasal irrigation can relieve sinus symptoms associated with colds & allergies. Learn how nasal irrigation can help unclog sinuses...
Effects of Secondhand Smoke: Facts
The effects of secondhand smoke can be hazardous to your health. Secondhand smoke can lead to lung cancer, heart disease, and...
Thyroid Problems Explained
Learn about thyroid problems such as hyperthyroidism, hypothyroidism, thyroid cancer, and more. Discover symptoms and treatments...
The Most Common Food Allergies for Kids and Adults
What common food allergens cause the most problems for adults and children? See this list of common food allergies and learn to...
10 Foods to Eat When You Have the Flu in Pictures
If you're sick with the flu, you'll want to know the best foods to make you feel better. Learn some of the soothing, nutritious...
Out-of-Control Allergy Symptoms: Treatment Relief in Pictures
Learn 10 signs your allergies are out of control. See these surprising allergy symptoms and find out how to get relief for...
Chronic Pain Syndrome: Treatment and Management for CPS
What is chronic pain syndrome (CPS)? See causes, symptoms and treatment options including medications. Learn about pain...
Cold and Flu: Finding Relief for Your Cough
Remedies for coughing to relieve symptoms, thin mucus, and clear phlegm include cough syrup and honey in hot water. Use...
Cold, Fever and Flu Treatment in Children: Medications and Home Remedies
Colds and fevers are some of the most common ailments in children. Learn common cold symptoms, treatment options, over the...
Bacterial Infections 101: Types, Symptoms, and Treatments
Learn more about bacteria and the most common bacterial infections. Get more information on bacterial skin infections, which...
Enterovirus D68 (EV-D68): Symptoms and Treatment
What is Enterovirus D68? Learn about causes, symptoms and treatment for this deadly strain of EV-D68 virus that has sickened...
Viral Infection Types, Treatment, and Prevention
Watch this slideshow on Viral Infections and learn about types, treatment, and prevention of illnesses caused by viruses....
A Cold or The Flu? How to Tell the Difference
Learn common symptoms of a cold and the flu. Discover the difference between a cold and the flu. Read about cold and flu...
Germs: Everyday Items with the Most Bacteria
Explore the germiest places you may encounter daily. Bacteria is everywhere. Learn tips to avoid germs and bacteria in public...
Home Remedies for the Flu or a Cold
Watch this pictures slideshow and learn about home remedies for sick children. Get tips on how to treat a sore throat, cough,...
Head and Neck Cancers: Symptoms and Treatments
Head and neck cancers include cancers of the throat, lips, nose, mouth, larynx, and salivary glands. They are more likely to...
Heartburn (Acid Reflux, GERD): Causes and Remedies
Heartburn is a symptom of acid reflux that causes chest pain when stomach acid backs up into the esophagus. Heartburn symptoms...
Related Disease Conditions
Tonsillitis (Adnoiditis, Symptoms, Home Treatment, Pictures, Causes)
Tonsillitis is a contagious infection with symptoms of bad breath, snoring, congestion, headache, hoarseness, laryngitis,...
People with bulimia nervosa, an eating disorder that involves episodes of bingeing and purging, experience symptoms and signs...
The common cold (viral upper respiratory tract infection) is a contagious illness that may be caused by various viruses. Symptoms...
Croup Sounds, Symptoms, Causes, Remedies, and Treatments
Croup is a contagious viral infection that affects children's respiratory system. Symptoms include a barking cough, stridor,...
Although a fever technically is any body temperature above the normal of 98.6 F (37 C), in practice, a person is usually not...
Influenza (flu) is a respiratory illness caused by a virus. Flu symptoms include fever, cough, sore throat, runny nose, headache,...
GERD (Acid Reflux, Heartburn)
GERD (gastroesophageal reflux disease) is a condition in which the acidified liquid contents of the stomach backs up into the...
Hay Fever (Allergic Rhinitis)
Hay fever (allergic rhinitis) is an irritation of the nose caused by pollen and is associated with the following allergic...
Infectious mononucleosis is a virus infection in which there is an increase of white blood cells that are mononuclear (with a...
Reflux Laryngitis (Diet, Home Remedies, Medicine)
Reflux laryngitis is caused by acid refluxing back up through the esophagus and voice box. Reflux laryngitis causes irritation...
Sinus Infection (Sinusitis)
Sinus infection (sinusitis) is caused by allergies, infection, and chemicals or other irritants of sinuses. Signs and symptoms...
Sexually Transmitted Diseases in Women (STD)
Sexually transmitted diseases, or STDs, are infections that are transmitted during any type of sexual exposure, including...
Strep Throat (Treatment, Causes, Home Remedies)
Strep throat is a bacterial infection of the throat. Signs and symptoms of strep throat include headache, nausea,...
Cough (Chronic, Persistent Cough in Adults and Children)
Chronic cough is a cough that does not go away and is generally a symptom of another disorder such as asthma, allergic...
Mumps is an acute viral illness caused by the mumps virus. Symptoms of mumps include fever, headache, muscle aches, tiredness,...
Ear Infection (Otitis Media)
Middle ear infection or inflammation (otitis media) is inflammation of the middle ear. There are two forms of this type of ear...
Coxsackieviruses may be divided into two groups. Type A causes hand, foot, and mouth disease and conjunctivitis, while type B...
Swallowing Problems (Dysphasia)
Dysphagia or difficulty in swallowing, swallowing problems. Dysphagia is due to problems in nerve or muscle control. It is...
Measles (rubeola) is a highly contagious disease that's caused by a virus. Symptoms include a rash, high fever, cough, runny...
Chronic Rhinitis and Post-Nasal Drip (Symptoms, Treatment)
Chronic rhinitis and post-nasal drip symptoms include an itchy, runny nose, sneezing, itchy ears, eyes, and throat. Seasonal...
Gonorrhea In Women
Gonorrhea is a bacterial infection transmitted during sexual contact. In women, symptoms include a yellow vaginal discharge,...
Chlamydia in Women (Symptoms and Cures)
Chlamydia is the most common sexually transmitted disease in the U.S. Signs and symptoms of chlamydia, a bacterial infection,...
An allergy refers to a misguided reaction by our immune system in response to bodily contact with certain foreign substances. ...
Cold, Flu, Allergy Treatments
Before treating a cold, the flu, or allergies with over-the-counter (OTC) medications, it's important to know what's causing the...
Allergy Treatment Begins At Home
Avoiding allergy triggers at home is one of the best ways to prevent allergy symptoms. Controlling temperature, humidity, and...
Indoor allergens are substances that can cause an allergic reaction in some people. Common sources of indoor allergens include...
Cytomegalovirus (CMV) is a virus that is spread from person to person via spit, semen, vaginal secretions, urine, blood, sexual...
GERD and GER (Acid Reflux) in Infants and Children
GERD (gastroesophageal reflux disease) is the upward movement of stomach content, including acid, into the esophagus and...
Sexually Transmitted Diseases and Pregnancy (STDs)
When you are pregnant, many sexually transmitted diseases (STDs) can be especially harmful to you and your baby. These STDs...
Sick Building Syndrome
Multiple chemical sensitivity (MCS) or also referred to as sick building syndrome or environmental illness is the name given by...
Dry Mouth (Xerostomia)
Dry mouth is a common side effect of many prescription and non-prescription drugs and certain medical conditions. Symptoms of dry...
Bird Flu (Avian Influenza, Avian Flu)
Bird flu (avian flu, avian influenza) infection in humans may result from contact with infected poultry. There is a vaccine to...
Head and Neck Cancer
Head and neck cancer is cancer of the oral cavity, salivary glands, paranasal sinuses and nasal cavity, pharynx, larynx, or lymph...
Adenovirus infection, particularly Ad14, or the "killer cold virus" has been on the increase in the past two years. Symptoms...
Nasopharyngeal cancer is a form of cancer in which malignant cells form in the nasopharynx tissues. Risk factors include being of...
Swollen Lymph Nodes (Glands): Pictures, Causes, Locations, Symptoms, Treatments
Lymph nodes help the body's immune system fight infections. Causes of swollen lymph nodes (glands) may include infection (viral,...
Novel H1N1 influenza A virus infection (swine flu) is an infection that generally is transferred from an infected pig to a human,...
Laryngitis is an inflammation of the voice box (vocal cords). The most common cause of acute laryngitis is infection, which...
Rheumatic fever is a disease that sometimes occurs after a group A streptococcal infection of the throat. Symptoms and signs...
A polio infection causes symptoms and signs such as paralysis, limb deformities, and even death. There is no curative treatment...
Upper Respiratory Tract Infection
An upper respiratory infection is a contagious infection of the structures of the upper respiratory tract, which includes the...
Secondhand smoke can cause illness and disease in nonsmokers. Some of these conditions include lung cancer, heart disease,...
Scarlet Fever (Scarlatina)
Scarlet fever, a bacterial infection caused by group A Streptococcus bacteria, causes symptoms and signs such as fever, rash with...
Heartburn (Acid Reflux) Symptoms, Relief Medicine, Cures
Heartburn is a burning sensation experienced from acid reflux (GERD). Symptoms of heartburn include chest pain, burning in the...
Children's Cough Causes and Treatments
Children's cough causes include infection, acid reflux, asthma, allergies or sinus infection, whooping cough, and exposure to...
Sore Throat Home Remedies (Soothe, Pain Relief)
Natural and home remedies for sore throat symptoms and pain relief include essential oils, licorice gargles, slippery elm...
Enterovirus (Non-Polio Enterovirus Infection)
Non-polio enteroviruses cause a variety of infections, including aseptic meningitis, hand, foot, and mouth disease, herpangina,...
Is Strep Throat Contagious?
Strep throat is caused by group A streptococcus bacterium. Symptoms of strep throat include sore throat, white patches or spots...
Lassa fever is a viral hemorrhagic fever that causes flu-like symptoms. Ribavirin is the standard treatment for Lassa fever....
Is Sore Throat (Pharyngitis) Contagious?
The medical term for a sore throat is pharyngitis. There are many causes of a sore throat such as medications, diseases (GERD,...
Is the Ebola Virus Contagious?
Ebola hemorrhagic fever is a highly contagious disease that is transmitted through direct contact. Ebola's incubation period...
Epstein-Barr Virus (EBV)
The Epstein-Barr virus (EBV) is a common cause of mononucleosis (viral pharyngitis). Symptoms and signs of an EBV infection...
19 Tips on How to Stop a Cough
Coughing is a reflex that helps a person clear their airways of irritants. There are many causes of an excessive or severe...
Hookahs vs. Cigarette Smoking (Addiction and Health Dangers)
A hookah is a water pipe that's used to smoke flavored tobacco like watermelon, licorice, coconut, chocolate, cherry, mint,...
Heartburn vs. Acid Reflux (Differences and Similarities)
Heartburn and acid reflux are not the same thing. Heartburn is actually a symptom of acid reflux. Heartburn gets its name...
Cold vs. Flu
Though the common cold and flu share many signs and symptoms, they are caused by different viruses. Signs and symptoms include...
Cold and Cough Medicine for Infants and Children
The safety of giving infants and children over-the-counter (OTC) cold and cough medicine is important for caregivers to...
Are You Too Sick to Work?
When you're not feeling well, it may be difficult to decide whether to stay home or go to school or work. Conditions that are...
Ear Infection Home Treatment
Infections of the outer, middle, and inner ear usually are caused by viruses. Most outer (swimmer's ear) and middle ear...
Inner Ear Infection (Symptoms, Signs, Treatments, Home Remedies)
An inner ear infection or otitis interna is caused by viruses or bacteria and can occur in both adults and children. An inner...
Treatment & Diagnosis
- Allergies FAQs
- Smoking FAQs
- Cold & Flu FAQs
- Chronic Fatigue FAQs
- Common Cold FAQs
- Strep Streptococcal Throat Infection FAQs
- GERD Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease FAQs
- Killer Cold Virus (Adenovirus Strains)
- Hotel Hygiene: Is Your Hotel Making You Sick?
- Swine Flu: One New York City Pediatrician's View
- Swine Flu Symptoms, Diagnosis, and Vaccination
- Strep Throat Diagnosis & Treatment
- Tonsillectomy: Does My Child Need a Tonsillectomy?
- What Is Cryptic Tonsillitis?
- How Long Does It Take Strep to Go Away?
- Bird Flu: What Is Bird Flu? Should We Be Concerned?
- Strep Throat Complications
- How Does a Person Catch Swine Flu?
- Sore Throat: Is It Mono or Strep Throat?
- Strep Throat Symptoms
- Sore Throat Symptoms
- Flu: What to Do if You Get the Flu
- Sore Throat: Virus or Strep?
- Strep Throat Natural Home Remedies
- Cat Scratch: What Is Cat Scratch Disease?
Medications & Supplements
- oseltamivir - oral, Tamiflu
- oseltamivir suspension - oral, Tamiflu
- amoxicillin (Amoxil, Moxatag, Larotid)
- aspirin (acetylsalicylic acid, Bayer, Ecotrin, and others)
- cefaclor, Raniclor
- cefuroxime, Ceftin, Zinacef
- cefprozil, Cefzil
- cephalexin (Keflex)
- cefixime (Suprax)
- penicillin V, (Veetids and Pen-Vee-K have been discontinued)
- loratadine and pseudoephedrine (Alavert Allergy & Sinus, Claritin-D, Claritin-D 24 hour)
- cefadroxil, Duricef (Discontinued)
- benzonatate (Tessalon Perles, Zonatuss - discontinued in the US)
- Nonsteroidal Antiinflammatory Drugs (NSAIDs)
- Antihistamines (Oral)
- aspirin gum - oral, Aspergum
- benzydamine (oral rinse)
- cefpodoxime proxetil (Vantin, Banan) for Infections
- Antihistamine Shots (Injections)
- fenugreek (trigonella foenum-graecum) - oral
- Penicillin (Antibiotics)
- ceftibuten suspension - oral, Cedax
- Aspirin vs. NSAIDs (Side Effect and Use Differences)
- Cipro, XR (ciprofloxacin) vs. Keflex (cephalexin)
- Cefdinir vs. cefixime (Suprax) 3rd Generation Antibiotics
Prevention & Wellness
- Scientists Are Targeting the Common Cold
- Will These 2 Home Remedies Help Your Sore Throat?
- From Horses to Humans: Uncovering a Clue to Sore Throats
- Chlorine and Pee May Cause Breathing Troubles
- Throat Bacteria Linked to Bone and Joint Infection in Kids
- Health Tip: Flu Season is Around the Corner
- Shifting Weather Can Unleash Pollen 'Superburst'
- Health Tip: How to Spot a Sprained Neck
- Health Tip: Stave Off Cold Symptoms for Better Sleep
- Is It Wise to Take a Steroid for a Sore Throat?
- Parents Don't Always Head to Child's Doctor When Illness Strikes
- Health Tip: Identifying Signs of the Common Cold
- Should More Kids Have Their Tonsils Out?
- Doctors Describe First U.S. Case of Locally Acquired Zika in Pregnancy
- Is It a Cold or the Flu? Here's How to Tell
- Health Tip: Recognize Signs of Strep Throat
- Health Tip: Need Pain Relief?
- Acute Flaccid Myelitis Cases Rising in Kids: FAQ
- Measles Outbreak Among Amish Highlights Need for Vaccinations
- How to Protect Yourself From the Seasonal Flu
- Many Adults Use Antibiotics Without Consulting Doctor, Survey Finds
- Can an Antibiotic Help You? Quick Test Might Someday Tell
- U.K. Case of Throat Gonorrhea Resists Antibiotics
- Health Tip: Easing Sore Throat Pain
- No Antibiotics for Common Respiratory Infections: Experts
- 150 People May Have Had Contact With Lassa Fever Victim: CDC
- 1 in 5 Sore Throats Tied to Scary Bacteria, Study Finds
- Bad Flu Season Continues to Take Toll, Especially Among the Young and Old
- Health Tip: What's Behind Your Sore Throat?
- Brain Scans Yield Clues to Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
- E-Doctors: Virtual Visits Give Patients Options
- Ebola Outbreak Could Infect 20,000 People, U.N. Says
- FDA Approves New Drug to Treat COPD
- Anoro Ellipta Approved for COPD
- Tonsillectomy Might Be Worth It for Some Adults
- Flu Continues to Wane, but Deaths Still Epidemic
- Health Tip: Make Sure Kids Get Enough Water
- Health Tip: Is That Sore Throat Strep?
- Health Tip: What's Behind a Sore Throat?
- Kids' Strep Throat: Likely No Need to Lose Tonsils
- New Strep Throat Guidelines Tackle Antibiotic Resistance
- Generic Singulair Approved
- New Swine Flu Outbreak Worries CDC
- Exercise, Meditation Can Beat Back Cold, Flu, Study Finds
- Summertime Is Tonsillectomy Time
- Cough Medicine and Cough Syrups
- Health Tip: When Baby Has a Fever
- Many Call Center Workers Plagued by Voice Woes
- Health Tip: A Sprain in the Neck
- Limit Cold Medications During Pregnancy, Experts Advise
- Acne Patients Who Take Antibiotics May Get More Sore Throats
- FDA Approves First Combo Drug for Diabetes, Cholesterol
- Man Flu: Is Job Stress to Blame?
- 1 in 6 Americans Gets Food-borne Illness
- Flu Vaccine FAQ
- Vitamin D May Cut Risk of Flu
- Recall of Kids' Tylenol, Motrin, Zyrtec, Benadryl
- Swine Flu 101: College Survival Tips
- Swine Flu and the Elderly
- Common Cold: Too Sick to Work?
- An American's H1N1 Swine Flu Experience in London: One Patient's Story
- When to Call the Doctor About Flu
- Cover Your Cough!
- On the Teen Scene: When Mono Takes You Out of the Action
- Cold, or Seasonal Allergies?
- Sick Building Syndrome
- Sore Throat? Could Be Strep Throat
Subscribe to MedicineNet's General Health Newsletter