Patient Comments: Somnoplasty - Patient Experience

Have you undergone somnoplasty to correct your snoring? Please describe your experience. Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Roger T., 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: October 30

I both had snoring and obstructive sleep apnea. First, I had surgery to correct a deviated septum. Later I had somnoplasty several times on the turbinates of the side that still seemed obstructed, and then a second surgery on nasal passages. Finally, I had somnoplasty on the soft palate, which was the most effective, and I seldom snore and the apnea has almost totally gone away. Pain was minimal and only for a short time. Note that I also lost about 30 pounds which probably helped.

Comment from: Coffeecrisp, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 25

I had somnoplasty to the soft palate. It was more painful than described, it may have been that the area wasn't sufficiently numbed. The injections were so painful that I didn't want to have more, otherwise I might have mentioned to the doctor that I thought I still had feeling. Anyway I could feel the procedure but I was better when it was over. I am now on day 5 and it still hurts so much I can't eat (even soup), drink, or burp without wincing. But my spouse says I've already stopped snoring.

Subscribe to MedicineNet's Depression Newsletter