What is Solosec and how is it used?
- Solosec is a prescription medicine used to treat bacterial vaginal infections in adult women.
- Solosec is a nitroimidazole antibiotic, a class of medicines used to treat a broad range of parasitic and bacterial infections.
- It is not known if Solosec is safe and effective in children under 18 years of age.
What are the most important side effects and other facts about Solosec?
Do not take Solosec if you:
- are allergic to secnidazole or other nitroimidazole medicines.
Other side effects of Solosec
Solosec can cause side effects including vaginal yeast infections. Symptoms of a vaginal yeast infection include white or yellowish discharge (discharge may be lumpy or look like cottage cheese) and vaginal itching.
These are not all of the side effects of Solosec. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.
What is the dosage for Solosec?
- See “Instructions for Use” at the end of this leaflet for instructions on how to take Solosec.
- Take Solosec exactly as your healthcare provider tells you to. Do not take Solosec more often than it is prescribed. Sprinkle the entire contents of the Solosec packet onto applesauce, yogurt or pudding. The granules will not dissolve.
- Open the Solosec packet by folding over the corner marked by an arrow (see diagram) and tearing across the top.
- Sprinkle the entire contents of the Solosec packet onto applesauce, yogurt or pudding. The granules will not dissolve. Take within 30 minutes without chewing or crunching the granules.
- You can drink a glass of water after taking Solosec to help with swallowing. You should not try to dissolve the medicine in water or any other liquid.
Even though you only take 1 packet of Solosec, the medicine stays in your body and continues working for 4 days.
- Solosec may be taken before or after or during a meal.
- Take 1 entire packet of Solosec at one time. Do not take only part of the medicine and save a portion for later.
Solosec Contraindications, Pregnancy Safety and Drug Interactions
Before taking Solosec, tell your healthcare provider about all of your medical conditions, including if you:
- are pregnant or plan to become pregnant. It is not known if Solosec will harm your unborn baby. Tell your healthcare provider if you learn that you were pregnant when you took Solosec.
- are breastfeeding or plan to breastfeed. You should not breastfeed for 96 hours (4 days) after taking Solosec. Solosec may pass into breast milk. Talk with your healthcare provider about the best way to feed your baby while taking Solosec.
Solosec (secnidazole) is a nitromidazole antibiotic used to treat bacterial vaginosis. Tell your doctor if you are pregnant, plan to become pregnant, or breastfeeding as you should not take this drug.
Related Disease Conditions
Bacterial vaginosis is an abnormal vaginal condition with signs and symptoms of vaginal discharge, vaginal odor, and vaginal pain. Bacterial vaginosis results from an overgrowth of normal bacteria in the vagina. Although it may cause some disturbing symptoms (discharge and odor), it is not dangerous and cannot be passed by sex. Diagnosis becomes important to exclude serious infections like gonorrhea and Chlamydia. Many treatment options are available such as oral antibiotics and vaginal gels.
Yeast Infection vs. Bacterial Vaginosis (BV)
Yeast infections and bacterial vaginosis (BV) both cause vaginal discharge. Yeast infection discharge is thick, white, and had a cottage cheese consistency. BV discharge is whitish-gray and is thinner. Vaginal odor, irritation, and pain may also be present. Treatment of yeast infections includes over-the-counter and prescription antifungals. BV treatment involves antibiotics.
Treatment & Diagnosis
Medications & Supplements
Latest Women's Health News
Daily Health News
Health Solutions From Our Sponsors
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.