There are venomous (poisonous) and nonvenomous (nonpoisonous) snakes. A venomous snake bite penetrates the skin and injects, secretes, or spits a toxin into the penetrated wound. Symptoms of a venomous snake bite include:
- redness at the site of the bite,
- swelling at the site of the bite,
- severe pain at the site of the bite,
- nausea and vomiting
- labored breathing
- disturbed vision
- increased sweating and salivation, and
- numbness or tingling in the face or arms and legs.
Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
Summer Skin Risks: Sunburn, Bug Bites & Poison Ivy
When it comes to summer, there plenty of hazards under the sun! Take the Summer Skin Hazards Quiz and clue in on the dangers to...
Summer Skin-Hazard Pictures: Stings, Bites, Burns, and More
Don't let spider bites, sunburn, poison ivy, chigger bites, and jellyfish stings sabotage your healthy skin. Learn how you can...
Related Disease Conditions
Sepsis (blood poisoning) is a potentially deadly infection with signs and symptoms that include elevated heart rate, low or high...
Internal bleeding occurs when an artery or vein is damaged and blood to escapes the circulatory system and collects inside the...
Rhabdomyolysis is a rapid deterioration and destruction of skeletal muscle. Some of the causes of rhabdomyolysis include:...
Tetanus is an often-fatal disease caused by nerve toxins produced by the common bacteria Clostridium tetani. In a seven-day...
Nausea and Vomiting (Causes, Natural Remedies, Diet, Medication)
Nausea is an uneasiness of the stomach that often precedes vomiting. Nausea and vomiting are not diseases, but they are symptoms...
Compartment syndrome is a condition in which swelling and an increase in pressure within a limited space presses and compresses...
Cuts, Scrapes and Puncture Wounds
Cuts, scrapes, and puncture wounds are common, and most people will experience one of these in their lifetime. Evaluating the...
First aid is a complicated subject and it is situation-specific. First aid is defined as the help and medical assistance someone...
Snake Bite - Experience
Please share your experience with snake bite.Post View 3 Comments
Snake Bite - Symptoms
Please describe the symptoms you experienced from a snake bite.Post View 1 Comment
Snake Bite - Treatment
What was the treatment for a snake bite?Post
Snake Bite - Complications
Please describe any complications you experienced due to a snake bite.Post View 1 Comment
Local ResourcesFind a local Doctor in your town
Treatment & Diagnosis
Medications & Supplements
Prevention & Wellness
- Strike Back Against Snake Bites
- Snakebites a Rising Danger for U.S. Children
- Snake Bites Take Big Global Toll, Especially Among the Poor
- Opossums May Come to Humans' Rescue for Snake Anti-Venom
- What Snake Caused That Bite? New DNA Test Might Tell
- Don't Let the Warm Weather Leave You Snakebitten
- Ah, Spring . . . And a Snakebite Alert
- Cost of Snakebite Therapy May Squeeze Victims' Wallets
- Snakes Make Your Skin Crawl? Study Suggests Why
Subscribe to MedicineNet's Skin Care & Conditions Newsletter