Patient Comments: Quitting Smoking - Tips for Quitting

Did you quit smoking for good? If so, how did you do it? Please provide tips to help others who are trying to quit. Submit Your Comment

Comment from: juju, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 01

I wasn't successful in quitting smoking the first couple of times I tried. When I became more determined, I spoke to my doctor and she prescribed Chantix. This was like a miracle for me. After a few days of taking Chantix, I found myself reaching for a cigarette and realizing I didn't really want it. At that point, I knew I finally had it whipped. It's been 8 years and I haven't backslid. You have to be truly determined and stay determined in order to succeed. Perhaps once or twice a year I still have a desire to smoke, but I know if I just wait a day, the urge will go away. I love being a non-smoker and I'm saving tons of money.

Subscribe to MedicineNet's Men's Health Newsletter