Patient Comments: Quitting Smoking- Effective Treatments

What treatments have been effective to assist in quitting smoking. Submit Your Comment

Comment from: JPC1965, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: November 26

The initial step to help me quit smoking was unwanted, but it was almost necessary, I got pneumonia. Since it takes about 3 days for the nicotine to leave the bloodstream, I got to this point with no cigarettes because I was in the hospital. Another two days in the hospital and I got discharged and had no cravings for cigarettes at all, but, I still thought about cigarettes. So when I thought of a cigarettes, that slight tugging at me, I broke out the carrot sticks! Here's a trick I learned. As you pick up the carrot stick you can hold it in your fingers like a cigarette and each time you take a bite think of inhaling; a carrot! You may just replace the thought of cigarettes with the thought of carrots!

Comment from: LauraB, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: April 14

I had smoked since I was 18, and when Chantix came out, my doctor said I should give it a try. I filled the prescription on a Friday night about 5:30, had my last cigarette around 3:30 p.m., and after taking my first Chantix pill, I never wanted another cigarette! I did not crave them, was not grouchy, and did not gain weight. When I went to work Monday morning, the lady that was previously assigned to be my cube partner said she would give it a try sitting with me, but if she smelled one cigarette, she was moving. That was April 2006, and I never smoked again, nor did I want to! I had tried many times before with different devices, and even though my mother died of lung cancer (smoker), I still could not quit until I took Chantix. I had one refill just to make sure I was ok. I had no side effects whatsoever. I just retired this year (2014) and am very happy my husband and I have our retirement together!

Comment from: GymHub , 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: July 27

I don't believe that pharmaceutical drugs can help people quit smoking. I believe that freewill started us smoking, and I believe that freewill will make us quit smoking. Drugs that are under the category of nicotine replacement therapy is just another platform to generate capital for corporate America. Corporate America does not make it affordable for people to quit smoking. That is why many smokers go back to smoking, because they cannot afford the alternatives!

Comment from: Sharath, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: November 17

Day 1 is the hardest when you quit smoking. If you quit for day 1 you are free. The best way to stay away from smoke is if you get a craving just sleep for one hour. So keep doing that, whenever you get a craving just sleep on day 1. Next day is even easier and that is it. You will be nicotine free.

Comment from: terrie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 07

I was prescribed bupropion (Welbutrin) to quit smoking. I have not started the pills yet. I have been reading all that I can about this medicine because I have tried to quit many times and not succeeded. I have been prescribed varenicline (Chantix) in the past twice, and I got severely sick. In turn, I smoked even more cigarettes. I have tried the gum, patches, etc. I am not new to quitting smoking. I have quit successfully twice: The first time for four years and the second time for 10 years. Life changes bring me back to the nasty habit, such as a marriage to a smoker and a death of a beloved family member. Both of those times I quit cold turkey! I might have to do that this time.

Comment from: anna, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 07

I was very depressed, (loss of job, deaths of family members), so my therapist suggested I take Wellbutrin (Bupropion). I am now on it about 4 months and it has not helped with the urge to smoke. I have been using the patch for months. Then I buy a pack of cigarettes and smoke them and then put on a patch again. It is absolutely crazy. Now I am using the 'gum'. I had quit successfully for 10 years with the gum, but picked up again when my sister died and am now smoking for 5 years again. I am going to keep taking the Bupropin. Even though there are some side effects, my throat swells and my breathing seems suppressed and my chest feels tight. My GP said these side effects were slight and 'might' get better. I just don't want to be in a depression any more and smoking to make myself feel 'happier'. I hope the gum will help, and by reducing it over time I will be nicotine-free.

Comment from: Priscilla, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 07

I am 63 and have been smoking since I was 17. I finally decided to stop because of the price of smokes in New Jersey and the fact it's such an anti-social habit. Oh, boy! It is not easy, and now that I have read about the side effects of nicotine gum (addiction to the gum, hair loss, etc.) that scares me even more. I found that EFT tapping really helps me over the desperation times. I thought it was such a stupid thing until I tried it one day when I was close to lighting up again after three smoke-free weeks. It really helped immensely, though for the life of me I can't understand why and still feel faintly ridiculous whenever I do it.

Comment from: becky, 35-44 Female Published: May 20

I was prescribed Wellbutrin in the mid 90s, and I quit smoking the first day I took the pill. It made cigarettes taste painfully awful and it worked immediately. I stopped smoking for five years. However, I am trying to quit again without Wellbutrin and nothing seems to work. My mother and grandmother quit smoking after 40 years by placing Copenhagen in between their toes and wearing a nylon stocking over their feet when they slept or during the day. I thought they were both crazy. Neither has smoked in 15 years.

Comment from: Terri, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 20

I have been smoking for 23 years and my husband even longer. We have both tried several times to quit and tried the patches, gum, and Wellbutrin. We are trying the patch again and are doing very well. We have quit now for 15 days. I find it easier with each day. I hope us all success.

Comment from: papa budley, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: April 08

I smoked for almost 50 years and quit last year. I did it the easy way: I just said no more. I do not think that nicotine is addictive. Is it a bad habit? Yes, but is it addictive? No. If I want a juicy steak, does that mean that I'm addicted to it? I wanted a cigarette for maybe a week, and then I just forgot about it. My wife smokes, and it doesn't bother me at all.

Comment from: missy, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 17

I have been a smoker for 24 years and have tried many things to help me quit over the years including patches gum home remedies and prescription medications with no success for any length of time, I was encouraged by the results of former smokers who used Chantix as an aid but then discouraged that many insurance companies do not cover this med and the out of pocket expense is quite large for someone with limited resources. Getting help shouldn't be so hard.

Comment from: Shell, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 07

I am a 40 year old medical student and yes I smoke but I have been trying to quit. I was put on Chanix and I did quit. A week later I lit one up. Now my doctor put me on Wellbutrin. I will have been on it a week in two days. I am hoping it works.

Comment from: Sandra M., 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 07

I had tried "Bupropion", a prescription similar to Zyban, but I found it made me very ill-tempered and angry, and I ended up returning to smoking. Then my doctor started me on Chantix (which is called Champix in Canada.) It made me nauseated on a number of occasions, to the point that I had to lay down on my bed for a few minutes until it passed, even if this made me a bit late for work. But it helped me cut down on the number of cigarettes I smoked for a week or two and then I stopped altogether.

Comment from: Thomas, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: August 07

I smoked a pack a day for more than 35 years, starting as a young teenager and have previously failed to be able to stop by using acupuncture, Welbutrin, hypnosis, or several other methods. I stopped cold turkey in November of 2008 by having a cold-laser treatment in Orlando, Fla. It took 30 minutes, combined smoking cessation, stress reduction, and appetite suppressant all in one. I would have bet anything that it would not work, but I'm now a non-smoker and do not use any form of tobacco or nicotine. Check it out: It really worked for me!

Comment from: jaded, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 09

I am happy to say that I am a non-smoker now. I tried the patch, Zyban, Wellbutrin, and Chantix. What finally worked for me was good old-fashioned cold turkey. You have to get the nicotine out of your system, and it gets better.

Comment from: 25-34 Female Published: September 25

I quit smoking after 15 years as a heavy smoker using Allen Carr's book "The Easy Way to Quit Smoking." I have no urge to smoke again, nor do I miss cigarettes. The book cost less than a pack and requires no replacement therapy. I advise anyone to try it, as you really have nothing to lose.

Comment from: Want to quit, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 05

I have tried everything to try to quit: cold turkey, chewing gum, Zyban, hypnosis nothing has worked for long, I always go back. Is Chantix an option? I have read about the side effects and it is scary.

Comment from: Toxin Free, 25-34 Female (Caregiver) Published: December 17

I have been a smoker for over 20 years. Last month I did the Master Cleanse (10 day only drinking water and a special lemonade). It has been 20 days now and I have only had maybe 3 momentary cravings. Having something else to think about worked for me and the cleanse removes all the toxins in your body.

Published: December 17

I am using Chantix. I'm on my 2nd week of not smoking and am doing great. It really reduces the urge and side effects related to smoking. This is going to work for me. I have no desire to smoke.

Comment from: Genie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 28

I have recently stopped smoking using Chantix. I found it fairly easy to stop. It has now been a little over two months. I will admit that I still miss the ciggies, but I am struggling on. I hope I manage to stay a non-smoker.

Comment from: Quit smoking now, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: November 19

I used chantix and it has some side effects but even i am very comfortable with chantix only. I am started before 2 months. I feel that I left my habit.

Comment from: buttout, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 19

I have tried the patch quit for 65 days then went back and I have just started Chantix day 3 of non smoking, we will see what happens.

Comment from: Shellypoo, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 19

I am taking the medicine bupropion, and my breathing is abnormal. Is this normal to experience this, and if so, for how long?

Subscribe to MedicineNet's Men's Health Newsletter