Smoking increases the risk of heart disease in women and men. Nicotine in cigarettes decrease oxygen to the heart, increases blood pressure, blood clots, and damages coronary arteries. Learn how to quit smoking today, to prolong your life. Read more: Smoking and Heart Disease Article
Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
Smoking Quiz: How to Quit Smoking
You know it's time you quit smoking. Learn the myths and facts about quitting smoking with the Smoking Quiz. When it comes to...
Lung Cancer Risks: Myths and Facts
Learn about lung cancer myths and facts. Explore how cigar smoke, menthol, and pollution can increase your risk of lung cancer...
Related Disease Conditions
A stroke is an interruption of the blood supply to part of the brain caused by either a blood clot (ischemic) or bleeding...
Pregnancy (Week By Week, Trimesters)
Signs and symptoms of pregnancy vary by stage (trimester). The earliest pregnancy symptom is typically a missed period, but...
How the Heart Works
The heart is a very important organ in the body. It is responsible for continuously pumping oxygen and nutrient-rich blood...
Heart Attack Symptoms and Early Warning Signs
Recognizing heart attack symptoms and signs can help save your life or that of someone you love. Some heart attack symptoms,...
Gum disease is caused by plaque and may result in tooth loss without proper treatment. Symptoms and signs of gum disease...
COPD vs. Emphysema (Differences Similarities)
COPD (chronic obstructive pulmonary disease) is the term doctors and other health care professionals use to describe a group of...
Peripheral Vascular Disease
Peripheral vascular disease (PVD) refers to diseases of the blood vessels (arteries and veins) located outside the heart and...
Blood clots can occur in the venous and arterial vascular system. Blood clots can form in the heart, legs, arteries, veins,...
Heart disease (coronary artery disease) occurs when plaque builds up in the coronary arteries, the vessels that supply blood to...
High Blood Pressure (Hypertension) Signs, Causes, Diet, and Treatment
High blood pressure (hypertension) is a disease in which pressure within the arteries of the body is elevated. About 75 million...
Angina (Symptoms, Causes, Types, Diagnosis, and Treatment)
Angina is chest pain due to inadequate blood supply to the heart. Angina symptoms may include chest tightness, burning,...
Lung cancer kills more men and women than any other form of cancer. Eight out of 10 lung cancers are due to tobacco smoke. Lung...
A heart attack happens when a blood clot completely obstructs a coronary artery supplying blood to the heart muscle. A heart...
High Blood Pressure Treatment (Natural Home Remedies, Diet, Medications)
High blood pressure (hypertension) means high pressure (tension) in the arteries. Treatment for high blood pressure include...
Intermittent claudication, or pain and cramping in the lower leg is caused by inadequate blood flow to the leg muscles. This lack...
Pericarditis (Symptoms, ECG, Types, Causes, Treatment)
Pericarditis is the inflammation of the pericardial sac that surrounds the heart. The causes of pericarditis include injury from...
Premature Ventricular Contractions (PVCs, PVC)
Premature ventricular contractions (PVCs, PVC) are premature heartbeats originating from the ventricles of the heart. PVCs are...
Vaping (e-Cigarettes, Side Effects, Dangers, Safety)
Vaping or e-cigarettes are smokable products that use refillable or replaceable cartridges or containers that contain a liquid...
Symptoms of 12 Serious Diseases and Health Problems
Learn how to recognize early warning signs and symptoms of serious diseases and health problems, for example, chronic cough,...
Fabry Disease (Symptoms and Life Expectancy)
Fabry disease (Fabry's disease, alpha-galactosidase-A) is a genetic disorder with symptoms such as burning sensations in...
High-Sensitivity Troponin Test
The high-sensitive troponin test can detect very low levels of troponin T in the blood. (There are three types of cardiac...
Emphysema is a COPD (chronic obstructive pulmonary disease) that often occurs with other obstructive pulmonary problems and...
Chewing Tobacco (Smokeless Tobacco, Snuff)
Chewing tobacco (snuff or smokeless tobacco) has more nicotine absorbed into the system than by smoking a cigarette. Chewing...
Atrial Flutter (Symptoms, Causes, ECG, and Treatments)
Atrial flutter is a problem with the atria of the heart. In atrial flutter the atria of the heart rapidly and repeatedly beat...
Prediabetes is a situation where a person's blood sugar levels are higher than they should be, but aren't high enough to be...
Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm
Abdominal aortic aneurysm is a ballooning or widening of the main artery (the aorta) as it courses down through the abdomen. Most...
Palpitations (Causes and Symptoms)
Palpitations are uncomfortable sensations of the heart beating hard, rapidly, or irregularly. Some types of palpitations are...
Larynx Cancer (Throat Cancer)
Symptoms of cancer of the larynx, the organ at the front of the neck, include hoarseness, a lump in the neck, sore throat, cough,...
Atrial Fibrillation (AFib) Symptoms, ECG, and Treatment Medications
Atrial fibrillation (AF or AFib) is an abnormality in the heart rhythm which involves irregular and often rapid beating of the...
Smoker's Lung: Pathology Photo Essay
Smoker's lung photo essay is a collection of pictures and microscopic slides of lung disease caused by cigarette smoking....
Atrial Fibrillation vs. Ventricular Fibrillation (AFib vs VFib Symptoms, ECG Strips)
Atrial fibrillation (AF or AFib) is an abnormality in the heart rhythm which involves irregular and often rapid beating of the...
Abnormal Heart Rhythms (Heart Rhythm Disorders)
Heart rhythm disorders vary from minor palpitations, premature atrial contractions (PACs), premature ventricular contractions...
Carotid Artery Disease
The term carotid artery disease refers to the narrowing of the carotid arteries and can also be called carotid stenosis. Fatty...
Interstitial Pneumonitis (Interstitial Lung Disease)
Interstitial lung disease refers to a variety of diseased that thicken the tissue between the lungs' air sacks. Viruses,...
Atrial Fibrillation Symptoms (AFib Warning Signs)
Atrial fibrillation or AFib is a type of hear rhythm abnormality. Early warning signs and symptoms of atrial fibrillation...
Smoking (How to Quit Smoking)
Smoking is an addiction. More than 430,000 deaths occur each year in the U.S. from smoking related illnesses. Secondhand smoke or...
Wrinkles, whether they be fine line or deep furrows, typically appear on areas of the body that receive a high amount of exposure...
Heart Attack vs. Stroke Symptoms, Differences, and Similarities
Heart attack usually is caused by a clot that stops blood flow supplying oxygen to an area of heart muscle, which results in...
Heart Disease in Women
Heart disease in women has somewhat different symptoms, risk factors, and treatment compared to heart disease in men. Many women...
Heart Attack Treatment
A heart attack involves damage or death of part of the heart muscle due to a blood clot. The aim of heart attack treatment is to...
Heart Attack Pathology: Photo Essay
A heart attack is a layperson's term for a sudden blockage of a coronary artery. This photo essay includes graphics, pictures,...
Secondhand smoke can cause illness and disease in nonsmokers. Some of these conditions include lung cancer, heart disease,...
Lipodystrophy (Acquired, Generalized, Inherited)
Lipodystrophy is a syndrome in which fat deposits accumulate all over the body, or sometimes just portions of it, like just the...
Low Cholesterol Diet
Cholesterol is naturally produced by the body, and is a building block for cell membranes and hormones. Low-density lipoprotein...
Heart Attacks in Women
Heart disease, particularly coronary artery disease is the leading cause of heart attacks. Women are more likely to die from a...
Snoring is caused by the vibrations of the soft tissues at the back of the nose and throat while a person sleeps. There are many...
Nicotine is delivered to the brain through smoking, chewing, or sniffing tobacco. Nicotine is an addictive agent. Common names...
Heart Attack Prevention
Heart disease and heart attacks can be prevented by leading a healthy lifestyle with diet, exercise, and stress management....
Smoking During Pregnancy
Smoking during pregnancy increases the risk of miscarriage or stillbirth, low birth weight or premature birth, and more....
Stroke is the third leading killer in the United States. Some of the warning signs of stroke include sudden confusion, trouble...
Heart Attack Prevention Overview
Heart attacks are the major causes of unexpected, sudden death among men and women. A heart attack also is a significant cause...
Local ResourcesFind a local Doctor in your town
Treatment & Diagnosis
Medications & Supplements
- Anticoagulants (Anticoagulant Drug Class)
- Vasodilators (Drug Class Side Effects, List of Names)
- bupropion (Wellbutrin, Wellbutrin SR, Wellbutrin XL, Zyban, Aplenzin, Fortivo XL, Zyban)
- Aspirin vs. Plavix (clopidogrel)
- Nitrates (Medication)
- Congestive Heart Failure Medications
- Beta Blocker Side Effects (Adverse Effects)
- lisinopril (Zestril, Prinivil, Qbrelis) ACE Inhibitor
- colestipol (Colestid)
- Zocor (simvastatin)
- alteplase (TPA, Activase, Cathflo Activase)
- Nicorette Gum (nicotine polacrilex, Habitrol)
- nicotine patch (Nicoderm CQ, Habitrol)
- felodipine (Plendil)
- Aspirin Therapy (Guidelines for Heart Attack and Stroke Prevention)
- Entresto (sacubitril and valsartan)
- Repatha (evolocumab)
- nicotine inhaler - oral, Nicotrol
- cangrelor (Kengreal)
- nicotine spray - nasal, Nicotrol NS
Prevention & Wellness
- FDA Proposes Graphic Warning Labels on Cigarettes
- Warning Letters Sent to Companies Illegally Selling E-Liquid, Hookah Products: FDA
- Smoking Creates Long-Lasting Risk for Clogged Leg Arteries
- Anemia Linked to Higher Odds for Dementia in Seniors
- Facebook, Instagram Cut Alcohol and Tobacco Product Sales and Content
- Number of American Smokers Who've Tried to Quit Has Stalled
- Money Motivates Smokers to Quit Long Term, Study Finds
- AHA News: 5 Threats to Heart Health You May Not Be Aware Of
- 8 in 10 Americans Want Less Nicotine in Cigarettes: CDC
- AHA News: Who's Helping Smokers Quit? Probably Not Their Heart Doctor
- Young Female Smokers at Especially High Heart Risk
- Global Efforts to Cut Smoking Show Mixed Results
- AHA News: 3 Simple Steps Could Save 94 Million Lives Worldwide
- American Soldiers' Hearts in Worse Shape Than Civilians'
- AHA News: Vaping Ignites Legislative Trend to Raise Tobacco Sales Age to 21
- Vaping May Exact a Toll on Blood Vessel Health
- Unfiltered Cigarettes Are Most Deadly
- Vaping Habit Might Make You More Prone to Flu
- When E-Cig Makers Offer Promotional Items, More Teens Likely to Vape
- Your Life Span May Be Foretold in Your Heart Beats
- Unhealthy Diets May Be World's Biggest Killer
- More Americans Now Think Vaping Is Harmful
- Shift Work Is Tough on Workers' Hearts, Study Shows
- Move More, Live Longer
- Heart Disease a Growing Threat to U.S. Veterans
- Health Tip: Dangers of Teen E-Cigarette Use
- Does PTSD Really Harm Veterans' Hearts?
- Better Heart Care Saves U.S. Billions a Year, Study Finds
- Nearly Half of American Adults Have Unhealthy Hearts: Report
- Vaping Tied to Rise in Stroke, Heart Attack Risk
- Dirty Air Tied to Raised Risk of Strokes, Shorter Lives
- Vapers Exposed to Fewer Toxins Than Conventional Smokers: Study
- Smokers Who Roll Their Own Less Likely to Quit
- Smoking Bans Might Help Nonsmokers' Blood Pressure
- Vapers May Prompt Smokers to Quit: Study
- Breaking the Smoking-Drinking Connection
- Smoking, Diabetes May Be Especially Risky for Women's Hearts
- The Sooner You Quit Smoking, the Better
- High Blood Pressure in Young Adults Tied to Earlier Strokes
- E-Cigarettes Slowed Wound Healing in Animal Study
- Scientists Closer to Drug That Cuts Nicotine Dependence
- E-Cigs Continue to Spark Debate Over Health Risks/Benefits
- Smoking Seems to Weaken the Immune System: Study
- To Help Beat Heart Disease, Stay Upbeat
- Online History Gives Clues to Heart Ills
- 'Million Hearts' Project Aims to Prevent 1 Million Cardiac Crises
- Monitoring System for Underage Tobacco Sales Falls Short: Study
- Smoking, Drinking a Double Whammy for Teens' Arteries: Study
- New Wrinkle in Heart Health: Furrowed Brows May Bode Ill
- Daily Vaping Tied to Doubling of Heart Attack Risk
- 6 Steps for Promoting Heart Health in Women
- Smoking May Boost Irregular Heart Beat Risk
- Blacks Have Shorter Life Spans After Surviving Heart Stoppage: Study
- On Top of Other Challenges, Homeless Have Higher Heart Disease Risk
- 'Smoke-Free' Rooms Still Loaded With Smoke Residues, Study Finds
- Health Tip: Living With Cardiomyopathy
- As Younger Men's Smoking Rises, So Does Their Stroke Risk
- Smoking Puts Blacks at Higher Risk for Heart Failure
- Toxins in E-Cigarettes May Vary by Flavor
- No Heart Risk From Stop-Smoking Drugs Chantix and Zyban: Study
- Smokers' Diets Let Them Down, Too
- Cardiac Defects in Baby Tied to Later Heart Trouble in Moms
- Health Tip: Quit Smoking
- Hookah Smoking Carries a Poisoning Risk
- Smoking Bans May Not Rid Casinos of Smoke
- More Hardcore Smokers Trying to Kick the Habit
- 'Heat-Not-Burn Cigarettes' Aiming for U.S. Market
- Most Americans Favor Larger Health Warnings on Cigarette Packs
- E-Cigarettes Emit Toxic Vapors: Study
- More Than One-Fifth of High School Students Smoke: CDC
- Binge Drinking May Boost Blood Pressure in Young Men
- Teen Sisters Develop Ways to Measure Lung, Heart Damage
- Some Lung Patients Buy Cigarettes Along With Meds at Pharmacies: Study
- Quit-Smoking Products Won't Harm the Heart, Review Finds
- Men Who Smoke After Cancer Diagnosis Face Higher Death Risk
- Smokers Die About a Decade Earlier on Average
- Daily Aspirin May Bolster Aging Brain, Study Shows
- States Use Only Fraction of Tobacco Revenues to Fight Smoking, Study Finds
- Smoking Gene May Reveal Why Some People Smoke More
- Could Menthol Cigarettes Pose Even Higher Stroke Risk?
- Diabetes Risks Go Beyond Heart Attacks, Strokes
- Serena Williams' Pulmonary Embolism, Hematoma: FAQ
- Study Finds Smoking Linked to Breast Cancer Risk
- U.S. Breast Cancer Rates No Longer Declining