Patient Comments: Smokeless Tobacco - Experience

At what age did you first start chewing tobacco? Please share your experience, including why you started. Submit Your Comment

Comment from: chew22, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: August 25

I have been a dipper of tobacco for 41 years. I started in college, quit 2 or 3 times for 3 to 6 months during the last 41 years to always go back. It is very hard to kick the habit. I actually don't even like it! But I still can't kick the habit.

Comment from: Anil J., 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: April 28

I started tobacco chewing at the age of 30. I started because of high work load and tensions.

Comment from: mapstone14, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: March 02

When I was 6 my mom punished me by putting chewing tobacco straight in my mouth. But joke was on her because I left it in and spat it on the floor. So yeah, I have been chewing since I was 6.

Comment from: Ty, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: October 02

I started chewing Skoal and leaf tobacco at the age of 15. By the time I was 16 or 17, I chewed Copenhagen snuff. I am now 33. I quit several times over the years, the longest being for about 6 months when I enlisted in the Army. I am an avid swimmer and very healthy; except for this Copenhagen habit! Well, I just quit and am only on day 2. I'm definitely craving right now but just trying to take one day at a time, for my 3 kids and beautiful wife! Good luck to everyone else going through the same thing!

Comment from: Whiteeagle, 55-64 Male (Caregiver) Published: September 04

I'm a Gold Star father who started chewing Copenhagen snuff over 4 decades ago. I was a light smoker who had stopped smoking to get in shape for a high country back pack elk hunt in Colorado. My hunting bud from Colorado turned me on to Copenhagen. About a year ago while having a dental checkup, my dentist found a small spot on the roof on my mouth. He wasn't overly concerned, but I became aware of the potential of developing mouth cancer. I can't tell how many times I tried to stop chewing only to fall short. A woman I love very much was diagnosed with lung cancer 2 months ago. Thank goodness the cancer was found before it had a chance to spread. She is in her third week of recovery from the surgery, but it has been brutal on her as she developed an infection that spread throughout her body. I stopped chewing Copenhagen 10 months ago. I started vaporizing nicotine like the e-cigarette in lieu of smoking. If you are like me and want to stop smoking, or chewing, this is a viable alternative to ingesting nicotine into the body. It is equally addictive, but you can taper the percentage of nicotine in the oils you use down to zero. Do your own home work on this new industry. It could save your life.

Comment from: Bella, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: February 08

I started chewing tobacco pouches at age 45. I'm now 50.

Comment from: mike, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: September 22

I started chewing tobacco at 16 years old and have lost about 8 teeth and have more that are bad. I just wish I had the will to quit.

Comment from: Birdie, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: March 17

I started dipping tobacco when I was 20. My roommate and friends got me into it. I mainly dip when I drive.

Comment from: Lawrence Prai, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: July 23