Sleep apnea, or the cessation of breathing for short periods during sleep, can cause symptoms at night as well as troublesome symptoms during the day or waking hours. At night, sleep apnea is often associated with
The lack of quality sleep can cause symptoms that occur during the daylight or waking hours such as
- trouble concentrating or paying attention,
- poor memory,
- mood changes, and
- sexual dysfunction.
When complications arise, more serious symptoms can occur, such as irregular heartbeats (arrhythmias).
Sleep apnea causes
Sleep apnea is either due to a problem with the brain, such that the muscles of breathing are not activated during sleep (central sleep apnea) or collapse of the airway during sleep (obstructive sleep apnea).
Other sleep apnea symptoms and signs
- Daytime Sleepiness
- Gasping for Breath at Night
- Irregular Heartbeats
- Loud Snoring
- Mood Changes
- Poor Memory
- Problems Paying Attention
- Restlessness at Night
- Sexual Dysfunction
- Trouble Concentrating
Main Article on Sleep Apnea Symptoms and Signs
Pictures, Images, Illustrations & Quizzes
Jobs That May Ruin Your Sleep
Some jobs can lead to sleep problems like insomnia, especially for graveyard and other shift work. Learn how work can disrupt...
Sleep Disorders: Insomnia, Sleep Apnea, and More
Learn about the different types of sleep disorders such as insomnia and sleep apnea. Explore the symptoms, causes, tests and...
Sleep Quiz: Sleep Hygiene & Sleep Facts
Take our Sleeping Quiz to learn which sleep disorders, causes, and symptoms rule the night. Trouble falling or staying asleep?...
Top Reasons Children Can't Sleep in Pictures
From snoring and nightmares to sleep apnea and even you, see the bad habits that are keeping your child up all night.
Examples of Medications for Sleep Apnea Symptoms and Signs
- armodafinil (Nuvigil)
- beclomethasone - nasal, Beconase Aq, Vancenase Aq
- Belsomra (suvorexant)
- budesonide nasal inhaler (Rhinocort Allergy, Rhinocort Aqua)
- flunisolide nasal spray, Aerospan (Nasalide, Aerobid, Aerobid HFA are discontinued)
- fluticasone (Flonase, Flonase Allergy Relief)
- fluticasone furoate nasal spray (Veramyst)
- modafinil (Provigil)
- mometasone furoate (Nasonex)
- triamcinolone acetonide nasal inhaler (Nasacort)